Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:39 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:36 pm You honestly believe FUNi will “reverse” their remaster to look more like the original (or as we believe Level Set)? I doubt it. They officially posted “before” and “after”, which the “after” is trash in comparison imo. I think this is what we’ll get, unfortunately.
That seems like what will regrettably happen but at least they shared the untouched and uncompressed screenshots of their Japanese materials which look damn great! I'd happily pay way more than just $350 for it.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:40 pm

IAmTheMilkMan wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:21 pm Honestly, I still don't think the new footage looks much better, or really any different, than the 2014 BDs. I feel like they're doing their best to convince us it's better by comparing it to the worst possible releases they can. Is it really necessary to compare it to the orange bricks? Of course it's going to look better than those based on the difference in resolution alone! I feel like they're trying to trick people into thinking this is a new remaster. The comparisons to the season BDs are almost identical outside of the aspect ratio and some slight color difference. And am I seeing things, or does it look like they intentionally made the 2014 BDs look like they were just encoded worse than the new set? Hard to tell through YouTube. Both have the same amount of DVNR, but 4:3 certainly helps. Also, this trailer intentionally pointing out the flaws of their old 16:9 BDs by highlighting how much picture was lost and using that as a selling point to convince us to buy their new set... it's evil. It's just evil.

Another thing, why all of the quick action shots? I just wanted to be able to focus on a single stationary shot for more than two seconds to really try and get a feel for this new set, and they tried really hard to prevent me from doing that.

Also, the examples here from the blog post? Why not post them in actual HD resolution? Again, I feel like they're trying to trick people. The way they present it here, their "new" remaster looks like a DVD upscale to me (or, you know, the 2014 BDs).
I agree. They corrected the aspect ratio problem as best they could from their 3rd gen film masters, but the screenshots are STILL heavily DVNR'd (just look at the backgrounds, still look like fucking watercolors) & the color correction isn't that great. The saturation levels are still a bit too high for my liking. Hopefully they'll correct these problems for future videos, since they clearly corrected the trailer to give a better representation of what's gonna be on the discs. Still a LONG way to go, but it's better.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

SqueakyBoots
Beyond Newbie

Post by SqueakyBoots » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:40 pm

If you don't live in America and can't access Funimation's blog entry, here's what they wrote.
PremiumSalt wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:24 pm I honestly wonder if we, as a fandom, would be capable of putting enough pressure on them to release the version seen in the "before" as opposed to this smeary mess. Like obviously they'd have to put into 4:3 instead of the slightly wider ratio the film is in, but that would be far better looking than this.
What really ticks me off about this more than anything else is that those before frames look PERFECT! If Funi just gave us those in the new set, everything would be all good. I strongly feel that's what they need to do.

Lance Freeman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lance Freeman » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:40 pm

Boy am I lucky that this is prohibitively expensive for international consumers, otherwise I'd probably be all over this. I know, it's not the level sets or the Dragon Boxes, but we're never going to get those again and frankly, this is better than what we have at the consumer level.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:43 pm

Lance Freeman wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:40 pm Boy am I lucky that this is prohibitively expensive for international consumers, otherwise I'd probably be all over this. I know, it's not the level sets or the Dragon Boxes, but we're never going to get those again and frankly, this is better than what we have at the consumer level.
Hm, not really. It's like the Season Sets in 4:3 AR.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:48 pm

EDIT: removed stupid dumb statement
Last edited by Shaddy on Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:51 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:35 pm
rs_chaosmaster wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:32 pm Can everyone now admit this project is a WIP and the feedback actually will matter? I think our feedback will make a difference on this release!
FUNimation is stubborn and with the 2nd Trailer they tried to prove they were offering a superior product which is not the case. Whether they ultimately do it properly or not, we've to see.
Well, at least they are apparently listening to feedback and complaints and trying a little at a time to correct stuff. So maybe with the pressure up they will go one step further and tweak and correct it even more.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

MistaL
Beyond Newbie

Post by MistaL » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:52 pm

Shaddy wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:48 pm Does anyone here know anything about making bots on twitter, youtube and Funimation's site? Or maybe algorithms to write unique-but-similar comments about why this release is so poor? Is it worth that? Should we be above playing dirty for once to get our voices heard?
I dunno but it's pretty fucking retarded to say that on a public forum that anyone can read. You're just giving them the opportunity to say that legitimate complaints are just a small minority botspamming them.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:52 pm

Shaddy wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:48 pm Does anyone here know anything about making bots on twitter, youtube and Funimation's site? Or maybe algorithms to write unique-but-similar comments about why this release is so poor? Is it worth that? Should we be above playing dirty for once to get our voices heard?
Had people not reserved this and demanded the Level Sets, we might’ve had more of a chance.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:01 pm

Honestly I think everyone needs to let them know the before shots are perfect and if they want to sell out and produce 6k in sets just to do that!!!

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:04 pm

Positive response from Funi, the zoom is due to the low-quality source material that would be too costly to manually edit like the Level sets, so it makes a bit more sense. I'm glad they're communicating.

What they showed off in that new trailer looks pretty okay. 4:3 and the colors look better than on the Blurays. Still not enough to get my money, but I guess I'm putting my pitchfork down.

The Jackal
Not-So-Newbie

Post by The Jackal » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:05 pm

Funimation are trash. Only could a company who whored out the series over so many home releases, cock up to this degree.

I mean, why is this 4:3 boxset even a premium release? It's how the series was originally released, and should be the default. 16:9 widescreen and cranked up DNR? Who asked for that? No one. :crazy: And yet, they're still doing doing the 'Orange Box' treatment to a "premium" release?

Toei should've revoked their distribution rights from them long ago. :thumbdown:

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:06 pm

funrush wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:04 pm Positive response from Funi, the zoom is due to the low-quality source material that would be too costly to manually edit like the Level sets, so it makes a bit more sense. I'm glad they're communicating.

What they showed off in that new trailer looks pretty okay. 4:3 and the colors look better than on the Blurays. Still not enough to get my money, but I guess I'm putting my pitchfork down.
I mean, it's at least a step up from the Season BD's and what was shown on that first trailer.

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:09 pm

A step up from 0 to 0.1 is nothing to celebrate.

The before shots look nice. Fuck me.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:09 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:12 pm Here you go :D
Cheers.

Comparison V3 is here!! :) http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/YZKPNNNX

Worth noting: The blog image is the same as the YouTube screenshot from the first trailer but with the black level turned up, and a slightly wider frame.
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:14 pm
Robo4900 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:03 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:01 pm That has to do with the fact that the 16mm film prints had degraded slightly by the time Toei and Pony Canyon dug them out to create the masters for the Dragon Boxes in 2002/2003.
Source? I've seen a lot of people toss this around with no source to speak of, and I'm pretty certain it's just a rumour.
I thought that was stated somewhere as the reason why the colors had shifted from how they apparently were when the episodes were originally filmed, unless i'm just totally mistaken.
Oh. Well, the film has aged, as film does, but I thought you meant something a bit more.
Thing is, Toei stored their film in cold storage, and only took it out for the Dragon Boxes and Kai. The film should be pretty damn good; slightly shifted (the DBoxes weren't colour-corrected), but generally good.

Sorry for calling you out on this, I think you essentially had the right idea. :lol:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:06 pm
funrush wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:04 pm Positive response from Funi, the zoom is due to the low-quality source material that would be too costly to manually edit like the Level sets, so it makes a bit more sense. I'm glad they're communicating.

I mean, it's at least a step up from the Season BD's and what was shown on that first trailer.
It is not.
It has a significantly smaller frame than the Season BDs, and the only difference between it and the first trailer is they turned up the black level, which actually degrades the image.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:12 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:09 pm
eledoremassis02 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:12 pm Here you go :D
Cheers.

Comparison V3 is here!! :) http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/YZKPNNNX

Worth noting: The blog image is the same as the YouTube screenshot from the first trailer but with the black level turned up, and a slightly wider frame.
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:14 pm
Robo4900 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:03 pm

Source? I've seen a lot of people toss this around with no source to speak of, and I'm pretty certain it's just a rumour.
I thought that was stated somewhere as the reason why the colors had shifted from how they apparently were when the episodes were originally filmed, unless i'm just totally mistaken.
Oh. Well, the film has aged, as film does, but I thought you meant something a bit more.
Thing is, Toei stored their film in cold storage, and only took it out for the Dragon Boxes and Kai. The film should be pretty damn good; slightly shifted (the DBoxes weren't colour-corrected), but generally good.

Sorry for calling you out on this, I think you essentially had the right idea. :lol:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:06 pm

It is not.
It has a significantly smaller frame than the Season BDs, and the only difference between it and the first trailer is they turned up the black level, which actually degrades the image.
Apparently i must have just not been looking at those screenshots closely enough to see it, and yes upon closer inspection it does indeed appear that way but of course i still have my Dragon Boxes so i'm pretty much covered as far as the series goes.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:15 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:09 pm It is not.
Yes. But, we have seen shots where the frame is similar or gives us more image than the Dragon Boxes. That's at least something.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:16 pm

Forte224 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:15 pm
Yes. But, we have seen shots where the frame is similar or gives us more image than the Dragon Boxes. That's at least something.
They weren't using the Dragon Boxes for their comparisons, they were using Ultimate Uncut.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:17 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:16 pm
Forte224 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:15 pm
They weren't using the Dragon Boxes for their comparisons, they were using Ultimate Uncut.
I'm talking about my own personal comparisons of the Dragon Box vs Black Brick that I posted in this very thread. There are times where there is more image or the exact amount of image as the Dragon Box.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:20 pm

This series is cursed. There’s no other way to put it. Whoever at Funimation is making these decisions has to be doing this on purpose now. I cannot begin to understand their thought process.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.