Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

NewKakarot
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by NewKakarot » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:15 pm

Pretty good point. Also, I haven't been in this particular thread for long, is there a petition to spread around or anything? You know, to spread the word?

Because if so, I'd like to share it on the Kakarot page I run. It's fairly big, so I'm sure I can help a bit (though a huge part of its audience is casuals tbh)

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:17 pm

Frustratingly, they don't seem to have updated the reservation count since the new trailer. I'm honestly very curious to see how many people were convinced to pre order based on the new trailer.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:25 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:01 pm
NewKakarot wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:48 pm I lost hope already tbh. They're less than 400 orders from reaching the 3,000 reservation minimum. I've seen too many people who have just gone "good enough". And even when they recognize how awful the product they're being shown is, they'll justify it with the mention of the artbook and Banpresto Goku.

Most casuals will just watch whatever is being thrown at them without actually doing research
Yeah.

To everyone saying "good enough" and just rolling over and taking it: When this release comes out in its full sucktitude that it appears to be in, it will have been your fault, and you will have no right to complain about Funi's poor releases ever again.

But, in the meantime, damage control: Everyone, keep swamping Funi with complaints about this new level of awful they've stooped to. Don't let up for any reason other than a complete retraction of everything this release is in favour of a Level remaster.
I see where you're getting at but people didn't support the level sets. Sure it was released at a bad time, but I remember people here complaining about price per set vs. episode count or Japanese title cards or NEP, and being crap because of the crushed black and sadly (not this forum specifically) people complained about how grainy the footage was. If the level sets got the support they have now, we probably would have had the complete set (granted I think they might have ended up zooming in at some point cause I do think they bit off too much when they remastered it). But people were happy with their Dragon Boxes, and it wasn't until they were canceled that the Level sets got the attention they deserve. Now I bought the level sets (and I'm not accusing of anyone of not buying them because that's a baseless claim). For me the Levels were "good enough" but there was a time they weren't looked at and were taken for granted.

Edit: Also, what happens if you order but the reserve is filled up but the site doesnt automatically update??
Last edited by eledoremassis02 on Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:27 pm

Ugh, why can't Funi just give us a color corrected Dragon Box or just use and continue the Level Sets footage? Why is it so hard for Funimation to get things right with this franchise sometimes?

They also mentioned nothing about the audio, i'm scared we're going to be getting the optical audio for the Japanese track.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:30 pm

My tweets to Funimation. Keep in mind, I NEVER do this sort of thing.

superfan2024 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:27 pm Ugh, why can't Funi just give us a color corrected Dragon Box or just use and continue the Level Sets footage? Why is it so hard for Funimation to get things right with this franchise sometimes?
Because as I mentioned before, the Dragon Boxes were mastered in standard definition. We'd be getting a DVD release of the show in that case because that's what Toei provided Funi.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:30 pm

superfan2024 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:27 pm Ugh, why can't Funi just give us a color corrected Dragon Box or just use and continue the Level Sets footage? Why is it so hard for Funimation to get things right with this franchise sometimes?

They also mentioned nothing about the audio, i'm scared we're going to be getting the optical audio for the Japanese track.
The audio, at least we know Sabbat has is it and is interested in it. So I wouldn't put the blame on FUNi directly, rather TOEI when it comes to audio. But it would indeed suck if they couldn't use it

NewKakarot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NewKakarot » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:31 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:25 pm Also, what happens if you order but the reserve is filled up but the site doesnt automatically update??
I think the release as a whole was going to be limited to 6,000 (someone correct me if I'm wrong). So it'll probably just go to that

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:32 pm

KBABZ wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:30 pm My tweets to Funimation. Keep in mind, I NEVER do this sort of thing.

Because as I mentioned before, the Dragon Boxes were mastered in standard definition. We'd be getting a DVD release of the show in that case because that's what Toei provided Funi.
Ok, now I understand. But as for the blu-rays, why couldn't Funi just go re-do/finish up the Level Sets visuals?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:37 pm

superfan2024 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:32 pm Ok, now I understand. But as for the blu-rays, why couldn't Funi just go re-do/finish up the Level Sets visuals?
Dunno. If I were to guess though, it's sheer time. Those were done a decade ago, and any number of things could have changed since then, including the programs and machines they use to remaster old footage, or the team working on the remaster itself. If both of those facets are true, it makes more sense to start over, especially considering how shallow the Levels were able to penetrate the show. They SHOULD be used as the go-to standard for this, though.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:38 pm

superfan2024 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:27 pmThey also mentioned nothing about the audio, i'm scared we're going to be getting the optical audio for the Japanese track.
I mean, that's probably a given. Even if this release was the greatest anime remaster of all time on the video side, the chances of Toei letting FUNi use the broadcast audio are pretty slim.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:39 pm

KBABZ wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:37 pm
superfan2024 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:32 pm Ok, now I understand. But as for the blu-rays, why couldn't Funi just go re-do/finish up the Level Sets visuals?
Dunno. If I were to guess though, it's sheer time. Those were done a decade ago, and any number of things could have changed since then, including the programs and machines they use to remaster old footage, or the team working on the remaster itself. If both of those facets are true, it makes more sense to start over, especially considering how shallow the Levels were able to penetrate the show. They SHOULD be used as the go-to standard for this, though.
If that actually was the case, couldn't they have asked Toei to send them remastered footage? The same way they remastered the Bardock special a few months ago?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:51 pm

Tylerman29 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:39 pm Will there be any funi reps at KamehaCon besides actors? I can try mentioning it to Sabat but I doubt there is much he can do.
I mean, Sabat has SOME pull with the home releases, especially since he's the defacto primary dub director & producer, & MAYBE he can do something, but it ultimately IS a company decision. Can't hurt to try, though.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:52 pm

superfan2024 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:39 pm
KBABZ wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:37 pm
If that actually was the case, couldn't they have asked Toei to send them remastered footage? The same way they remastered the Bardock special a few months ago?
I mean, you're assuming Toei has remastered footage, they very well may not, and in fact there's no indication that they do. Toei would have to actually produce a remaster, and that costs a lot of money on there end, so it's not just something they can casually do to send to FUNimation.

winnersproof

Post by winnersproof » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:54 pm

I did my part and respectfully messaged them on Facebook and Twitter about my problems with this release. It's really hard not to be frustrated at this release though, especially with them showing everyone their film scans! I'm sure whatever film elements Toei has buried away somewhere look even better, but those scans Funimation posted are the best I've ever seen this series look.

Knowing that they have those scans and the broadcast audio, yet they won't/can't use them is heartbreaking as a fan. They have all the pieces for doing a fantastic release, possibly one of the best we may ever see, and they refuse to put those pieces together. Just maddening to watch happen again and again for over a decade.
VegettoEX wrote:It's completely blown out of proportion by fans who have never actually dealt with seeing Dragon Ball on a week-to-week basis before, are doing so in an era where the social media echo-chamber has never been more effective in regurgitating and parroting their own opinions back at them, have never seen something new for the first time in HD on a monitor six inches from their face, have no understanding of the animation industry, and see no irony at all in complaining about a product they have no legal right to even be watching in the first place.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:55 pm

Ok guys just because i am curious how many of you would be interested in this set if it was the before shot but still had to have the same crop as the after shot because of not being able to afford to fix all the film? Would the non DVNR and grain restoration be enough to convince anyone here to buy this set?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:56 pm

superfan2024 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:39 pm If that actually was the case, couldn't they have asked Toei to send them remastered footage? The same way they remastered the Bardock special a few months ago?
Maybe. Maybe Toei wouldn't let them, or it was cheaper for Funi to use their own internal master of the show than to additionally pay Toei to rescan such a gargantuan piece of work. And asking Toei means you're asking someone else to do it, and take it from me, you get a lot more confidence that you can do things to your standards if you aren't entrusting anyone else to the work (in other words, Funimation won't have any control over if Toei will rescan it in a way they find satisfactory).

It's also entirely possible that Funi aren't even ALLOWED by Toei to remaster anything except the third-generation master they have, outside of direct localizations like with Dragon Box Z and Kai where Toei have already done all the work (which, if true, suggests Toei isn't going to do their own remaster of Z, which is depressing...).
winnersproof wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:54 pm I did my part and respectfully messaged them on Facebook and Twitter about my problems with this release. It's really hard not to be frustrated at this release though, especially with them showing everyone their film scans!
I really appreciate you using a respectful tone there. We're not going to change anybody's mind by going all Dr. Disrespect on them.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:00 am

Robo4900 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:22 pm
KBABZ wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:17 pm
eledoremassis02 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:12 pm Here is a shot of the film master, the level set (red) and the 30th set (green). Now I think this confirms this is a new master and not the level (which seems kind of odd as it would of gave them a jump start on a bunch of episodes) but why not at least try to get the same or more out of the frame as the level set. Now I'm still ok with the 30th shot, but I figured it'd be worth asking.
They explain why in the blog post: they're trying to provide a similar amount of framing as what you might have seen on the TV when the show was originally broadcast. It's what me and Forte were arguing about earlier when I brought out this image:
The yellow box is the Dragon Box framing, the red box is the CRT overscan safety zone. If you notice, the crop on the Black Brick compared to the Levels is comparable to CRT overscan.
"no no, it's okay, we're deliberately making our remaster inferior because it used to be like that if you watched it on tv in japan back in the day. to that end we're also decreasing the detail so much that you get about the same crappy image as you'd get on a crt via coaxial, and messing up the colour settings exactly like your dad would because he thinks he knows better than the guys who built the tv and he likes the colours brighter even though it's a bad idea. don't worry guys. it's the way it's meant to be seen. 8) "

This would explain their attitude, though. They don't want the wide frame, grain, detail, etc. of properly remastered film, they want the same low detail, zoomed-in, blurry image you got on TV in the '80s/'90s.
Does someone want to tell them those old TV airings were crappy standard-def airings, though? That maybe this look isn't what a modern HD presentation should look like? That maybe the intents of the artists, and the original look of the film prints from that time are the proper way to render this stuff in HD, with HD detail?
Forte224 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:19 pm Yeah but, based on what we've seen today, most images outside of episode 1 tend to not be as zoomed. Their blog post said they're trying to cut out as little as possible. Maybe something went wrong with episode 1 and they'll go back. Hopefully. Maybe.
Y'see, that just seems contradictory:
> We're cropping it to match the old CRT images
> But we're cropping as little as possible

Seems pretty clear they're just trying to justify the ridiculous zooming.
I know he's a pariah here, so don't crucify me, but Enigmo actually made a good video showing that the way FUNi is cropping the series from the raw film masters is a bunch of bullshit. He showed how an amateur fan editor can keep as much of the raw video in the frame as possible with Photoshop. FUNi could DEFINITELY do a much better job here.
Last edited by Scsigs on Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:00 am

Alright, I think I'm gonna try and chip in and message FUNi about this. Obviously I know they have social media, but do they have a customer service email or anything like that?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:04 am

I dunno guys a shitty remaster for a shitty series, seems to go hand in hand am I right? :P

winnersproof

Post by winnersproof » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:06 am

rs_chaosmaster wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:55 pm Ok guys just because i am curious how many of you would be interested in this set if it was the before shot but still had to have the same crop as the after shot because of not being able to afford to fix all the film? Would the non DVNR and grain restoration be enough to convince anyone here to buy this set?
If episode 1 or at most a couple of others are the only ones with that extensive of cropping and the rest of the series is as open as the after pictures imply, then yes. All the other after shots look to actually have more picture than the Dragon Box Z sets, which would be great.
KBABZ wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:56 pm
winnersproof wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:54 pm I did my part and respectfully messaged them on Facebook and Twitter about my problems with this release. It's really hard not to be frustrated at this release though, especially with them showing everyone their film scans!
I really appreciate you using a respectful tone there. We're not going to change anybody's mind by going all Dr. Disrespect on them.
Agreed! The issues we have with this set are pretty serious to us and we're not going to be taken seriously if we (not that anyone here is doing this) just yell at them angrily like a YouTube comments section.
VegettoEX wrote:It's completely blown out of proportion by fans who have never actually dealt with seeing Dragon Ball on a week-to-week basis before, are doing so in an era where the social media echo-chamber has never been more effective in regurgitating and parroting their own opinions back at them, have never seen something new for the first time in HD on a monitor six inches from their face, have no understanding of the animation industry, and see no irony at all in complaining about a product they have no legal right to even be watching in the first place.