Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:55 pm

KBABZ wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:51 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:34 pmThough yet he calls himself a hardcore Dragon Ball fan, hardcore my foot. :lol:
Much, MUCH earlier in the thread I called this type of person a "Hardcore Casual" in the sense that they're being hardcore about being casual. "We'll take second best and not ANYTHING else!". The type of person who doubles-down on talking about purely the US side rather than going hardcore enough to, say, translate original Japanese materials. That sort of thing.
JohnnyCashKami wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:38 pm The quality is the same as the Season Sets. Maybe a slight improvement.
I disagree. The grading is slightly better to me, and most pertinently it's not cropped to 16:9. I thought you were going off of the original reveal trailer with the uncropped Blu-Seasons footage in it.
Shaddy wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:43 pm No I get that IE sucks, I just don't get the comment -- a broken clock being right would be if the site did load on IE and I could do things with it. Funi's bad site not working on Microsoft's bad browser is just a broken clock being broken even further.
Ah. My joke was that Funi is prescient enough to realize only a fool would use IE to browse the internet with.

Unless they actually make real improvements this is just the Season Blu-rays in 4:3 AR.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:58 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:55 pm Unless they actually make real improvements this is just the Season Blu-rays in 4:3 AR.
Because apparently 4:3 isn't a "real" improvement anymore now that it's happened.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:58 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:22 pm God, out of all the complaints, some of the comments on their blog make me cringe. Who’s the doofus that asked about Bruce Falconer? WHO CARES! Add it in later. Same with broadcasts audio. Right now we need a PROPER REMASTER!
That guy would be TheSSUltimateGoku, also known as TeenGohanFighter. He is a YouTuber who loves the Z Dub so much, including the Faulconer score. He always bashed the Kai dub and praises things like Stephanie Nadoldny’s Kid Gohan. https://www.youtube.com/user/Gohan6425/videos
He even had a brief stint on these very forums as “Gokuisasuperhero” about 2 Years Ago, and that was, to put it nicely, a disaster.
viewtopic.php?t=38175

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:11 pm

simtek34 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:58 pm
AnimeMaakuo wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:22 pm God, out of all the complaints, some of the comments on their blog make me cringe. Who’s the doofus that asked about Bruce Falconer? WHO CARES! Add it in later. Same with broadcasts audio. Right now we need a PROPER REMASTER!
That guy would be TheSSUltimateGoku, also known as TeenGohanFighter. He is a YouTuber who loves the Z Dub so much, including the Faulconer score. He always bashed the Kai dub and praises things like Stephanie Nadoldny’s Kid Gohan. https://www.youtube.com/user/Gohan6425/videos
He even had a brief stint on these very forums as “Gokuisasuperhero” about 2 Years Ago, and that was, to put it nicely, a disaster.
viewtopic.php?t=38175
I've seen his comments on videos before, and never have i seen someone that obsessed with the DBZ dub given how bad and obsolete of a dub it is.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

lansing
Beyond Newbie

Post by lansing » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:12 pm

TLM Reviews wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:29 pm So just in general, who will be getting this set from the information we have currently about it?
Not me if they don't remove their terrible DNR and the stupid color correction. I have better option anyway so it doesn't matter much whether they do it or not.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:13 pm

lansing wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:12 pm
TLM Reviews wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:29 pm So just in general, who will be getting this set from the information we have currently about it?
Not me if they don't remove their terrible DNR and the stupid color correction. I have better option anyway so it doesn't matter much whether they do it or not.
Same, i already have the Dragon Boxes so i'm likely not going to be buying it. :D

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:18 pm

KBABZ wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:58 pm Because apparently 4:3 isn't a "real" improvement anymore now that it's happened.
Because it should be a given! Creating an artificial limitation and then removing it is not what progress looks like, especially when the nature of this set implies it's a "feature" for the imaginary hardcore-but-not-so-hardcore-that-they-care-if-it-sucks audience this set is marketed to.

Mr.Poot

Post by Mr.Poot » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:25 pm

Unless they fix this which I highly doubt they will I'll just start my hunt for the Dragon Box, Dragon Box Z and Dragon Box GT wish me luck.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:29 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:11 pm I've seen his comments on videos before, never have i seen someone that obsessed with the DBZ dub given how bad and obsolete of a dub it is.
I understand on SOME LEVEL liking that stuff, coming from someone who very much enjoys the dub of the first anime. That being said, in this day and age you can only really enjoy that stuff on the same level as the Big Green and BLT dubs, where the enjoyment is in how terrible they are compared to today's standards. Or, at most, enjoy them in a purely nostalgic sense in that it's a part of your childhood, but on the understanding that this sort of thing doesn't fly anymore.
Shaddy wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:18 pm Because it should be a given! Creating an artificial limitation and then removing it is not what progress looks like, especially when the nature of this set implies it's a "feature" for the imaginary hardcore-but-not-so-hardcore-that-they-care-if-it-sucks audience this set is marketed to.
IMO on a side-by-side level it is an improvement over what we had before. I agree, it should have been there in the first place, but Funimation is like a kid in primary at this point: you have to give them credit when they're able to handwrite on the lines or else they'll NEVER start using capitals!

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:29 pm

simtek34 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:58 pmHe even had a brief stint on these very forums as “Gokuisasuperhero” about 2 Years Ago, and that was, to put it nicely, a disaster.
viewtopic.php?t=38175
Christ. Not to veer to far off topic but that was painful to read.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:33 pm

Mr.Poot wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:25 pm Unless they fix this which I highly doubt they will I'll just start my hunt for the Dragon Box, Dragon Box Z and Dragon Box GT wish me luck.
FUNi released Dragon Box Z and Dragon Box GT so you'd just need to find a replacement for Dragon Ball: Dragon Box.. maybe the Saga Sets would suit you. It's missing OP2/ED2, NEPs and the Specials. Of course, the Japanese extras are usually exclusive to Japan.

Anyway these are the specials:
- Goku Traffic Safety
- Goku Fire Brigade
- American Dragon Ball Censorship
- Textless OP1/ED1

Mr.Poot

Post by Mr.Poot » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:38 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:33 pm
Mr.Poot wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:25 pm Unless they fix this which I highly doubt they will I'll just start my hunt for the Dragon Box, Dragon Box Z and Dragon Box GT wish me luck.
FUNi released Dragon Box Z and Dragon Box GT so you'd just need to find a replacement for Dragon Ball: Dragon Box.. maybe the Saga Sets would suit you. It's missing OP2/ED2, NEPs and the Specials. Of course, the Japanese extras are usually exclusive to Japan.

- Goku Traffic Safety
- Goku Fire Brigade
- Textless OP1/ED1
I was more thinking about searching yahoo japan auctions for the Dragon Box and then trying to get a program that adds subs and dubs.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:40 pm

Mr.Poot wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:38 pm
JohnnyCashKami wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:33 pm

- Goku Traffic Safety
- Goku Fire Brigade
- Textless OP1/ED1
I was more thinking about searching yahoo japan auctions for the Dragon Box and then trying to get a program that adds subs and dubs.
That would take a lot of time but the sub patch thing is out there, haven't seen a dub patch of sorts.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:44 pm

KBABZ wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:29 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:11 pm I've seen his comments on videos before, never have i seen someone that obsessed with the DBZ dub given how bad and obsolete of a dub it is.
I understand on SOME LEVEL liking that stuff, coming from someone who very much enjoys the dub of the first anime. That being said, in this day and age you can only really enjoy that stuff on the same level as the Big Green and BLT dubs, where the enjoyment is in how terrible they are compared to today's standards. Or, at most, enjoy them in a purely nostalgic sense in that it's a part of your childhood, but on the understanding that this sort of thing doesn't fly anymore.
Shaddy wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:18 pm Because it should be a given! Creating an artificial limitation and then removing it is not what progress looks like, especially when the nature of this set implies it's a "feature" for the imaginary hardcore-but-not-so-hardcore-that-they-care-if-it-sucks audience this set is marketed to.
IMO on a side-by-side level it is an improvement over what we had before. I agree, it should have been there in the first place, but Funimation is like a kid in primary at this point: you have to give them credit when they're able to handwrite on the lines or else they'll NEVER start using capitals!
I mean i do get that to a degree, it's just that it's an old outdated dub from FUNi's early years that has since been superseded by a much superior one namely with Kai though yeah there are people nostalgic for it in spite of it's badness. Though it appears that this SSUltimateGoku guy appears to be on an entirely different level than either of those points you mention.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:51 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:44 pm I mean i do get that to a degree, it's just that it's an old outdated dub from FUNi's early years that has since been superseded by a much superior one namely with Kai though yeah there are people nostalgic for it in spite of it's badness. Though it appears that this SSUltimateGoku guy appears to be on an entirely different level than either of those points you mention.
Yeah, it's scary.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:57 pm

KBABZ wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:29 pm
I understand on SOME LEVEL liking that stuff, coming from someone who very much enjoys the dub of the first anime. That being said, in this day and age you can only really enjoy that stuff on the same level as the Big Green and BLT dubs, where the enjoyment is in how terrible they are compared to today's standards.
Off topic, but Big Green and BLT are not on the same level. BLT has decent acting, a script that in some cases is superior in accuracy compared to the Funi and BW dubs that recycled it, nowhere near as ridiculously censored as Saban Z, and fairly consistent with itself. Big Green has acting which can only be called "good" when you take the dub's rushed, low budget nature into account... and a script that's even worse than the French dub from which it originated from. Terminology is inconsistent, vague, non-existent, or in some cases even redundant. "Crystal Dragon Balls"? Seriously? Not to mention that different characters often have different actors in different movies, sometimes even in the same movie.

Don't get me wrong, a faithful, well acted, and uncut dub of Dragon Ball ep 1-13 and Dragon Ball Movie 1 would blow BLT's effort out of the water, but on a dub scale of 0-100, with 0 being complete shit and 100 being the original Japanese, BLT would probably be somewhere in the lower end of the 51-100 range.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:00 am

Mr.Poot wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:38 pm I was more thinking about searching yahoo japan auctions for the Dragon Box and then trying to get a program that adds subs and dubs.
If you go this route, I can help you out. Set up for it isn't exactly simple, so I could help step by step.
JohnnyCashKami wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:40 pm That would take a lot of time but the sub patch thing is out there, haven't seen a dub patch of sorts.
It adds dub and sub. It basically takes whatever is on recent DVD releases (Blue Bricks, Orange Bricks/FUNi Dragon Boxes, Green Bricks, DVD Movie Packs/Steelbook Movies, Bardock/Trunks 16:9 DVD) and re-times their subtitles and audio options to the Japanese Dragon Box video. It's really nice. And yes, it takes a LOT of time.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:02 am

I thought that one day FUNimation would redub Z and this could have been their near-perfect release but they're just a bunch of cheapskates. If this was a real hardcore DBZ release with Level Set quality then they could've easily charge $500-700 for it.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:02 am

Given how utterly obtuse Funi is when it comes to Dragon Ball releases, I'm honestly not even sure if failing to hit the subscriber count would even get the message through. Their takeaway would probably be to just get rid of the figure and artbook and make it a cheaper release while fixing nothing.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:05 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:02 am Given how utterly obtuse Funi is when it comes to Dragon Ball releases, I'm honestly not even sure if failing to hit the subscriber count would even get the message through. Their takeaway would probably be to just get rid of the figure and artbook and make it a cheaper release while fixing nothing.
They would more than likely attribute it to "Oh, guess no one wants 4:3".