Comparison shots from every single DBZ release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

superfan2024
Regular

Comparison shots from every single DBZ release

Post by superfan2024 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:09 pm

Now that Funimation has revealed more new shots and caps from their new blu-ray, I think it would be interesting to see comparisons between the:

- Ocean Dub/Pioneer home video releases
- Funimation in-house singles
- Ultimate Uncut Edition
- Orange Bricks/Season DVDs
- Dragon Ball Kai
- Level Sets
- Rock the Dragon Edition
- 2013/2014 Funi Blu-Rays/Season Sets
- And now the new 30th Anniversary Release/Black Bricks

Remember to use spoilers when making these comparisons so they don't take up the whole page.
Last edited by superfan2024 on Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Re: Comparison shots from every single DBZ release

Post by Danfun64 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:15 am

While you're at it, both 16:9 Kai and (where applicable) 4:3 Kai, as well as the Japanese 1" tape footage, the remastered French release, the pre-remastered censored French release, and the Intertrack master should all be included in this comparison as well.

Probably forgetting some things, though I don't know if some masters are redundant or not. What does the Italian Mediaset dub use footage wise?
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:21 am

Aww, I thought the title meant you already had some examples. I'd love to but my new PC doesn't have a disc drive so I could only provide Dragon Box shots as those are already backed up to my PC.

Can we do the whole franchise though? No real reason to limit it to DBZ.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:29 am

I always felt it'd be a fantastic idea to find a place where you could do a Definitive Comparison in this way. It's changed since Kai has limited the shot selection but I feel it could still be done well.

SuperSaiyanPan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanPan » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:13 am

I have these:

- Funimation in-house singles
- Ultimate Uncut Edition
- Orange Bricks

But I am busy and won't be free until Sunday.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:08 am

I have half the Pioneer singels, most of the FUNi singels, all the Dragon Box Z sets, and half of the first season of Dragon Ball Kai. All but the Dragon Box Z sets are ript to me external harddrive (I'll work on that), so I can certainly help with some comparisons...

I started and have comparison shots for the first three of FUNi's images on their How the Dragon Ball Z 30th Anniversary Collector’s Edition 4:3 aspect ratio was created blog post, but I can't find the fourth. Where in the episode is it? In the meantime, I'll start grabbing the others.

I'll post 'em in the morn (that's around noon PST for me. :p ).
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:35 am

I have 100% of Kai and The Final Chapters, as well as the Blue Bricks, Green Bricks, and the Dragon Box for the original series. More than happy to help out if anyone wants some imagery.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:08 am

Disclaimer: keep in mind the unfairness in comparing DVDs and BDs. Obviously DVDs are going to look blurrier being 480p rather that 1080p.

Superfan2024, you should copy and paste my spoiler tag and its contents into the opening post, and add comparison shots from others as they get posted. So that way all the shots being compared are together. I don't know how you want to organize them, but make sure they all have the option to view the full resolution. You can't really compare them otherwise.

KBABZ, could you help me out with episode 185? Be care-ful. Episode 185's first image is tricky.

SuperSaiyanPan, I need you to help me with the power of your Ultimate Uncut Editions and Orange Bricks. Like I said, Episode 185's first image is tricky. So is Episode 100's second and third images, and Episode 1's third image.

Now we just need some-one with the Levels sets and the "Season" BDs and we'll have all the easy ones.

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:20 am

Okay, got 'em! Should mention, the clip of stressed Gohan actually comes from DBZ 184, not 185.

Instead of doing my original approach of going to my bog-standard .mkv rip from who knows where, I decided to go straight for my Blu-Rays and use my new HDCP-removing streaming setup to get these shots from my PS3 instead for higher quality. Links below:

184: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Di1Iq ... WMiOV3UmUP
185a: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Zh2hL ... uebccuVemQ
185b: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Tv_mr ... P4EqsMYiIs

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:09 am

I like the idea of this thread! Wish more of these threads were available/stickied.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:20 am

linkdude20002001 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:08 am Disclaimer: keep in mind the unfairness in comparing DVDs and BDs. Obviously DVDs are going to look blurrier being 480p rather that 1080p.

Superfan2024, you should copy and paste my spoiler tag and its contents into the opening post, and add comparison shots from others as they get posted. So that way all the shots being compared are together. I don't know how you want to organize them, but make sure they all have the option to view the full resolution. You can't really compare them otherwise.

KBABZ, could you help me out with episode 185? Be care-ful. Episode 185's first image is tricky.

SuperSaiyanPan, I need you to help me with the power of your Ultimate Uncut Editions and Orange Bricks. Like I said, Episode 185's first image is tricky. So is Episode 100's second and third images, and Episode 1's third image.

Now we just need some-one with the Levels sets and the "Season" BDs and we'll have all the easy ones.

Thanks for putting this together although it would be nice to also have UUE too.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:41 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:20 am
linkdude20002001 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:08 am Disclaimer: keep in mind the unfairness in comparing DVDs and BDs. Obviously DVDs are going to look blurrier being 480p rather that 1080p.

Thanks for putting this together although it would be nice to also have UUE too.
Hmm, my local used video store has a lot the UUEs available right now. I wonder if I should use part of the $350 I didn't spend on this set to buy them? I'd rather just buy the Levels but I'll think about it.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:47 pm

What is "Funimation's Film Reel"?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:49 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:47 pm What is "Funimation's Film Reel"?
Their raw footage before any zooming or touching up of the picture is done.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:10 pm

I do have some of the releases with which i can give comparisons for of certain scenes, so i'll put some up once i get them out and all the scenes captured.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:20 pm

Forte224 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:49 pm
Where did this come from?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:26 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:20 pm
Forte224 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:49 pm
Where did this come from?
The recent blog post from FUNimation showing the before and after of their "remaster". Here's the link.

Open each image in a new tab and delete "-1024x576" from the URL to view it in full resolution.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:31 pm

KBABZ wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:20 am Okay, got 'em! Should mention, the clip of stressed Gohan actually comes from DBZ 184, not 185.
Thanks! Tho, the distressed Gohan shot WAS from 185. The previous episode recap. That’s where FUNi grabbed the screenshot from, so I did the same.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:47 pm

It's kinda interesting to me how the colors on the shot of Gohan punching a Cell Jr. are basically identical from the Single to the Raw Scan. I wonder why that is?
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:10 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:47 pm

It's kinda interesting to me how the colors on the shot of Gohan punching a Cell Jr. are basically identical from the Single to the Raw Scan. I wonder why that is?
My guess is that if one cell is damaged more than the ones before and after it, you have to zoom in too all of them to account for that one damaged cell. Some film might be more damaged than others. In other words, if you have 10 cells, and only one of them is damaged on the outside, you have to zoom the rest of them in to match that one particular cell.

And just to clarify points up above, this Funimation Reel is based off of their Masters given to them by Funi. A master is a copy of the original. Not an exact copy. For example, the original DBoxes are based off of the original film and not a 'Master'
El Conejo Malo