UPDATE: Fixed subtitle files added to OP. The Broli movie will use dub names in its subtitles, at Toei's request.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kinokima
I Live Here

Re: The Broli movie will use dub names in its subtitles, at Toei's request. Could this become the new "standard"?

Post by Kinokima » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:04 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:44 am
Kinokima wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:33 amFrieza vs Freeza isn’t even bad
In your opinion. Don't speak for everyone.
Where did I say I was speaking for everyone?

And you act like I was praising the decision I wasn’t. My whole point is this is a COMMON practice and this is not nearly as bad as some others I’ve seen where at least the spelling can have the same pronunciation.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Re: The Broli movie will use dub names in its subtitles, at Toei's request. Could this become the new "standard"?

Post by Forte224 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:22 pm

Mildly unrelated, but now the Broli Blu-ray appears to have a green tint that the web rip doesn't have. It's official, after the recent Toei Blu-ray movies, the 30th anniversary, and now the Broli Blu-ray subs and image quality, I trust Toei and FUNi with nothing anymore.

Web Rip

Blu-ray

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:24 pm

I really find this decision weird, but it kind of strengthens the notion that Funimation is the -- for lack of a better word -- official English source of Dragon Ball. Rightfully so, there's always been a huge swell of fans who rejected Funimation's name changes and creative liberties when adapting the series, but now that Toei is actually supporting those things, they're giving their stamp of approval and telling fans that those changes are what they're going with too.

On one hand, I don't like it. On the other, does it really change anything? Fans of the Japanese version can kind of create their own name spellings (because they're open to interpretation and creative liberty). I'd like to think that fans of the Japanese version don't hinge on Steve Simmons' preferred name spellings.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:24 pm

Lol.

What the fuck is with Toei and making everything green? It's getting tiresome.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:29 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:24 pm On one hand, I don't like it. On the other, does it really change anything? Fans of the Japanese version can kind of create their own name spellings (because they're open to interpretation and creative liberty). I'd like to think that fans of the Japanese version don't hinge on Steve Simmons' preferred name spellings.
It's akin to censorship from my viewpoint. Changing something because a group of people (that won't even be watching the Japanese version anyway) are too sensitive.

It also causes confusion. During the Tournament of Power for example, Beerus complimented Roshi after he got knocked out of the tournament. Since Toei's subtitles were using dub-isms, the subtitles had Beerus calling him "Master Roshi" which caused fans to think Beerus was giving him this huge amount of respect by calling him "master", when in fact he was doing nothing of the sort.

And no, I'm not 100% partial to the Simmons spellings. But dub-isms are often just outright incorrect.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:28 pm

Forte224 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:29 pm
TheGreatness25 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:24 pm On one hand, I don't like it. On the other, does it really change anything? Fans of the Japanese version can kind of create their own name spellings (because they're open to interpretation and creative liberty). I'd like to think that fans of the Japanese version don't hinge on Steve Simmons' preferred name spellings.
It's akin to censorship from my viewpoint. Changing something because a group of people (that won't even be watching the Japanese version anyway) are too sensitive.
That's a pretty big assumption for their reasoning.

It's not even really censorship either. They choose how their product is put out.

It also causes confusion. During the Tournament of Power for example, Beerus complimented Roshi after he got knocked out of the tournament. Since Toei's subtitles were using dub-isms, the subtitles had Beerus calling him "Master Roshi" which caused fans to think Beerus was giving him this huge amount of respect by calling him "master", when in fact he was doing nothing of the sort.

And no, I'm not 100% partial to the Simmons spellings. But dub-isms are often just outright incorrect.
Sure. I get that. But these instances are so few and far between that in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't impact it that badly.

For example, you're a fan. You know the proper names. You're watching the Japanese version, which doesn't rely on the subtitles at all. You still know them as their Japanese names. Those subtitles shouldn't be there in the first place, so why do they matter? They're there to help you understand the story in its native language. Nothing more.

TheOverlyMadHatter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOverlyMadHatter » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:32 pm

This stuff is starting make me think it was a Toei decision to have the English version of Hero by Flow and Cha-La Head Cha-La play in the Japanese track for the BoG US Blu-ray. The dub names in the Crunchyroll subs and dubtitles for Chozetsu Dynamic in the FUNi BDs would suddenly make a lot more sense too.
Last edited by TheOverlyMadHatter on Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:32 pm

This makes my blood boil. Just...why? If I wanted the dub names, I'd watch the ****ing dub.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:37 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:28 pm
Forte224 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:29 pm
That's a pretty big assumption for their reasoning.

It's not even really censorship either. They choose how their product is put out.

Sure. I get that. But these instances are so few and far between that in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't impact it that badly.

For example, you're a fan. You know the proper names. You're watching the Japanese version, which doesn't rely on the subtitles at all. You still know them as their Japanese names. Those subtitles shouldn't be there in the first place, so why do they matter? They're there to help you understand the story in its native language. Nothing more.
I honestly have no clue why you're defending this. It's incorrect subtitles on the screen. I don't want to be reminded of FUNimation's pointless dub changes while watching the Japanese version.

And why is it "a pretty big assumption for their reasoning"? What else could it be? They were just bored one day and said "Hey ya know what? Let's force them to use dub names in their subtitles, LOL"?

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:00 pm

Bra changed to Bulla and Beers changed to Beerus on FUNi's release are both confirmed now too.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:12 pm

Forte224 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:22 pm Mildly unrelated, but now the Broli Blu-ray appears to have a green tint that the web rip doesn't have. It's official, after the recent Toei Blu-ray movies, the 30th anniversary, and now the Broli Blu-ray subs and image quality, I trust Toei and FUNi with nothing anymore.

Web Rip

Blu-ray
Urge to pirate rising.

Honestly what the fuck is the point of this?
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:15 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:12 pm
Forte224 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:22 pm Mildly unrelated, but now the Broli Blu-ray appears to have a green tint that the web rip doesn't have. It's official, after the recent Toei Blu-ray movies, the 30th anniversary, and now the Broli Blu-ray subs and image quality, I trust Toei and FUNi with nothing anymore.
Urge to pirate rising.

Right? Something is up with Toei, this green tint thing has been an issue for so long now.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:17 pm

Forte224 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:15 pm
Cursed Lemon wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:12 pm
Urge to pirate rising.

Right? Something is up with Toei, this green tint thing has been an issue for so long now.
Someone at Toei clearly thinks it looks good. Or maybe they still haven't calibrated their monitors haha.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:24 pm

Hey if I own the Blu-ray, downloading the web rip with corrected subs is perfectly acceptable in my opinion. I bought it, now I want to also have a virtual copy with corrections.

As for the changes, Beerus in my opinion is fine, I didn't even know some people spelled it 'Beers'. Bra to Bulla is just obnoxious, thanks for ruining the whole point of the pun. Fry-za is pretty self-explanatory.

I can usually just ignore this like when Crunchyroll subbed Kaioken as 'King Kai's Fist' because I know what they're saying, but it's still just obnoxious. Like PremiumSalt said, if I wanted dub shit, I'd switch to the fucking dub. It's obnoxious.

EDIT - I didn't realize how many times I used it until I read my post. The word 'obnoxious' truly does sum up my feelings on this.
Last edited by Char Aznable on Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:29 pm

At least with Crunchyroll is a cheap $6 per month service that gets me a ton of other shows. And it...kind of made sense there, since dub fans were stuck with Japanese and English subtitles for the longest time (even though the changes were still annoying). But to pay $25 for this single movie that has a dub track on it anyway...yeesh.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:05 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:28 pmSure. I get that. But these instances are so few and far between that in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't impact it that badly.

It absolutely makes an impact! Fans watching that series for the first time will think the subtitle names are correct. We don't need EVERYONE to go around with complete disregard for "Freeza" and "Coola". "Frieza" and "Cooler" is just about the dumbest thing ever.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:39 pm

Shit.. green tint and the known dubnames? They really want fans to almost do the releases practically themselves, for free. Piracy is frowned upon but the "pirates" can at times do a much better job than distributors do.

@ Kinokima You kind of implied it.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:19 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:39 pm Shit.. green tint and the known dubnames? They really want fans to almost do the releases practically themselves, for free. Piracy is frowned upon but the "pirates" can at times do a much better job than distributors do.

@ Kinokima You kind of implied it.
Like I said, if I own the Blu-ray, I see nothing wrong with downloading the web rip with corrected subs. I own the product, I just would like a corrected version on my hard drive.

Scavenger

Post by Scavenger » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:33 pm

I wonder if Manga UK is doing their own disc authoring. They've done that for the MHA movie.

I'm picking up the Dutch DBS:B BD with JP/EN audio next month, but even if it doesn't end up having the green tint, I'm sure they'll find another way to mess it up. The Dutch Your Name BD had a lowish bitrate, wrong gamma and some visible artifacting (nothing really bad though).

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:47 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:05 pm
TheGreatness25 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:28 pmSure. I get that. But these instances are so few and far between that in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't impact it that badly.

It absolutely makes an impact! Fans watching that series for the first time will think the subtitle names are correct. We don't need EVERYONE to go around with complete disregard for "Freeza" and "Coola". "Frieza" and "Cooler" is just about the dumbest thing ever.
Frieza I’ll give you but there’s nothing wrong with Cooler