Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:22 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:08 am
SqueakyBoots wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:02 am If Toei is working on their own remaster, then this set will have no reason to exist and there will end up being even more nonstop complaining from everyone. So a small part of me is hoping that doesn't happen or at least not for a few years.
TOEI's HD remaster of the Z series may look similar to how they remastered TV SP1 and TV SP2 in high def which means there's some DNR though they used a respectable amount as so not to destroy detail like FUNimation does. Both of them look super but so far.. no Blu-ray release. :( I'm guessing is that we'll see them bundled with a HD remaster of the Dragon Ball Z series on Blu-ray.
I think the other favor to TOEI's HDR is the liner level of grain, so you dont get that weird wobly effect on things like clouds

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:56 am

Lance Freeman wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:05 am
sangofe wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:58 am
Lance Freeman wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:50 am I'm at a crossroads here; do I plunk down the money for this release now, do I wait and hope for a potential consumer grade release of this version down the line, or do I bite the bullet and go hunting for Dragon Boxes on eBay and Amazon?
If you must have DBZ now, buy the Dragon Boxes. If not, hope for Toei doing their own remaster.
Yeah, I'm not expecting the Toei version to be much better, if the recent movie set is any indication. The Boxes are probably the best way to go at this point, so time to set up an alert every time one shows up on eBay.
I'd rather take the TV specials as an indication of the quality.

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:23 pm

SqueakyBoots wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:02 am If Toei is working on their own remaster, then this set will have no reason to exist and there will end up being even more nonstop complaining from everyone. So a small part of me is hoping that doesn't happen or at least not for a few years.
Yeah, I just can't imagine that Funimation would have decided to take yet another stab at remastering using their material if Toei had one of their own in the works. Though, it wouldn't be the stupidest thing to happen to this franchise, so we'll see.
"Perfect" is the enemy of the good. True for Cell and true for real life.
Don't forget to slow down and enjoy yourself.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:34 pm

MetaMoss wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:23 pm
Yeah, I just can't imagine that Funimation would have decided to take yet another stab at remastering using their material if Toei had one of their own in the works. Though, it wouldn't be the stupidest thing to happen to this franchise, so we'll see.
Toei has never released a remaster done by Funimation, though.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:40 pm

MetaMoss wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:23 pmI just can't imagine that Funimation would have decided to take yet another stab at remastering using their material if Toei had one of their own in the works.
Maybe Toei was asking for too much $ for them to import it so they decided to take what they had and just release it again in 4:3.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:49 pm

At the end of the day releasing the 'full footage' doesn't help with getting the 'true' Dragon Ball experience, same way we don't need Coke to enjoy Coca-Cola, whatever they're cutting at the end of the day is NOT essential and it will not impact your DB Experience.

But personally, I do crave a more unique and complete release, so I would be presently surprised if they released something along the lines of what we're asking for on this thread.
El Conejo Malo

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:59 pm

sangofe wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:34 pm Toei has never released a remaster done by Funimation, though.
And I don't think they ever will. That wasn't what I was getting at. Unless there's some piece of news I missed out on, I'm inclined to think we won't be seeing any sort of Toei-led remaster of the series for a least a while, because otherwise wouldn't Funimation just have waited for that to be available instead of putting the money up to do it again on their own?
sintzu wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:40 pm Maybe Toei was asking for too much $ for them to import it so they decided to take what they had and just release it again in 4:3.
I mean, possibly? I really doubt it. I'd figure Toei would want the most return on their investment on any remaster they would do, and the United States is a damn huge market. It would be in their best interest to cut a deal with Funimation to get it sold in the United States. Even if their asking price was too much for just a limited release like this one, long-term Funimation could just release new Season Sets based on it, which is what I'm guessing will happen with the Black Brick remaster.
"Perfect" is the enemy of the good. True for Cell and true for real life.
Don't forget to slow down and enjoy yourself.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:01 pm

sintzu wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:40 pmMaybe Toei was asking for too much $ for them to import it so they decided to take what they had and just release it again in 4:3.
What they had and make "improvements" because the unaltered footage looked "terrible". :lol:

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:58 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:01 pm
sintzu wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:40 pmMaybe Toei was asking for too much $ for them to import it so they decided to take what they had and just release it again in 4:3.
What they had and make "improvements" because the unaltered footage looked "terrible". :lol:
Sad part is that the "improvements" look sorta good. They just went too far.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:01 pm

gokaiblue wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:58 pm
JohnnyCashKami wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:01 pm
Sad part is that the "improvements" look sorta good. They just went too far.
They look good? Well, you have a right to your own opinion after all.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:14 pm

MetaMoss wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:59 pmI'd figure Toei would want the most return on their investment on any remaster they would do, and the United States is a damn huge market. It would be in their best interest to cut a deal with Funimation to get it sold in the United States.
This is the same Toei that made Funimation wait until Super's 63rd episode before they were able to have an official sub version online. They also made them wait for Toonami to air Kai's Buu arc before releasing it on home video, despite work already finished on it and demand being high. What makes sense to you and me for some reason doesn't to Toei.

The discs on this set are divided into seasons so there's a very likely chance they will get released in season sets in the future.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:24 pm

https://twitter.com/AnimeAjay/status/11 ... 9629571073

Social media is useful every once in a while! Funi is forced to pay attention to stuff like this.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:27 pm

Kuwabara wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:24 pm https://twitter.com/AnimeAjay/status/11 ... 9629571073

Social media is useful every once in a while! Funi is forced to pay attention to stuff like this.
Ouch hahaha. They should do a signed petition there

Also, I found the shots that I was looking everywhere for!
Anyone have the season set shots to go with this?
Also just behind the scenes stuff

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:08 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:27 pm *Comment*
Damn, Son Goku's spiky hair is so effective it blended with the background.

I can't wait for FUNimation's Ultra 8K 4:3 AR Blu-ray. :)

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:24 pm

Word of advice to anyone who doesn't understand all of this discussion, do not worry. This additional footage will not dramatically change your viewing experience in any way, shape or form.

We will feel an incredible satisfaction if we get a proper 4:3 set, but something gives me the feeling that it would ware off fast because its really not that important. Kind of like a dog chasing its tail, it wouldn't know what to do with it if it caught it, and if he did, he would realize how pointless it really was.

Plus, even if this WAS a proper release, people would still complain that it is not a readily available set that's affordable. Same with the DragonBoxes. The proper version EXISTS, and its BEEN released in the past. The problem with the Dboxes is how difficult they are to get, and it's going to be the exact same with this set. It's a COLLECTORS item, get that through your head. In no way shape or form should the most popular animated show be shown in its original state, nobody likes 4:3, and nobody typically likes grainy images either. No one on here will see this though and will just push their agenda forward. It's best for you to accept the facts like I have and stop being antagonistic. I use to defend the 4:3 'Proper' release until I realized that I looked like a fool.

Some people don't want things to change, and that's fine, but Dragon Ball adapted to the future with 16:9 and an updated vibrant pallet and it's worked wonders for them. It helped them get the show past that old fashioned look that we all love here.
El Conejo Malo

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:30 pm

Bardo117 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:24 pmPlus, even if this WAS a proper release, people would still complain that it is not a readily available set that's affordable.
Now you're just making stuff up. You have no idea how much time, money, patience and love Dragon Ball fans have for the franchise.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:02 pm

I will never accept 16:9 DBZ, ever. It's the stupidest bullshit I've ever seen with this franchise. The fact that the only way you can own the TV Specials with the eyecatches intact is in 16:9 pisses me off. Fuck 16:9 DBZ.

bigray
Beyond Newbie

Post by bigray » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:04 pm

Bardo117 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:24 pm
Some people don't want things to change, and that's fine, but Dragon Ball adapted to the future with 16:9 and an updated vibrant pallet and it's worked wonders for them. It helped them get the show past that old fashioned look that we all love here.
I'm not a diehard dbz fan in the sense where I stare at the footage and notice little bits and pieces. But it absolutely kills me when I see things change from the original, mostly when it comes to movie remakes like the lion king (the bloody movie was perfect and ageless but they still decide to remake it). I've never watched any of the new ninja turtle series because it feels like a completely different show. (They better not do this to Ghibli movies!)

This is how i feel about Kai, I can't really watch it, I love the idea of removing fillers but it doesn't feel like dbz, they've revamped it for modern kids, which is, ok they can have Kai. But they should not be doing it for a release that's claimed to be an "original viewing experience", especially a set that's paying tribute to the 30th anniversary.

Too bad if people don't like grain because that's how the show was made, same with 4:3. stop trying to change it to something it isn't.

AND on top of all this, everyone who funi are trying to please with their new remasters dont actually give a F**K what their video looks like. They will watch whatever is put in front of them. So why bother with them? and tell the people who care about how it looks to shut up and move on?

Question about cropping, even though I think we've past that part - isn't it possible to add a zoom feature or something to make the 4:3 change to 16:9 to get both aspect ratios without having to put double the footage on each disc?

bigray
Beyond Newbie

Post by bigray » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:07 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:30 pm
Bardo117 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:24 pmPlus, even if this WAS a proper release, people would still complain that it is not a readily available set that's affordable.
Now you're just making stuff up. You have no idea how much time, money, patience and love Dragon Ball fans have for the franchise.
Hmm I don't know, I think he's right on this one. This release is gonna be dragon boxes 2.0 (or Dragon box Blu ray edition)... for years to come there will forever be poor kids trying to pick up this set for cheap and not fork out the $600 that they are selling for on eBay hehe.

I hate to say it but it's none of my concern, I'm here now and I have the money

lansing
Beyond Newbie

Post by lansing » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:11 pm

Bardo117 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:24 pm Word of advice to anyone who doesn't understand all of this discussion, do not worry. This additional footage will not dramatically change your viewing experience in any way, shape or form.

We will feel an incredible satisfaction if we get a proper 4:3 set, but something gives me the feeling that it would ware off fast because its really not that important. Kind of like a dog chasing its tail, it wouldn't know what to do with it if it caught it, and if he did, he would realize how pointless it really was.

Plus, even if this WAS a proper release, people would still complain that it is not a readily available set that's affordable. Same with the DragonBoxes. The proper version EXISTS, and its BEEN released in the past. The problem with the Dboxes is how difficult they are to get, and it's going to be the exact same with this set. It's a COLLECTORS item, get that through your head. In no way shape or form should the most popular animated show be shown in its original state, nobody likes 4:3, and nobody typically likes grainy images either. No one on here will see this though and will just push their agenda forward. It's best for you to accept the facts like I have and stop being antagonistic. I use to defend the 4:3 'Proper' release until I realized that I looked like a fool.

What a tool