UPDATE: Fixed subtitle files added to OP. The Broli movie will use dub names in its subtitles, at Toei's request.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Re: The Broli movie will use dub names in its subtitles, at Toei's request. Could this become the new "standard"?

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:53 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:47 pm
linkdude20002001 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:05 pm
TheGreatness25 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:28 pmSure. I get that. But these instances are so few and far between that in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't impact it that badly.

For example, you're a fan. You know the proper names. You're watching the Japanese version, which doesn't rely on the subtitles at all. You still know them as their Japanese names. Those subtitles shouldn't be there in the first place, so why do they matter? They're there to help you understand the story in its native language. Nothing more.
It absolutely makes an impact! Fans watching that series for the first time will think the subtitle names are correct. We don't need EVERYONE to go around with complete disregard for "Freeza" and "Coola". "Frieza" and "Cooler" is just about the dumbest thing ever.
Frieza I’ll give you but there’s nothing wrong with Cooler
Not to mention they each only have one single letter changed, that's not nearly as radically altered as some of the other characters' names.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Re: The Broli movie will use dub names in its subtitles, at Toei's request. Could this become the new "standard"?

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:07 pm

Dude, that was just an exampel. Yeah, there are worse ones. “Master Roshi” and “King Kai” are more extreme ones. They’re all bad tho.
Dbzfan94 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:47 pm Frieza I’ll give you but there’s nothing wrong with Cooler
His name is クウラ. A pun on クーラー... So yes, “Cooler” is wrong. That’d be like saying “There’s nothing wrong with ‘Vegetable’.” for Vegeta. Hopefully you know Japanese. If you don’t, then please don’t bother trying to argue what’s correct and incorrect.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:15 pm

I hope that someone can confirm "Tien", "Chiaotzu", "King Kai", "King Ox" or whatever won't be used on the subs. Also, will attack names now be the dubisms too? :|

Watching Dragon Ball Z or Kai and then you read "Special Beam Cannon!" when Piccolo attacks Goku and Raditz with his Makankosappo would be pretty weird.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:18 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:15 pm I hope that someone can confirm "Tien", "Chiaotzu", "King Kai", "King Ox" or whatever won't be used on the subs. Also, will attack names now be the dubisms too? :|

Watching Dragon Ball Z or Kai and then you read "Special Beam Cannon!" when Piccolo attacks Goku and Raditz with his Makankosappo would be pretty weird.
Well, Toei was behind the subtitles used on Super's Crunchyroll streams, and with those it contained nearly all the dub names. "Special Beam Cannon" was always used whenever Piccolo said "Makankosappo". Master Roshi, Supreme Kai, etc. were all used. It was very strange to see.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:33 pm

This all could be a fail safe for the reverse importation considering they are getting this months before Japan. Do we know if subs are locked too?

It wouldn't be the first time a licensed release has had lower quality on purpose. The dub spellings could also be another reason that Toei think will deter importers.

Surprised they didn't make the actual subs in an ugly neon green colour!

ToeiUSA have really gone down the gutter lately hell even ToeiEurope are starting to be more competent than them, though our release will probably have the sub issue too like the theatrical.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:47 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:33 pmThough our release will probably have the sub issue too like the theatrical.
I'm also concerned by this, and I think it'll depend heavily on how much Manga UK really care about listening to Toei.

When I first saw the Amazon leak and saw the subtitles were using dub terms and contained that one mistranslation, I reached out to my contact at Manga UK to see if he could talk to someone about getting that fixed for the Blu-ray.

He's super nice and took my list of issues to the team in charge to see if they'd be able to change that stuff up before release. He reached out a few weeks back and said the sub issue is currently being looked into, but I haven't had a chance to see what the outcome was.

At the very least, if nothing changes, every effort was taken to trying to get it fixed :/
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:46 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:07 pmHis name is クウラ. A pun on クーラー... So yes, “Cooler” is wrong.
So...his name is a pun on the wasei-eigo word...for "cooler".

?
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:35 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:46 pm
linkdude20002001 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:07 pmHis name is クウラ. A pun on クーラー... So yes, “Cooler” is wrong.
So...his name is a pun on the wasei-eigo word...for "cooler".

?

From Herms's Name Pun Round-up thread:
Coola

Since his younger brother is named after the freezer, it’s fitting that he be named after a cooler. There’s a little bit more to it than that though…
Daizenshuu Explanation: “You’d normally think that since his younger brother is Freeza (Freeza=freezer) that his name would be Coola (cooler), but it’s not that simple. The truth is that it involves the Shizuoka dialect. The producer Mr. Morishita, who is from Shizuoka, was worried that ‘Cooler’ would be too direct, and remembered that in the dialect of his hometown one said ‘meshi demo kuura’ [sort of equivalent to ‘Let’s chow down’] when eating. Because of this, they used the Shizuoka dialect…and so they decided on the name Coola!! To think that it was so complicated a process…” [D6]
Source Spelling:: クーラー/kuuraa and メシでも食うら/meshi demo kuura
Name Spelling: クウラ/Kuura

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:38 pm

Just remembered, Majin Boo will be "Majin Buu" on the subs. It's not as bad as Freeza to "Frieza" but it still doesn't look right. :(

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:18 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:15 pm I hope that someone can confirm "Tien", "Chiaotzu", "King Kai", "King Ox" or whatever won't be used on the subs.
To be fair, "Chiaotzu" (or rather Chiao Tzu/Chiao-Tzu) is probably a more accurate form than simply "Chaozu".

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:28 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:24 pm What the fuck is with Toei and making everything green? It's getting tiresome.
They heard we like the Big Green dub over Funis and are trying to market to us. :lol:

---

Personally I don't mind a little bit of dressing to make the puns a little less on-the-nose without removing them being obvious (Frieza, Coola, etc), but as mentioned that's personal preference. I prefer "Gurd" to straight-up calling him Yoghurt, for example.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:04 am

Freeza is now Frieza and Bra is now Bulla...

I don’t know what to say anymore. Every week it seems like some new BS pops up and ruins everything. Whether it’s Funi’s embarrassing new Blu-rays or Toei forcing them to use dub names on the subtitle track, the shit doesn’t end. I have a bad feeling that the Blu-ray release of Super 2 will also use dub names.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:13 am

MajinMan wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:04 am Freeza is now Frieza and Bra is now Bulla...

I don’t know what to say anymore. Every week it seems like some new BS pops up and ruins everything. Whether it’s Funi’s embarrassing new Blu-rays or Toei forcing them to use dub names on the subtitle track, the shit doesn’t end. I have a bad feeling that the Blu-ray release of Super 2 will also use dub names.
I have that feeling too. If that's the case, I'm certainly not going to be purchasing any Dragon Ball home media anymore. What a shame.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:25 am

The dub very rarely uses Son Goku (much less Son Gohan and Son Goten) so does it mean it'll be always Goku, Gohan and Goten? This is an enormous downgrade.

I hope it doesn't affect the Spanish, French and German releases but if they rely on the FUNimation scripts then they will.

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:30 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:25 am The dub very rarely uses Son Goku (much less Son Gohan and Son Goten) so does it mean it'll be always Goku, Gohan and Goten? This is an enormous downgrade.
Don't think it'll go that far. The Crunchyroll subtitles used "Son Goku" after all
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:30 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:25 am The dub very rarely uses Son Goku (much less Son Gohan and Son Goten) so does it mean it'll be always Goku, Gohan and Goten? This is an enormous downgrade.

I hope it doesn't affect the Spanish, French and German releases but if they rely on the FUNimation scripts then they will.
I'll have to check, but I'm pretty sure Toei's Crunchyroll subtitles still used "Son". They don't outright remove everything, (they still use "-sama", and yes, seeing "Frieza-sama" is the most awkward thing on the planet) they just change names to match the dub names. So, since "-sama" doesn't technically conflict with the dub spelling of "Frieza", they keep it. Or at least, that seems to be their reasoning.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:32 am

I wouldn’t think so. Toei’s Subs for Super use Son in al the right places for Goku, Gohan and Goten, so it should be expected to be right. But knowing modern-day Toei, I wouldn’t bet on it.

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:34 am

From what I can tell, Son Goku is still in the subs. But things like Tenshinhan, Kuririn, and Muten Roshi are all likely to change if this continues.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

DBZfan29
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZfan29 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:51 am

I can't wait til they start using Hercule in the subs. :lol:

In all seriousness, this isn't really an issue for me, and I don't know why it bothers so many people. We know what their names are; it's everything else we're relying on the subs to translate for us. I will still enjoy it nonetheless.

(On a side note, I still use dub names regularly because I have friends of the series who watch it dubbed. I'd rather not sound pretentious, which is almost always the case when I have used the Japanese names outside of Kanzenshuu.)
An interviewer asks, "The soundtrack in Sonic 3 has become legendary. Is it true that you worked with Michael Jackson on it?" Takashi Iizuka kills all of our hopes and dreams by replying, "You know, those are just rumors, and SEGA does not want to say anything about them. So they will forever be just rumors..." WHY!?

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:53 am

DBZfan29 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:51 amIn all seriousness, this isn't really an issue for me, and I don't know why it bothers so many people. We know what their names are; it's everything else we're relying on the subs to translate for us. I will still enjoy it nonetheless.
So if the subtitles started calling Goku, uh, let's say "Bob" you wouldn't mind? I mean, you know what his name is. Right?