Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jochs

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by jochs » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:23 pm

https://youtu.be/xOWs-bqTSP4?t=1685

Brian confirming the use of swear words in the Ocean Dub of Kai. Could this be problematic for Wow?

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:39 pm

jochs wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:23 pm https://youtu.be/xOWs-bqTSP4?t=1685

Brian confirming the use of swear words in the Ocean Dub of Kai. Could this be problematic for Wow?
Only slightly.

It appears that Toei's representative is (unfortunately) strongly pushing the FUNimation dub, and the fact that FUNimation already has a safe-for-kids audio track available is probably one more thing that would make it more attractive for Wow. It isn't the end of the world, as it's perfectly within Ocean's power to call the actors back in and do alternative takes where the swear words have been replaced with more kid-friendly alternatives...but that means paying the actors more money. And again, paying more money VS paying for a kid-friendly audio track that has already been recorded...from a TV exec's perspective, I'd have to imagine that's another point in favor of the FUNi dub. But only one point.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:37 pm

That's interesting. Didn't the Nicktoons broadcast use "HFIL"?

Light cursing shouldn't be that big of an issue. The channel isn't supposed to be exclusively aimed at kids.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

C. Smith

Post by C. Smith » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:04 am

Super Saiyan Prime wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:37 pmThat's interesting. Didn't the Nicktoons broadcast use "HFIL"?

Light cursing shouldn't be that big of an issue. The channel isn't supposed to be exclusively aimed at kids.
Canadian kids should be fine with hell being used. This isn't America.

DragonBallFan
Temporarily Banned

Post by DragonBallFan » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:16 am

I just wish they'd release it, what's taking so long anyway?

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:28 am

So there's light profanity, but AFAIK it's using Nicktoons footage.

The situation there reminds me of Bang Zoom Super, which had profanity like Hell and Damn but had some cuts as well "gambling debts".
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

MarioSonicU

Post by MarioSonicU » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:28 am

Super Saiyan Prime wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:37 pm That's interesting. Didn't the Nicktoons broadcast use "HFIL"?
I think Nicktoons used "Other World".

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:30 am

Other World refers to the afterlife in general. HFIL is, well, Hell.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

MarioSonicU

Post by MarioSonicU » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:35 am

Danfun64 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:30 am Other World refers to the afterlife in general. HFIL is, well, Hell.
Yeah but FUNi just uses Other World for Nicktoons and The CW broadcasts. Possibly because it's way less cheesy, what with all the "distancing from old practices" and whatnot

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:04 am

How are Heaven and Hell differentiated then? Again, Other World refers to the whole afterlife.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

jochs

Post by jochs » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:51 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:39 pm

Only slightly.

It appears that Toei's representative is (unfortunately) strongly pushing the FUNimation dub, and the fact that FUNimation already has a safe-for-kids audio track available is probably one more thing that would make it more attractive for Wow. It isn't the end of the world, as it's perfectly within Ocean's power to call the actors back in and do alternative takes where the swear words have been replaced with more kid-friendly alternatives...but that means paying the actors more money. And again, paying more money VS paying for a kid-friendly audio track that has already been recorded...from a TV exec's perspective, I'd have to imagine that's another point in favor of the FUNi dub. But only one point.
Yeah, what you said basically sums up what my concern is. I'd like to think that Marni realizes that the Ocean Dub is Canadian content and would be a huge score for a brand new channel. I guess those who are hopeful of an uncut home release could have something to look forward to assuming the Ocean Dub is aired and is a success.

As for what Brian said specifically.. I think he could have meant that there really wouldn't be any "next dimension" nonsense, and there's some minor references to hell and death rather than the constant "bastard" and "damn you" we hear from FUNi's home release of Kai.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:46 am

I'm really hoping this will be part of Wow's launch programme series because the other options seem as though they've been locked down to FUNimation's Kai dub.

I just thought about Madman but they've got a deal with FUNimation and same goes for Manga UK so it's kind of all or nothing with Wow.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:26 am

Very surprised by Brian's answer there regarding censorship, he seems more confident about it this time too, not like he was in his interview with Geekdom a while back - there he seemed more hesitant to speak about the subject.

I'm still a little doubtful we'll actually hear them saying Hell in the broadcasts (even though it would be nice). History of the Blue Water DB productions seems to be a better indicator of what we might expect script wise, and in those dubs Hell was referred to as Hades instead, which I've always been fine with compared to Funimation's HFIL or "Another Dimension".

GokuDaimao
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GokuDaimao » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:13 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:39 pmIt appears that Toei's representative is (unfortunately) strongly pushing the FUNimation dub, and the fact that FUNimation already has a safe-for-kids audio track available is probably one more thing that would make it more attractive for Wow. It isn't the end of the world, as it's perfectly within Ocean's power to call the actors back in and do alternative takes where the swear words have been replaced with more kid-friendly alternatives...but that means paying the actors more money. And again, paying more money VS paying for a kid-friendly audio track that has already been recorded...from a TV exec's perspective, I'd have to imagine that's another point in favor of the FUNi dub. But only one point.
But you haven't factored in the need for Canadian content. As a Canadian broadcaster, but especially with what Marni knows about this dub and our desire for it, it's highly unlikely they'll sell us out and air the FUNi dub, under both of those circumstances.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:46 am

GokuDaimao wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:13 am
TheBlackPaladin wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:39 pmIt appears that Toei's representative is (unfortunately) strongly pushing the FUNimation dub, and the fact that FUNimation already has a safe-for-kids audio track available is probably one more thing that would make it more attractive for Wow. It isn't the end of the world, as it's perfectly within Ocean's power to call the actors back in and do alternative takes where the swear words have been replaced with more kid-friendly alternatives...but that means paying the actors more money. And again, paying more money VS paying for a kid-friendly audio track that has already been recorded...from a TV exec's perspective, I'd have to imagine that's another point in favor of the FUNi dub. But only one point.
But you haven't factored in the need for Canadian content. As a Canadian broadcaster, but especially with what Marni knows about this dub and our desire for it, it's highly unlikely they'll sell us out and air the FUNi dub, under both of those circumstances.
Indeed.

Plus, Ocean dub is what we've asked for, and Marni Shulman has repeatedly assured us that yes, the Ocean dub will be what she's going for.
Chill, guys; we're in good hands.

I imagine what this means is the Ocean Kai scripts will be like the Pioneer scripts; accurate, unafraid of saying "Hell", but not throwing swears in like Funi's modern dubs do. Though I imagine we'll get some BW GT-esque stuff when it comes to some of the ruder jokes, for the ones that weren't straight-up cut out of the NickToons edit. And as we saw in the NickToons airings, some of the violence will be toned down; blood will be painted out or coloured to look like sweat and/or dirt.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Azelf89
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Azelf89 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:53 pm

Danfun64 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:04 am How are Heaven and Hell differentiated then? Again, Other World refers to the whole afterlife.
I just checked, and Hell is never actually mentioned by any name in the Edited version of Funi's dub. It's always alluded to, such as here: Image Image

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:38 pm

I've noticed how Drummond said that he didn't change the way he voiced Vegeta when he became more of a good guy/anti-hero in that video of his panel...
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:50 pm

Is anyone aware of any Kai questions Scott McNeil may have been asked/ answered? Or was he on a panel or anything?
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

jochs

Post by jochs » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:12 am

SX10 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:50 pm Is anyone aware of any Kai questions Scott McNeil may have been asked/ answered? Or was he on a panel or anything?
There was an Ocean Dub Panel with Kelamis, McNeil, Drummond, and Corlett. Only a few clips of it have been uploaded. I've asked around to find out if the dub was discussed and I'm waiting for some replies. I'm sure someone will upload the whole thing at some point.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:31 am

jochs wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:12 am
SX10 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:50 pm Is anyone aware of any Kai questions Scott McNeil may have been asked/ answered? Or was he on a panel or anything?
There was an Ocean Dub Panel with Kelamis, McNeil, Drummond, and Corlett. Only a few clips of it have been uploaded. I've asked around to find out if the dub was discussed and I'm waiting for some replies. I'm sure someone will upload the whole thing at some point.
Yeah, hopefully soon! I saw your comments on one of the panel videos in response to the uploader and I've since responded as well.

Generally, the cast think it may never be released and Scott McNeil in particular thinks some of the translated lines would need fixing as he found some of the lines "lame".

Honeslty, that seems to match with his confusion over how to pronounce "Namek" in English. I think maybe he's just used to the "Saturday morning cartoon" vibe of the show cause he seems to be the only VA I've heard of with anything negative to say about Ocean Kai :/

It doesn't really bother me that much.
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep