English Movie Titles - TOEI Vs. FUNimation

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

English Movie Titles - TOEI Vs. FUNimation

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:34 pm

Some of these movies (or/and specials) you might have already read before because they were used for the infamous "Big Green" dub (produced by the French company formerly known as AB Groupe who are now Mediawan Thematics).

Dragon Ball: Movie 1 - The Legend of Shenron [FUNimation: Curse of the Blood Rubies]
Dragon Ball: Movie 2 - Sleeping Beauty in Devil Castle [FUNimation: Sleeping Princess in Devil's Castle]
Dragon Ball: Movie 3 - Mystical Adventure [FUNimation: Mystical Adventure]
Dragon Ball: Movie 4 - The Way of the Strongest [FUNimation: The Path to Power]

Dragon Ball Z: Movie 01 - In Pursuit of Garlic [FUNimation: The Dead Zone]
Dragon Ball Z: Movie 02 - The Strongest Guy in the World [FUNimation: The World's Strongest]
Dragon Ball Z: Movie 03 - Super Battle in the World [FUNimation: The Tree of Might]
Dragon Ball Z: Movie 04 - Super Saiyan, Son Goku [FUNimation: Lord Slug]
Dragon Ball Z: Movie 05 - The Strongest Rivals [FUNimation: Cooler's Revenge]
Dragon Ball Z: Movie 06 - Fight! 10 Billion Power Warriors [FUNimation: The Return of Cooler]
Dragon Ball Z: Movie 07 - Super Battle of the Three Super Saiyans [FUNimation: Super Android 13]
Dragon Ball Z: Movie 08 - The Burning Battles [FUNimation: Broly: The Legendary Super Saiyan]
Dragon Ball Z: Movie 09 - Super Guy in the Galaxy [FUNimation: Bojack Unbound]
Dragon Ball Z: Movie 10 - Dangerous Rivals [FUNimation: Broly Second Coming]
Dragon Ball Z: Movie 11 - Attack! Super Warriors [FUNimation: Bio-Broly]
Dragon Ball Z: Movie 12 - Revival Fusion [FUNimation: Fusion Reborn]
Dragon Ball Z: Movie 13 - Explosion of Dragon Punch [FUNimation: Wrath of the Dragon]

Dragon Ball Z: TV Special 1 - The Father of Goku [FUNimation: Bardock - The Father of Goku]
Dragon Ball Z: TV Special 2 - Gohan and Trunks [FUNimation: The History of Trunks]

Dragon Ball GT: TV Special - Four-Star Dragon Ball is the Proof of Courage [FUNimation: A Hero's Legacy]

Back then FUNimation simplified the Movie/Special (+ episode) titles and for the most part removed huge spoilers (the Japanese titles tell you straight up) and I like them as they are. However, the TOEI titles which deviate from Japanese to English (I presume) do a good job but they're not very memorable or sound too exciting (Explosion of Dragon Punch? Really?). Interestingly enough, on Netflix Japan which has a massive library of Dragon Ball content to watch, they use the FUNimation titles rather than the TOEI ones.

The only TOEI titles I probably like are DB Movies 1-4, DBZ TV SP1, DBZ TV SP2 and DBGT TV SP.

Anyhow, let's see what's TOEI's next steps as they're now blocking FUNimation from using characters' names translated and rather dubisms.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: English Movie Titles - TOEI Vs. FUNimation

Post by funrush » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:09 pm

The Funi titles seem to be way better for the most part. Maybe these titles sound better in Japanese, but "Super Battle in the World", and "Super Guy in the Galaxy" are just 0 effort titles. They sound like bootlegs.

10 Billion Power Warriors sounds really cool for some reason though. :lol:

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:31 pm

I like the original titles. It's just the same thing as the episode titles, being longer and more descriptive. I suppose it's a Japanese thing, but it has a certain charm that the FUNimation titles lack. Of course the Funi titles are going to feel familiar and more natural to English-speaking audiences who are accustomed to such naming conventions.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:59 pm

I prefer the Funimation ones, as the Toei ones were decided on first AND THEN the story was written based on them. So they're kinda inherently flawed in that way.

Dark Vegeta-Sama
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dark Vegeta-Sama » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:23 pm

I have no real opinion on most of the title changes, but for DBZ Movie 1, Dead Zone is a much better title than In Pursuit of Garlic.

Out of context and without knowing who Garlic Jr. is, one might be given the impression by the Japanese title that it's a movie about Chi-Chi sending Goku to the grocery store.

MarioSonicU

Post by MarioSonicU » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:35 pm

Dark Vegeta-Sama wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:23 pm I have no real opinion on most of the title changes, but for DBZ Movie 1, Dead Zone is a much better title than In Pursuit of Garlic.

Out of context and without knowing who Garlic Jr. is, one might be given the impression by the Japanese title that it's a movie about Chi-Chi sending Goku to the grocery store.
Yeah, and besides, Toei's real title for Z Movie 1 is actually "Return My Gohan!!" and the Japanese title for Z Movie 13 adds in "If Goku Can't Do It, Who Will?".

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:39 pm

Funimation by far. How can you even remember something like Burn Up!! A Red-Hot, Raging, Super-Fierce Fight ? Who on earth came up with that let alone thought it was a good idea ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:09 pm

Okay but you’re not using Toei’s titles. You’re using the Ab Groupe titles.

Dragon Ball movie 2 is Sleeping Princess in Devil’s castle (the word hime is in the title)

Dragon Ball movie 4 is Path to Ultimate Power NOT Way of the Strongest

DBZ movie 1 is called Return my Gohan NOT In Pursuit of Garlic

DBZ movie 13 is Dragon Fist Explosion! If Son Goku can’t who will?

I honestly found Dragon Ball Z movir titles to be a bore but to be fair a lot of Toei’s titles are just nonsense.

Really the only Funi titles I like are Tree of Might, and Broly: Second Coming,Fusion Reborn, and Wrath of the Dragon (the last one actually sounds like a cool Bruce Lee or Jackie Chan movie).

Return my Gohan! Is a much much better and apt title than The Dead Zone which almost has fuck all to do with the movie.

Lord Slug is a pretty uninspired title. I prefer Super Saiyajin Son Goku

I think Curse of the Blood Rubies sound a teeny bit cooler than Legend of Shenron.

World Strongest vs World Strongest Guy/Man is like apples to apples ry

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:22 pm

Those English titles are available at TOEI's very own website.

http://corp.toei-anim.co.jp/en/film/pickup.php?id=1

AB Groupe made the English dubs but TOEI made the English movie/special titles as they are all identical.

The so-called official titles you say of TOEI, they were translated by FUNimation. At least know your stuff, dude.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:35 pm

Dub titles all the way. Most of the Toei titles are so incredibly generic they can be interchanged with each other and nobody would know.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:26 pm

MarioSonicU wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:35 pm Yeah, and besides, Toei's real title for Z Movie 1 is actually "Return My Gohan!!".
The official title of Movie 1 is simply "Dragon Ball Z". The "Return My Gohan" subtitle only appeared in the Daizenshuu I believe.

sintzu wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:39 pm How can you even remember something like Burn Up!! A Red-Hot, Raging, Super-Fierce Fight ? Who on earth came up with that let alone thought it was a good idea ?
That's actually one of my favorite titles, alongside "A Super Decisive Battle for Earth" and "The Galaxy at the Brink!! The Super Incredible Guy". It gets you pumped for the movie.

I don't think that anyone who knows the titles and watches the movies would have too much trouble remembering them, at least partially. But really just like with the episode titles, it's more about the contents of the movie than it is about the titles.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:51 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:22 pm Those English titles are available at TOEI's very own website.
I think it's been established by this point that Toei can be trusted with fuck-all regarding the old content of this franchise.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:28 pm

KBABZ wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:51 pm
JohnnyCashKami wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:22 pm Those English titles are available at TOEI's very own website.
I think it's been established by this point that Toei can be trusted with fuck-all regarding the old content of this franchise.
I wouldn't be surprised if TOEI demanded these titles to be used from now on rather than FUNimation's own ones. You know, I'm kind of starting to hate TOEI for the green tint, censorship and now the stupid ass dubisms on subs. :|

It defeats the purpose of buying a product if the fans have to fix it up so much.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:56 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:26 pmJust like with the episode titles, it's more about the contents of the movie than it is about the titles.
That's fine with episodes but movies ? I just think something more simple fits with movies better.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:51 am

sintzu wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:56 pm
MyVisionity wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:26 pmJust like with the episode titles, it's more about the contents of the movie than it is about the titles.
That's fine with episodes but movies ? I just think something more simple fits with movies better.
I agree, lord knows nobody calls them by their title and instead falls back on their number, just like the episodes. At least with the English titles they describe an important figure or plot point in the movie, rather than how a guy in it is super-amazing.

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:26 am

http://corp.toei-anim.co.jp/en/film/pickup.php?id=1

AB Groupe made the English dubs but TOEI made the English movie/special titles as they are all identical.

The so-called official titles you say of TOEI, they were translated by FUNimation. At least know your stuff, dude.
Nope. You're wrong, MasenkoHA is right. I don't need to look at any links to know those aren't the Japanese titles of the movies in your first post. You don't even know for a fact that Toei themselves came up with them, do you? You're just guessing. Looking at literally any other source besides that site would probably have given you the correct titles. There's this great site called Kanzenshuu, for example...

At least know your stuff, dude.

(Also, did you seriously throw shade at Steve Simmons of all people? Like the Big Green dub's title translations would be more reliable than his? :lol:)
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Yalos
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Yalos » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:00 am

Definitely Funimation, the movie names actually sound like movie names.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:00 pm

The Tori-bot wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:26 amNope. You're wrong, MasenkoHA is right. I don't need to look at any links to know those aren't the Japanese titles of the movies in your first post. You don't even know for a fact that Toei themselves came up with them, do you? You're just guessing. Looking at literally any other source besides that site would probably have given you the correct titles. There's this great site called Kanzenshuu, for example...

At least know your stuff, dude.

(Also, did you seriously throw shade at Steve Simmons of all people? Like the Big Green dub's title translations would be more reliable than his? :lol:)
You're telling me that Kanzenshuu which is a fan-made website is more accurate than TOEI's actual website? Haha. No.

One thing is FUNimation translating the Japanese titles to English and TOEI making their own English titles.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:09 pm

FUNimation titles are WAY better obviously.
They actually tell you what movie is about unlike many of original titles.

Original titles sound more like episode titles rather than movies.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:42 pm

Not gonna lie, "Super Guy in the Galaxy" is the funniest thing I've read this week.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.