UPDATE: Fixed subtitle files added to OP. The Broli movie will use dub names in its subtitles, at Toei's request.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DrBriefsCat
Beyond Newbie

Re: The Broli movie will use dub names in its subtitles, at Toei's request. Could this become the new "standard"?

Post by DrBriefsCat » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:04 pm

I can understand why Toei did this as they only have to approve one set of names in the scripts for English territories, but it's still really dumb. The subtitle translation is its own thing and having dub names pop up when the Japanese name gets heard on the audio is going to become distracting. Facepalm. I'd prefer if they just left it alone.

Char Aznable
Regular

Re: The Broli movie will use dub names in its subtitles, at Toei's request. Could this become the new "standard"?

Post by Char Aznable » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:09 pm

Apparently the Manga UK release won't have green tint. Maybe I should buy a region free (or at least A and B) Blu-ray player and import their releases from now on, or just pirate the damn movie if they're going to keep screwing it up. Supporting the official release is becoming more and more difficult when they're going to keep fucking it up here in the U.S.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:03 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:09 pm Apparently the Manga UK release won't have green tint. Maybe I should buy a region free (or at least A and B) Blu-ray player and import their releases from now on, or just pirate the damn movie if they're going to keep screwing it up. Supporting the official release is becoming more and more difficult when they're going to keep fucking it up here in the U.S.
Makes me wonder how Madman's release here in NZ will fare...

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:59 pm

I just wonder if the MangaUK release will be without the subtitles issue too.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:04 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:59 pm I just wonder if the MangaUK release will be without the subtitles issue too.
The Amazon version before being removed used "Frieza" but let's hope for the best.

No green tint and correct subs would make it a definite purchase for me. Can't say I care about the Steelbook so I'd just buy the standard Blu-ray which comes with a slipcover, I assume.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:09 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:59 pm I just wonder if the MangaUK release will be without the subtitles issue too.
It will most likely have it too unfortunately.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:05 pm

Forte224 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:09 pm
Bad news. The Manga UK Version also uses Dub Names in the Subtitles.

https://www.twitter.com/MangaUK/status/ ... 4552692738

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:20 pm

simtek34 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:05 pm
Forte224 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:09 pm
Bad news. The Manga UK Version also uses Dub Names in the Subtitles.

Yeah, it's unfortunate. I'm not sure who I like less anymore. FUNimation or Toei.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:04 pm

This is pure nostalgia wanking aimed at some of the Western audience who are still entrenched in the appeal of the spiced up dialogue and unnecessary name changes at the cost of better translation and a more accurate script.

Fuck this backwards nonsense.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:46 pm

I went to Amazon UK and successfully placed an order for the steelbook, even though it's Region B. I'll figure it out, I'll get a different Blu-ray player that's region free, I don't know. All I know is that I've tolerated a lot, but I don't want a fucking green movie for no reason. Fuck that.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:47 pm

simtek34 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:05 pm Bad news. The Manga UK Version also uses Dub Names in the Subtitles.

On the plus side, the Manga UK guy I know informed me that they fixed the mistranslated Paragus line I reported!
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:50 pm

Ajay wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:47 pm
simtek34 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:05 pm Bad news. The Manga UK Version also uses Dub Names in the Subtitles.

On the plus side, the Manga UK guy I know informed me that they fixed the mistranslated Paragus line I reported!
I don't know what I'm going to do yet with my FUNi copy, but it looks like ordering the Manga UK version off Amazon UK was the right call. I didn't even know I was able to do that here in the U.S.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:16 pm

Well, that's some good news I suppose. I'm still just more concerned about the future of Dragon Ball home media than I am this one movie though.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:19 pm

Forte224 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:16 pm

Well, that's some good news I suppose. I'm still just more concerned about the future of Dragon Ball home media than I am this one movie though.
If this is going to be the new standard here, I'll be more than happy to continue importing from the UK now that I know I can do it. I'll finish out my FUNi releases of Super because those so far are good (just don't fuck with them), and I'll figure it out from there I guess.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:20 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:19 pm

If this is going to be the new standard here, I'll be more than happy to continue importing from the UK now that I know I can do it. I'll finish out my FUNi releases of Super because those so far are good (just don't fuck with them), and I'll figure it out from there I guess.
I more meant with the subtitle issue. The UK release has the dub names too.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:23 pm

Forte224 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:20 pm
True, but if my choice is dub name subs or dub name subs with extra green, I'll take the dub name subs. Can't win them all.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:26 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:23 pm
Forte224 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:20 pm
True, but if my choice is dub name subs or dub name subs with extra green, I'll take the dub name subs. Can't win them all.
Well, I mean, we CAN win them all, haha. We've been doing it since Dragon Ball Super Part 1 on Blu-ray. Now Toei decided that it's time for us to guaranteed lose at least one thing, I guess.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:22 pm

The real confusing part is who are they doing this for? What demographic are they trying to please? As far as I know, there is no “I’m a primary fan of the Japanese version, but I wish they used the English dub names in the subs” demographic. 99% of actual dub fans will not watch it subbed, or if they do, won’t give a shit about the name differences. They’re pleasing absolutely nobody and just making a group of fans feel like they don’t matter.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:35 pm

MajinMan wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:22 pm The real confusing part is who are they doing this for? What demographic are they trying to please? As far as I know, there is no “I’m a primary fan of the Japanese version, but I wish they used the English dub names in the subs” demographic. 99% of actual dub fans will not watch it subbed, or if they do, won’t give a shit about the name differences. They’re pleasing absolutely nobody and just making a group of fans feel like they don’t matter.
I'm equally perplexed. But if there's one thing all parties involved have proven it's that they don't care what their fans think. If they did the names never would have been changed in the first place. Between this and the recent insistence of locking subs on blu-rays it's no wonder sales are down and people are resorting to piracy again.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:35 pm

MajinMan wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:22 pmAs far as I know, there is no “I’m a primary fan of the Japanese version, but I wish they used the English dub names in the subs” demographic.
As much as I'm not defending this and absolutely hate this decision...you'd be surprised. I personally know several people who, after 131 episodes of Super in Japanese, have grown to prefer the Japanese cast, but still dislike "Kuririn", "Kamesenin", "Freeza", etc.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.