Toei's Dragon Ball Kai remaster

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sumpter360
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Location: St. Peters, MO - Currently applying for Residency at Hinata Apartments :)

Toei's Dragon Ball Kai remaster

Post by sumpter360 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:32 pm

I'm rewatching my old Dragon Ball Kai Blu-rays and boy, does the picture look soft!

Did we ever get confirmation that the original Z footage used was actually remastered at 1080p for this release? Or is it just 480p footage color-corrected and upscaled to HD?

EDIT:
I made a frame-compare of the shot where Goku "saves" Gohan from the waterfall in DBZ episode 1, comparing the Dragon Box Z, Kai, and FUNi 30th footage. I zoomed as best I could to match the 30th set, so that all you're comparing is the remaster visual style, clarity, colors, etc. If anyone else is interested

EDIT 2: I decided to edit the first Frame-Compare to include the FUNimation Raw Film screenshot as well. I've included that zoomed to match the most zoomed release (which, in the case of the first screen, is the FUNi 30th Ann) plus I threw in the raw, full-size, just for kicks.

I think I'm going to do this with as many of the screens we get from all 4 of these sources. I'll edit this post as I finish more.

I'm probably having too much fun with this :lol:

Goku and Gohan: http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/EJFFNNNU
Freeza: http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/EJF1NNNU
Last edited by sumpter360 on Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:30 pm, edited 5 times in total.
I am neither subbie nor dubbie, I am all that is good: I am a FANBOY!

PSN ID (on PS4): sumpter360
YouTube Account: TheDbG33K
Twitter Account: https://twitter.com/dbG33K
Tumblr Blog: http://g33kout.tumblr.com

Ajay

Re: Toei's Dragon Ball Kai remaster

Post by Ajay » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:42 pm

The majority of Dragon Ball Z was shot on 16mm film compared to the more standard 35mm. QTEC who remastered the series applied some fairly liberal DNR to the footage, which when combined with the already smaller format 16mm film resulted in pretty soft overall image quality.

However, there were a few episodes of Z shot on 35mm film, and in Kai, those episodes are pretty damn sharp as a result.

16mm:
35mm:
So in answer to your question: yes, it's true HD, it's just not the sharpest thing ever on the whole.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:14 pm

What Ajay said. That run of episodes is IMO the best the original show has EVER looked, because at that size of film reel you don't lose as much picture information with the DNR, so it just looks fantastic.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:45 pm

Had they not DNRd it, and had they had the goal of restoring the original colors rather than changing them to the comic’s colors, it would’ve been the untoppable best the series has ever / could ever look. But Toei can’t think ahead beyond even their noses, otherwise they would’ve had that done while Kai was being made. Or while the Dragon Box Z sets were being made. Like, the show just needs ONE good scan / clean up, and then you’re good to: throw it on DVD, throw it on BD, cut it up to make “new” shows, et cetera, all for a FAR cheaper cost than doing whole thing over from the beginning each time...
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:42 am

Say what you will about the 30th Anniversary collection, but IIRC Funi didn't make a whole new raw HD transfer for it, as they already has a good raw scan of their footage.

That said, a new HD transfer of the First-gen footage without DNR would be amazing.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

VDenter

Post by VDenter » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:06 pm

Kai looks blurry thanks to the awful DNR. It's still about the best the series has looked, Level Sets aside but it's far from perfect. Really IMO the best thing Kai has going for it are the colors, which really do save it but the image quality is way too soft.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:39 pm

Ajay wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:42 pm So in answer to your question: yes, it's true HD, it's just not the sharpest thing ever on the whole.
It's only barely got a HD level of detail, though.
You can actually downscale the picture to 720p and then scale it back up to 1080 and you'll likely notice no difference.
If you scale it back to 480, there is just about a somewhat noticeable difference, but it amounts to very little; there's only barely any detail beyond standard-def in Kai.

Take a look:

1080p original
720p rescale
480p rescale

Q-TEC did a pretty awful job on Kai by applying DNR so heavily. The level of detail left in the picture really is appalling, and while there are subtle differences between these three screenshots you'll notice if you look close, I defy you to notice it watching in motion.

Q-TEC's DNR filter is better than Funi's, but like Funi, they applied it at a level far beyond reason.
I'd prefer this to something as awful as the 30th set, but... Well, I'd rather be punched in the face than stabbed in the face.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:46 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:39 pm Q-TEC's DNR filter is better than Funi's, but like Funi, they applied it at a level far beyond reason.
I'd prefer this to something as awful as the 30th set, but... Well, I'd rather be punched in the face than stabbed in the face.
Yet another instance of trying to present DBZ (even an edited form of it) as much more modern than it actually is and falling flat on their face.

sumpter360
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Location: St. Peters, MO - Currently applying for Residency at Hinata Apartments :)

Post by sumpter360 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:40 pm

Yeah, seeing that comparison of the 1080 vs 720 vs 480 is the confirmation I was looking for, and why it's understandable that I thought it was just upscaled 480p footage. I'd like to see some comparisons of FUNi's 30th set to Kai in 1080p.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:38 pm

A compressed JPEG image does not actually show the true quality but rather gives a rough idea of what it looks like. Dragon Ball Kai in its untouched HD quality looks gorgeous and even moreso with the cinematic and atmospheric Kenji Yamamoto score.

sumpter360
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by sumpter360 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:52 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:38 pm A compressed JPEG image does not actually show the true quality but rather gives a rough idea of what it looks like. Dragon Ball Kai in its untouched HD quality looks gorgeous and even moreso with the cinematic and atmospheric Kenji Yamamoto score.
Shame the whole series cannot be watched with Yamamoto's score... I rather liked it, honestly.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:02 pm

sumpter360 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:52 pm
JohnnyCashKami wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:38 pm A compressed JPEG image does not actually show the true quality but rather gives a rough idea of what it looks like. Dragon Ball Kai in its untouched HD quality looks gorgeous and even moreso with the cinematic and atmospheric Kenji Yamamoto score.
Shame the whole series cannot be watched with Yamamoto's score... I rather liked it, honestly.
You can up to episode 95 but just not legally.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:07 pm

Amazing how some music can make the picture look better!
sumpter360 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:40 pm Yeah, seeing that comparison of the 1080 vs 720 vs 480 is the confirmation I was looking for, and why it's understandable that I thought it was just upscaled 480p footage. I'd like to see some comparisons of FUNi's 30th set to Kai in 1080p.
Here you go, from a recent thread that wanted to compare ALL releases. My verdict is that the Black Brick picture is sharper, but more zoomed in compared to Kai and has watercolour smearing on the background paintings. Kai also has a more accurate white balance IMO.

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:20 pm

Damn Kai might be a little soft but boy did they do a good job with the remaster. If only the redrawn stuff wasn't so distracting.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:19 pm

KBABZ wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:07 pm
Amazing how some music can make the picture look better!
K. I goofed up but you make a good point, if I was watching a picture or a slideshow of Dragon Ball Z with the limited Kikuchi score I'd hate it but if it was with the proper Kikuchi Z score or the Yamamoto score then I'd love it. :P

Dragon Ball Kai does have a soft image but it still remains as one of the best HD remasters of Dragon Ball Z. I kind of hope that TOEI isn't remastering Z because if it's similar to the TV SP2 remaster style.. might as well just watch the Dragon Boxes Z or the Level Sets instead. I mean, it ain't bad but it's not that great either.

sumpter360
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by sumpter360 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:32 pm

I edited my initial post adding a compare of the Freeza image.

Also, TL;DR I've decided to make more frame-compares of the screens where we have it from all 4 sources: DBox, Kai, Black Brick, and FUNi Raw Film. I love seeing the comparisons, as well as making them, so I hope y'all do too :)

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:59 pm

sumpter360 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:32 pm I edited my initial post adding a compare of the Freeza image.

Also, TL;DR I've decided to make more frame-compares of the screens where we have it from all 4 sources: DBox, Kai, Black Brick, and FUNi Raw Film. I love seeing the comparisons, as well as making them, so I hope y'all do too :)
I mean we have an existing thread for that! viewtopic.php?f=7&t=43842

Trachta10
Beyond Newbie

Post by Trachta10 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:47 am

Ajay wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:42 pm The majority of Dragon Ball Z was shot on 16mm film compared to the more standard 35mm. QTEC who remastered the series applied some fairly liberal DNR to the footage, which when combined with the already smaller format 16mm film resulted in pretty soft overall image quality.

However, there were a few episodes of Z shot on 35mm film, and in Kai, those episodes are pretty damn sharp as a result.

16mm:
35mm:
So in answer to your question: yes, it's true HD, it's just not the sharpest thing ever on the whole.
What do you think about this? I tried to eliminate the blur and upscaled it
zoom

Other examples

sumpter360
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by sumpter360 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:53 pm

Trachta10 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:47 am
Ajay wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:42 pm The majority of Dragon Ball Z was shot on 16mm film compared to the more standard 35mm. QTEC who remastered the series applied some fairly liberal DNR to the footage, which when combined with the already smaller format 16mm film resulted in pretty soft overall image quality.

16mm:
35mm:
*snip*
Mmm I love it! Make that into a script I could run my episodes through, and I'd have a new preferred version for watching!

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:07 pm

Trachta10 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:47 am

16mm:
35mm:
zoom

Other examples
Whoa. That looks a helluva lot better than a standard sharpening filter. What did you do?!
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler