"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:31 pm

DragonBallFan wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:27 am
VirtuaBranson wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:23 am
DragonBallFan wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:49 am I'm not supporting Funimation anymore, some of those VA's are very unprofessional and I don't feel they deserve this franchise.
What happened now that I need to pretend to care about?
Decades of Sean Schemmel being a 'great' person.
Oh please. He's not the best guy around but people heavily exaggerate how much of a "jerk" he is.

Bryesque
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bryesque » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:48 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:57 am
Bryesque wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:52 am
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:25 am Image
Not a surprising pick! I'm assuming Jiren and Android 17 will round this set out. Any idea if there's a release date yet? (I haven't noticed one announced, anyway.)

Is it just me, though, or do the proportions seem... kinda off? Like there's a gap around her waist that logo's covering up. Maybe she was just drawn that way, though?
July the 2nd.

UI Goku will probably be the final part 10 cover. Maybe "Omen" for Part 9 too. Can't see them not doing a UI for one of them.
...wow, don't ask why I didn't think of that possibility. :lol: Just wishful thinking that the ToP arc would end with the winner on the cover, but basic marketing sense wins out here. (And they could do a cool shining silver finish on the slipcover.)

Thanks for the info. :thumbup:

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:09 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:31 pm Oh please. He's not the best guy around but people heavily exaggerate how much of a "jerk" he is.
The thing with Kelamis at Kamehacon was pretty scummy, but other than that all I've heard is either him being callous and overly possessive of the Goku role, or people angry at him speaking out against Vic.

Now that doesn't mean he hasn't done worse things I'm not aware of, but to stop supporting an entire company including all the stuff he isn't even in, that seems a little extreme.

EDIT: Okay, I do remember one person in the Vic threads early on saying he touched her under her skirt (I believe before he said anything against Vic). That would be very bad if true. I haven't seen much substantiating this, but it shouldn't be forgotten.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:25 pm

Shaddy wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:09 pm
Dbzfan94 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:31 pm Oh please. He's not the best guy around but people heavily exaggerate how much of a "jerk" he is.
The thing with Kelamis at Kamehacon was pretty scummy, but other than that all I've heard is either him being callous and overly possessive of the Goku role, or people angry at him speaking out against Vic.

Now that doesn't mean he hasn't done worse things I'm not aware of, but to stop supporting an entire company including all the stuff he isn't even in, that seems a little extreme.

EDIT: Okay, I do remember one person in the Vic threads early on saying he touched her under her skirt (I believe before he said anything against Vic). That would be very bad if true. I haven't seen much substantiating this, but it shouldn't be forgotten.
As Sean explained in his Geekdom101 interview, he just hates the wrong people getting credit for stuff others did. He personally doesn't like to sign DVDs that his voice wasn't used in, for instance, is the example he used. Yeah, he shouldn't have gotten Kelamis uninvited from the con, but that got fixed & now we just had a multi-Goku panel with several of the English-speaking Gokus at KamehaCon. Obviously, this mess has been sorted out with proper casting credits.

Who touched whose skirt now? I don't remember THAT being discussed in there. Since there isn't anything corroborating this rumor, treat it as such unless something comes to light.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:02 pm

Scsigs wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:25 pm As Sean explained in his Geekdom101 interview, he just hates the wrong people getting credit for stuff others did. He personally doesn't like to sign DVDs that his voice wasn't used in, for instance, is the example he used. Yeah, he shouldn't have gotten Kelamis uninvited from the con, but that got fixed & now we just had a multi-Goku panel with several of the English-speaking Gokus at KamehaCon. Obviously, this mess has been sorted out with proper casting credits.
Okay, that's basically what I already said. It doesn't really matter who was in what, fans are fans. If someone had an actual attachment to something and wanted it signed by an official cast member, isn't "well I wasn't in that" kind of a really stupid reason to refuse? Or hey, any of the singles DVDs set during the Cell saga where Goku was inactive, even if it has the Funi dub for everyone else. Think he wouldn't sign those? If you have to debate, it's a dumb justification. No other actors and actresses who've played Goku give a shit about this.
Scsigs wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:25 pm Who touched whose skirt now? I don't remember THAT being discussed in there. Since there isn't anything corroborating this rumor, treat it as such unless something comes to light.
Yeah, that's why I said it wasn't very substantiated. Doesn't mean it's worth totally forgetting in a discussion about Schemmel and bad behavior. Also, it was page 2

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:38 am

From my observation, a lot of things that people used to show that Sean is terrible to fans is mostly other fans (mostly hardcore sub fans), provoking or trolling him. And for some reason, compared to other VAs, he gets the worse of it. You don't have to look no further than how people acted about how he would voice Black before the official dub. Some, some concern was justified given how he did in Xenoverse and even FighterZ to a lesser extent when he overdid the accent, but most of it was just uncalled for.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

DragonBallFan
Temporarily Banned

Post by DragonBallFan » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:37 am

The thing is, and I do agree it's extreme, but the company is hypocritical, Sean and the others have been VERY unprofessional, calling people assholes, even the ones that aren't being trolls, and yes, the trolls are bastards but who does it look worse on? The person who's responding back with anger and rage while not thinking, or the people taking the mickey?

I have seen the interviews, but Sean has a very narrow minded view on things,.

What irritates me as well is if Vic did do the thing's he's being accused of, Sean, Monica and her husband are doing a massive disservice to the other victims, which makes me angry, it's selfish and disgusting, they are making it so a criminal has a better chance of getting away with what he's done, if he's done anything at all, there are two sides to a story.

Sean comes across as very sexist as well, saying to believe all women, like everyone should just believe every women because women can't do wrong. If this was the other way around with a male being sexually assaulted or raped he wouldn't speak out or make near as much of a commotion. Imagine if someone said "believe all men", that would be so damn sexist and there would be an uproar, it goes to show that people like him and the others at the moment have a very small mental capacity to think logically, Sean will be taken advantage of by tons of women if he sticks to those beliefs. People shouldn't be believed if they are a man or women, there should be evidence and they should be treated based on how they treat others.

Not to mention there has been evidence of people trying to conspire against Vic. Vic has also came out and told his side of the story, people are extremely biased.

And before someone calls be a Vic supporter, I'm not, I support no side because I simply don't know, there are two sides to a story, but if you think the way Sean and the others have been acting recently is alright, then you will most likely not listen to what anyone has to say and you'll insult and attack just like the trolls, showing your just as low, so do everyone a favour and if you are going to respond to a comment, think twice and hard before clicking send, because your not helping your cause. (Not a personal attack to anyone, just to any random who's reading this).

DragonBallFan
Temporarily Banned

Post by DragonBallFan » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:40 am

Are they still using Yamamuro designs, ewwww

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:02 am

DragonBallFan wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:40 am
All the international promo art for the ToP was done well before Broly and besides they would probably adhere to the designs of DBS 1.0 anyway.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:31 am

DragonBallFan wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:37 am

The thing is, and I do agree it's extreme, but the company is hypocritical, Sean and the others have been VERY unprofessional, calling people assholes, even the ones that aren't being trolls, and yes, the trolls are bastards but who does it look worse on? The person who's responding back with anger and rage while not thinking, or the people taking the mickey?

What irritates me as well is if Vic did do the thing's he's being accused of, Sean, Monica and her husband are doing a massive disservice to the other victims, which makes me angry, it's selfish and disgusting, they are making it so a criminal has a better chance of getting away with what he's done, if he's done anything at all, there are two sides to a story.

Sean comes across as very sexist as well, saying to believe all women, like everyone should just believe every women because women can't do wrong. If this was the other way around with a male being sexually assaulted or raped he wouldn't speak out or make near as much of a commotion. Imagine if someone said "believe all men", that would be so damn sexist and there would be an uproar, it goes to show that people like him and the others at the moment have a very small mental capacity to think logically, Sean will be taken advantage of by tons of women if he sticks to those beliefs. People shouldn't be believed if they are a man or women, there should be evidence and they should be treated based on how they treat others.

Not to mention there has been evidence of people trying to conspire against Vic. Vic has also came out and told his side of the story, people are extremely biased.

And before someone calls be a Vic supporter, I'm not, I support no side because I simply don't know, there are two sides to a story, but if you think the way Sean and the others have been acting recently is alright, then you will most likely not listen to what anyone has to say and you'll insult and attack just like the trolls, showing your just as low, so do everyone a favour and if you are going to respond to a comment, think twice and hard before clicking send, because your not helping your cause. (Not a personal attack to anyone, just to any random who's reading this).
Mate, could you take this crap out of this thread? People have explained dozens of times over in the actual Vic Migogna topic why the accusers aren't being "the bias" or unprofessional and why taking the holier-than-thou neutral route is willful ignorance at best. It's a discussion that should best be saved for there, only after you've read up on it and gotten an idea of why this isn't a stance you should be taking.

This whole situation has really put the fandom's hatred of Sean Schemmel in perspective. For all his faults, it's kind of hard to dislike him when you look at how petty his faux pas have been compared to those of an actual bad person.

DragonBallFan
Temporarily Banned

Post by DragonBallFan » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:46 am

Kataphrut wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:31 am

Mate, could you take this crap out of this thread? People have explained dozens of times over in the actual Vic Migogna topic why the accusers aren't being "the bias" or unprofessional and why taking the holier-than-thou neutral route is willful ignorance at best. It's a discussion that should best be saved for there, only after you've read up on it and gotten an idea of why this isn't a stance you should be taking.

This whole situation has really put the fandom's hatred of Sean Schemmel in perspective. For all his faults, it's kind of hard to dislike him when you look at how petty his faux pas have been compared to those of an actual bad person.
I haven't seen an explanation, link it please(I know the thread but the part where it's explained). And I have been following the whole situation, just not recently, having a a neutral stance isn't ignorance, believing anything you hear about is, you don't know the whole story, even Christopher Sabat has stated that.

I'm not saying Sean's a bad person, he just doesn't think before he speaks sometimes. Not to mention he doesn't think for himself. You can't just believe all women, that is ignorant, it's the most stupid thing I've heard, if you just believe someone because their female then those users who were in that leaked facebook chat should be believed because there's no way they are lying even though it's obvious they were, but we won't talk about that, will we?

Mate, unless you know the whole story you can't take a proper stance, there are things we don't know about, things have just been getting messier and messier, hopefully when the court case is over and everything is revealed, you can have a stance, but now, you'd have to be biased to just stand with either Vic or Monica and the others.

It is unprofessional what they have been doing, what they are doing is working in Vic's favour, I don't know how you don't see that. Monica's husband is already pushing it. What is not 'unprofessional' about constantly fighting with idiots calling you a cuck? Sometimes you need to get off your high horse mate and think for yourself.
Last edited by DragonBallFan on Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

DragonBallFan
Temporarily Banned

Post by DragonBallFan » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:48 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:02 am
All the international promo art for the ToP was done well before Broly and besides they would probably adhere to the designs of DBS 1.0 anyway.
Ah I see, thanks for clearing that up. Still hurts to see his art being used still. Though he is making good improvements.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:10 am

[Vic discussion that should be in the Vic thread]
Your feelings are valid, but I think this might be the wrong thread for it.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:30 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:25 am
Um, why wouldn't they? It's not like they'd randomly switch to Shintani. Yamamuro was still the main character designer & animation director of the series when these episodes were produced, so they're gonna use the art made by him for their home releases, since they have to use artwork provided by Toei anyways & it's better to remain consistent with the product at hand than switch to better art just because it's newer. You might argue that the newer releases of Z use Shintani-style artwork, & you'd be right, but, again, those were done before the 4th Broly movie, so those don't count.

Speaking of, I wish the shit with Vic Mignogna didn't go down. Granted, they'll find a suitable voice double, but with this new version of Broly, I'd actually be looking forward to new appearances of the character voiced by Vic. A well, cie la vie. Vic fucked up & now he's screwed himself out of a steady pay check (just for clarification, though, I'm not in-league with the majority of the anti-Vic crowd, other evidence that he's done other things that are still dick moves on his part forced my hand in this decision). And that's all I'll say about that here because this shit gives me migraines.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:18 pm

Well I'd rather Vic had just been fired before the movie rather than after. Then we get the problem solved much faster and could even associate different actors with the 90s version of the character and the good version.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:48 pm

Shaddy wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:18 pm Well I'd rather Vic had just been fired before the movie rather than after. Then we get the problem solved much faster and could even associate different actors with the 90s version of the character and the good version.
And yet if the controversy didn't happen, we wouldn't be talking about this shit, would we?

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:01 pm

Not sure what that even means?

I was actually kind of hoping he'd been recasted before I even knew about it when he was played by someone else in the trailer and I never really liked his Broly in the first place.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:08 pm

Shaddy wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:01 pm Not sure what that even means?

I was actually kind of hoping he'd been recasted before I even knew about it when he was played by someone else in the trailer and I never really liked his Broly in the first place.
Yeah, but I don't think they'd've done that when Vic was still willing & able to do it.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:31 pm

Well, there's some evidence that suggests they were trying to, which is why he wasn't in the initial trailer or cast listings. I'm not saying that without the Broly movie he would still have been fired in early 2019 like he was, I'm just saying I wish something else could have lead to that result before the film got dubbed, because of consistency (something I care a lot about in dubs) and my personal opinions on his acting and behavior.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:38 pm

Shaddy wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:31 pm Well, there's some evidence that suggests they were trying to, which is why he wasn't in the initial trailer or cast listings. I'm not saying that without the Broly movie he would still have been fired in early 2019 like he was, I'm just saying I wish something else could have lead to that result before the film got dubbed, because of consistency (something I care a lot about in dubs) and my personal opinions on his acting and behavior.
I mean, I took that as either he wasn't available, or it was a trailer that was dubbed on short notice in a very small amount of time. I mean, I'm sure they kept 0 of those takes from the trailer in the movie when they went to actually dubbed the full movie. Vic was probably busy with other stuff at the time & Broly didn't have a lot of lines in it anyways, only the yelling & screaming, so it made sense to just get another person to fill in for the trailer while Vic would come in when the movie was being dubbed to rerecord them, which he did.