"Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - (Non) Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by PFM18 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:39 am

Akamay wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:04 pm While I do see a bunch of people pointing out that "Dragon Ball Super WILL return soon 100%", how much would Toei be able to delay announcing the series assuming that all the leaked information has some truth to it and the series will return sometime later this year?
Also, besides magazine announcements, would there be any way for the news to be released in Japan?
I think that if they have not made an accouncement by around mid May, then I think we should start worrying that these leaks may not have merit. Less than 2 months doesn't seem like enough time to hype it up as much as they would like for marketing purposes.

Yedis
Beyond Newbie

Post by Yedis » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:19 pm

The anime is heavily pirated anyway, they could announce it a week before it debuts and I don't think much would change

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:56 pm

although many have probably taken my comment as a joke ... in fact I really think that if the idea of returning to goku younger in search of the dragon balls with a new cast could be much better now, if it did not work in GT it was because the universe had already been explored in Z so doing it again does not add anything more important anymore also pan and trunks in these versions they are not so interesting as to have the protagonists.
but if you explore the planet sadala in question with the new cast of characters that we have with goku, teaching them could be very interesting and fun to watch.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:17 pm

Tai Lung wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:56 pm although many have probably taken my comment as a joke ... in fact I really think that if the idea of returning to goku younger in search of the dragon balls with a new cast could be much better now, if it did not work in GT it was because the universe had already been explored in Z so doing it again does not add anything more important anymore also pan and trunks in these versions they are not so interesting as to have the protagonists.
but if you explore the planet sadala in question with the new cast of characters that we have with goku, teaching them could be very interesting and fun to watch.
Turning Goku into a kid in it of itself was a problem. Its just playing on nostalgia but not the point where its regression (both physically and mentally) of a character and people get annoyed. And DBS trying to do the same would amount to tons of accusations of DBS being a cheap nostalgia cash grab that is too lazy to come up with new ideas and it would be true,

Dbs plays on nostalgia and fanservice based on the past of DB way too much.

I think i speak for everyone when i say that we want DBS 2.0 to be more original and with more logical fanservice based on its OWN series. I’m talking about stuff like Planet Sadala exploration, Erased universe stuff, Zalama, Jiren’s Evil-doer. Plot threads that DBS Part 1 has established that are ripe for the picking when DBS 2 comes along.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:21 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:17 pm
Tai Lung wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:56 pm although many have probably taken my comment as a joke ... in fact I really think that if the idea of returning to goku younger in search of the dragon balls with a new cast could be much better now, if it did not work in GT it was because the universe had already been explored in Z so doing it again does not add anything more important anymore also pan and trunks in these versions they are not so interesting as to have the protagonists.
Turning Goku into a kid in it of itself was a problem. Its just playing on nostalgia but not the point where its regression (both physically and mentally) of a character and people get annoyed. And DBS trying to do the same would amount to tons of accusations of DBS being a cheap nostalgia cash grab that is too lazy to come up with new ideas and it would be true,

I think i speak for everyone when i say that we want DBS 2.0 to be more original and with more logical fanservice based on its OWN series. I’m talking about stuff like Planet Sadala exploration, Erased universe stuff, Zalama, Jiren’s Evil-doer. Plot threads that DBS Part 1 has established that are ripe for the picking when DBS 2 comes along.
I agree. And ofcourse now we have Moro. So that’s new aswell.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:39 am

I agree with that, although I think it was mainly because they did not give him another purpose beyond that, unlike the future mai that gave him a new life.

but since they mentioned GT and fanservice I was curious if the series could reference to this with a younger goku.

GodVegetto91 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:21 pm

I agree. And ofcourse now we have Moro. So that’s new aswell.
I consider it a great disappointment that Moro is not a villain from another universe makes him feel repetitive especially since they are only fight with goku and vegeta

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:09 pm

Tai Lung wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:39 am

I agree with that, although I think it was mainly because they did not give him another purpose beyond that, unlike the future mai that gave him a new life.

but since they mentioned GT and fanservice I was curious if the series could reference to this with a younger goku.
They never mentioned the fanservice being GT related. Just that it was super fanservicy.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Akamay
Beyond Newbie

Post by Akamay » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:22 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:17 pm I think i speak for everyone when i say that we want DBS 2.0 to be more original and with more logical fanservice based on its OWN series. I’m talking about stuff like Planet Sadala exploration, Erased universe stuff, Zalama, Jiren’s Evil-doer. Plot threads that DBS Part 1 has established that are ripe for the picking when DBS 2 comes along.
I don't personally mind if DBS2.0 touches topics from earlier parts of the Dragon Ball Lore as long as the execution is entertaining enough. The main issue I think most people have with the series nowadays is how it's "The Goku and Vegeta show." If the new production team takes their time to make characters besides Goku and Vegeta more interesting or more active in the story, it should make the overall series feel a bit more "new."

As for "fanservice", it would be nice to get some stuff from early Dragon Ball if it is used in a clever way. The Mafuba for Zamasu was fine as it was already something established in the series. Likewise, it could be cool to see some of the things that were forgotten to come back, things such as Goku being able to use the Kamehameha with his feet.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:59 pm

Akamay wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:22 pm
AnimeNation101 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:17 pm I think i speak for everyone when i say that we want DBS 2.0 to be more original and with more logical fanservice based on its OWN series. I’m talking about stuff like Planet Sadala exploration, Erased universe stuff, Zalama, Jiren’s Evil-doer. Plot threads that DBS Part 1 has established that are ripe for the picking when DBS 2 comes along.
I don't personally mind if DBS2.0 touches topics from earlier parts of the Dragon Ball Lore as long as the execution is entertaining enough. The main issue I think most people have with the series nowadays is how it's "The Goku and Vegeta show." If the new production team takes their time to make characters besides Goku and Vegeta more interesting or more active in the story, it should make the overall series feel a bit more "new."

As for "fanservice", it would be nice to get some stuff from early Dragon Ball if it is used in a clever way. The Mafuba for Zamasu was fine as it was already something established in the series. Likewise, it could be cool to see some of the things that were forgotten to come back, things such as Goku being able to use the Kamehameha with his feet.
It won’t just be Goku and Vegeta from now on. Because now we have Broly too. And he will be MORE than relevant against future threats.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:50 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:09 pm
Tai Lung wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:39 am

They never mentioned the fanservice being GT related. Just that it was super fanservicy.
I was referring to the conversation that had been made about whether they make a reference to GT series that was a possibility with fan service in general

Akamay
Beyond Newbie

Post by Akamay » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:34 am

GodVegetto91 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:59 pm It won’t just be Goku and Vegeta from now on. Because now we have Broly too. And he will be MORE than relevant against future threats.
.....sorta? As far as we know, he is around and he can be called whenever, yes. Thing is, Broly has no ties to any other character on the main cast besides Goku. Yeah, we will see him again, but to the point where he'll be around all the time? No, not really. Unless you have something happen that directly needs assistance from everyone from Universe 7 again or something that makes Broly need to fight the enemy, I don't see him being used that often. In a way, he's on the same boat as someone like Gohan. Unless something directly affects him, he will probably not show up.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:02 pm

Re: Retelling

Might not mean anything or might, but feel like I should post anyway just so folks can prepare for the worst.

August Tag Fighters confirmed to be labelled DBS no movie tag., for comparison this month's Grandista Gogeta (first movie figure in about 4 months) has the movie tag. The big reason for them dropping the movie title would be if there is a retelling on air, alternatively they may just feel that since DBS is on the air they don't need to label the movie stuff specifically anymore.

For what it is also worth, they are re-releasing the December Gogeta figures in August and also releasing the Premium Adverge In August too. September's SS Broly vs Gogeta Match Makers also has just the DBS label like the Tag Fighters.

Not saying there is 100% gonna be a retelling but while we await confirmation of the series just something to put in the back of the mind.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:16 pm

I think a retelling is very likely as it buys them time to get more stories ready and for pre-production.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:34 pm

sintzu wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:16 pm I think a retelling is very likely as it buys them time to get more stories ready and for pre-production.
Thats, not how it works?

I mean, it WOULD give Toriyama more time to get his story ready but in terms of pre-production, they’d have as much time for pre-production of said new story as they would if they didn’t have a retelling anyway.

Just because the arc they’re doing is a retelling, doesn’t mean they get even more time for preproduction for the next arc.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:35 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:34 pm
sintzu wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:16 pm I think a retelling is very likely as it buys them time to get more stories ready and for pre-production.
Thats, not how it works?

I mean, it WOULD give Toriyama more time to get his story ready but in terms of pre-production, they’d have as much time for pre-production of said new story as they would if they didn’t have a retelling anyway.
I'm half right. If a Broly retelling will allow Toriyama to write new content it'll (hopefully) result in less filler episodes.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:34 pm

Honestly Toriyama should have already finished at least 2 stories since he wrote Broly, considering the script was finalised in June 2017. He’s basically had 2 whole years to think up new stories, unless he got extremely lazy I really hope he’s been able to write a few stories in advance as that would help the anime team immensely to know already how the story will play out after the next arcs.

I am hoping there won’t be a retelling because the parts which were cut out of the movie weren’t that important and most likely stuff that Toei/Shueisha/DB Room added and which could very well be repurposed into a TV special of some sort down the line, or even “filler” episodes in the future/tie-in with a Sadala arc. I don’t need to see the whole story of the movie again just to see Raditz fighting Nappa to be honest.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:25 pm

emperior wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:34 pm
Honestly Toriyama should have already finished at least 2 stories since he wrote Broly, considering the script was finalised in June 2017. He’s basically had 2 whole years to think up new stories, unless he got extremely lazy I really hope he’s been able to write a few stories in advance as that would help the anime team immensely to know already how the story will play out after the next arcs.

I am hoping there won’t be a retelling because the parts which were cut out of the movie weren’t that important and most likely stuff that Toei/Shueisha/DB Room added and which could very well be repurposed into a TV special of some sort down the line, or even “filler” episodes in the future/tie-in with a Sadala arc. I don’t need to see the whole story of the movie again just to see Raditz fighting Nappa to be honest.
It was said that the script Toriyama wrote was three hours after he was told it was too short before. So it wasn’t the Dragon Room adding anything.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

louisascommie
Beyond Newbie

Post by louisascommie » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:21 pm

We are in the end game now.

Feel like the announcment will be some random day and not a day of any specific day of significance

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:34 pm

emperior wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:34 pm

Hopefully Toriyama has used his time to write story outlines in more detail compared to the ones we had for the arcs from dbs

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:03 pm

I need someone to clarify.

2.0 is supposed to be announced later this month and then broadcasted the next, right?
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time