Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:46 am

FUNimation did compare their HD Remaster to the Dragon Box but that was a time when FUNimation was doing a genuine HD transfer of Dragon Ball Z series.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:17 am

KBABZ wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:22 pm
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:03 pm Not necessarily. The non UI Grandista Goku mould has had a lot of colourings:
Incidentally the base Goku's original production image had different colours to the final:
Jesus, how'd you find all of those?? I had to scrape just to get the image I had!

The colour change for the bottom examples makes sense actually, the pre-release ones were the Super Saiyan colours, where Goku's gi is a more yellow shade of orange (from the Super Saiyan aura, I guess?).
I have so many images across my phone, laptop and portable hard drive it is kinda crazy aha. Gotta get on top these things, which is why I dedicated myself to DB merch in 2017 because of the lack of information in English out there but it is so insane now because even Japanese people rely on me for information and I have conversations with Japanese sculptors fairly regularly, something I thought never would happen when I started that thread!

Yeah that colour change was very welcomed by Banpresto last year and was another string of good decisions in 2018, however in 2019 prior to them dissolving they regressed and started making final versions worse, like this month's UI "Omen" figure we waitied 1.5years for a blue shirt "Omen" figure and they ruined the unique charm of the original prototype /:

SuperSaiyanPan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanPan » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:47 pm

Bruce Faulconer confirmed (Not that it was doubted) and Nathan Johnson for the first 67 episodes until Faulconer takes over until EoZ. Support messed up and said Mark Menza but they mean Johnson.

Plus FUNimation says the process used to remaster this series isn't the same as the Level Sets.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:52 pm

Haven't been around long enough to hear the take on Mark Menza's music. How's it compare to Kikuchi?

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:55 pm

SuperSaiyanPan wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:47 pm Bruce Faulconer confirmed (Not that it was doubted) and Nathan Johnson for the first 67 episodes until Faulconer takes over until EoZ. Support messed up and said Mark Menza but they mean Johnson.

Yep, i figured it was going to be the dub w/Kikuchi music track and the revised broadcast dub track that's been on every release (barring the Dragon Boxes) since the Orange Bricks. Also, it isn't a surprise that the remastering is not the exact one they used on the Level BD's if the screenshots are any indication of that.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:57 pm

We've pretty much seen and know how the FUNimation 30th Anniversary Blu-rays are going to look like so that's it. Either take it or leave it as sad as it is FUNimation isn't going to give us a proper DBZ remaster like the Level Sets had.

There's a silver lining to all this. The 30th Anniversary Blu-rays are shit but they're in the original 4:3 AR so it may get re-released later as "Seasons". No way is this an "opportunity of a lifetime" only morons would believe that. :lol:

KBABZ it's FUNi's GT replacement score. To me it sounded like a bunch of garbage. Hell, not even musically can I praise it whereas Faulconer is pretty darn good and even the Johnson score, too.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:01 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:57 pm We've pretty much seen and know how the FUNimation 30th Anniversary Blu-rays are going to look like so that's it. Either take it or leave it as sad as it is FUNimation isn't going to give us a proper DBZ remaster like the Level Sets had.

There's a silver lining to all this. The 30th Anniversary Blu-rays are shit but they're in the original 4:3 AR so it may get re-released later as "Seasons". No way is this an "opportunity of a lifetime" only morons would believe that. :lol:

KBABZ it's FUNi's GT replacement score. To me it sounded like a bunch of garbage. Hell, not even musically can I praise it whereas Faulconer is pretty darn good and even the Johnson score, too.
Yeah, i have already pretty much decided that i will not be getting the set. If this were indeed going to be a revival of the Level BD remaster that would actually go to the end of the series then i'd have potentially been interested, but given it's pretty much confirmed this is what it looks like then i say no thanks i'm just going to be sticking to my Dragon Boxes. Also, i have heard Menza's GT music before and quite frankly it really does sound terrible so even though i'm not overly nostalgic for the Team Faulconer score it does at least sound somewhat better as far as the replacement scores go.

One of the few things i can say on a good note about this is it's in the proper 4:3 aspect ratio this time, so at least they got that part right even if it doesn't negate the significant flaws with the video quality.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:12 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:57 pm No way is this an "opportunity of a lifetime" only morons would believe that. :lol:
I mean it is the only time you can buy, new, the set in that packaging setup, similar to the Dragon Boxes, for whatever that's worth.
JohnnyCashKami wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:57 pm KBABZ it's FUNi's GT replacement score. To me it sounded like a bunch of garbage. Hell, not even musically can I praise it whereas Faulconer is pretty darn good and even the Johnson score, too.
Durrr, I made the same mistake Funi did, I meant Johnson! This is the first I've ever heard of him.

The only other replacement soundtrack I've heard that wasn't Falcouner or Yamamoto is the Dragon Ball 96 dub score back when it was on Spotify. I was... okay, but had way too much synth for what that show is.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:19 pm

Nathan Johnson's Tapion Theme is a hidden gem and it feels like it would have fit in the movie "300" perfectly (which also has a stunning score).

Tapion's Theme: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eKP16ZYc7Ks

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:21 pm

I don’t have Falcouner DBZ which is an occasional guilty nostalgia trip for me, and I don’t want to hunt down all the DVD singles (and the Trunks ones with the driving episode etc. are impossible to find anyway), so I guess there’s my reason for keeping it. I don’t want it in widescreen. Fuck it.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:39 pm

People are buying the 30th Anniversary Blu-rays when it's just the Season Sets in 4:3 AR. Thus, FUNimation assumes the 30th Anniversary Blu-ray release is a success and that hardcore fans are happy with it.

You lot didn't vote with your wallet so it happened. Plus, those who pre-ordered can't complain because they knew it was a mediocre product from the get-go.

SuperSaiyanPan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanPan » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:51 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j6XNYdGmJM Goku Racing to the Rescue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZN0RwR7eg0 Nathan Johnson Recap

there are both tracks I really like from Johnson.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:04 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:39 pm People are buying the 30th Anniversary Blu-rays when it's just the Season Sets in 4:3 AR. Thus, FUNimation assumes the 30th Anniversary Blu-ray release is a success and that hardcore fans are happy with it.

You lot didn't vote with your wallet so it happened. Plus, those who pre-ordered can't complain because they knew it was a mediocre product from the get-go.
The only silver lining is that it's in 4:3, and honestly, the colors and DNR are only bad during the early episodes. If they released this as a budget release, I would definitely pick it up. However, this is a $350 collector's set. I expected level sets quality with NEPs, Japanese credits, and Japanese title cards maybe. That's why I'm passing on this set.

Plus I couldn't afford it anyway.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:09 pm

gokaiblue wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:04 pm The only silver lining is that it's in 4:3, and honestly, the colors and DNR are only bad during the early episodes. If they released this as a budget release, I would definitely pick it up. However, this is a $350 collector's set. I expected level sets quality with NEPs, Japanese credits, and Japanese title cards maybe. That's why I'm passing on this set.

Why do people keep saying they expect the Japanese credits & title cards? FUNi NEVER does that. The Dragon Boxes were a one-time thing. Nowhere else have they done that.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:11 pm

gokaiblue wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:04 pmPlus I couldn't afford it anyway.
Had this been a real hardcore DBZ Blu-ray release, it would at the very least cost between $500 to $700 because for $350 it sure felt like something was off for how cheap it is. Surprise, surprise.. it's the Season Sets remaster in 4:3 AR.

Scsigs, they did offer Japanese credits on Dragon Ball home media (DVD) but it was before "FUNimation 2.0" i.e., Dragon Ball Kai was released.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:16 pm

Scsigs wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:09 pm
gokaiblue wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:04 pm The only silver lining is that it's in 4:3, and honestly, the colors and DNR are only bad during the early episodes. If they released this as a budget release, I would definitely pick it up. However, this is a $350 collector's set. I expected level sets quality with NEPs, Japanese credits, and Japanese title cards maybe. That's why I'm passing on this set.

Why do people keep saying they expect the Japanese credits & title cards? FUNi NEVER does that. The Dragon Boxes were a one-time thing. Nowhere else have they done that.
I would have expected something like it for a 30th anniversary collection. The title cards were on most of the releases until the BluRay releases iirc. Credits and NEPs are a stretch, but for them to be working with Toei on this release, one would have hoped they would have been given those materials.
JohnnyCashKami wrote:Had this been a real hardcore DBZ Blu-ray release, it would at the very least cost between $500 to $700 because for $350 it sure felt like something was off for how cheap it is. Surprise, surprise.. it's the Season Sets remaster in 4:3 AR.
Really couldn't have afforded it then. Life of a college student and all
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:17 pm

SuperSaiyanPan wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:47 pm Bruce Faulconer confirmed (Not that it was doubted) and Nathan Johnson for the first 67 episodes until Faulconer takes over until EoZ. Support messed up and said Mark Menza but they mean Johnson.

Plus FUNimation says the process used to remaster this series isn't the same as the Level Sets.

The wording here is interesting. They mention different "versions" of the show, and specifically refer to Dub+Kikuchi as the "uncut" version. So what could that mean for the Dub+Faulconer option? Could the original edited Toonami dub be on there? But then that raises the question of episodes 1-67, which only ever aired uncut as far as I'm aware. It's probably just them using strange wording, as the Toonami dub would be a major selling point they would have mentioned already.

SuperSaiyanPan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanPan » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:18 pm

FUNimation has the NEP clips because they were using them back in the early 2000s when DBZ was airing. I was only 9 or 10 but I specifically remember them being shown.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:26 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:39 pm People are buying the 30th Anniversary Blu-rays when it's just the Season Sets in 4:3 AR. Thus, FUNimation assumes the 30th Anniversary Blu-ray release is a success and that hardcore fans are happy with it.

Dude, we get it, you don't like the Black Brick and the message its success sense Funimation. You don't have to make solo posts to nobody in particular just to state that to us for the 30th time.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:28 pm

90sDBZ wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:17 pmThe wording here is interesting. They mention different "versions" of the show, and specifically refer to Dub+Kikuchi as the "uncut" version. So what could that mean for the Dub+Faulconer option? Could the original edited Toonami dub be on there? But then that raises the question of episodes 1-67, which only ever aired uncut as far as I'm aware. It's probably just them using strange wording, as the Toonami dub would be a major selling point they would have mentioned already.
"English Version" (Original Score by Shunsuke Kikuchi | US Broadcast Music by Nathan Johnson and Faulconer Productions)
"Japanese Version" (Muffled Japanese Audio)

That's what he meant by "version" but you're wishing there was more to it. This is just a budget DBZ Blu-ray release masked as a "premium" one.
Last edited by JohnnyCashKami on Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.