"Dragon Ball Super" Crunchyroll Home Release Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FallenSaiyan31

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Home Release Thread

Post by FallenSaiyan31 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:16 pm

Source for Part 8 release date and art please!!

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:22 pm

FallenSaiyan31 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:16 pm Source for Part 8 release date and art please!!
It's up for pre-order from best buy and rightstuf.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:28 am

Tylerman29 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:22 pm
FallenSaiyan31 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:16 pm Source for Part 8 release date and art please!!
What is usually considered the best place to preorder these from? I preordered Part 7 from Amazon and it came on release day in perfect shape, but I've been having really dodgy experiences with broken cases, clips, and therefore scratched discs from them lately because they ship in those crappy padded envelopes, so when Part 7 arrived in perfect shape I thought it was more just good luck.

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:55 am

Char Aznable wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:28 am
What is usually considered the best place to preorder these from? I preordered Part 7 from Amazon and it came on release day in perfect shape, but I've been having really dodgy experiences with broken cases, clips, and therefore scratched discs from them lately because they ship in those crappy padded envelopes, so when Part 7 arrived in perfect shape I thought it was more just good luck.
I usually do amazon but recently I ordered the Broly steelbook from best buy and it came 3 days before the release date. So I went ahead and ordered part 8 from them. (Also had a gift card).

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:00 am

Tylerman29 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:55 am

I usually do amazon but recently I ordered the Broly steelbook from best buy and it came 3 days before the release date. So I went ahead and ordered part 8 from them. (Also had a gift card).
Maybe I'll try Best Buy this time, I'm just trying to avoid being banned from Amazon for doing too many returns/exchanges even though they're the ones sending me broken cases in the first place. Once they sent me Super Part 2 and the case was literally in two pieces. Does Best Buy ship in a box or an envelope?

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:56 am

Char Aznable wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:00 am
Tylerman29 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:55 am

Maybe I'll try Best Buy this time, I'm just trying to avoid being banned from Amazon for doing too many returns/exchanges even though they're the ones sending me broken cases in the first place. Once they sent me Super Part 2 and the case was literally in two pieces. Does Best Buy ship in a box or an envelope?
Cardboard envelope rather than the paper one from amazon.

AwesomeEliyafeth

Post by AwesomeEliyafeth » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:17 pm

The Part 8 set is live off FUNimation's website.

https://www.funimation.com/shop/home-vi ... blr-00404/

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:05 pm

Hmm...seems FUNi removed the "Vic Mignogna Answers Your Questions" featurette from the discs & whatever parts he must've recorded for the "Interview with the Cast of Dragon Ball Super: Broly" featurette. In fact, it seems like they got Jason Douglas &/or Ian Sinclair to record stuff Vic must've said to some extent to replace it. Like, I get the shit that happened with him, but what the fuck? These were advertised to be on the discs. Granted, I'm speculating on that second thing, but it's weird. He's playing the titular character, yet he's not there.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:35 pm

Scsigs wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:05 pm Hmm...seems FUNi removed the "Vic Mignogna Answers Your Questions" featurette from the discs & whatever parts he must've recorded for the "Interview with the Cast of Dragon Ball Super: Broly" featurette. In fact, it seems like they got Jason Douglas &/or Ian Sinclair to record stuff Vic must've said to some extent to replace it. Like, I get the shit that happened with him, but what the fuck? These were advertised to be on the discs. Granted, I'm speculating on that second thing, but it's weird. He's playing the titular character, yet he's not there.
First I heard of any Vic extras, where did you find out they were once on there?

Frankly the extras on here in general are crap. Absolutely nothing from the Japanese side of things, nothing on the production of the movie. No Nozawa interview, no Bin Shimada interview, no making of feature, just a bunch of dub stuff.

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:43 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:35 pm
Scsigs wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:05 pm Hmm...seems FUNi removed the "Vic Mignogna Answers Your Questions" featurette from the discs & whatever parts he must've recorded for the "Interview with the Cast of Dragon Ball Super: Broly" featurette. In fact, it seems like they got Jason Douglas &/or Ian Sinclair to record stuff Vic must've said to some extent to replace it. Like, I get the shit that happened with him, but what the fuck? These were advertised to be on the discs. Granted, I'm speculating on that second thing, but it's weird. He's playing the titular character, yet he's not there.
First I heard of any Vic extras, where did you find out they were once on there?

Frankly the extras on here in general are crap. Absolutely nothing from the Japanese side of things, nothing on the production of the movie. No Nozawa interview, no Bin Shimada interview, no making of feature, just a bunch of dub stuff.
I do think I remember seeing a couple of Vic extras advertised somewhere but looking back through all the sites selling it I don’t see it now

Possible I saw it on Funimations store page, on which no special features are advertised at all anymore

Honestly I wouldn’t have needed existing advertising to think interviews with him were recorded, though, you don’t do interviews with major cast members and then just happen leave out the title character

But that’s bordering on a different issue entirely, so I’ll leave it at that

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:50 am

Char Aznable wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:35 pm First I heard of any Vic extras, where did you find out they were once on there?

Amazon has it on their listing (though they might've removed it from the page by now)
https://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Ball-Supe ... 259&sr=8-1
I've heard that apparently Amazon & iTunes have been removing Vic from the cast listings (you see Schemmel, Sabat, & Ayres listed on the Amazon page there, but not Vic & iTunes has him listed at the very bottom of the cast list for instance), even though he SHOULD be getting top billing with them. So, it's probably FUNimation pulling a fast one to try to hide the fact that he's in the dub of the movie, even though you can't hide that info since it's out there for people to see on the web elsewhere.

Personally, I think the extras, as they are, are fine, they're just lacking.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

obiwan23s
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by obiwan23s » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:27 pm

I just order for store pickup at BestBuy.com on release day for each Super BD. If they have this option available in your area, I recommend it. I live 2 miles from Best Buy so it's faster for me to just go get it in the morning on release day.

I was thinking the Androids would get the cover for one of the final volumes, but it will probably be Jiren on Vol 9 and Ultra Instinct Goku on the last one.

Nokra
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nokra » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:52 am

I dont understand putting Caulifla on part 8 at all! Is it just because it's a female? If so that's PRETTY SEXIST :lol: I also dont understand why guhhh...Gohan was on part 7?! He barely does anything throughout the majority of dbs and what he does do is LAME! They should've just put 17 on the cover since hes way better and stronger than Lamehan. He was also the mvp and won the entire tournament so hes way more deserving than Gohan who did nothing. But I've come to learn that funimation is really bad at handling releases in general. Just look at the whole dbz 30th anniversary blu ray set debacle going on RIGHT NOW.

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:24 pm

Nokra wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:52 am I dont understand putting Caulifla on part 8 at all! Is it just because it's a female? If so that's PRETTY SEXIST :lol: I also dont understand why guhhh...Gohan was on part 7?! He barely does anything throughout the majority of dbs and what he does do is LAME! They should've just put 17 on the cover since hes way better and stronger than Lamehan. He was also the mvp and won the entire tournament so hes way more deserving than Gohan who did nothing. But I've come to learn that funimation is really bad at handling releases in general. Just look at the whole dbz 30th anniversary blu ray set debacle going on RIGHT NOW.
Um Gohan was a key character in the tournament recruitment arc(captain of the team)..which part 7 covers...he's also a somewhat popular character despite not being handled the best by the creators. Caulifla is also pretty fitting for the part she is on and is also a female saiyan which is pretty marketable ( I think beserk Kale woulda been a better choice with all the broly hype but oh well). 17 really wouldn't make much sense on part 8. 9 or 10 MAYBE but Jiren and UI Goku are far more popular and marketable. I think you need to relax.

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:05 pm

Nokra wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:52 am I dont understand putting Caulifla on part 8 at all! Is it just because it's a female? If so that's PRETTY SEXIST :lol:
This was beyond dumb. How the hell is it sexist? :wtf: Caulifla is a popular character from the TOP arc which this volume covers. It isn’t some great mystery or conspiracy why she is on there. This is the first cover we’ve had with a female character so far. If anything it’s the complete opposite.

obiwan23s
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by obiwan23s » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:53 pm

Super is a new show, distinct from Dragon Ball Z despite having similar character designs. It's in FUNimation's best interest as a company to generate a "brand" for Super, and just using popular characters on the cover art doesn't necessarily help with that. Each of these Super releases has had a memorable character from the 13 episodes contained in that volume as the cover artwork character. Part 8 contains the episode where Caulifla learns how to turn in to a Super Saiyan, so the cover is appropriate.

At this point in the release schedule I believe they could start featuring TWO characters per cover if they wanted. Like #17 and #18 on Part 9 and Jiren and Goku together on Part 10. But the Part 8 cover with Caulifla is fine in my opinion. It fits with the episodes contained in the set.

Nokra
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nokra » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:57 am

obiwan23s wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:53 pm Super is a new show, distinct from Dragon Ball Z despite having similar character designs. It's in FUNimation's best interest as a company to generate a "brand" for Super, and just using popular characters on the cover art doesn't necessarily help with that. Each of these Super releases has had a memorable character from the 13 episodes contained in that volume as the cover artwork character. Part 8 contains the episode where Caulifla learns how to turn in to a Super Saiyan, so the cover is appropriate.

At this point in the release schedule I believe they could start featuring TWO characters per cover if they wanted. Like #17 and #18 on Part 9 and Jiren and Goku together on Part 10. But the Part 8 cover with Caulifla is fine in my opinion. It fits with the episodes contained in the set.
I don't know what you mean by"generate a brand". Dragonball super is a continuation of dragonball z. The fact that it has dragonball in its name is a brand in itself. Anyway, I dont think any u6 saiyan deserves being on the cover since they all kinda suck even cabba although hes the best one. Caulifa is only on the cover because "female saiyan" not because she is a beloved character like goku or vegeta. It would've been better to just put roshi since people actually like him but i guess it's too late now so who cares.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:40 am

I like Caulifla a lot and think she deserves to be on the cover way ahead of tons of others.

So anyway, yeah? People like different things and that you happen to see a girl isn’t ermergerd sexist. That’s... honestly one of the most bizarre and hilarious things I’ve read here in recent history? Considering your posts history, maybe wanna reevaluate some of these questionable statements before making them.

(Woulda just gone straight to Kafla myself, actually.)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:00 am

Kafla would have made a more fitting cover, for sure. The Caulifla one works pretty well too, though I admit, I'm honestly surprised they didn't go with Android 17 simply because of his part in the finale of the arc. It would make the most sense to use him on the last set as a result, but I'm betting anything that last set is going to get Ultra Instinct Goku, with Set Nine getting Jiren.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

obiwan23s
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by obiwan23s » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:45 pm

Nokra wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:57 am I don't know what you mean by"generate a brand". Dragonball super is a continuation of dragonball z. The fact that it has dragonball in its name is a brand in itself. Anyway, I dont think any u6 saiyan deserves being on the cover since they all kinda suck even cabba although hes the best one. Caulifa is only on the cover because "female saiyan" not because she is a beloved character like goku or vegeta. It would've been better to just put roshi since people actually like him but i guess it's too late now so who cares.
I don't think it goes as deep as FUNimation only putting her on the cover to showcase a female Saiyan. I really think they just come up with a character who has an important episode within the 13 episodes on the set and then roll with them as the cover character. In this set Caulifla becomes Super Saiyan for the first time, so they chose her because of that episode. Nothing more than that. Freeza would have been perfect for this cover if they hadn't used him for Vol. 2 already.

You are right, Super doesn't need much help with brand generation because it's part of the Dragon Ball Z universe but Goku and Vegeta can't be on every cover. What I meant is that's it's better for Super's brand in the long run if new characters or new transformations for classic characters get the cover art. For people who haven't seen Super yet, and are walking thru Wal-Mart and see this cover art, they might be intrigued by a female Super Saiyan. And unfortunately we do know fans like this exist due to the success of the orange bricks and season BD's.