Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sintzu
Banned

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by sintzu » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:36 pm

Michsi wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:30 pmBut I think he specified that this is Toei's doing, and that the same happened with the previous movies.
I know, but with the backlash they're currently getting, this won't help despite it not being their fault.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Chilly

Post by Chilly » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:09 am

sintzu wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:34 pm
DHM211 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:15 pm According to Ajay on Twitter, the Funi release of Broly has a green tint to it :thumbdown:
[/spoiler]
They couldn't have picked a worse time to do this.
Just as I was about to order the darn movie on Amazon... :problem:

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:07 am

DHM211 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:15 pm According to Ajay on Twitter, the Funi release of Broly has a green tint to it :thumbdown
That's a shame. Also it is Broly confirmed to be redubed?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:06 pm

sintzu wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:14 amSay what you want about the Moro arc, at least it's new but according to Geekdom, that's where the new content will end as it will be back to the same old when super returns.
Yeah, I said I give props to Toyotaro for trying to do something different, though, for now, there isn't much difference in the story he's telling. It still better than tournament or retelling, thank goodness. Now, if only he could delve into more and explore whatever that hasn't been explored yet...

I've heard about that. I don't know what to say until something official pops up, but hopefully that supposed next saga does turn out to be a good fanservice at least.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:40 pm

Michsi wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:30 pmBut I think he specified that this is Toei's doing, and that the same happened with the previous movies.
Do they do this to try and discourage reverse importing?
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:46 am

Manga UK said there rip does not have the Green Tint. So is it Funi’s fault or Toei US’s fault who knows.

I suppose I shouldn’t even be that annoyed because I bought the Japanese release as well which hopefully looks good but it’s really annoying how little care is put into Dragon Ball in the US.

* No subbed release of the movie in theaters
* Subs have dub spellings
* Green Tint

Not to mention how horrible they handled the 30th Anniversary release of DBZ but that is for another thread.

Edit: I am also seeing people say that even if you chose to listen to the movie in Japanese you can only hear the dub ending. Can anyone confirm this?

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:51 am

Kuwabara wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:40 pm
Do they do this to try and discourage reverse importing?
No idea, but it seems reversible based on the latest UK update.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:14 am

Kinokima wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:46 am Manga UK said there rip does not have the Green Tint. So is it Funi’s fault or Toei US’s fault who knows.

I suppose I shouldn’t even be that annoyed because I bought the Japanese release as well which hopefully looks good but it’s really annoying how little care is put into Dragon Ball in the US.

* No subbed release of the movie in theaters
* Subs have dub spellings
* Green Tint

Not to mention how horrible they handled the 30th Anniversary release of DBZ but that is for another thread.

Edit: I am also seeing people say that even if you chose to listen to the movie in Japanese you can only hear the dub ending. Can anyone confirm this?
The english version of Blizzard plays on both English and Japanese tracks.
To be fair, this is true for the Manga UK webrip as well.

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:27 pm

How hard is it to edit the audio file and leave the animation alone? Pirates could steal a digital rip from Japan and get better feedback by leaving it alone than what Funi does having staff spend hours making something good worse. At least VIZ is trying to keep it close to the original with manga.....

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:08 pm

I just bought the Blu-ray this morning and it seems the digital code does not work in Canada.
The world is your's.

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:20 pm

So were the early reports about a green tint incorrect? I watched the movie last night and didn’t notice it whatsoever. The audio does sound slightly off tho.

Edit* After seeing AnimeAjay’s twitter comparisons and comparing to mine it does look closer to the green tinted version, which is unfortunate but honestly without a direct comparison isn’t too noticeable to me. It certainly doesn’t stand out as much as boo Kai imho.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:15 pm

I'm crossing my fingers that Madman's release of Broly won't have the green tint, but all they do is import FUNi's releases over here. Us Aussie's getting the green tint seems very likely.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:27 pm

Boy it’s sure going to be weird having two Broly steelbooks on my shelf now, one FUNi one Manga UK. If only you didn’t fuck it up as badly as you did, FUNimation.

I did think about picking up the Japanese release too for the artbook, but it’s too damn expensive (over $105) to buy the same movie a third time and without subtitles.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:45 pm

Just saw Ajay's tweet about this, sounds like it's Toei's fault.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:16 pm

Despite the fact that I'll stick to the superior manga UK webrip for whenever ever I watch this on my computer, I'm really happy to add this release to my collection. It was also the last steelbook within a 250 mile radius of my local bestbuy!

The green tint to this image is 100% on purpose :lol:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:44 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:27 pm Boy it’s sure going to be weird having two Broly steelbooks on my shelf now, one FUNi one Manga UK. If only you didn’t fuck it up as badly as you did, FUNimation.

I did think about picking up the Japanese release too for the artbook, but it’s too damn expensive (over $105) to buy the same movie a third time and without subtitles.
The Japanese limited edition set is a f**king joke. The film made so much money yet Toei only commissioned new art for the box and AmazonJP exclusive frame and decided to fill the rest with existing promo art and tonnes of screenshots.

Jokers.

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:39 pm

I honestly absolutely believe this tint is Toei’s fault one way or another; I did the second I heard it was green

The same thing happened with Kai TFC And their own in-house remasters; it’s not hard to believe whatever mastering they did for Theatrical release could have had the same issue, and that Funimation for whatever reason was only provided the theatrical master

Whenever Funi does mess with colors themselves to my knowledge it’s usually towards Red
Noah wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:07 am Also it is Broly confirmed to be redubed?
No, Vic Mignogna is still Broly

Asmo

Post by Asmo » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:17 am

Forgive me if this has been addressed, but any guesses as to whether the Madman release will be based on Funimation's Region A release, or Manga UK's Region B one? I'm curious to know if it might have the tint, but Madman does have a history of sourcing discs directly from Manga.

Much appreciated.

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:35 am

Asmo wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:17 am Forgive me if this has been addressed, but any guesses as to whether the Madman release will be based on Funimation's Region A release, or Manga UK's Region B one? I'm curious to know if it might have the tint, but Madman does have a history of sourcing discs directly from Manga.

Much appreciated.
Madman typically sources Dragon Ball releases from Funimation as far as I know

I could absolutely be wrong though

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:59 pm

AzuraRacon wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:35 am
Asmo wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:17 am Forgive me if this has been addressed, but any guesses as to whether the Madman release will be based on Funimation's Region A release, or Manga UK's Region B one? I'm curious to know if it might have the tint, but Madman does have a history of sourcing discs directly from Manga.

Much appreciated.
Madman typically sources Dragon Ball releases from Funimation as far as I know

I could absolutely be wrong though
Australia fall under Toei USA's jurisdiction so the green tint should be a legitimate worry for folks over there. Only saving grace is the later release date for Aus, if the tint was intentional for the U.S (to deter reverse importation) then there could be a chance of no tint for Aus. Either way it is a wait and see.

Edit-

Actually, the UK has confirmed no extra's so if the Aus release has the same extra's has the U.S then that means FUNi masters and likely green tint.