"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by HeroR » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:12 pm

Nokra wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:28 pm
Michsi wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:09 pm
Nokra wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:03 pm

I don't understand how people could become angry with Piccolo getting a huge power boost by fusing with another namekian especially since thats how it worked before. Also, huge power boosts are common in dbs so it would be consistent with how everyone else gets stronger like 17. People should be use to it by now.
It's not the same thing. Back when a fusion would put Piccolo ahead of Goku and Vegeta he was only a level or so behind them. Now, he has not one, not two, not three, but five super-saiyan transformations worth of distance to jump over.
People still get a little angry over how little thought there was put into Android17 getting so strong. Yes, random weird power-ups happen in Super, but that's not a good thing.
And 17 went from ss level to ssb level. Piccolo was shown to be able to defeat ss2 gohan so I still don't see what the problem with him fusing and getting a god level power up would be? Whether the power ups in dbs are good or bad is a different argument. I'm saying that Piccolo getting a power up would be consistent with how other characters have gotten buffed to be goku and vegeta's level (17, trunks, gohan, freeza).
17 also took over a decade to get that strong even with endless energy. In comparison, in the same timeframe Piccolo can’t even tickle Goku’s base form.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Nokra
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nokra » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:22 pm

HeroR wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:12 pm

It's not the same thing. Back when a fusion would put Piccolo ahead of Goku and Vegeta he was only a level or so behind them. Now, he has not one, not two, not three, but five super-saiyan transformations worth of distance to jump over.
People still get a little angry over how little thought there was put into Android17 getting so strong. Yes, random weird power-ups happen in Super, but that's not a good thing.
And 17 went from ss level to ssb level. Piccolo was shown to be able to defeat ss2 gohan so I still don't see what the problem with him fusing and getting a god level power up would be? Whether the power ups in dbs are good or bad is a different argument. I'm saying that Piccolo getting a power up would be consistent with how other characters have gotten buffed to be goku and vegeta's level (17, trunks, gohan, freeza).
17 also took over a decade to get that strong even with endless energy. In comparison, in the same timeframe Piccolo can’t even tickle Goku’s base form.
How do you know piccolo cant fight goku base? If he can defeat ss2 gohan I'm pretty he can fight base goku.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:56 pm

Realistically? I can't see how Piccolo fusing with this Namekian would elevate him up to comparable status with Goku and Vegeta. I think he would be fortunate enough just to surpass their first two golden Super Saiyan forms and then rival #17 from the manga once again (the one who was fighting SSJ3 Goku).

You want to make him relevant in combat once again? Either turn him into a technical oriented magic type user or take advantage of the concepts that have been in existence for years now like the Namekian Book of Legends and Kaioken but seem to be discreetly, and awkwardly, brushed under the rug soon after they're brought up.

None of this seems likely to happen, though. For reasons known only to Toriyama, he's chosen to go down the road of having a duet narrative with the occasional guest appearance of familiar faces such as Future Trunks and Majin Buu, both of whom, it should be added, are dimensions weaker than the main Saiyans are. We haven't seen a consistent focus on others outside of Goku and Vegeta training since the Buu arc, even then, the worthwhile training was relegated to the Saiyans. Piccolo hasn't been a contender since the Cell arc. The humans? They're probably looked upon as archaic at this point by some fans.

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:22 am

Been a while since this art detail was brought up, and not sure if anybody ever mentioned it. At the very least, I haven't seen this anywhere on the internet or my social media.

Y'all remember that weird line underneath Jiren's chest. Some people even thought Toyotarou was tracing again (smh).
It's been corrected in the tankobon (picture is from my copy):

Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:10 am

Nokra wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:22 pm

How do you know piccolo cant fight goku base? If he can defeat ss2 gohan I'm pretty he can fight base goku.
Was that ever confirmed in the manga too? The anime relies on spectacle and "Woah" moments a lot more than the manga and at the same time seems to be all over the place when it comes power scaling. Even Android17 didn't seem to be Blue level in the manga and Toyotaro appears to be more inclined to temper these power increases. Point is, why I'd love to believe Piccolo really IS at that level at least, I still retain some skepticism that it's a notion that was supposed to stick. I mean I do accept it a his level for now, but I wouldn't be that surprised if we'll encounter something that contradicts it.

Anyway, a whole lot of speculation regarding a character we don't even know if we'll see this arc or not :lol: :cry:

Liquir
Beyond Newbie

Post by Liquir » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:26 am

Monthly Japanese Ryokutya website leak/opinion preview for upcoming DBS Manga chapter 47:

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:30 am

Liquir wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:26 am Monthly Japanese Ryokutya website leak/opinion preview for upcoming DBS Manga chapter 47:
Both points are very interesting, especially whatever they're doing with Buu. If Vegeta is getting this kind of development then it seems that Toriyama may be more involved than we think. I assume it's safe to say this arc will be animated as well.
Last edited by sintzu on Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:31 am

Rakurai wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:22 am Been a while since this art detail was brought up, and not sure if anybody ever mentioned it. At the very least, I haven't seen this anywhere on the internet or my social media.

Y'all remember that weird line underneath Jiren's chest. Some people even thought Toyotarou was tracing again (smh).
It's been corrected in the tankobon (picture is from my copy):
Hey, that's pretty nice. I'd like to think that most people already knew that that region was always supposed to be coloured in but was just missed, but it's good to get confirmation, at least.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Piccolo_Daima
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Piccolo_Daima » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:09 am

SaiyanTarzan wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:24 pm
Nokra wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:03 pm

I don't understand how people could become angry with Piccolo getting a huge power boost by fusing with another namekian especially since thats how it worked before. Also, huge power boosts are common in dbs so it would be consistent with how everyone else gets stronger like 17. People should be use to it by now.
Yeah see my issue is not with Piccolo getting a power boost but him getting involved this late in the story, what are we? 6 chapters in and there are no signs of him organically getting involved. Piccolo's two major boosts in DBZ happened because he had a personal stake, that is he wanted to go to Namek and fight Freeza, and with the Androids he had to fuse with his own personal nemesis Kami. See before those fusions he was already involved in the story in one form or another, if Piccolo were to be there much earlier then him fusing with the other Nameks wouldn't bother me much like 17 getting stronger by Super, sure it's a big boost but you can understand why a strong dude like him could get much stronger, same with Piccolo but my the issue is more to do with the fact that he wasn't even shown up. Funny thing is that New Namek in this Moro arc has been a missed opportunity to give Piccolo a larger attachment to his people.
This arc is about a villain killing namekians, so Piccolo getting involved to save his planet is the most logical thing.

Now Vegeta and Goku are hurt and can't fight, so is the perfect scenario to bring back Piccolo and be the hero of Namek.

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:10 am

Alruneia wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:31 am Hey, that's pretty nice. I'd like to think that most people already knew that that region was always supposed to be coloured in but was just missed, but it's good to get confirmation, at least.
Yep, the latest tankobon seems to have fixed the art errors in general, like Gohan being missing from the U7 group as they're heading back.

I hope Toyotarou continues to do this moving forward, we all know he isn't perfect and will make mistakes on the art, but the tankobon is an opportunity to fix them. For example, he didn't fix the 17 angle error when Goku kneels down to look at the U4 bug.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:31 pm

Piccolo without doubt would easily beat base Goku. Base Goku isn't strong at all.
Liquir wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:26 am Monthly Japanese Ryokutya website leak/opinion preview for upcoming DBS Manga chapter 47:
These aren't exactly the best spoilers in terms of detail.

I just want to see Buu fight.

Liquir
Beyond Newbie

Post by Liquir » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:20 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:31 pm

They are not really spoilers per se. It's a website in Japan that publishes news about Manga/Anime and Gaming. Every month they publish some content of Vjump 2-3 days before the magazine is released to the public. Since it's a legitimate site, they cannot post actual images of the magazine and the content inside it, such as the full summary of chapter and scans, because the Japanese authority will take down their site and possibly pursuit them as it's against the law. So they bypass this by just simply stating their personal opinion on the chapter that is in the magazine, that way it's not breaking any laws as it's just an opinion that they are stating and not the actual content. That is why the info is extremely vague and more of an opinion than a summary of the chapter.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:34 pm

https://youtu.be/GVGa20JQLo0?t=168

Super Saiyan 2 Gohan from 87 is shit to base form Goku. He couldn't even make Goku go Super Saiyan with a charge attack.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:36 pm

Well, it seems at least that my suspicion of this being a Vegeta-centric arc is coming true. And boy are things really looking up for him. Becoming a god, qualities of a king...

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:42 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:31 pm

Piccolo without doubt would easily beat base Goku. Base Goku isn't strong at all.

https://youtu.be/tM12Mg3LtU0?t=98

We must have different definition of strong.
Kanassa wrote:

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:28 pm

Michsi wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:36 pm Well, it seems at least that my suspicion of this being a Vegeta-centric arc is coming true. And boy are things really looking up for him. Becoming a god, qualities of a king...
Toyotaro gave Vegeta a bigger role in the manga's Black arc so with him being the head writer of this arc he may have decided it's time for Vegeta to get his time in the spotlight. Things have been building up to it since he sacrificed himself against Buu so it was only a matter of time.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:14 pm

Trying not to get too excited about Vegeta spoilers especially since it is just an opinion and opinions can be misleading.

But damn I am excited and keep looking for early page leaks

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:12 am

While I'm interested in Vegeta's checkered relationship with the Namekians, my first reaction to these possible spoilers is that I'm not keen on having this particular arc be dedicated to him. It seems to be focused on an archaic magical oriented villain with a history connecting him to the Kaioshins. If anyone was going to receive some narrational development then I would expect it to be Buu and Shin since they both are tangibly connected to the one who fought Moro originally.

If anything, a possible visit to Sadala might be the most appropriate time for exploring Vegeta's character more thoroughly. These are just my sentiments, though.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:47 am

sintzu wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:28 pm
Michsi wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:36 pm Well, it seems at least that my suspicion of this being a Vegeta-centric arc is coming true. And boy are things really looking up for him. Becoming a god, qualities of a king...
Toyotaro gave Vegeta a bigger role in the manga's Black arc so with him being the head writer of this arc he may have decided it's time for Vegeta to get his time in the spotlight. Things have been building up to it since he sacrificed himself against Buu so it was only a matter of time.

I wasn't aware he had been anywhere else except in the spotlight.

Problem is it's not a secret that Toyotaro's favors Vegeta which makes his treatment of him seem preferential-andfor those who aren't particularly enamored with Vegeta this might start to get annoying. That review makes it seem like Vegeta is turning awfully Mary Sue-ish.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:56 am

Michsi wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:47 amThat review makes it seem like Vegeta is turning awfully Mary Sue-ish.
He's gotten his butt kicked so much in the past so giving him a break isn't a bad idea. He's my favorite anime character so anything he gets is fine in my book.