Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Forte224 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:16 pm

Jon Jon wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:15 pm Has anyone else noticed that the preorder number keeps decreasing? We are back in the 2800s now.
It's a Units Remaining number. Says so above the bar.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:49 pm

Just made a comparison of Gohan falling from the sky of OP1 and most of the HD versions do not look great, aside from the Level Set. Hell, even the SD ones do a better job of preserving the picture to what it's supposed to look like.

30th [HD]

Levels [HD]

TV SP1 [HD]

AB Groupe "Big Green" [SD]

Ultimate Uncut Edition [SD]

These shots aren't 100% consistent but you get the idea.
sangofe wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:58 amTheir current project is probably scripts that encode automatically, so it really only costs them electricity and hard ware. Man power only for selective cropping.
Bingo!

They do this time and time again because it's the cheapest way for FUNimation to produce a "clean" version of Dragon Ball Z. Down below is a comparison screenshot of the Season DVD vs Blu-ray and you can tell there's hardly an improvement but there is, as small as it may be. It's the same thing with the 30th vs the Season Blu-rays.

The Spaniard anime distributor [Selecta Visión] remastered the Dragon Box Z for Spain's market:

They didn't really change much or made much of an improvement but it's always best they keep it minimum than straight up ruin it like FUNimation consistently does with their Dragon Ball Z home releases on Blu-ray and DVD. Well, except the Level Sets but they cancelled them after two volumes so that kinda doesn't count.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:01 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:49 pm Just made a comparison of Gohan falling from the sky of OP1 and most of the HD versions do not look great, aside from the Level Set. Hell, even the SD ones do a better job of preserving the picture to what it's supposed to look like.
30th [HD]

Levels [HD]

TV SP1 [HD]

AB Groupe "Big Green" [SD]

Ultimate Uncut Edition [SD]

These shots aren't 100% consistent but you get the idea.
sangofe wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:58 amTheir current project is probably scripts that encode automatically, so it really only costs them electricity and hard ware. Man power only for selective cropping.
Bingo!

They do this time and time again because it's the cheapest way for FUNimation to produce a "clean" version of Dragon Ball Z. Down below is a comparison screenshot of the Season DVD vs Blu-ray and you can tell there's hardly an improvement but there is, as small as it may be. It's the same thing with the 30th vs the Season Blu-rays.

The Spaniard anime distributor [Selecta Visión] remastered the Dragon Box Z for Spain's market:

They didn't really change much or made much of an improvement but it's always best they keep it minimum than straight up ruin it like FUNimation consistently does with their Dragon Ball Z home releases on Blu-ray and DVD. Well, except the Level Sets but they cancelled them after two volumes so that kinda doesn't count.
The Spanish release looks pretty good, it seems the most of what they did was just slightly change the colors of the Dragon Box masters compared to the Japanese and U.S releases.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Jon Jon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jon Jon » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:23 pm

Forte224 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:16 pm
Jon Jon wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:15 pm Has anyone else noticed that the preorder number keeps decreasing? We are back in the 2800s now.
It's a Units Remaining number. Says so above the bar.
My bad! I guess refreshing it every now and then, I didn't catch that change!

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:25 pm

ANN's Justin Sevakis just weighed in on all this on his Answerman column. Since he's got professional experience in working with anime video, I think his perspective is really insightful.
"Perfect" is the enemy of the good. True for Cell and true for real life.
Don't forget to slow down and enjoy yourself.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:40 pm

MetaMoss wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:25 pm ANN's Justin Sevakis just weighed in on all this on his Answerman column. Since he's got professional experience in working with anime video, I think his perspective is really insightful.
That "professional" didn't say much different than what people on here and on YouTube would, that is, defend FUNimation by claiming they couldn't offer a better HD transfer.

But you know, he's right, oh wait... FUNimation's Dragon Ball Z raws look beautiful and they remastered the first 39 episodes (Level Sets).

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:42 pm

MetaMoss wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:25 pm ANN's Justin Sevakis just weighed in on all this on his Answerman column. Since he's got professional experience in working with anime video, I think his perspective is really insightful.
Yeah I think funi needs to just dial it back a little bit..but the thing is..we have the level sets as proof they can do better, so the idea that this is the best we can get from their film copies is just not true. I think they just don't wanna spend the money to outsource the remaster like they did with the level sets. It would be pretty scummy if they released an HD dragon box a year after this...I would buy it of course but still that seems far fetched.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:04 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:40 pm That "professional" didn't say much different than what people on here and on YouTube would, that is, defend FUNimation by claiming they couldn't offer a better HD transfer.

But you know, he's right, oh wait... FUNimation's Dragon Ball Z raws look beautiful and they remastered the first 39 episodes (Level Sets).
I was thinking more about his explanation of what happens when film gets copied, but I guess that's on me for not saying that.
"Perfect" is the enemy of the good. True for Cell and true for real life.
Don't forget to slow down and enjoy yourself.

SqueakyBoots
Beyond Newbie

Post by SqueakyBoots » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:27 pm

Vegard Aune wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:53 am Do a super-quick, bare-bones release of their raw film scans, cropped no more than what's necessary to avoid the damaged edges and tape marks, with no extras, as a budget release that they could just sell on their website or something. Preferrably with the original title cards kept intact. They could call it the "Classic Edition" or something, and just emphasize that this is a warts-and-all presentation of exactly what Toei initially provided them with.
This is exactly what I want. Too bad they don't seem interested in doing that.
Okay. So here's the thing with this. We have footage of what the raw scans look like in motion right here. https://youtu.be/moAy02J2fd8?t=197 Now I know the conversion process of uploading a video to youtube suppresses the grain but at least to me, what I am seeing here looks more than suitable compared to the alternative. The only noticeable distraction is the tape marks that appear for a frame at the beginning of every shot so if they want to crop it just enough to hide that, then fine.

If they absolutely positively have to use DNR... well a youtube video conversion looks better than whatever it is Funimation's doing so you tell me.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:57 pm

It seems like there's a myth here that YouTube compresses the grain too much or even in its entirety but that's not true.

This is from YouTube:

SupremeSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by SupremeSSJ » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:20 pm

Tylerman29 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:42 pm
Yeah I think funi needs to just dial it back a little bit..but the thing is..we have the level sets as proof they can do better, so the idea that this is the best we can get from their film copies is just not true. I think they just don't wanna spend the money to outsource the remaster like they did with the level sets. It would be pretty scummy if they released an HD dragon box a year after this...I would buy it of course but still that seems far fetched.
Exactly, FunI has shown time and time again that they are not professional at remastering, its automatically done. Its just a BIG money grab! I'm sorry but the people who are buying these are getting cheated, but I understand the people who didn't get a chance to own the dragon boxes or singles we know for a fact that a better remaster could be done off FunI copies.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:31 pm

The cheap remasters they made and priced for less sold well (Orange bricks and Blu-Ryas) while the expensive remasters they made and priced higher didn't sell (Level sets). With that in mind, I understand why they went for the option they did as there's a chance they could've spent a lot on remastering it and selling it for 500+ only for fans to say they're asking for too much and not buy it.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

SupremeSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by SupremeSSJ » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:39 pm

Well all they had to do was ask fans what they wanted and then ask for the money to remaster. I mean we are talking about a once in a life time set(funimation words) right?

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:59 pm

SupremeSSJ wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:39 pm Well all they had to do was ask fans what they wanted and then ask for the money to remaster. I mean we are talking about a once in a life time set(funimation words) right?
You are a 100% right, but like someone else said in this thread they are trying to market towards a weird "hardcore but not THAT hardcore" demographic or simply trying to appeal to BOTH casuals that would buy collectors editions whilst also trying to appeal to the hardcore a little bit with the 4:3 draw..but they are kinda failing at both in terms of what their product offers. All they really needed to do was double down and focus on satisfying the hardcore..seems like they thought it was too risky or simply too small of a demographic (which in this Renaissance of the franchise is probably larger than they think). The dragon boxes sold well and that was back in 09-11...something that premium, and hardcore focused today would sell like hotcakes.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:36 pm

SupremeSSJ wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:39 pm Well all they had to do was ask fans what they wanted and then ask for the money to remaster. I mean we are talking about a once in a life time set(funimation words) right?
No. They asked fans what they wanted and many if not a majority that answered the poll came out in favor of widescreen DB.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

SupremeSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by SupremeSSJ » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:44 pm

ABED wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:36 pm
No. They asked fans what they wanted and many if not a majority that answered the poll came out in favor of widescreen DB.
What poll and this set is marketed towards hardcore fans so they say. Its no excuse here really, in my eyes its a money grab.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:45 pm

ABED wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:36 pm No. They asked fans what they wanted and many if not a majority that answered the poll came out in favor of widescreen DB.
This is not true.

https://twitter.com/lheiskell/status/623695483081351169

I talked with Lance about this back on podcast episode 404.

EDIT: Right at 20 minutes we talk about the "Level" sets performance. At 21:14 we talk about the survey.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:58 pm

Maybe my memory is bad, but I recall seeing numbers as they put it out. Even though I'm likely wrong about whether it was a majority, it still wasn't an insignificant number clamoring for 16:9. Regardless, people voting with their wallets says more than a limited and often non-representative sample done on the net.
Last edited by ABED on Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:59 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:45 pm
ABED wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:36 pm No. They asked fans what they wanted and many if not a majority that answered the poll came out in favor of widescreen DB.
This is not true.

EDIT: Right at 20 minutes we talk about the "Level" sets performance. At 21:14 we talk about the survey.
They hold the survey.....then disregard its results......

I don't get Funimation sometimes
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:04 pm

gokaiblue wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:59 pm
VegettoEX wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:45 pm
This is not true.

They hold the survey.....then disregard its results......

I don't get Funimation sometimes
They didn't disregard it for arbitrary reasons. The season sets sold better and actions speak louder than words.

My issue with this is that it wasn't widescreen that made the difference in the fans' purchasing decisions, it was the episode count, price point, and timing that made the difference.