Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by gokaiblue » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:32 am

Bryesque wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:43 am
SaiyaSith wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:35 am
Bryesque wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:27 am Now, none of us know what Funimation's investigation entailed. It's not my business, frankly - Funimation made a decision they have every right to, and other participants have said they covered their bases, so... I guess we'll all see if that does come out.
They claim to already know what the investigation entailed and talked about 1 out of the 3 stories the other night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJuFJ3cGnUE
Yeah, I'm not clicking that. As I've said before, I'm not giving those people a red cent of monetization money, and nobody else should either.
Curiosity got the better of me, so I clicked. To save you a click, he talked about two stories supposedly from the investigation. One of the stories involved Vic courting a co-worker via text messages that culminated in a consensual kiss. The other story involved Vic, a jelly bean signed by a voice actress (identified in the video as "Monica Rial"), and Vic eating the jelly bean stating "Now I can say I ate Monica Rial." There's a third story that Nick couldn't share, but he claims it's not even close to sexual harassment and it had no connection to Funimation.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

SMKirbyZX
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SMKirbyZX » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:08 pm

So the "Vic Answers Your Questions" extra in the blu ray release of Super Broly has been taken off. In my humble opinion, despite everything that happened, this is pretty disrespectful and petty. He's already been removed from Funimation, why take off the extra? What about the people who would want to see that?

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:09 pm

SMKirbyZX wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:08 pm So the "Vic Answers Your Questions" extra in the blu ray release of Super Broly has been taken off. In my humble opinion, despite everything that happened, this is pretty disrespectful and petty. He's already been removed from Funimation, why take off the extra? What about the people who would want to see that?
Was it ever mentioned to be there in the first place?

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:11 pm

mute_proxy wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:09 pm
SMKirbyZX wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:08 pm So the "Vic Answers Your Questions" extra in the blu ray release of Super Broly has been taken off. In my humble opinion, despite everything that happened, this is pretty disrespectful and petty. He's already been removed from Funimation, why take off the extra? What about the people who would want to see that?
The Amazon description stated it was on there
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

SMKirbyZX
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SMKirbyZX » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:12 pm

mute_proxy wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:09 pm
Kanzenshuu's news talks about it too.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:19 pm

A little concerned that you can say "disrespectful" and "petty" with a presumably straight face regarding the "removal" of this special feature considering the allegations that brought us here.

(From all appearances far later than perhaps originally intended and feeling pressured into an accelerated timeline), FUNimation is cutting all ties with the dude. There was no way they were going to re-cast and re-voice that entire performance between that cutting-ties announcement and the film's home video distribution, so they left that as-is and started scraping away extraneous, non-essential material (i.e., this one extra feature).

That's... like... totally logical? See again: screamy voice dude's performance commentary not really as essential and important and actual real-life repercussions from actions taken and not needing a special defense force.

It also kinda takes me back to one of my main points when I talk about making that leap from "casual fan" to "invested fan": the people who produce the dub didn't make the movie, didn't write the movie, and had no input on the creation of the movie. There's absolutely nothing they can tell you that will enrich your understanding of its production.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

SMKirbyZX
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SMKirbyZX » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:42 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:19 pm A little concerned that you can say "disrespectful" and "petty" with a presumably straight face regarding the "removal" of this special feature considering the allegations that brought us here.

(From all appearances far later than perhaps originally intended and feeling pressured into an accelerated timeline), FUNimation is cutting all ties with the dude. There was no way they were going to re-cast and re-voice that entire performance between that cutting-ties announcement and the film's home video distribution, so they left that as-is and started scraping away extraneous, non-essential material (i.e., this one extra feature).

That's... like... totally logical? See again: screamy voice dude's performance commentary not really as essential and important and actual real-life repercussions from actions taken and not needing a special defense force.

It also kinda takes me back to one of my main points when I talk about making that leap from "casual fan" to "invested fan": the people who produce the dub didn't make the movie, didn't write the movie, and had no input on the creation of the movie. There's absolutely nothing they can tell you that will enrich your understanding of its production.
I said in my post that putting the allegations aside, it's disrespectful and petty to the people who would want to see that. Seeing as how Broly is an incredibly important character with short, but great, actual speaking lines (that aren't screams), I'd like to think that his commentary is incredibly essential. What's the point in removing it if, considering the scenario where it's still there, people can just skip it and go to the next extra? People who don't like Vic don't even have to watch it if it was on there. I understand that people are uncomfortable about Vic, but even if the allegations are 100% true, trying to remove him and his work in the film alone is not the best decision. I think people should separate the art from the artist.

In any case, agree to disagree I suppose.

Bryesque
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bryesque » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:46 pm

Bryesque wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:43 am
SaiyaSith wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:35 am And once again, this as biased as a source of information gets, and shouldn't be presented as necessarily truthful or accurate. If anything, even if they do have actual information, they'd be motivated to misrepresent or cherry-pick from the investigation in order to portray their opponent in a bad light. The only valid source of information is what would come out in court, so watching, believing, and sharing videos like this only helps Mignogna & Co's propaganda campaign.
To each his own. Listening to one side and not the other is biased in my opinion, even if the other side is propaganda.
That doesn't make any sense, though. "Both sides" don't have to be taken as equally legitimate in every situation. If one side is telling you the moon exists, and the other is saying the moon doesn't exist and all claims that it does exist are part of a conspiracy to delegitimize Doug Moon-Denier, nobody has to pretend they're both valid arguments.
gokaiblue wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:32 am Curiosity got the better of me, so I clicked. To save you a click, he talked about two stories supposedly from the investigation. One of the stories involved Vic courting a co-worker via text messages that culminated in a consensual kiss. The other story involved Vic, a jelly bean signed by a voice actress (identified in the video as "Monica Rial"), and Vic eating the jelly bean stating "Now I can say I ate Monica Rial." There's a third story that Nick couldn't share, but he claims it's not even close to sexual harassment and it had no connection to Funimation.
Well, the second example alone could be a reason for dismissal - making sexually-suggestive comments about a co-worker would absolutely be considered harassment, and lots of people have been fired for similar comments.

Again, this seems a lot like cherry-picking. Is YouTube Lawyer claiming this represents the full investigation or not? Is he being vague about that? I believe I heard that Rial commented that this doesn't represent the full investigation and he wasn't fired over the incident described, for what it's worth.

The rest would depend on Funimation's specific policies and the definitions of their employees' roles, I'd figure. And these could all just be supportive behavioural examples and not specific reasons for dismissal, too - without the full context it's impossible to make an educated call. But if you're just looking to rile up angry fans online...
Like it or not, this is common practice in many industries. If the company cuts ties with an employee (or talent, or whatever) under acrimonious circumstances, it's super common for whatever projects they had in the works to be altered, shelved, or cancelled outright. It comes with the territory - if you're cutting ties with someone, that means you're not going to release material that directly associates you with them past that point unless it's absolutely necessary. This kind of thing happens all the time.

SMKirbyZX
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SMKirbyZX » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:57 pm

Bryesque wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:46 pm Like it or not, this is common practice in many industries. If the company cuts ties with an employee (or talent, or whatever) under acrimonious circumstances, it's super common for whatever projects they had in the works to be altered, shelved, or cancelled outright. It comes with the territory - if you're cutting ties with someone, that means you're not going to release material that directly associates you with them past that point unless it's absolutely necessary. This kind of thing happens all the time.
Off the top of your head, do you have any examples of this happening in the Entertainment industry? I'm trying, but I can't really think of any examples. Either way, I don't doubt that this is something the entertainment industry would do, given its nature. I still think it's disingenuous though.

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TVfan721 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:58 pm

It's been a long time since I've checked this thread and I honestly can't go through 80 + pages so I have a few questions.

1. What's the latest on Vic being blacklisted from conventions? I see he was just at a DBZ convention. So is he still being allowed at the occasional event? I'm curious what the turnout was for Vic at this convention.

2. Is it true he's suing for alleged slander? And if so, who is he going after?

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:00 pm

SMKirbyZX wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:57 pm
Bryesque wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:46 pm Like it or not, this is common practice in many industries. If the company cuts ties with an employee (or talent, or whatever) under acrimonious circumstances, it's super common for whatever projects they had in the works to be altered, shelved, or cancelled outright. It comes with the territory - if you're cutting ties with someone, that means you're not going to release material that directly associates you with them past that point unless it's absolutely necessary. This kind of thing happens all the time.
Off the top of your head, do you have any examples of this happening in the Entertainment industry? I'm trying, but I can't really think of any examples. Either way, I don't doubt that this is something the entertainment industry would do, given its nature. I still think it's disingenuous though.
Japanese game developer removed the likeness of a prominant actor in their game because he was arrested for having cocaine.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:34 pm

While I 100% understand and agree with why Vic's moments in the extras where removed (though I also understand the umbridge people have with it's removal as well, especially since his performance is still in place as expected), I do have to disagree with one point -
VegettoEX wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:19 pm It also kinda takes me back to one of my main points when I talk about making that leap from "casual fan" to "invested fan": the people who produce the dub didn't make the movie, didn't write the movie, and had no input on the creation of the movie. There's absolutely nothing they can tell you that will enrich your understanding of its production.
I do agree that the dub voice actors (though in this instance, wouldn't the same apply to the original Japanese voice actors to an extent?) can't tell us anything about the actual creation and production of the movie, but that still doesn't take away from the potential enjoyment factor they can bring in, if one is also a fan of dubs or the process of acting in general. There is value to these types of extras, even if they're not for everyone - though I do wish they could have gotten some kind of Japanese extras on here too, though I wasn't expecting them to either sadly.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:02 pm

Bryesque wrote:Well, the second example alone could be a reason for dismissal - making sexually-suggestive comments about a co-worker would absolutely be considered harassment, and lots of people have been fired for similar comments.
That wasn't why he was fired. I mean, it absolutely happened, but that's not why he was fired.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:13 pm

SMKirbyZX wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:57 pm
After allegations of sexual misconduct, Kevin Spacey was cut from All the Money in the World and recast with Christopher Plummer mid-production. If I remember right, Spacey's scenes were pretty much done and they had to do extensive reshoots.

Full disclosure, I haven't seen the film so I don't know how key that character was to the film, but I definitely remember lots of headlines about it at the time.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:29 pm

You know, I did just have a thought though - if they did indeed record extras with Vic that were then cut out, didn't FUNi unfortunately end up tossing money down the drain (so to speak) on those parts? I know he wouldn't have gotten residuals from it's inclusion, but I'd imagine he would have already been paid for recording to appear in the extras prior to the release. That's somewhat unfortunate on their part, though I'd imagine it's pretty much a drop in the bucket.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:48 pm

I mean, yeah...? But we're talking a drop in the bucket here, especially if they recorded a bunch of them all in one fell swoop in one videography session.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Mooreish
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mooreish » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:42 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:48 pm I mean, yeah...? But we're talking a drop in the bucket here, especially if they recorded a bunch of them all in one fell swoop in one videography session.
Vic is a big drop in the bucket. He’s fucking Broly. People would be interested in the voice actor for Broly. And people were really looking forward to seeing Vic Mignogna handsome angelic beautiful ageless face in the special features.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:51 pm

Mooreish wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:42 pm
VegettoEX wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:48 pm I mean, yeah...? But we're talking a drop in the bucket here, especially if they recorded a bunch of them all in one fell swoop in one videography session.
Vic is a big drop in the bucket. He’s fucking Broly. People would be interested in the voice actor for Broly. And people were really looking forward to seeing Vic Mignogna handsome angelic beautiful ageless face in the special features.
Yup. All that screaming and grunting. Truly voice acting for the ages.
Gyt Kaliba wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:29 pm You know, I did just have a thought though - if they did indeed record extras with Vic that were then cut out, didn't FUNi unfortunately end up tossing money down the drain (so to speak) on those parts? I know he wouldn't have gotten residuals from it's inclusion, but I'd imagine he would have already been paid for recording to appear in the extras prior to the release. That's somewhat unfortunate on their part, though I'd imagine it's pretty much a drop in the bucket.
I imagine the conversation went like this:

Funimation exec1: Hey, bruh. Is it worth potential outrage and possible money loss from people who don't want anything to with that guy who does the Broly thing.

Funimation exec 2: Fuck no!

Funimation exec1: Shit, that was easy.

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:59 pm

Let's take a step back and read the allegations from years ago not the ones that just popped up and yes I do have a hard time believing the new allegations especially when they said they made it up..

But there are counts that go back to the mid 2000s and his actions might be well... hmm, why did he do this? I don't think it was intentional but the dude does need to learn some constraints.

That's my 2c.
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:03 pm

Mooreish wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:42 pmVic is a big drop in the bucket. He’s fucking Broly. People would be interested in the voice actor for Broly. And people were really looking forward to seeing Vic Mignogna handsome angelic beautiful ageless face in the special features.
Vic is just the american voice of a single character that only has only at most 4 hours of material in the whole anime and manga franchise, hardly anyone notable like Nozawa or her peers.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.