Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:47 pm

ssj4 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:00 pm I heard some say kamehacon is a disaster. Why was that?
Literally everyone who I’ve talked to or seen talking about it say it was a great time. Maybe behind the scenes it was a disaster, but for the con itself it sounds like people are just spreading rumors to add fuel to the fire.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:58 pm

Well, no, there's been quite a bit of notes about the problems with entering certain parts of the con that were present in previous years, and Terez had this thread about some of the other problems.

That's of course discounting that they screwed a lot of people over with reinviting Vic at the last minute.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:59 pm

Shaddy wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:58 pm Well, no, there's been quite a bit of notes about the problems with entering certain parts of the con that were present in previous years, and Terez had this thread about some of the other problems.

That's of course discounting that they screwed a lot of people over with reinviting Vic at the last minute.
That’s what I mean with behind the scenes.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:00 pm

Gokuisasuperhero wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:48 pm I neutral in all of this. But let said Hypothetically Toei go to Funimation And let just that tell Funimation either hired him back or where putting the title away from you. You don't there not going to do it? Funimation make to much money on Dragonball. And before you said that far fetch that already know what going on. That force Sabat to change the name on the bus event which he then later cancel anyway. And then Toei had the Japan voice Vegeta pull away fro the con. Toei known what going on. And if it get to point where lawsuit are being hand down I telling you right now Toei is not going wanting any of it. Not to matter I not either sure how the video game contact aare right now for Vic. Since he voice Broly in DBX2. And then voice old Broly in Fighter Z. Funimation does not dub the game. So that going be an issue.
In that hypothetical, then yes, money talks and likely FUNi would cave and hire him back. But that hypothetical is in no way one that would ever exist in real life. I'm sure Toei is aware, if only partially, about what's happening/has happened. Hell, for all I know, FUNimation might even be legally obligated to inform Toei what they've done and why (I'm not 100% sure what licensing contracts may or may not mention about these sorts of situations...I would guess almost nothing though). But that's as far as it goes. If Toei ever one day pulls the license of DB from FUNimation, it's not going to be because they fired the voice of Broly for creating issues. If anything, Toei's comment would likely be 'yeah, don't hire him back, there's enough of a mess left behind as is'.

As far as the lawsuit goes, if one even did come, it would be against FUNimation, not Toei, so Toei wouldn't be impacted in the least. I have no knowledge on what happened with Sabat's Kamehacon panel, though I did hear about Horikawa pulling out, but I highly doubt the former had anything to do with Vic (if it was a simple name change anyway), and I can almost certainly guarantee you Horikawa becoming unable to attend was unrelated too (unless Horikawa himself heard about what was going on and decided he'd rather not be anywhere near the mess surrounding Vic either).

In regards to the games, likely that will create a slight issue, at least in regards to the current games. Xenoverse 2, if it gets anything else from either version of Broly, will use a new actor, and depending on how different the new voice sounds, they may even patch in new recordings from him, replacing Vic's roles in the game. For FighterZ, it's likely simpler - the new Broly will just have the new voice, and the old Broly will retain Vic's recordings, serving as among his last times playing the role.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:13 pm

gokaiblue wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:32 am
Bryesque wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:43 am
SaiyaSith wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:35 am
They claim to already know what the investigation entailed and talked about 1 out of the 3 stories the other night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJuFJ3cGnUE
Yeah, I'm not clicking that. As I've said before, I'm not giving those people a red cent of monetization money, and nobody else should either.
Curiosity got the better of me, so I clicked. To save you a click, he talked about two stories supposedly from the investigation. One of the stories involved Vic courting a co-worker via text messages that culminated in a consensual kiss. The other story involved Vic, a jelly bean signed by a voice actress (identified in the video as "Monica Rial"), and Vic eating the jelly bean stating "Now I can say I ate Monica Rial." There's a third story that Nick couldn't share, but he claims it's not even close to sexual harassment and it had no connection to Funimation.
Regarding the stupid jellybean thing: apparently it clued in Monica on who's providing info to Mr. Blackface Lawyer and she's contacting Sony about it.

We probably won't ever know, but I wonder what the repercussions will be. It's mind-numbing this nonsense has stretched out for three months now.

Bryesque
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bryesque » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:17 pm

I mean, remember the situation with Peter Dinklage in Destiny? Patching in a replacement performance for Broly would be extremely easy and affordable by comparison. And if a big-name actor like Dinklage could be that easily replaced after the game came out, I can't imagine Mignogna's contract would protect him more.

Gokuisasuperhero
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gokuisasuperhero » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:26 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:00 pm
Gokuisasuperhero wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:48 pm I neutral in all of this. But let said Hypothetically Toei go to Funimation And let just that tell Funimation either hired him back or where putting the title away from you. You don't there not going to do it? Funimation make to much money on Dragonball. And before you said that far fetch that already know what going on. That force Sabat to change the name on the bus event which he then later cancel anyway. And then Toei had the Japan voice Vegeta pull away fro the con. Toei known what going on. And if it get to point where lawsuit are being hand down I telling you right now Toei is not going wanting any of it. Not to matter I not either sure how the video game contact aare right now for Vic. Since he voice Broly in DBX2. And then voice old Broly in Fighter Z. Funimation does not dub the game. So that going be an issue.
In that hypothetical, then yes, money talks and likely FUNi would cave and hire him back. But that hypothetical is in no way one that would ever exist in real life. I'm sure Toei is aware, if only partially, about what's happening/has happened. Hell, for all I know, FUNimation might even be legally obligated to inform Toei what they've done and why (I'm not 100% sure what licensing contracts may or may not mention about these sorts of situations...I would guess almost nothing though). But that's as far as it goes. If Toei ever one day pulls the license of DB from FUNimation, it's not going to be because they fired the voice of Broly for creating issues. If anything, Toei's comment would likely be 'yeah, don't hire him back, there's enough of a mess left behind as is'.

As far as the lawsuit goes, if one even did come, it would be against FUNimation, not Toei, so Toei wouldn't be impacted in the least. I have no knowledge on what happened with Sabat's Kamehacon panel, though I did hear about Horikawa pulling out, but I highly doubt the former had anything to do with Vic (if it was a simple name change anyway), and I can almost certainly guarantee you Horikawa becoming unable to attend was unrelated too (unless Horikawa himself heard about what was going on and decided he'd rather not be anywhere near the mess surrounding Vic either).

In regards to the games, likely that will create a slight issue, at least in regards to the current games. Xenoverse 2, if it gets anything else from either version of Broly, will use a new actor, and depending on how different the new voice sounds, they may even patch in new recordings from him, replacing Vic's roles in the game. For FighterZ, it's likely simpler - the new Broly will just have the new voice, and the old Broly will retain Vic's recordings, serving as among his last times playing the role.
Toei is not getting sue but it hurting there brand. And that something I sure Toei does not wanted. And lawsuit even not on them but on Funimation would still hurt there brand because it basically ALL tie into Dragonball. Sabat was basically having people paid $550 a person to go to his dub studio where Dragonball Super is record and dub. And he cancel it you know how much money he would have made? a lot as it was sold out. And he cancel it. From what I heard Toei told Horikawa because that don't wanted the drama the voice actor are doing right now. As for the video game the issue is if that was a contact for him to voice it already Bandai call the shot on the video game not Funimation. And Bandai never fired him Funiamtion did. So Bandai may said that wanted him to voice Broly still and that would have to do it. As that paid for the dub not Funimation for the games. But like I said depend on where the lawsuit goes when it file is really going to determine what happen. Funimation has been sue before it not there 1st time like people think. Bruce Falconer sue then in 2003 and Funimation ultimately settled out court of because from the thing I read that mostly would have lost. Can't for sure but from what I read on case it seen like the case in Bruce favorite to win. If Funimation end up getting sue by Vic I think safe bet at this point. Funimation may end up having settled out court because of everything in social media can be used against Funiamtion. That could settled in getting his role back as Broly but mostly not. But anything is possible at this point.

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:35 pm

Gokuisasuperhero wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:26 pm Sabat was basically having people paid $550 a person to go to his dub studio where Dragonball Super is record and dub. And he cancel it you know how much money he would have made? a lot as it was sold out. And he cancel it. From what I heard Toei told Horikawa because that don't wanted the drama the voice actor are doing right now.
I'd love to know where you're getting these sources from. All sources I've heard said it's because Toei thought Kamehacon was getting too close to infringing copyright.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:36 pm

Gokuisasuperhero Are you mumbling into a voice-to-text converter or something? Your posts are totally incoherent.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:41 pm

Shaddy wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:36 pm Gokuisasuperhero Are you mumbling into a voice-to-text converter or something? Your posts are totally incoherent.
I didn't want to say anything, but, the posts ARE rather hard to make out, so I haven't really read them.

Even something like separating the block of text into paragraphs would be very helpful.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:41 pm

MozillaVulpix wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:35 pm
Gokuisasuperhero wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:26 pm Sabat was basically having people paid $550 a person to go to his dub studio where Dragonball Super is record and dub. And he cancel it you know how much money he would have made? a lot as it was sold out. And he cancel it. From what I heard Toei told Horikawa because that don't wanted the drama the voice actor are doing right now.
I'd love to know where you're getting these sources from. All sources I've heard said it's because Toei thought Kamehacon was getting too close to infringing copyright.
I’ll give you a guess...a certain lawyer on YouTube

They believe everything he says

Gokuisasuperhero
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gokuisasuperhero » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:47 pm

Kinokima wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:41 pm

Toei crack down on this. That got a kickvic banner thing remove which it was screenshot saying Toei remove it. It would not supised me.

Gokuisasuperhero
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gokuisasuperhero » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:48 pm

Shaddy wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:36 pm Gokuisasuperhero Are you mumbling into a voice-to-text converter or something? Your posts are totally incoherent.
Nah I just bad at spelling. voice to text would be better for me used. May go on my phone for next time.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:49 pm

Gokuisasuperhero wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:47 pm

Toei crack down on this. That got a kickvic banner thing remove which it was screenshot saying Toei remove it. It would not supised me.
Can you provide a source for this?
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:53 pm

Of course.

Without Nick, I get a feeling this harassment campaign would have died down quite a bit.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:55 pm

Gokuisasuperhero wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:48 pm Nah I just bad at spelling. voice to text would be better for me used. May go on my phone for next time.
Hmm... here's something that might help. Do you know how to copy and paste, things? I'm thinking if you typed your responses in Microsoft Word, you could let it auto-correct.

That sound good :) ?
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Bryesque
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bryesque » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:04 pm

Gokuisasuperhero wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:26 pm Toei is not getting sue but it hurting there brand.
Rebuttal: no it isn't.

None of this impacts Toei one bit. It doesn't impact the Dragon Ball franchise in any significant way either. Dragon Ball is a worldwide-famous brand, and the overall number of people across the world who know or care who Vic Mignogna is, even in the context of "Dragon Ball fans," is minuscule. He's a voice actor who voiced one extremely minor character from one regional dub among many. He's just not that big a deal in the big picture.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:11 pm

Bryesque wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:04 pm
Gokuisasuperhero wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:26 pm Toei is not getting sue but it hurting there brand.

None of this impacts Toei one bit. It doesn't impact the Dragon Ball franchise in any significant way either. Dragon Ball is a worldwide-famous brand, and the overall number of people across the world who know or care who Vic Mignogna is, even in the context of "Dragon Ball fans," is minuscule. He's a voice actor who voiced one extremely minor character from one regional dub among many. He's just not that big a deal in the big picture.
And even in the US, there are tons of fans who could not care less about the voice actors, beyond wanting the characters to sound the same to them whenever they re-watch it. Those fans are only going to discover the issue way after the fact, when a new actor's first performance as Broly (be that in a game, or Super's return, or wherever it happens first), and will complain about it online, but overall will just keep on buying the show and other products without a care in the world.

It's sometimes hard to remember that for some fans out there, DB is just a show they really like, and while they might talk about it online and follow all of the in-universe stuff as much as they can, stuff like actors, directors, and the like are completely off the radar from what they care to think too much about. So overall, while this might be a bit of a stain on the brand in the US right now, it's hardly a permanent one. And certainly not a deep enough one that Toei's going to give two Dr. Slump poop-sticks about.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Bryesque
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bryesque » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:27 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:11 pm
Bryesque wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:04 pm

And even in the US, there are tons of fans who could not care less about the voice actors, beyond wanting the characters to sound the same to them whenever they re-watch it. Those fans are only going to discover the issue way after the fact, when a new actor's first performance as Broly (be that in a game, or Super's return, or wherever it happens first), and will complain about it online, but overall will just keep on buying the show and other products without a care in the world.
And so long as Funimation finds a replacement who can mutter in a monotone, grunt, and belt out a whiny scream, I doubt most people would even notice the change unless someone pointed it out.

Mooreish
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mooreish » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:06 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:33 pm
kemuri07 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:51 pm
Gyt Kaliba wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:29 pm You know, I did just have a thought though - if they did indeed record extras with Vic that were then cut out, didn't FUNi unfortunately end up tossing money down the drain (so to speak) on those parts? I know he wouldn't have gotten residuals from it's inclusion, but I'd imagine he would have already been paid for recording to appear in the extras prior to the release. That's somewhat unfortunate on their part, though I'd imagine it's pretty much a drop in the bucket.
I imagine the conversation went like this:

Funimation exec1: Hey, bruh. Is it worth potential outrage and possible money loss from people who don't want anything to with that guy who does the Broly thing.

Funimation exec 2: Fuck no!

Funimation exec1: Shit, that was easy.
I'm not saying that it wasn't the easy (or right) decision to make, I just meant that technically they probably ate at least a little bit (and by little I mean extremely inconsequentially tiny) loss on that one. I should have clarified that that was more of an off the cuff thought that came to my mind rather than some sort of point I was trying to make, my bad.

That said though, I would think it definitely adds more weight to their dismissing of him. No matter how much some of his fans might hope, there is no way FUNi is hiring him back for Broly or anything else at this point. The backlash alone would be insane.
Mooreish wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:42 pm Vic is a big drop in the bucket. He’s fucking Broly. People would be interested in the voice actor for Broly. And people were really looking forward to seeing Vic Mignogna handsome angelic beautiful ageless face in the special features.
Just...stop. At this point, especially after making comments like the latter part of your post, absolutely nobody here is taking you seriously anymore. I was one trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, but that's just...I mean, wow. Either you're just trying to stir the pot, and trust me, this pot doesn't need any further stirring at this point, or you're just extremely delusional and desperately, desperately need to seek some help.
Nah, I was just having fun with that one. But still, Vic has a big fan base and a lot of his shows have a big view count. Also i think it’s just people whining about Vic being at kamehacon that are saying its not doing good. I mean that is the popular thing to do nowadays.