The Broly Novelization (Fan translation)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

foxfang4
Beyond Newbie

The Broly Novelization (Fan translation)

Post by foxfang4 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:33 pm

I've been reading on twitter that the novel was released about a month ago in Japan. Allegedly, it covers the supposed 3 hour long original script that Toriyama had initially submitted.

My questions are:
1. Does it really exist, or is this just a rumour?
2. If it does exist, have there been any efforts by fans to translate this novel? Knowing

Ajay

Re: The Broly Novelization (Fan translation)

Post by Ajay » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:44 pm

It exists, and there are two versions: an adult and a kids version, with the differences mainly being the complexity of the language.

While it has a couple of little details (mostly names), it's largely just the existing film dialogue with descriptions of the scenes.

It's not this mythical three-hour script or anything like some may have hoped. SaiyaJedi's translated bits here and there, but there's nothing in it really worth paying much attention to.

It's largely just what it says on the tin: the movie, but in text form.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

foxfang4
Beyond Newbie

Post by foxfang4 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:11 pm

Ajay wrote:It exists, and there are two versions: an adult and a kids version, with the differences mainly being the complexity of the language.

While it has a couple of little details (mostly names), it's largely just the existing film dialogue with descriptions of the scenes.

It's not this mythical three-hour script or anything like some may have hoped. SaiyaJedi's translated bits here and there, but there's nothing in it really worth paying much attention to.

It's largely just what it says on the tin: the movie, but in text form.
That's too bad. Thanks.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:52 pm

For RoF, they released Toriyama's script as well as his character designs. Where are they for Broly?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:13 pm

superfan2024 wrote:For RoF, they released Toriyama's script as well as his character designs. Where are they for Broly?
Since Shintani's design closely followed Toriyama they likely felt no point showing his designs yet.

As for the script well we know it has additional stuff and isn't as basic as the RF one which probably leant to them deciding to release his RF script.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:15 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
superfan2024 wrote:For RoF, they released Toriyama's script as well as his character designs. Where are they for Broly?
Since Shintani's design closely followed Toriyama they likely felt no point showing his designs yet.

As for the script well we know it has additional stuff and isn't as basic as the RF one which probably leant to them deciding to release his RF script.
I think they are going to use the rest of the cut out script in someway so I don’t think they are going to release it until then.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:10 pm

majinwarman wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:

I think they are going to use the rest of the cut out script in someway so I don’t think they are going to release it until then.
Probably why we'll also probably not get the storyboards either for this film with the home video release like ResF.

Ideally in the future a book that has the script, Toriyama's designs (along with Shintani's) and the storyboards would be fantastic!

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:34 pm

So then we know for certain that it doesn't actually have the 3 hour script in it?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:49 pm

PFM18 wrote:So then we know for certain that it doesn't actually have the 3 hour script in it?
Yes, this has already been stated.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:46 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
PFM18 wrote:So then we know for certain that it doesn't actually have the 3 hour script in it?
Yes, this has already been stated.
I asked for clarification/confirmation that this is the case. I am well aware that it has been mentioned. I was hoping somebody could respond with a source officially saying anything new from the script isn't there or something along those lines.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:40 pm

Wait, so there's a rumoured 3-hour script for the Broly movie?

... That's hilarious. The final movie was like 90 minutes... A 3-hour version... How would that even work? :lol:

I'm doubtful such a thing would exist, except maybe as a roughly estimated length of a first-draft or early story treatment. If any material from such a version made it to a novelisation, it wouldn't be all of it, and it would be in with large amounts of original material.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:17 pm

Robo4900 wrote:Wait, so there's a rumoured 3-hour script for the Broly movie?

... That's hilarious. The final movie was like 90 minutes... A 3-hour version... How would that even work? :lol:

I'm doubtful such a thing would exist, except maybe as a roughly estimated length of a first-draft or early story treatment. If any material from such a version made it to a novelisation, it wouldn't be all of it, and it would be in with large amounts of original material.
There has been interviews saying that Toriyama wrote a three hour script for the Broly film but it was cut down for time. This is not rumors but truth. There is a three hour script out there.
Majinwarman

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:10 pm

majinwarman wrote:

There has been interviews saying that Toriyama wrote a three hour script for the Broly film but it was cut down for time. This is not rumors but truth. There is a three hour script out there.
Heh. Well, the final movie's like 90 minutes, I imagine a 3-hour one would be the slowest, most plodding, impossible drivel to get through. Probably a decently engaging read if it was put out as a book, but on screen, a plot that works fine at 90 minutes would be the worst at 3 hours.
Those accounts of a 3-hour early cut of Star Wars are about as unfavourable as you could imagine.

For the fans of the movie, I do hope Toei put out a script book of the 3-hour version -- though given it was Toriyama's writing, and was essentially the very first draft, I'd guess it's more of a detailed story treatment than a full-on script -- perhaps in a Daizenshuu-esque volume, but I imagine the end result would be a little disappointing to read if anyone's expecting much more than a couple of interesting scenes that were understandably cut(To bring the Star Wars comparison back, something like the Biggs scenes), some filler, and a structure/order of events for the story that doesn't work quite as well as the final version, since these are the changes that happen between an over-long first draft and a finished movie.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:48 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
majinwarman wrote:

Heh. Well, the final movie's like 90 minutes, I imagine a 3-hour one would be the slowest, most plodding, impossible drivel to get through. Probably a decently engaging read if it was put out as a book, but on screen, a plot that works fine at 90 minutes would be the worst at 3 hours.
Those accounts of a 3-hour early cut of Star Wars are about as unfavourable as you could imagine.

For the fans of the movie, I do hope Toei put out a script book of the 3-hour version -- though given it was Toriyama's writing, and was essentially the very first draft, I'd guess it's more of a detailed story treatment than a full-on script -- perhaps in a Daizenshuu-esque volume, but I imagine the end result would be a little disappointing to read if anyone's expecting much more than a couple of interesting scenes that were understandably cut(To bring the Star Wars comparison back, something like the Biggs scenes), some filler, and a structure/order of events for the story that doesn't work quite as well as the final version, since these are the changes that happen between an over-long first draft and a finished movie.
Now, you are making sense then just there’s no three hour script!
Majinwarman

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:53 pm

I honestly felt the movie was a bit rushed in terms of character interactions in several cases, one big point being Paragus' death which...you never see Paragus ever again or Broly even comment on it lol.

I could see it being longer.

Hawkcam1996

Post by Hawkcam1996 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:00 am

Robo4900 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:10 pm
majinwarman wrote:

There was definately a lot more cut from the movie than just a couple of interesting scenes, filler, and a ‘structure/order of events for the story that doesn’t work quite as well as the final version’. In fact the final version would’ve worked a lot better with at leas some of those scenes. For example, during the DB Minus portion of the movie, it randomly shows Bardock surrounded by soldiers(can’t really see if they are fellow Saiyans or non-Saiyan Frieza soldiers since they are quite a distance away) with some battle damage, before he tries shooting a ki blast at Frieza’s Death Ball before it blows up Planet Vegeta, consuming Bardock in the process. The fact that he has battle damage means he was rebelling against Frieza, but it didn’t show him doing so. The last time it shows him before this was when he was sending off Kakarot with Gine, with no battle damage. There are other parts of the movie like this, so some important scenes were obviously cut.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:13 pm

Hawkcam1996 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:00 am
Robo4900 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:10 pm
majinwarman wrote: There has been interviews saying that Toriyama wrote a three hour script for the Broly film but it was cut down for time. This is not rumors but truth. There is a three hour script out there.

There was definately a lot more cut from the movie than just a couple of interesting scenes, filler, and a ‘structure/order of events for the story that doesn’t work quite as well as the final version’. In fact the final version would’ve worked a lot better with at leas some of those scenes. For example, during the DB Minus portion of the movie, it randomly shows Bardock surrounded by soldiers(can’t really see if they are fellow Saiyans or non-Saiyan Frieza soldiers since they are quite a distance away) with some battle damage, before he tries shooting a ki blast at Frieza’s Death Ball before it blows up Planet Vegeta, consuming Bardock in the process. The fact that he has battle damage means he was rebelling against Frieza, but it didn’t show him doing so. The last time it shows him before this was when he was sending off Kakarot with Gine, with no battle damage. There are other parts of the movie like this, so some important scenes were obviously cut.
Eh, I think those generally imply the reality well enough. I really don't think there's really enough in the movie to point to anything of consequence being cut.

At best, sure, there might be a scene or two of Bardock in some kind of battle... But it probably wasn't a particularly relevant battle that needed to be there, so putting it back in would just result in it being kind of a filler scene that does very little.

At best, I'd say perhaps some of what he was doing in other scenes was originally in that scene, and was transferred to other scenes to make the movie have a stronger flow and pace.

And that is, of course, if such a scene exists.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:54 pm

Does the novelization describe Broly's skin tone?
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:18 am

The impression I've gotten from reading many of the interviews from staffers on the film is that though their storyboard of the movie ended up being 3 hours long, that doesn't necessarily mean that a lot of the script was cut out. It could just be that they imagined more elaborate versions of the scenes that had been written, but ended up having to cut them down so as not to let the runtime get too long. Nagamine did say his goal was to keep Toriyama's essence as much as possible, after all, so I don't think whatever was not included was necessarily important stuff, but rather scenes that just ended up getting trimmed down from what they had imagined.
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube