Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by sangofe » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:10 am

Forte224 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:58 am
sangofe wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:46 am
Forte224 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:00 am
When a large majority are probably scalpers or collectors who just want a box on their shelf, I can't see it working. There comes a point where we have to accept that we have done all we can. And when I say all we can, I mean it. Sending out mass hashtags "or something like that" may give the illusion of continuing to fight it, but in reality the people that pre-ordered either already know and don't care enough about the issues to cancel, or don't follow this type of news and wouldn't see it anyway.
Look, I'm not saying I have a receipe for not making this happen. But you know... You never change anything in life without trying. Plus several people in this thread have said they cancelled their pre orders.

What purpose does it serve to not try and put attempts of trying down? When the time is up it's time to accept whatever is. Before that : why not try? You never know if you get the love of your life without trying either. So please don't spend energy and time deciding things have already been settled.
I have tried. I sent 2 messages to FUNimation support, several replies to their 30th anniversary Tweet, a comment on the blog post, and several YouTube comments/tweets instructing others how best to send their complaints to FUNimation. I also didn't buy the product. A shallow and meaningless hashtag campaign telling people to cancel their pre-orders will do nothing if our previous campaign detailing the issues didn't.
I'm not sure most people know they can cancel their pre orders. The word going around used to be "you can't cancel your pre order." But that was obviously false. If Ajay and geekdom, and other big channels, underlined that it is possible to cancel, it could have an effect.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:16 am

So go ahead and petition them. Ajay often frequents this forum, he's a moderator. Comment on Geekdom's latest video. What are you doing here?

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:30 pm

I'm gonna plan on doing more comparisons like this. I cant get framecompare to work, so you'll have to drag these into new taps and tapswap for now

Also noticed that it might not be as DNRed (not saying its better than the raw image) than the season sets

jaisonas
Beyond Newbie

Post by jaisonas » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:07 pm

The dnr definitely isnt as bad as the season sets, but still. I'm more pleased with the colours not being overblown to pieces compared to the seasons
I enjoy tinkering with video and audio.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:17 pm

It's just about the same as the Orange Bricks, actually. It just has less gamma blowout and higher resolution.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:35 pm

Shaddy wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:17 pm It's just about the same as the Orange Bricks, actually. It just has less gamma blowout and higher resolution.
That an interesting comparison. Does anyone have the orange bricks that can send some screencaps this way to compare?

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:27 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:03 pm Everyone acting like this is the last Dragon Ball Z set ever being made when there is no indication of then slowing (heck they are still putting Dragon Ball Super out on DVD) and I feel you agree with that to some point as well. I'm pretty sure they'd clearly add this being the final home video release of the show adding on to the fact that this set is limited to create a panic buy-out
It's not that people think this will the the final release of DBZ. Noöne thinks that. That's just not possible. FUNi will will this cow till the day it dies from maltreatment. People just don't want this release to further make FUNi say "People LIKE our mutilation of DBZ. They think it looks better. We know this cuz it sells better.". They already said as much in their blog post. That's PART of why people didn't want this set to get any fan support.

The other reason they loathe this set is becuz of the LIES and TRICKS Funimation told to advertize this set.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:03 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:27 pm
eledoremassis02 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:03 pm Everyone acting like this is the last Dragon Ball Z set ever being made when there is no indication of then slowing (heck they are still putting Dragon Ball Super out on DVD) and I feel you agree with that to some point as well. I'm pretty sure they'd clearly add this being the final home video release of the show adding on to the fact that this set is limited to create a panic buy-out
It's not that people think this will the the final release of DBZ. Noöne thinks that. That's just not possible. FUNi will will this cow till the day it dies from maltreatment. People just don't want this release to further make FUNi say "People LIKE our mutilation of DBZ. They think it looks better. We know this cuz it sells better.". They already said as much in their blog post. That's PART of why people didn't want this set to get any fan support.

The other reason they loathe this set is becuz of the LIES and TRICKS Funimation told to advertize this set.
There have been a few who have been talking about the dwindling physical media market. But I agree with you, it's their cash cow for sure! I think the problem is that the Orange Bricks and the season blurays already cement that ideology.

I do think there are some small gains tho. This set is clearly 4:3 which everyone flipped bricks (rightfully) when they're response to the level set cancelations were more 16x9 releases. And that was so bad FUNi partnered with Kanzenshuu to get our thoughts and we still got those sets. But now getting Dragon Ball Z in 4:3 and now the aspect ratio is a small issue. That's why I have taken the stance now that if you choose not to buy or decide to cancel your order, it's totally fine. The Dragon Boxes exist, people have them and are content., cool! Cherrise those babys. But time and time again FUNimation has not listen to the fanbase on this forum and we keep getting screwed over, so I'd say wait for TOEI (tho even them I'm personally doubtful) or another licensee to release their own remaster and stop supporting FUNimation.

FUNimation lies on about every release they've put out. The Orange Bricks claimed to use the "the original japanese film print" and the set being "The way it was meant to be seen". The level sets even claim to be using "The original film" in their trailer, then shows a shot comparing it to the Dragon Boxes (proving its not the original film) and claiming it's the original US version (which was the Ocean Dub). Sadly the season sets were their most honest set but I think the Orange Bricks were the most dishonest Z release by far and people here and everywhere bought those.

I do support people canceling their pre-orders but personly, I think this set is fine and that we had worse releases in the past. I agree there are problems with it (as with other releases Dragon ball and not) but I am personally tired waiting for the perfect release to come.
Found another cool site! Swipe comparison between the Season Blurays and the 30th set
https://cdn.knightlab.com/libs/juxtapos ... daf8f81e27

30th/raw (raws are zoomed a little make a seamless swap)
Last edited by eledoremassis02 on Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:33 pm

Found another cool site! Swipe comparison between the Season Blurays and the 30th set
When you compare them like that the difference seems much more substantial than just 4:3 season sets..I mean its still smeary but at least they knew to lay off of the DNR a bit. I think a middle ground between the raws and 30th would be perfect...way too much noise on the raws for me.

Could you maybe put up a few more shots?
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:13 pm

Tylerman29 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:33 pm
When you compare them like that the difference seems much more substantial than just 4:3 season sets..I mean its still smeary but at least they knew to lay off of the DNR a bit. I think a middle ground between the raws and 30th would be perfect...way too much noise on the raws for me.

Could you maybe put up a few more shots?
Here you go!

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:34 pm

Literally none of those links work for me (using Firefox).

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:38 pm

KBABZ wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:34 pm Literally none of those links work for me (using Firefox).
Weird I'm using firefox also and they work..
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:39 pm

KBABZ wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:34 pm Literally none of those links work for me (using Firefox).
I just checked on firefox and it worked fine for me? Do you have another browser to try it on?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:48 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:39 pm
I just checked on firefox and it worked fine for me? Do you have another browser to try it on?
Tried in both Chrome and Edge and they didn't work.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:51 pm

KBABZ wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:48 pm
eledoremassis02 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:39 pm
Tried in both Chrome and Edge and they didn't work.
Are you getting an error message like this?
Not found :(
Sorry, but the page you were trying to view does not exist.

It looks like this was the result of either:

a mistyped address
an out-of-date link

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:55 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:51 pm Are you getting an error message like this?

a mistyped address
an out-of-date link
No, literally nothing loads.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:06 pm

KBABZ wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:55 pm
eledoremassis02 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:51 pm Are you getting an error message like this?

a mistyped address
an out-of-date link
Yeah, i'm not getting anything on my end either.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:09 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:06 pm
When I get home i'll try making another one and linking it here. Are you guys on mobile? I just tried on my phone and got nothing

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:13 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:09 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:06 pm
When I get home i'll try making another one and linking it here. Are you guys on mobile? I just tried on my phone and got nothing
Yes i'm on here with my tablet, and the links clearly don't work for me for some reason.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:47 pm

The comparison shots provided above is a relief to me personally. I always liked the colors on the season sets but my only complaint with the 16x9 blurays was that it was cropped, and while...yeah these are zoomed in a bit I still think it looks millleess better than the 16x9 blurays. I've seen some pretty nasty stuff about this release and I don't personally understand it. I don't think nobody is going to be satisfied with ANY! release. I mean, people complain about the dragonboxes lol
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!