Dragon Box vs Orange Bricks - Screenshot Comparison

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Dragon Box vs Orange Bricks - Screenshot Comparison

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:09 pm

The "Orange Bricks" receive a lot of criticism rightly so because for the most part it's a very incompetent release but is it really bad in its entirety? I'd not say so. I compared episode 263 of the Dragon Box vs the Orange Brick and it's pretty decent (minus the cropping). I'm a dude who likes to check stuff to see if it's factually true so here's the comparison.

Comparison #1
Comparison #2
Comparison #3
Comparison #4
Comparison #5
Comparison #6
Extra Comparison - OB merged with Dbox
But not always did they get the cropping done somewhat acceptable:

This is why Dragon Ball Z should have not been cropped and it wasn't intended to be cropped, either way. So, had the Orange Bricks not been cropped unnecessarily to 16:9 AR, it would have been a pretty darn decent release but FUNimation ruined it by "modernizing" it.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragon Box vs Orange Bricks - Screenshot Comparison

Post by Forte224 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:36 am

Why did you squish the OB images? The proportions are way off.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:21 am

Forte224 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:36 am Why did you squish the OB images? The proportions are way off.
I took the screenshots with MPC-HC and though they look off, it shows what was cut off.

K-Lite w/MPC-HC isn't working well these days for me. Maybe I should change back to CCCP.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:59 am

Seasons 7 - 9 of the Orange Bricks look better than both the Dragon Box's and the Season Blu-rays IMO.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:28 am

DHM211 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:59 am Seasons 7 - 9 of the Orange Bricks look better than both the Dragon Box's and the Season Blu-rays IMO.
The OBs certainly have better colors and had it been in 4:3 AR I might've not bought the Dragon Boxes. Also agree that it's better than the Season Blu-rays.

I just can't stand the water paint-style that it has.