It’s time for fans to come together and remaster the series properly.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Re: It’s time for fans to come together and remaster the series properly.

Post by Forte224 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:29 pm

ABED wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:41 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:16 pm
AnimeMaakuo wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:43 pm Ever since my SRTO hit, I’ve entertained the thought of investing $500,000+ of my personally money into remastering the entire series. I would like to hire a company or group of people to work on this under strict supervision. We need to preserve this series in the best possible quality. It’s time for collectors around the world to share their broadcast audio and work with this community to really make something worthy of a remaster. I’m pretty busy these days and I’m not as free as a bird, so if you have any ideas, drop me a PM or comment below.
If I had $500,000 to spend I sure as hell wouldn’t waste it on a tv series.
This and it's not an investment if you don't expect a return.
I'm in agreement on not spending $500,000 on a TV show but the return is the remaster that he wants.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:39 pm

gokaiblue wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:13 pm
JohnnyCashKami wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:01 pm It would be great to include as many dubs and subs as possible so every Dragon Ball fan around the world would finally get his proper release he (or she) has been dreaming for so long

I honestly don't trust TOEI or FUNimation to remaster DB, DBZ or DBGT as it should so I'm glad the Dragon Boxes, AB Video Movies Z7-11, FUNi HD DB M1-4, etc exist.
That would be complicated and probably taxing. Some dubs are either incomplete or not available in a high enough quality. Plus, it might make it very close to a terabyte (probably not but it would make the files rather large).
Dubs shouldn't be exclude because either low quality or incomplete as sometimes that's what's really available and for Dragon Ball fans having that alone means a lot. Space shouldn't be an issue either, high quality releases require high storage.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:55 pm

Kei was able to get a 16mm episode of dragon ball so it'a not possible to do it a baby step at a time (like how starwars fans got original 35mm reels to scan in)

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:35 pm

sintzu wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:26 pm I'm not a star wars fan so I don't know about that. I just assume that Toei won't let another company work on their franchise without their OK.
In that situation, the footage is generally considered to fine outside of a shot or two, and the issue is that it's more what's in it that's the problem (egregious CGI, usually). The goal is to revert changes, and remove a scene or two. It's a vastly different beast than Dragon Ball because for us the issue is the footage itself rather than the content.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:59 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:39 pm
gokaiblue wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:13 pm
JohnnyCashKami wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:01 pm It would be great to include as many dubs and subs as possible so every Dragon Ball fan around the world would finally get his proper release he (or she) has been dreaming for so long

I honestly don't trust TOEI or FUNimation to remaster DB, DBZ or DBGT as it should so I'm glad the Dragon Boxes, AB Video Movies Z7-11, FUNi HD DB M1-4, etc exist.
That would be complicated and probably taxing. Some dubs are either incomplete or not available in a high enough quality. Plus, it might make it very close to a terabyte (probably not but it would make the files rather large).
Dubs shouldn't be exclude because either low quality or incomplete as sometimes that's what's really available and for Dragon Ball fans having that alone means a lot. Space shouldn't be an issue either, high quality releases require high storage.
How would you work with it being incomplete while still syncing it with the Japanese footage? Also, while I get that high quality releases require high storage, it shouldn't require one whole harddrive
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:22 am

gokaiblue wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:59 pm How would you work with it being incomplete while still syncing it with the Japanese footage? Also, while I get that high quality releases require high storage, it shouldn't require one whole harddrive
You have NO IDEA. Keeping something in true lossless archival quality means Terabytes upon Terabytes of data.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:01 am

AnimeMaakuo wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:43 pm Ever since my SRTO hit, I’ve entertained the thought of investing $500,000+ of my personally money into remastering the entire series. I would like to hire a company or group of people to work on this under strict supervision. We need to preserve this series in the best possible quality. It’s time for collectors around the world to share their broadcast audio and work with this community to really make something worthy of a remaster. I’m pretty busy these days and I’m not as free as a bird, so if you have any ideas, drop me a PM or comment below.
Toei are difficult to deal with, I know two groups that already tried so unless some fans here have contacts it'll be hard, but I support this idea, but only if we get film prints. No upscales pleaee...

While I love that idea, it would make everything more expensive as we would have to pay for those dubs too.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:24 am

ABED wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:41 pm This and it's not an investment if you don't expect a return.
If he were to get enough money for distribution rights, it would bring in money. Hopefully enough to at least pay for the licensing, remastering, and publishing, but ideally enuf to make a profit.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:51 am

gokaiblue wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:59 pmHow would you work with it being incomplete while still syncing it with the Japanese footage? Also, while I get that high quality releases require high storage, it shouldn't require one whole harddrive
There are two different type of "incomplete", one in that the series wasn't dubbed in its entirety and two, may have been dubbed completely but missing a few portions. The latter is generally fixed by using the Japanese audio + soft-subs. It's a lot of work but the DB community doesn't mind as all always want the best releases regardless of how much time, patience and money it may cost.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:24 am

How? FUNi owns the license.
Forte224 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:29 pm I'm in agreement on not spending $500,000 on a TV show but the return is the remaster that he wants.
That's the product, it's not a return on investment.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:09 am

If you've got $500,000 to spend then why not just get the Dragon Boxes?

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:53 am

Can't speak for AM but the Dragon Boxes are starting to feel a bit dated due to the pink tint and not being remastered in high def.

I love seeing the promo scans of Dragon Ball Z but at the same time I hate because Dragon Ball Z will never look that good. :(

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:44 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:53 am Can't speak for AM but the Dragon Boxes are starting to feel a bit dated due to the pink tint and not being remastered in high def.
Yup, the Dragon Boxes are good for what they are but they get overrated because there's been no other good, consistent releases of the series, and a show as well known and liked as DBZ should have a decent HD release by now. Its 2019, fans shouldn't have to settle for SD remasters from nearly 20 years ago with 4K slowly becoming the standard.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:47 am

Honestly, I've fantasized about being rich enough to fund my own crazy releases of Dragon Ball, highest priority for me would be getting Kanzenban sized versions of the Full Color release, with nice dust jackets, high quality printing, a brand new translation, the works.

Remastering the anime (and redubbing) would be cool too...

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:21 am

ABED wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:24 am How? FUNi owns the license.
Forte224 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:29 pm I'm in agreement on not spending $500,000 on a TV show but the return is the remaster that he wants.
That's the product, it's not a return on investment.
Yeah I guess I got confused since, to him, it's not a product he plans on selling. His purpose for "investing" IS to get the remaster in "return". But, textbook definitions don't quite fit that reasoning I guess, even if basic logic in this specific situation means that is what he is doing.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:33 am

Hold on, what exactly is the premise here? That we're trying to get the best audio-visual quality releases, or the most complete in terms of content (or both)? Because I'm kind of at a loss for how we would ever be able to do the former without the masters.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

SqueakyBoots
Beyond Newbie

Post by SqueakyBoots » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:55 am

eledoremassis02 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:55 pm Kei was able to get a 16mm episode of dragon ball so it'a not possible to do it a baby step at a time (like how starwars fans got original 35mm reels to scan in)
With Star Wars, you're talking about three movies that were widely distributed on film in hundreds if not thousands of theaters throughout the world.

With Dragon Ball, we have hundreds of episodes on a much more limited number of film copies in existence due to those only being distributed through broadcasting chains or licensors like Funimation. Yeah, a handful of episodes may turn up somewhere but even with multiple people banding together, obtaining the entire series in that format would be an insane undertaking. I'm almost positive we would have better luck convincing Funimation to release their raw film scans somewhere.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:51 am

SqueakyBoots wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:55 am
eledoremassis02 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:55 pm Kei was able to get a 16mm episode of dragon ball so it'a not possible to do it a baby step at a time (like how starwars fans got original 35mm reels to scan in)
With Star Wars, you're talking about three movies that were widely distributed on film in hundreds if not thousands of theaters throughout the world.

With Dragon Ball, we have hundreds of episodes on a much more limited number of film copies in existence due to those only being distributed through broadcasting chains or licensors like Funimation. Yeah, a handful of episodes may turn up somewhere but even with multiple people banding together, obtaining the entire series in that format would be an insane undertaking. I'm almost positive we would have better luck convincing Funimation to release their raw film scans somewhere.
Better than nothing tho, what else is there to do? Is not like we can take FUNi's license form them. I did say in the other forum that the people with their remastering skills here should go to FUNimation and show them what they can do. It'll be like how Universal let fans remaster the A car from Back to the Future. If anything that what the 30th set could be. A remaster for the fans by the fans

SaiyanTarzan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SaiyanTarzan » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:13 pm

I have a question regarding "uncropped" version of DBZ on those websites thar illegally post the episodes, obviously I'm not going to mention a specific website but I'm curious if anyone knows which version of DBZ 4:3 is uploaded on those websites.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:25 pm

ABED wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:24 am How? FUNi owns the license.
They own it in the United States, but maybe not Canada, and definitely not in Greenland, Iceland, or Europe. I don't know where Animemaakuo lives, but if it's outside the U.S. then there's a shot.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."