Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:56 am

FUNimation catered twice, two times in the past to deliver a true 4:3 AR experience and it's good to remember those times.

Dragon Box Z
Level Sets
It's sad that now FUNimation is lying through their teeth to pretend this mediocre release is anywhere near as good as the Dragon Boxes or the Level Sets were. I mean, it's in 4:3 AR but so what, that's the true aspect ratio it's not like they're doing us a favor.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:15 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:56 am FUNimation catered twice, two times in the past to deliver a true 4:3 AR experience and it's good to remember those times.

Dragon Box Z
Level Sets
It's sad that now FUNimation is lying through their teeth to pretend this mediocre release is anywhere near as good as the Dragon Boxes or the Level Sets were. I mean, it's in 4:3 AR but so what, that's the true aspect ratio it's not like they're doing us a favor.
nowadays it's not only funi, just watch movie on theater, "you have watch terminator 3-4-5? then......forget them, terminator 6 will erase their storyline as if they didn't exist" ,

dragon ball was fine finishing after GT and.... dragon ball super make a big mess into it, etc etc , i could give you countless example of how companies, theater industries etc are fooling us nowadays

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:03 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:56 am FUNimation catered twice, two times in the past to deliver a true 4:3 AR experience and it's good to remember those times.

Dragon Box Z
Level Sets
I mean, they could not make this set and we'd be stuck with 16x9 but since you prefer the Orange Bricks to these (which means you still prefer DNRing, more overblown white and higher contrast blackening much of the shading detail and this
and worst of all, that's the set that got us in this mess to begin with) But this whole thing could totally backfire and we could end up with less DNRing in16x9 (but I guess the original aspect ratio was never a big deal now that we got it back) Honestly, outside of the lesser DNRIng, you're basically supporting the Season Blurays and ignoring the small gains we have in the 30th set (Less DNRing, better white balance and contrast
and a 4x3 release that wasn't canceled halfway thru.

Yes, I'd love the DNRing to be better, I don't mind them making the backgrounds look like watercolors (because that's pretty much what they are) but because FUNi's film has so much grain that it sill dances on the image (thus the edges of things bounce back and forth) and it brings front and center the issues with the way the film was scanned. Throughout the series, there is a weird wavy effect on the picture quality (like the same effect that is used to show a hot day) that is really distracting.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:31 am

I only like the later "seasons" of OBs but to watch them? Can't say so. The OBs, Season Blu-rays and the 30th are all crappy releases I can't tolerate to watch. Well, had the OBs not been cropped they'd be alright but they're not.

FUNimation has become greedy for their own good and think that Z isn't worth giving a standard release in 4:3 AR for all its fans out there. They need to stop cropping it to 16:9 AR and also give up on DNR'ing it to death.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:12 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:31 am I only like the later "seasons" of OBs but to watch them? Can't say so. The OBs, Season Blu-rays and the 30th are all crappy releases I can't tolerate to watch. Well, had the OBs not been cropped they'd be alright but they're not.

FUNimation has become greedy for their own good and think that Z isn't worth giving a standard release in 4:3 AR for all its fans out there. They need to stop cropping it to 16:9 AR and also give up on DNR'ing it to death.
Then you don't like the OB, not even the later seasons because you can't watch them. The OB still would of been just as bad as any other release (for the issues pointed out) they darkened the film way too much hiding details that their film copy has and for re-scanning film, they made them look like the singles with better encoding. 4:3 is also useless because you yourself say its no big deal because of all the other issues the black brick set has, so whether its standard or not is beyond the point as it would arguably be the same master.

FUNimation has indeed become greedy, which is why I suggested an all-out boycott of FUNimation, if one is so much against this release and the overall treatment of Z and why I state that this outrage should have happened with the Orange Bricks because that's been the standard since. Yes, it's a "continuation" of the degradation of Z but the Orange bricks set the bar pretty low to honest.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:41 pm

Just realized something.

The orange bricks were released in 2007.

The season Blu-Rays were released in 2013.

Now we have the new black brick set coming this year (2019).

Can we predict in 2025 Funimation are going to screw DBZ yet again?

Obviously we can all wish they learn their lessons from the backlash at this release but I'm not counting on it.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:46 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:03 am you're basically supporting the Season Blurays and ignoring the small gains we have in the 30th set (Less DNRing, better white balance and contrast
you are wrong, color cast is the same, i keep the screenshot from this framecompare and check goku's eye color
http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/EJ1MNNNU

left is the 30th , right the season set, you have the exact same footage just in 4/3 , less DNR, less crop but NO color differrence, only contrast give a differrent color feeling, originally the tint is the same

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:59 pm

I was just searching for "Manga UK" Dragon Ball covers and came across something really awesome. These screenshots, cels or whatever they are show just how good Z could be in HD.
I would love all of Classic Dragon Ball series and movies with this pristine quality!
Last edited by JohnnyCashKami on Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:06 pm

HakkaiBills93 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:46 pm
eledoremassis02 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:03 am you're basically supporting the Season Blurays and ignoring the small gains we have in the 30th set (Less DNRing, better white balance and contrast
you are wrong, color cast is the same, i keep the screenshot from this framecompare and check goku's eye color

left is the 30th , right the season set, you have the exact same footage just in 4/3 , less DNR, less crop but NO color differrence, only contrast give a differrent color feeling, originally the tint is the same
I dont think i've said anything about color? I'll stand corrected, they put the tint in the film back, giving the footage some age again (now is that a plus, Id argue it's debatable) and going back on the "Whites must be white" that the orange bricks and season blurays had.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:29 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:59 pm I was just searching for "Manga UK" Dragon Ball covers and came across something really awesome. These screenshots, cels or whatever they are show just how good Z could be in HD.

I would love all of Classic Dragon Ball series and movies with this pristine quality!
Those are all promotional scans done back when Toei had the original animation cels and background art before they sold them off, and are done at a MUCH higher quality than even what was scanned in to produce the broadcast masters. Such quality isn't possible even if you scanned in the first gen master with the best equipment today with an unlimited budget.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:53 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:06 pm

I dont think i've said anything about color? I'll stand corrected, they put the tint in the film back, giving the footage some age again (now is that a plus, Id argue it's debatable) and going back on the "Whites must be white" that the orange bricks and season blurays had.
you said "better white balance" white balance is related to color cast, here the color cast is the same

no at all, the only things that make you feel that white is white for season sets is only the overcontrast, if you blow contrast, of course it will look like white but...not, in example i show you 30th birthday set against season set so season set have same color cast in the white

about white should be white , answer is "no" it should be a shade of light grey as we are talking about animation shot on film

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:58 pm

HakkaiBills93 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:53 pm

you said "better white balance" white balance is related to color cast, here the color cast is the same

no at all, the only things that make you feel that white is white for season sets is only the overcontrast, if you blow contrast, of course it will look like white but...not, in example i show you 30th birthday set against season set so season set have same color cast in the white

about white should be white , answer is "no" it should be a shade of light grey as we are talking about animation shot on film
I got you. The overall blowout of the image isnt as bad,yet, tint is reddish due to the age of the film. The dragon box had this as well

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:14 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:58 pm

I got you. The overall blowout of the image isnt as bad,yet, tint is reddish due to the age of the film. The dragon box had this as well
dragon box don't have only red color cast it vary from one episode to another , that's why i think funi really fool people , removing a simple red color cast can be done with one amateur software and i think they have far better pro software just by pointing the white point so this kind of easy removal is not so hard to do unlike japanese dbox where hue also have been altered and need better adjustment

Funimation are expert to Hide issues fooling people, they hide tint by overcontrast, grain by DNR, tapes issues by massive crop etc

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:41 pm

HakkaiBills93 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:14 pm

dragon box don't have only red color cast it vary from one episode to another , that's why i think funi really fool people , removing a simple red color cast can be done with one amateur software and i think they have far better pro software just by pointing the white point so this kind of easy removal is not so hard to do unlike japanese dbox where hue also have been altered and need better adjustment

Funimation are expert to Hide issues fooling people, they hide tint by overcontrast, grain by DNR, tapes issues by massive crop etc
I think youre giving toei too much of an excuse. Funi and toei have one thing in common, they're both cheap. If the dragon box did a frame by frame remaster then they could have corrected each episode but they didnt. They didnt even correct the movies and went out of they're way to censor it and dnr it.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:31 am

eledoremassis02 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:41 pm

I think youre giving toei too much of an excuse. Funi and toei have one thing in common, they're both cheap. If the dragon box did a frame by frame remaster then they could have corrected each episode but they didnt. They didnt even correct the movies and went out of they're way to censor it and dnr it.
nowadays , there's no excuse including Toei about color cast, but when they release the dragon box, color correction wasn't something very standard
what i am saying is that Funimation didn't even try to apologize or explain about the green tint for broly movie unlike Toei that explain about censorship, Funi just don't care about anyone

Plague-Memories
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Plague-Memories » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:03 am

Why should we celebrate "small gains" in this release when the Dragon Box already exists and is infinitely superior?

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:16 am

Plague-Memories wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:03 am Why should we celebrate "small gains" in this release when the Dragon Box already exists and is infinitely superior?
The Dragon Box is superior by a lot, but it is about $650 more than this set on average. I'm sure many don't value grain that much.

dagame10k
Not-So-Newbie

Post by dagame10k » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:17 am

FUNimation really loves pushing out DNR'd blurry video as it is cheap and easier. If they really wanted to save more money, they could downscale the video to 480i, stick 4 times the episodes on a single disc, reduce the amount of discs being pressed, quality wouldn't suffer, and the people buying these would be just as happy as they don't care about image quality.
"Nobody's Real............"

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:38 am

HakkaiBills93 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:31 am

nowadays , there's no excuse including Toei about color cast, but when they release the dragon box, color correction wasn't something very standard
what i am saying is that Funimation didn't even try to apologize or explain about the green tint for broly movie unlike Toei that explain about censorship, Funi just don't care about anyone
Boutique labels were color correcting before the Dragon Box, but they've outsourced it and done it in house (Dragon ball and kai 2.0) So even disregarding the Dragon Box they still didn't color correct the movies, literally spending more time on censoring. Just because TEOI gave an explanation doesn't make it right, they didn't fix and just sent out replacement covers that fixed the false advertising. In FUNi did that the forum would be in flames. As far as we know it was TOEI who gave them the green tint. There is just an overall tone with hating FUNimation around here, its cool, there are things about FUNimation I don't like and hence why I went through a period of 5 years not buying anything from them, which is why I suggested other do the same with they're that passionate about this.
Plague-Memories wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:03 am Why should we celebrate "small gains" in this release when the Dragon Box already exists and is infinitely superior?
Because imagine if this exclusive set was just cropped to 16x9 but they made it closer than ever to the Japanese source by having only Japanese title cards. And that's the thing, don't buy it, buy the Dragon Boxes then (or keep em if you have them), they're out there. Sure they cost more and are scalped like but that's what happens when you have a superior product (I'm not being sarcastic).
dagame10k wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:17 am FUNimation really loves pushing out DNR'd blurry video as it is cheap and easier. If they really wanted to save more money, they could downscale the video to 480i, stick 4 times the episodes on a single disc, reduce the amount of discs being pressed, quality wouldn't suffer, and the people buying these would be just as happy as they don't care about image quality.
Honestly, I'd be ok with that. It's the same reason I bought Kai on DVD (before the music switch) outside a select few episodes the videow is just too blury and it didnt make much sense to me to buy them on Bluray.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:47 am

eledoremassis02 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:38 am
HakkaiBills93 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:31 am

First I'll state, I dont see TOIE doing their own remaster of DBZ using what is the best sources available (yes they did the specials and movies, but it's an assumption at this point they were doing the series )
Boutique labels were color correcting before the Dragon Box, but they've outsourced it and done it in house (Dragon ball and kai 2.0) So even disregarding the Dragon Box they still didn't color correct the movies, literally spending more time on censoring. Just because TEOI gave an explanation doesn't make it right, they didn't fix and just sent out replacement covers that fixed the false advertising. In FUNi did that the forum would be in flames. As far as we know it was TOEI who gave them the green tint. There is just an overall tone with hating FUNimation around here, its cool, there are things about FUNimation I don't like and hence why I went through a period of 5 years not buying anything from them, which is why I suggested other do the same with they're that passionate about this.
Because imagine if this exclusive set was just cropped to 16x9 but they made it closer than ever to the Japanese source by having only Japanese title cards. And that's the thing, don't buy it, buy the Dragon Boxes then (or keep em if you have them), they're out there. Sure they cost more and are scalped like but that's what happens when you have a superior product (I'm not being sarcastic).
dagame10k wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:17 am FUNimation really loves pushing out DNR'd blurry video as it is cheap and easier. If they really wanted to save more money, they could downscale the video to 480i, stick 4 times the episodes on a single disc, reduce the amount of discs being pressed, quality wouldn't suffer, and the people buying these would be just as happy as they don't care about image quality.
Honestly, I'd be ok with that. It's the same reason I bought Kai on DVD (before the music switch) outside a select few episodes the videow is just too blury and it didnt make much sense to me to buy them on Bluray.