Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mikezilla2
Beyond Newbie

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by mikezilla2 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:06 pm

the market has changed tho outside of a select few we often don't even get good dvds anymore

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:03 am

eledoremassis02 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:38 am
HakkaiBills93 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:31 am
eledoremassis02 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:41 pm

I think youre giving toei too much of an excuse. Funi and toei have one thing in common, they're both cheap. If the dragon box did a frame by frame remaster then they could have corrected each episode but they didnt. They didnt even correct the movies and went out of they're way to censor it and dnr it.
nowadays , there's no excuse including Toei about color cast, but when they release the dragon box, color correction wasn't something very standard
what i am saying is that Funimation didn't even try to apologize or explain about the green tint for broly movie unlike Toei that explain about censorship, Funi just don't care about anyone
Boutique labels were color correcting before the Dragon Box, but they've outsourced it and done it in house (Dragon ball and kai 2.0) So even disregarding the Dragon Box they still didn't color correct the movies, literally spending more time on censoring. Just because TEOI gave an explanation doesn't make it right, they didn't fix and just sent out replacement covers that fixed the false advertising. In FUNi did that the forum would be in flames. As far as we know it was TOEI who gave them the green tint. There is just an overall tone with hating FUNimation around here, its cool, there are things about FUNimation I don't like and hence why I went through a period of 5 years not buying anything from them, which is why I suggested other do the same with they're that passionate about this.
i said that :"nowadays , there's no excuse including Toei" i never say that Toei had any kind of excuse and worst nowadays
i read from an old kei17 tweet that color correcting wasn't something very regular in japanese industry when dragon box were done, for example around 2000-2003, you even got hokuto no ken premium box with the same issue but when it was re-release on dvd in 2008 as the 25th birthday set, it was mostly color corrected (remaining a green tint but all others color alterations were corrected)
the "green tint" issue as people are pointing like with broly bluray (that didn't suffer any degrade as manga uk one don't have it) that it can be caused by any kind of process or something else into Toei

if you take the director's cut version bluray of the first "lord of the ring" you also have a green tint on it

Toei are not forgiven for any kind of laziness or shit decisions BUT unlike funimation for all big issues pointed by fans they at least justify themselves unlike Funimation attitude of just ignoring people like if they mean nothing.

Why i think toei will do series? it's not because USA did their own HD that japan will use this HD ( USA are not the center of the world) , they did their own HD movies remaster even if Funi did their own

releasing tv specials in HD without the series is nonsense and if you think about it carefully, when they released movies on amazon, you quickly learn about Bluray release unlike now for tv specials only on VOD on gyao FOR FREE!!!! and nothing is said.

remastering into HD thoses two and releasing them freely is idiot and for me it's only a teasing for something bigger coming
remastering more than 500ep is not something you do in one day, who know since when they started and what things remain to do even if i expect DNR work on it and some kind on censorship (like over blown explosion in tvspecial 1 lowering luminosity) i think they are doing it else tv specials remastering were nonsense. tv specials aren't movies but special episodes (and store on the same kind of film reels unlike movies) so what they did for two tv specials is what they'll do for series.

what really surprise me here is that people have more trust for funimations changing decisions for something better even if all evidences show that there's 0% chance it will be done than trusting that after 17 movies and 2 tv specials remastered HD, Toei will do series behind

yes if Toei did it, it will be DNR BUT crop will be nice like the tv specials one better than dvd release, not 100% color corrected (like tv specials) BUT at least it will be hundred times better than the funimation vomit editions.

to came back into discussion, i give more respect to someone that at least give bad justification than another one that didn't even try to do it. cause it only show HOW ARROGANT funimation is

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:22 am

I'd say the fight is over. Nobody's getting anything for DBZ'a 30th anniversary. Funimation could retry this with better quality because they obviously get the message, but would they even try this again?

Plague-Memories
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Plague-Memories » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:10 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:22 am I'd say the fight is over. Nobody's getting anything for DBZ'a 30th anniversary. Funimation could retry this with better quality because they obviously get the message, but would they even try this again?
They won't try to make a quality release because they don't care and they don't have to care. People like us who care about grain or 4x3 or the way they spell the names in subtitles are a tiny, tiny minority overshadowed by people who just want to relive Toonami nostalgia and will buy crap like this anyways.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:20 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:22 am I'd say the fight is over. Nobody's getting anything for DBZ'a 30th anniversary. Funimation could retry this with better quality because they obviously get the message, but would they even try this again?
Pretty much. This release felt like bait from the get-go for the hardcore fans to be overly hyped about, only to get extremely disappointed after seeing it's just the Season Sets in 4:3 AR.

This shot below with Goku and those sunglasses sure feels fitting. "Hah, you folks got trolled!" :lol:

The best releases of Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball GT and Dragon Ball Kai are all in the past, anyway. Just gotta know which one to buy.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:49 pm

Just posting this as an addendum to the butt load of comparisons between releases i did much earlier in this thread, and specifically of the shot where Goku finally destroys Kid Buu with the Genki Dama. At that point when posting those i didn't have the Dragon Box version though now do to include in the comparison between releases so this is more or less an updated version.

Note that i don't have the Season BD version, so if someone here's got a capture of that on hand.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

jaisonas
Beyond Newbie

Post by jaisonas » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:38 am

God i forgot how shit Kai 2.0 looks
I enjoy tinkering with video and audio.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:00 am

Dragon Ball Kai: TFC was a truly rushed job but they tried working with what they had and TOEI wanted it 16:9 AR + DNR'd so that's what happened. Imo, Kai TFC tends to look really good depending which release you purchase and the cropping was actually selective than "selective" (FUNi claimed the Season Blu-rays had proper cropping but that was a lie).

Anyway, Super Saiya Man, I remember seeing a screenshot of the Season Blu-ray set of that and it looked like shit. It was so badly cropped but it was done automated by a machine so not surprising.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:09 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:00 am Dragon Ball Kai: TFC was a truly rushed job but they tried working with what they had and TOEI wanted it 16:9 AR + DNR'd so that's what happened. Imo, Kai TFC tends to look really good depending which release you purchase and the cropping was actually selective than "selective" (FUNi claimed the Season Blu-rays had proper cropping but that was a lie).

Anyway, Super Saiya Man, I remember seeing a screenshot of the Season Blu-ray set of that and it looked like shit. It was so badly cropped but it was done automated by a machine so not surprising.
I'm not surprised at all, because the Season BDs are garbage and quite frankly no better than the Orange Bricks. They are only a very marginal improvement at best which i would have to seriously question on that note because it's more or less the same overall intention in terms of the video and everything. Also true, at least Toei tried a little more with TFC that FUNi did with the OB's/Season BD's in terms of framing the shots to work in the widescreen image though it would have been just as good if they left it in the proper 4:3 to be consistent with Kai 1.0.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:46 am

I assume that's a shot from the US Blu-ray so I'll call it as such for this comparison.

American Blu-ray

Japanese Blu-ray

German Blu-ray

The brightness and softness on that screenshot of Kai TFC that you shared, Super Saiya Man, is really too much. FUNimation really did that? Smh. It was either tweaked by a fansub or FUNimation tried to Season it up.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:13 am

No way is that first screencap unaltered. It isn't green. And I remember specifically hearing that FUNi did not do anything to fix TFC's hideous color cast.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:05 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:00 am Dragon Ball Kai: TFC was a truly rushed job but they tried working with what they had and TOEI wanted it 16:9
Technically it was a broadcast requirement...

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:55 am

KBABZ wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:05 am
JohnnyCashKami wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:00 am Dragon Ball Kai: TFC was a truly rushed job but they tried working with what they had and TOEI wanted it 16:9
Technically it was a broadcast requirement...
TFC was made for the international market but you're right the 16:9 AR thing.

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:48 pm

Since no one has posted it, here is the above shot everyone is posting but from the Funimation Blu-ray season 9 set.
Here is a link to compare all of the screenshots posted here except the Japanese and German Blu-rays for DBZ Kai: The Final Chapters.

http://www.framecompare.com/screenshotc ... n/E901NNNU
Last edited by SpiritBombTriumphant on Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SuperSaiyanPan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanPan » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:56 pm

SpiritBombTriumphant wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:48 pm Since no one has posted it, here is the above shot everyone is posting but from the Funimation Blu-ray season 9 set.
Here is a link to compare all of the screenshots posted here except the Japanese and German Blu-rays for DBZ Kai: The Final Chapters.

All things considered the Blu-Ray doesn't look that bad.

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:57 pm

SuperSaiyanPan wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:56 pm
SpiritBombTriumphant wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:48 pm Since no one has posted it, here is the above shot everyone is posting but from the Funimation Blu-ray season 9 set.

The crop ruins it for me. It cuts off Piccolo, Dende, and Gohan's mouth. Even Toei didn't screw up like that when they cropped the image for Kai.

SuperSaiyanPan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanPan » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:00 pm

SpiritBombTriumphant wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:57 pm

The crop ruins it for me. It cuts off Piccolo, Dende, and Gohan's mouth. Even Toei didn't screw up like that when they cropped the image for Kai.
Oh I know the crop sucks balls, but the overall picture doesn't look too bad in terms of line fading and water color. It could be much worse I guess.

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:05 pm

I think the guy above who posted that screenshot from the American (Funimation) Blu-ray of Kai: TFC has an edited copy by whoever ripped it. I just screenshotted my personal rip and this is what it came out to.

My Kai: TFC Blu-ray rip
SuperSaiyaManZ94's Kai: TFC Blu-ray rip
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Last edited by SpiritBombTriumphant on Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:05 pm

SuperSaiyanPan wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:00 pm
SpiritBombTriumphant wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:57 pm

Oh I know the crop sucks balls, but the overall picture doesn't look too bad in terms of line fading and water color. It could be much worse I guess.
It looks ok picture quality wise but they definitely cut off too much of Piccolo, Gohan and Dende especially more so than even the Orange Bricks.

Also cool touch with using my captures for the comparison there on the link. :D

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:19 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Also cool touch with using my captures for the comparison there on the link. :D
I just wanted an easy way to compare and framecompare is the gold standard for that. Just want everyone to see how things used to be nice until Funimation got fucking retarded.