Nathan M. Johnson Unreleased Music

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Woodlandbuckle
Not-So-Newbie

Nathan M. Johnson Unreleased Music

Post by Woodlandbuckle » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:12 pm

I feel like Nathan Johnson's score generally gets over looked by many in the community. Some people don't even know he exists and think that all of the american music was done by the faulconer team. The others that do know who he is, haven't gotten to hear his music by itself (no SFX or dialogue), since unlike most others composers that have done work on the franchise, his music has never gotten an official release.

So I've devised a plan, I'm gonna try to rip/extract as many tracks by Nathan Johnson as possible. I'll also put every rip of his music in one big playlist which anyone else can contribute to (just reply to this thread with a link to your rip). Also, if anyone is willing to show their music ripping/extraction method then fill free. My method is using adobe audition and setting it to the default vocal removal, I then mess around with the settings a bit (I plan on making a video on how I do this in the future). If you don't have the money to use adobe then I suggest audacity, look up how to make an instrumental and you should be able to do it (not as good as adobe though). Here's another method I was able to find That will create a lossless rip.

Movies and episodes he has composed.
Word's Strongest (Z Movie 2)
Tree of Might (Z Movie 3)
Broly's 2nd Coming (Z Movie 10)
Fusion Reborn (Z Movie 12)
Wrath of the Dragon (Z Movie 13)
DBZ Episodes 1-67

People that have helped so far.
Coycoy88 (ripping music)
Mr.Yosha [My 2nd YT Channel] (ripping music)
munsox4 (ripping music)
Last edited by Woodlandbuckle on Thu May 02, 2019 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
I like Dragon Ball
Twitter
DeviantArt/Renders

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Nathan M. Johnson Unreleased Music

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:33 pm

I’ll say this; I’m against replacement scores on principle as well as Funimation’s desire to rebrand and repurpose DBZ but of all their replacement tracks Nathan Johnson by far did the best job imho. Far better than Faulconer, Menza, and even Wasserman. Trying to watch DBZ uncut with the dub music going from Johnson to Faulconer was actually a step down.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:41 pm

On his old website, he had some of his unreleased score up in great quality which you could download. Perhaps his site was archived?
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:21 am

I hear he's pretty busy these days, but you might be able to throw him an email and get lucky.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:22 pm

Attitudefan wrote:On his old website, he had some of his unreleased score up in great quality which you could download. Perhaps his site was archived?
Not a fan of his music (sounded mostly like background noises to me) but I did try to find his old website.

Nathan Johnson Dragon Ball Z Music
Nathan Johnson DBZ Music
Nathan Johnson DBZ Music Archive
Nathan Johnson Dragon Ball Z Archive MP3
Nathan Johnson Dragon Ball Z Archive WAV
Nathan Johnson Dragon Ball Z Archive

Never did I find anything about his old website using those keywords though that made me curious to check it out, obviously.

Got a link, buddy?
MasenkoHA wrote:I’ll say this; I’m against replacement scores on principle as well as Funimation’s desire to rebrand and repurpose DBZ but of all their replacement tracks Nathan Johnson by far did the best job imho. Far better than Faulconer, Menza, and even Wasserman. Trying to watch DBZ uncut with the dub music going from Johnson to Faulconer was actually a step down.
The Faulconer score consisted of four musicians rather than "Bruce Faulconer" getting all the credit. But I disagree, Wasserman's DBZ replacement music is my favorite as a whole in comparison to Nathan's, Faulconer and Menza (if you can call that music).

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:11 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
Attitudefan wrote:On his old website, he had some of his unreleased score up in great quality which you could download. Perhaps his site was archived?
Not a fan of his music (sounded mostly like background noises to me) but I did try to find his old website.

Nathan Johnson Dragon Ball Z Music
Nathan Johnson DBZ Music
Nathan Johnson DBZ Music Archive
Nathan Johnson Dragon Ball Z Archive MP3
Nathan Johnson Dragon Ball Z Archive WAV
Nathan Johnson Dragon Ball Z Archive

Never did I find anything about his old website using those keywords though that made me curious to check it out, obviously.

Got a link, buddy?
It was nearly a decade ago. I believe it was just his name dot com. It was later converted to his lawyer website when he stopped making music and opened up his office in law. the address was the same but the site was completely different. Some people asked if he could share the music he had up but he mentioned something regarding Funimation having the rights to them. The music he did release just served as a demo reel for his music career.

If you can, I would go ask Nathan Johnson about those tracks he did release. Ron Wasserman ended up releasing things regarding his career so maybe Mr. Johnson would as well?

Honestly, Funimation should try to release their scores. It would do fans such a service.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Coycoy88
Beyond Newbie

Post by Coycoy88 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:06 pm

I managed to do a lossless rip last night from the Blu-ray audio if you guys are interested.
https://mega.nz/#!pc90EKhZ!ZpM0IUrWF5y9 ... bkX6-CmDu4 It's the Nathan Johnson BGM that played when Vegeta first attacked Recoome.
My Youtube account (Coycoy88)

I primarily rip and upload unreleased Faulconer Productions music, as well as some other American dub music.

Woodlandbuckle
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Woodlandbuckle » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:35 pm

Sorry that I haven't been active on this thread often, I've been bussy with school and such.
Coycoy88 wrote:I managed to do a lossless rip last night from the Blu-ray audio if you guys are interested.
https://mega.nz/#!pc90EKhZ!ZpM0IUrWF5y9 ... bkX6-CmDu4 It's the Nathan Johnson BGM that played when Vegeta first attacked Recoome.
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! But I was wondering, am I aloud to upload this onto my own channel or should I wait until you upload it?
Also, could you give us the method you use to rip unreleased American Tracks? I've looked everywhere I can but I can't find anything on how to do it.
I like Dragon Ball
Twitter
DeviantArt/Renders

Woodlandbuckle
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Woodlandbuckle » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:01 pm

Update to this thread, I finally figured out how to easily rip Movie Music while being some what lossless. last night I was able to rip the Dragon Fist Theme. If anyone is curious as to how I ripped it I'll make a tutorial video explaining.
I like Dragon Ball
Twitter
DeviantArt/Renders

Woodlandbuckle
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Woodlandbuckle » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:56 pm

It was nearly a decade ago. I believe it was just his name dot com. It was later converted to his lawyer website when he stopped making music and opened up his office in law. the address was the same but the site was completely different. Some people asked if he could share the music he had up but he mentioned something regarding Funimation having the rights to them. The music he did release just served as a demo reel for his music career.

If you can, I would go ask Nathan Johnson about those tracks he did release. Ron Wasserman ended up releasing things regarding his career so maybe Mr. Johnson would as well?

Honestly, Funimation should try to release their scores. It would do fans such a service.
Regarding asking Nathan if he could ever release the ost on his own I've found this interview where he states
"I’ve had several fans find me by email and ask if they can have stuff. One of the consequences of being a FUNimation employee when I did the episodes, and even the films which were contract to hire, I don’t own the rights to those, so I don’t have any control legally. Even if I could find the files, I would be breaking copyright law to deliver them."
So we'd have to ask someone at funimation if THEY could release the official OST. Maybe I could send an email to whoever whoever is the best guy at funimation to get that done, but I'll have to find out WHO to email first.
I like Dragon Ball
Twitter
DeviantArt/Renders

MarioSonicU

Post by MarioSonicU » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:31 am

Woodlandbuckle wrote:

Regarding asking Nathan if he could ever release the ost on his own I've found this interview where he states
"I’ve had several fans find me by email and ask if they can have stuff. One of the consequences of being a FUNimation employee when I did the episodes, and even the films which were contract to hire, I don’t own the rights to those, so I don’t have any control legally. Even if I could find the files, I would be breaking copyright law to deliver them."
So we'd have to ask someone at funimation if THEY could release the official OST. Maybe I could send an email to whoever whoever is the best guy at funimation to get that done, but I'll have to find out WHO to email first.
Well going to here may be a start if you want to contact the company

https://www.funimation.com/contact-us/

Woodlandbuckle
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Woodlandbuckle » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:29 pm

A little update (sorry if it's annoying that I'm bumping up this thread all the time, I'm just really passionate about recovering lost/unreleased art) I plan on ripping more Nathan Johnson tracks since I've recently found a ripping method, which I'll link here.
MarioSonicU wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:31 amWell going to here may be a start if you want to contact the company

https://www.funimation.com/contact-us/
Thanks, I'll try to send them an email later.
I like Dragon Ball
Twitter
DeviantArt/Renders

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:52 am

Parts can be obtained from FUNi's Old DBZ Movie Singles. It's in AC3 and has really good audio quality.

Woodlandbuckle
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Woodlandbuckle » Wed May 01, 2019 6:18 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:52 am Parts can be obtained from FUNi's Old DBZ Movie Singles. It's in AC3 and has really good audio quality.
The Blu-Rays are in surround sound (A.K.A. AC3) as well, however if the SFXs and music in the singles are formatted differently from the Blu-Rays then I might look into it. If not then I'm not gonna bother buying it.
I like Dragon Ball
Twitter
DeviantArt/Renders