Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by ABED » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:12 pm

True to an extent, but ideas are often vague and ill defined so it's easy to see the potential. What specific potential do you see in Jiren?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

ruler9871
Regular

Post by ruler9871 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:20 pm

ABED wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:12 pm True to an extent, but ideas are often vague and ill defined so it's easy to see the potential. What specific potential do you see in Jiren?
He could have been (for example) DB's equivalent to say, Regime Superman or Toguro from Yu Yu Hakusho considering the characterization they initially give Jiren. He could have also served as a better foil for Goku in a much deeper way than how he was portrayed (same with Toppo via Vegeta). There's plenty of things writers can do with Jiren & the Pride Troopers.
zarmack wrote:The whole "Dragonball is only supposed to be light and funny" mentality that exist in a lot of the fandom is in many ways even dumber than the "edgeload" side of the fandom. You know, the contrarians who think DB should be a Slice-of-Life series, the folks who worship Pre-Raditz Dragonball uncritically, the folks who downplay and often flat-out deny that Dragonball is an action series, the folks who try to push that false argument that none of the serious moments in the series were mean't to be taken seriously, etc.

Dragonball doesn't have a single tone. It has both silly and serious moments, both humor and drama, just like real life. The idea that a work of fiction should be only all-comedy or all-serious is unnatural and frankly, retarded.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:40 pm

ruler9871 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:20 pm
ABED wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:12 pm True to an extent, but ideas are often vague and ill defined so it's easy to see the potential. What specific potential do you see in Jiren?
He could have been (for example) DB's equivalent to say, Regime Superman or Toguro from Yu Yu Hakusho considering the characterization they initially give Jiren. He could have also served as a better foil for Goku in a much deeper way than how he was portrayed (same with Toppo via Vegeta). There's plenty of things writers can do with Jiren & the Pride Troopers.
By Toguro, you mean self loathing and looking for someone strong enough to kill him and prove him wrong?

Goku isn't lacking for foils.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:42 pm

Objectively speaking, even though I fanboyed the fuck out during most of the anime especially during the Tournament of Power, I think the Dragon Ball Super manga is definitely superior. Perhaps it's because Toyotaro works closer with Toriyama than the anime writing staff do, or perhaps it's because I think the Dragon Ball manga in general has always been superior. Either way it just seems more faithful to all of the things I love about the franchise.

I definitely think the Future Trunks arc was handled better even though I still think it would have been much better if...

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed May 01, 2019 12:52 pm

Gligarman wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:42 pm
I definitely think the Future Trunks arc was handled better even though I still think it would have been much better if...
Going a bit further, I think it would've been better if Black actually was Goten, but just kidnapped or taken by Zamasu as a baby and essentially brainwashed. It's more cliche but the body swapping twist was easy to see from a mile away.

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Wed May 01, 2019 1:18 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 12:52 pm
Gligarman wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:42 pm
Going a bit further, I think it would've been better if Black actually was Goten, but just kidnapped or taken by Zamasu as a baby and essentially brainwashed. It's more cliche but the body swapping twist was easy to see from a mile away.
That would have been even better!

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu May 02, 2019 2:24 am

It's funny how the FT arc is retroactively a predictable arc when almost nobody correctly predicted it as it came out.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu May 02, 2019 4:34 pm

PFM18 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 2:24 am It's funny how the FT arc is retroactively a predictable arc when almost nobody correctly predicted it as it came out.
I did. Most of the “surprises” I could tell from a mile away.

ruler9871
Regular

Post by ruler9871 » Thu May 02, 2019 4:43 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 4:34 pm
PFM18 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 2:24 am It's funny how the FT arc is retroactively a predictable arc when almost nobody correctly predicted it as it came out.
The only truly predictably thing in the Black arc was Goku Black being Zamasu (which even the characters themselves correctly assumed after they 1st met him). So I doubt that was mean't to be a surprise.
zarmack wrote:The whole "Dragonball is only supposed to be light and funny" mentality that exist in a lot of the fandom is in many ways even dumber than the "edgeload" side of the fandom. You know, the contrarians who think DB should be a Slice-of-Life series, the folks who worship Pre-Raditz Dragonball uncritically, the folks who downplay and often flat-out deny that Dragonball is an action series, the folks who try to push that false argument that none of the serious moments in the series were mean't to be taken seriously, etc.

Dragonball doesn't have a single tone. It has both silly and serious moments, both humor and drama, just like real life. The idea that a work of fiction should be only all-comedy or all-serious is unnatural and frankly, retarded.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu May 02, 2019 5:04 pm

ruler9871 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 4:43 pm
The only truly predictably thing in the Black arc was Goku Black being Zamasu (which even the characters themselves correctly assumed after they 1st met him). So I doubt that was mean't to be a surprise.
There was a lot for me. Not every single detail but most of the big stuff. I mean before they even got to that in the arc. They showed Zamasu in V Jump before his debut and I knew then.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu May 02, 2019 6:35 pm

I highly doubt it. But even if you did, people are still looking at the predictability in hindsight. It was very much seen as unpredictable when it was first airing. I never saw anybody actually predict much of anything about the arc.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu May 02, 2019 6:43 pm

PFM18 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 6:35 pm
I highly doubt it. But even if you did, people are still looking at the predictability in hindsight. It was very much seen as unpredictable when it was first airing. I never saw anybody actually predict much of anything about the arc.
We’ve been through this before. I’m telling you, I predicted a lot of the things that happen. It may have been unpredictable to you but you’re not everyone. Either way, my feelings about the arc aside it’s not a bad thing that I knew things would happen ahead of time. You seemingly take it as a personal insult that I predicted things from a cartoon.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri May 03, 2019 1:05 am

Dbzfan94 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 6:43 pm

We’ve been through this before. I’m telling you, I predicted a lot of the things that happen. It may have been unpredictable to you but you’re not everyone. Either way, my feelings about the arc aside it’s not a bad thing that I knew things would happen ahead of time. You seemingly take it as a personal insult that I predicted things from a cartoon.
I don't take anything as an insult. I just find it irritating that people like to re-write history regarding things like this and paint hem as predictable. Sure, maybe you predicted it, but it sure as hell was never predictable. If it was, you would have, ya know, seen a bunch of people actually predicting it correctly, but that never happened.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri May 03, 2019 10:29 am

PFM18 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 1:05 am

I don't take anything as an insult. I just find it irritating that people like to re-write history regarding things like this and paint hem as predictable. Sure, maybe you predicted it, but it sure as hell was never predictable. If it was, you would have, ya know, seen a bunch of people actually predicting it correctly, but that never happened.
I said the arc was predictable for ME. Good for you that it wasn’t for you. Jesus, what’s so hard to understand about that?

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sat May 04, 2019 1:00 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:29 am

I said the arc was predictable for ME. Good for you that it wasn’t for you. Jesus, what’s so hard to understand about that?
Dude, did you even read my posts? How is this a reasonable response?

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Sat May 04, 2019 5:08 pm

Unpopular opinion: Dragonball Evolution is honestly the best piece of Dragon Ball media.

.... no I'm kidding. Don't kill me.

Actually though, and this is sort of a random one, but I like Garlic Jr. better than almost all the other non-canon/filler villains with the exception of maybe the original Broly. I don't quite understand why someone like Cooler is so well liked, but Garlic Jr. isn't. Cooler is just a less developed version of Frieza. He brings practically nothing new to the table. He doesn't stand out much.

Garlic Jr. feels like his own thing. Most of the other movie villains are some version of a canon villain (Cooler = Frieza, Janemba = Buu, Turles = Raditz etc...), and out of all of them, Cooler seems like the most similar to his canon counterpart.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sat May 04, 2019 5:31 pm

Melee_Sovereign wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 5:08 pm Unpopular opinion: Dragonball Evolution is honestly the best piece of Dragon Ball media.

.... no I'm kidding. Don't kill me.

Actually though, and this is sort of a random one, but I like Garlic Jr. better than almost all the other non-canon/filler villains with the exception of maybe the original Broly. I don't quite understand why someone like Cooler is so well liked, but Garlic Jr. isn't. Cooler is just a less developed version of Frieza. He brings practically nothing new to the table. He doesn't stand out much.

Garlic Jr. feels like his own thing. Most of the other movie villains are some version of a canon villain (Cooler = Frieza, Janemba = Buu, Turles = Raditz etc...), and out of all of them, Cooler seems like the most similar to his canon counterpart.
Garlic Jr. is great, far more so in DBZ Movie 1 than his filler arc but he's great in both. I assume Coola is more well liked because of his similarities to Freeza (not to mention his admittedly nice final form design) and the necessity of a Super Saiyan to fight him, where as Garlic Jr. could be perceived as weaker than Raditz in Movie 1, and in the filler arc is of course much maligned.

Despite not loving the filler arc, it has become a meme to hate it and I think it gets more backlash than it deserves. It's certainly more interesting than the driver's license filler that everyone always talks about. Anyway, Movie 1 is certainly a classic and Garlic Jr. is one of the many reasons why.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat May 04, 2019 6:56 pm

Agree 100%. Dead Zone is a fantastic movie and I actually really like the Garlic Jr saga. It’s really good filler imo.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat May 04, 2019 6:58 pm

Bardock and Gine is at least as good as Vegeta and Bulma (and/or Goku and Chi-Chi and Gohan and Videl).

Of course, for me, it's indeed the best couple. :)
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat May 04, 2019 6:59 pm

PFM18 wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 1:00 pm
Dbzfan94 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:29 am
Dude, did you even read my posts? How is this a reasonable response?
“It sure as hell was never predictable.”

I clearly did.

I’m not sure if you read mine as a matter of fact. Me predicting the arc would make it predictable, yes? I’m positive others did as well. There’s really not much else to be said here.