What's canon?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Re: What's canon?

Post by Hugo Boss » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:39 am

I feel like it would be interesting to see Herms input about the matter brought up at the Tokyo Skytree event. That’s when he talks about the History of Dragon Ball Timeline:

“This is the same wall display Viz translated, right? In which case it seems the Japanese phrasing for "canon sequel" is 正統続編, if that hadn't been established already. You could also translate it as "proper sequel" or "legitimate sequel". I think translating it as "canon sequel" is reasonable, if only because that's how those concepts are typically phrased in English these days. That is, it's not like Shueisha and/or Toei suddenly started using the word "canon". Rather, they said "this is a legit sequel" (in slightly fancy marketing copy language) and that got translated into English using the word "canon" because that's how English fandom talks. While GT is typically called a 続編, to my knowledge it's never been referred to as a 正統続編 the way Super is here.“

Vegetto EX also brought up the quote from Battle of Gods press release: “One day I'll decide it's worth the mental anguish to get back to that big "CANON" feature on the site...”

Source

Seems like an officially outlined canon.

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:14 am

wolflonnie wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:27 pm DB -> DBZ -> DBS (choose manga or anime) -> Broly -> DBS manga Moro saga thus far.
It's really as simple as this IMO

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat May 04, 2019 9:40 am

Hugo Boss wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:39 am I feel like it would be interesting to see Herms input about the matter brought up at the Tokyo Skytree event. That’s when he talks about the History of Dragon Ball Timeline:

“This is the same wall display Viz translated, right? In which case it seems the Japanese phrasing for "canon sequel" is 正統続編, if that hadn't been established already. You could also translate it as "proper sequel" or "legitimate sequel". I think translating it as "canon sequel" is reasonable, if only because that's how those concepts are typically phrased in English these days. That is, it's not like Shueisha and/or Toei suddenly started using the word "canon". Rather, they said "this is a legit sequel" (in slightly fancy marketing copy language) and that got translated into English using the word "canon" because that's how English fandom talks. While GT is typically called a 続編, to my knowledge it's never been referred to as a 正統続編 the way Super is here.“

Vegetto EX also brought up the quote from Battle of Gods press release: “One day I'll decide it's worth the mental anguish to get back to that big "CANON" feature on the site...”

Source

Seems like an officially outlined canon.
Jake and I literally did exactly this back on podcast episode 457. Enjoy!

(The North America Tour / Tokyo Skytree display is talked about beginning at 21:40, but I would encourage you to listen to the whole thing to understand the context for when we get to that part.)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Sat May 04, 2019 11:47 am

VegettoEX wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 9:40 am Jake and I literally did exactly this back on podcast episode 457. Enjoy!
I missed that?! Thank you for bringing it up. I will listen to it all.