Was DB:Evolution one of reasons Mai got bigger role in Super?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

coola
I Live Here

Was DB:Evolution one of reasons Mai got bigger role in Super?

Post by coola » Sun May 05, 2019 6:17 am

In Dragon Ball Evolution, Mai was one of major antagonists, helping Piccolo in his quest. In Super she returns along with Pilaf gang, she developes crush on Trunks, and in Future Trunks future she is very important character. I can't help but think it is thanks to Evolution Mai role became bigger in Super.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Was DB:Evolution one of reasons Mai got bigger role in Super?

Post by Cipher » Sun May 05, 2019 12:18 pm

Feels more like something born coincidentally out of the Pilaf gang's role in Battle of Gods, and Toriyama just continuing to run with the gags he wrote for her and Trunks in that film.

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Sun May 05, 2019 12:31 pm

coola wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 6:17 am In Dragon Ball Evolution, Mai was one of major antagonists, helping Piccolo in his quest. In Super she returns along with Pilaf gang, she developes crush on Trunks, and in Future Trunks future she is very important character. I can't help but think it is thanks to Evolution Mai role became bigger in Super.
it's something very different to relate it, more it seems a reference to GT with goku returning to make a child because of pilaf.

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Sun May 05, 2019 2:02 pm

Tai Lung wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 12:31 pm
it's something very different to relate it, more it seems a reference to GT with goku returning to make a child because of pilaf.
Well... the old Pilaf gang design (before they reverted to kids) is actually based on their GT designs.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

wolflonnie
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wolflonnie » Tue May 07, 2019 3:23 am

My impression is that he either liked the character and wanted to write more for her, or he wanted to return to a more DB-esque feeling so he stumbled upon Mai.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Tue May 07, 2019 9:07 am

Well DBE was So bad it made him return to writing DB for BoG.

He included the pilaf gang in BoG.

So their later appearances are obviously just follow on from that, but as for why he included them in BoG in the first place, it's very plausible that DBE was what reminded him of them be that consciously or not.

However when working on BoG he mistook SS3 for 2 and embarrassedly went and reread the manga, so by rereading it of course he'd see the whole pilaf gang in the first chapter...

So in a roundabout way... Kinda...?
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Thu May 09, 2019 12:42 am

Rakurai wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 2:02 pm
Tai Lung wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 12:31 pm
Well... the old Pilaf gang design (before they reverted to kids) is actually based on their GT designs.
well technically the movie does this before that in the manga but if that is basically the idea.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Thu May 09, 2019 5:33 pm

No, I think it was the gag in Battle of Gods with Mai and Trunks that enabled her to appear in Super.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.