Should DragonBall only be movies, seasonal or a weekly show?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Nokra
Beyond Newbie

Should DragonBall only be movies, seasonal or a weekly show?

Post by Nokra » Sun May 05, 2019 3:47 pm

I would probably prefer movie. Movie because the production value and quality will be top tier with a condensed story that doesn't have to be complicated by too many characters. Seasonal could also do this but the story might end up being convoluted and the powerscaling might become even worse the longer it goes on. Weekly is a BIG NO for obvious reasons.

sintzu
Banned

Re: Should DragonBall only be movies, seasonal or a weekly show?

Post by sintzu » Sun May 05, 2019 4:09 pm

I think a seasonal anime has the best balance. It has good production value that can be compared to a movie while providing enough room for the story to develop that's allowed in a weekly anime but not in a movie.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Mon May 06, 2019 1:21 am

Make it seasonal and fill the other half with short (few eps) side stories about characters that normally don't get much screentime like Yamcha etc. Would make for an interesting diversion.

SaiyanTarzan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SaiyanTarzan » Mon May 06, 2019 10:36 am

I wouldn't mind 100 episodes for one "season" and a movie to end that season, so basically Super 1.0 ends with the Broly film, then Super 2.0 ends with a film as well so on and so forth.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Mon May 06, 2019 9:15 pm

sintzu wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 4:09 pm I think a seasonal anime has the best balance. It has good production value that can be compared to a movie while providing enough room for the story to develop that's allowed in a weekly anime but not in a movie.
I agree with this. Maybe a dozen episodes or something per year? Or is that too little? Hopefully the production values would at least be comparable to the best of Dragon Ball Super in its latter stages (Goku vs Kale and Caulifla comes to mind).

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon May 06, 2019 9:44 pm

Seasonal would be easiest for me. An anime movie leaks information in a slow trickle, it's only so long (90 minutes, 120 if you're lucky) and you can really only rewatch it so many times until you've gotten everything you could out of it.

While I enjoyed following Super weekly as it was airing, the time it aired was mildly inconvenient for me (dinnertime). I'd rather have it air at least an hour later. It's not so bad during spring/summer, but once daylight savings happens and it's airing at 7pm instead of 8pm it becomes mildly frustrating. 9pm would be ideal for me.

I like the idea of seasonal because it in theory combines the best of both worlds; a length long enough to theorize about the plot/have a good size collection of fun character moments and a stronger production value that while not on par with a movie could still be significantly better than a weekly show.

A two cour season (24 to 26 episodes a season) each go could be good.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue May 07, 2019 2:10 am

Lionel wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 9:15 pmI agree with this. Maybe a dozen episodes or something per year? Or is that too little?
I think the average season is 25 episodes a year.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue May 07, 2019 8:18 am

I think seasonal would be the best. Dragon Ball works better in long form storytelling and 24-25 would suffice for full story arcs if paced well and leaving 3-4 slice-of-life episodes to break up the action (or a slice-of-life series on the side, which I'd welcome).
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Wed May 08, 2019 8:09 am

If Toriyama continues to write outlines for each arc, then DB should definitely just be an annual seasonal 25/26 episode run with a new arc every year.

ruler9871
Regular

Post by ruler9871 » Fri May 10, 2019 12:02 pm

superfan2024 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 8:09 am If Toriyama continues to write outlines for each arc, then DB should definitely just be an annual seasonal 25/26 episode run with a new arc every year.
This is how the Super anime should have been like from the start.
zarmack wrote:The whole "Dragonball is only supposed to be light and funny" mentality that exist in a lot of the fandom is in many ways even dumber than the "edgeload" side of the fandom. You know, the contrarians who think DB should be a Slice-of-Life series, the folks who worship Pre-Raditz Dragonball uncritically, the folks who downplay and often flat-out deny that Dragonball is an action series, the folks who try to push that false argument that none of the serious moments in the series were mean't to be taken seriously, etc.

Dragonball doesn't have a single tone. It has both silly and serious moments, both humor and drama, just like real life. The idea that a work of fiction should be only all-comedy or all-serious is unnatural and frankly, retarded.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri May 10, 2019 5:11 pm

Boku no Hero Academia made me fell in love with the season format. It's really the best way to adapt a long running anime.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Fri May 10, 2019 8:26 pm

Seasonal, if done right, can create a nice middle ground between the production quality of a movie and the storytelling scope of a weekly format. With more and more high-quality shows like MHA and Mob Psycho going that route, I would hope to see Toei start taking lessons. Although considering how long it took them to realise modern, rounded, animation-friendly designs make for a better quality product than ugly plastic dolls, I wouldn't get my hopes too high.

I enjoyed the filler stuff in Super a lot, so I wouldn't rule out doing week to week entirely, but it would need to be planned better than it was. The rumours about pre production are a promising start, it would be cool if they were leaning toward, say, a 52-episode weekly run.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat May 11, 2019 3:14 am

I don’t think 100 minutes movies work to tell a story, and that’s as long as DB movies can get if not even Broly could get 120 minutes even though they had to cut out a lot of stuff.
I think the last 3 movies have shown that this format doesn’t suit Dragon Ball, and only leaves the fans feeling a little unsatisfied and looking for more.

I still think the weekly format is the best for a serie like DB, although we’ve never had a seasonal DB show so I can’t really say which would be better, but I don’t mind the fillers and slower pacing the show has sometimes and I’m used to DB being like that. But a seasonal show would surely be something interesting to have, and it would obviously be better animated, directed and storyboarded than a weekly show.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sat May 11, 2019 10:38 am

Movies should be the primary choice for short story arcs. Champa's tournament, for example, is an arc that in my opinion should have been adapted as a movie.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat May 11, 2019 5:18 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 10:38 am Movies should be the primary choice for short story arcs. Champa's tournament, for example, is an arc that in my opinion should have been adapted as a movie.
So far all of modern DB could be a set of movies. Toriyama's scripts are simply too short for what they're trying to do with a weekly anime which results in everything being stretched out.

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Sat May 11, 2019 5:20 pm

Movies and 26 episode seasons.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat May 11, 2019 5:29 pm

A weekly series and movies would be my preference so long as the production schedules were extremely good. Toriyama scripted movies and a series with free reign for directors to do crazy shit as they please would be a lot of fun.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sun May 12, 2019 12:13 am

TV Series:
- Every year, with good production, we get 26 episodes and they follow the manga or we get a new arc from Toriyama's outlines and Toei manages to go complete that specific arc in those 26 episodes.

Movies:
- We get a new movie every two-three years written by Toriyama.