Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sat May 04, 2019 7:07 pm

Melee_Sovereign wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 5:08 pm Unpopular opinion: Dragonball Evolution is honestly the best piece of Dragon Ball media.

.... no I'm kidding. Don't kill me.

Actually though, and this is sort of a random one, but I like Garlic Jr. better than almost all the other non-canon/filler villains with the exception of maybe the original Broly. I don't quite understand why someone like Cooler is so well liked, but Garlic Jr. isn't. Cooler is just a less developed version of Frieza. He brings practically nothing new to the table. He doesn't stand out much.

Garlic Jr. feels like his own thing. Most of the other movie villains are some version of a canon villain (Cooler = Frieza, Janemba = Buu, Turles = Raditz etc...), and out of all of them, Cooler seems like the most similar to his canon counterpart.
Garlic Jr. is interesting concept. I simply didn't like his design and character overall. As well as his fellas.
Tbh none of movie villains had memorable fellas helping them, they all sucked except for maybe Salza.
So yeah, good concept with execution completely missing my taste.

Speaking about Cooler - i like him because he is just Frieza, except that he is well...cooler.
So while someone could call Cooler a "Frieza 2.0", i prefer to call Frieza a "Cooler beta" :lol:
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Sat May 04, 2019 7:34 pm

I like Dragon Ball Evolution because it's live action, the actress who plays Bulma and Chi-Chi are very attractive and because it focuses on (some) elements of Original Dragon Ball instead of Z.

I like the Uncut Funi Dub of Original Z. Why? Because to me it still got across a lot if not all of the character's personalities, odd dubbing at times aside

I am tired of Vegeta and I hope Broly becomes Goku's new side kick. Too much Vegeta isn't a good thing. But if Piccolo came back then that would be wonderful.

The Japanese dub while wonderful is not infallible. (Looking at Mr. Satan forgetting Dende in BoG as just "smh" moment.)
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Sun May 05, 2019 12:39 am

We Gotta Power is better than Cha-La Head Cha-La. I think it's an unpopular opinion.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sun May 05, 2019 2:36 am

SaintEvolution wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 12:39 am We Gotta Power is better than Cha-La Head Cha-La. I think it's an unpopular opinion.
I am in 100% agreement. We Gotta Power is my favorite intro in all of Dragon Ball, actually.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Sun May 05, 2019 2:59 am

Forte224 wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 2:36 am
SaintEvolution wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 12:39 am We Gotta Power is better than Cha-La Head Cha-La. I think it's an unpopular opinion.
I am in 100% agreement. We Gotta Power is my favorite intro in all of Dragon Ball, actually.
Good to see more people agreeing with that :D

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sun May 05, 2019 3:51 am

SaintEvolution wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 2:59 am
Forte224 wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 2:36 am
Good to see more people agreeing with that :D
Funnily enough, I posted this same thing about a year ago, on page 483 :D
Forte224 wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:40 am I'm not the biggest fan of Cha-La Head Cha-La. I respect it and everything, but it's just not a song that calls out to me I guess. My favorite in the entire series from Dragon Ball all the way to Super is We Gotta Power by a longshot.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sun May 05, 2019 9:03 am

GTx10 wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 7:34 pm I like Dragon Ball Evolution because it's live action, the actress who plays Bulma and Chi-Chi are very attractive and because it focuses on (some) elements of Original Dragon Ball instead of Z.
I wouldn't say i like this movie, but yeah, i appreciate that despite overwhelming popularity of DBZ, they mostly built it around original series.
An i agree that ChiChi was very attractive. Her character in movie was good overall. Nothing like original ChiChi but cool character on her own.
Costumes were fine too. I'd actually like to see anime versions of Goku and Piccolo in their DBE outfits.
I agree with that. I don't really like Cha-La Head Cha-La. But We Gotta Power is awesome.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Sun May 05, 2019 12:19 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 9:03 am
I agree with that. I don't really like Cha-La Head Cha-La. But We Gotta Power is awesome.
It seems it isn't a so unpopular opinion.

TheOverlyMadHatter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOverlyMadHatter » Sun May 05, 2019 12:47 pm

I actually enjoyed the Fake Namek episodes to some extent. I may be biased due to the fact that Saiyan-Namek being my first exposure to the series, but I still find sitting through it to be a pleasant viewing experience.

I like how it brings back those early DB vibes, bringing back the old school hunt, each ball being their own adventure like in the first arc. Yet, this the whole adventure feels very formulaic and artificial, like a cheap copy of those early stories, with hints that something isn't quite right. Of course nowadays, people have read the manga and watched the series several times over, so everyone knows how the story goes, and naturally, it's pretty easy to be jaded about this cheap pitstop knock-off of the real deal. It may only serve as padding in retrospect, but I personally found it gripping on my first viewing. The only thing I can reproach this mini arc is that the anime staff decided to foreshadow Freeza BEFORE we reach what were are supposed to believe is Namek, leaving us wondering where the hell that guy is this whole time.

I wish more would've been done with it, maybe add a little mystery arc to it, but that may be too far of a departure from Dragon Ball.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Sun May 05, 2019 4:06 pm

Even with an amazing acting, I think James Marsters was a miscast for Zamasu's voice. Does anyone agree with that? Or is just another unpopular opinion?
TheOverlyMadHatter wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 12:47 pm I actually enjoyed the Fake Namek episodes to some extent. I may be biased due to the fact that Saiyan-Namek being my first exposure to the series, but I still find sitting through it to be a pleasant viewing experience.

I like how it brings back those early DB vibes, bringing back the old school hunt, each ball being their own adventure like in the first arc. Yet, this the whole adventure feels very formulaic and artificial, like a cheap copy of those early stories, with hints that something isn't quite right. Of course nowadays, people have read the manga and watched the series several times over, so everyone knows how the story goes, and naturally, it's pretty easy to be jaded about this cheap pitstop knock-off of the real deal. It may only serve as padding in retrospect, but I personally found it gripping on my first viewing. The only thing I can reproach this mini arc is that the anime staff decided to foreshadow Freeza BEFORE we reach what were are supposed to believe is Namek, leaving us wondering where the hell that guy is this whole time.

I wish more would've been done with it, maybe add a little mystery arc to it, but that may be too far of a departure from Dragon Ball.
Whoa, that is really unpopular. Never saw anyone that said openly that liked that arc.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun May 05, 2019 4:29 pm

I've come to like it more as well, but it is ultimately worthless and boring timewaster. Still has some cool moments like the lake of acid.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

TheOverlyMadHatter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOverlyMadHatter » Sun May 05, 2019 4:46 pm

ABED wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 4:29 pm I've come to like it more as well, but it is ultimately worthless and boring timewaster. Still has some cool moments like the lake of acid.
Oh yeah, I definitely agree on it being a time waster by the end of it. Let's just say I enjoyed the ride, more so than the landing.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun May 05, 2019 5:08 pm

TheOverlyMadHatter wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 4:46 pm
ABED wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 4:29 pm I've come to like it more as well, but it is ultimately worthless and boring timewaster. Still has some cool moments like the lake of acid.
Oh yeah, I definitely agree on it being a time waster by the end of it. Let's just say I enjoyed the ride, more so than the landing.
I don't quite know what your analogy means. Care to elaborate.

I should be clearer, instead of writing the whole thing as awful, I've come to acknowledge there are enjoyable PARTS. However, it is still overall boring, not because it's filler as some filler is enjoyable, but because it's just not interesting.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

TheOverlyMadHatter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOverlyMadHatter » Sun May 05, 2019 5:29 pm

ABED wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 5:08 pmI don't quite know what your analogy means. Care to elaborate.
I mean that while the ending renders the mini-arc entirely pointless, it doesn't detract that much from my enjoyment of the quest itself.

Kinda like the Future Trunks arc, though a more extreme example, where the highs are much higher and the lows are much lower.

I don't necessarily look forward to it with high anticipation when viewing the series, but I definitely don't dread it by any stretch.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun May 05, 2019 5:35 pm

TheOverlyMadHatter wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 5:29 pm
ABED wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 5:08 pmI don't quite know what your analogy means. Care to elaborate.
I mean that while the ending renders the mini-arc entirely pointless, it doesn't detract that much from my enjoyment of the quest itself.

Kinda like the Future Trunks arc, though a more extreme example, where the highs are much higher and the lows are much lower.

I don't necessarily look forward to it with high anticipation when viewing the series, but I definitely don't dread it by any stretch.
The ending doesn't help, but that's not why the arc is terrible. It's like Man of Steel, some good even great aspects, but overall the film is awful.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon May 06, 2019 10:20 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:Me predicting the arc would make it predictable, yes?
No, it wouldn't. If a particular person predicts it, then it does not make it predictable.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon May 06, 2019 10:36 pm

PFM18 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 10:20 pm
No, it wouldn't. If a particular person predicts it, then it does not make it predictable.
Again, predictable for M E. Please read.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon May 06, 2019 10:47 pm

Wait what? I was on your side since I thought that other person didnt really predict it, but if one person indeed predicted it, it WAS predictable. At least say "You need more than one person calling it" because you seem to be in denial otherwise.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue May 07, 2019 1:05 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 10:47 pm
Wait what? I was on your side since I thought that other person didnt really predict it, but if one person indeed predicted it, it WAS predictable. At least say "You need more than one person calling it" because you seem to be in denial otherwise.
If it is generally very hard to predict, a single person predicting it does not make it predictable. It is in the same way that, if a student scores a perfect score on an exam, it does not make the exam an easy exam. It is akin to that concept here.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue May 07, 2019 9:26 am

PFM18 wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 1:05 am
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 10:47 pm

If it is generally very hard to predict, a single person predicting it does not make it predictable. It is in the same way that, if a student scores a perfect score on an exam, it does not make the exam an easy exam. It is akin to that concept here.
Which again goes back to what I was saying the whole time. If they got a 100 on the test, it was easy for THEM. A person saying “wow that was easy!” Doesn’t mean “this is easy for everyone who will take this test!” You really seem to be in denial about this. It’s not that big of a deal.