Characters you like but everyone else hates

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Characters you like but everyone else hates

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue May 07, 2019 7:18 pm

Name some of them.

Personally I think Caulifla isn't that bad.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

ruler9871
Regular

Re: Characters you like but everyone else hates

Post by ruler9871 » Tue May 07, 2019 7:29 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 7:18 pm Name some of them.

Personally I think Caulifla isn't that bad.
She and Kale actually have a pretty big fanbase so I don't think they count.
zarmack wrote:The whole "Dragonball is only supposed to be light and funny" mentality that exist in a lot of the fandom is in many ways even dumber than the "edgeload" side of the fandom. You know, the contrarians who think DB should be a Slice-of-Life series, the folks who worship Pre-Raditz Dragonball uncritically, the folks who downplay and often flat-out deny that Dragonball is an action series, the folks who try to push that false argument that none of the serious moments in the series were mean't to be taken seriously, etc.

Dragonball doesn't have a single tone. It has both silly and serious moments, both humor and drama, just like real life. The idea that a work of fiction should be only all-comedy or all-serious is unnatural and frankly, retarded.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue May 07, 2019 7:37 pm

While she has some fans, GT Pan is maligned by much of the fandom. I get why, but she never bothered me. I also like Giru, but I don't know how he's viewed by fans.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue May 07, 2019 7:57 pm

ABED wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 7:37 pm While she has some fans, GT Pan is maligned by much of the fandom. I get why, but she never bothered me. I also like Giru, but I don't know how he's viewed by fans.
Someone must have divided by zero, because I think we found something we AGREE on!

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue May 07, 2019 8:44 pm

Fat Buu, I guess.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue May 07, 2019 9:23 pm

ABED wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 7:37 pm While she has some fans, GT Pan is maligned by much of the fandom. I get why, but she never bothered me. I also like Giru, but I don't know how he's viewed by fans.
Count me as another fan of Pan as well. All the reasons I see people often list for hating her tend to be accusations that you could basically level at every female Dragon Ball character (and probably arguably almost every Toriyama-created female character period, sans Arale), so I've never understood the vitriol she raises in a lot of fans.

Beyond that, I'm not really sure he's hated more so than a lot of people are indifferent to him, but I also consider myself a fan of Oob. A shame he's not ever been utilized more properly yet.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Tue May 07, 2019 9:45 pm

My first thought is that Zamasu, not Goku Black, has more of a mixed reception depending on who you asked. I would say him, more specifically present timeline Zamasu before he went off the deep end and was more of a sceptic who questioned the state of ningen and Kaioshin's fundamental role in all of it.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue May 07, 2019 9:47 pm

Goten and GT Pan

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Tue May 07, 2019 10:41 pm

I never really got the hate for Uub, I think he's cute and the idea of Pure Buu being reincarnated into the form of a human boy is something I'm still waiting to see expounded upon in a satisfying way. Here's hoping for post-Z content from Toriyama at some point.

I suppose I should also point out that I love the other human characters like Krillin, Yamcha, Tenshinhan, Videl, and even Mr. Satan. They probably fare better on this forum, but the more casual fans usually scoff at these characters and act like they're not worth talking about at all.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue May 07, 2019 10:54 pm

Bardock.

Don't know if "hate" is the right word, though. More like "fed up". Seeing how Bardock is treated differently (not in many different places, it's only in Dragon Ball Online and Dragon Ball Minus/Dragon Ball Super: Broly that he's different, in everything else his personality is coherent; Episode of Bardock is a special case, where his personality is being changed) and the love goes massively to the old one, from the 1990 TV Special, people seem to be fed up with him, to the point of not wanting to see him again. He's still a great character, a badass nonetheless.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Wed May 08, 2019 7:53 am

I'm pretty well disposed toward Ribrianne and Jiren. The former because I think she's just a fun gag character whose hate was way overblown, and I appreciate the commitment Toei made to magical girl bit. The latter because I think what they did with him in the final few eps of Super were interesting enough to redeem the mishandling of him up to that point, plus at the end of the day he gave us some cool fights and was an effective intimidating presence.

I want Ribrianne to be in more games. I'm having so much fun using her in DB Legends because they made her a top tier unit and it's gratifying to crush Broly/Gogeta/Cell teams in PVP.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Wed May 08, 2019 8:26 am

Caulifla, Kale, and Ribrianne. These aren't characters I like but "everyone else" hates, they're characters I LOVE but "everyone else" hates. I also was a big Goten fan when I was a kid, because my older brother's favorite character was Gohan, and it made sense that we as brothers would love two brothers.
Caulifla best girl! :)

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed May 08, 2019 9:03 am

I was going to mention Ribrianne, but I don't exactly 'like' her, but neither do I really dislike her.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed May 08, 2019 1:22 pm

Caulifla, Kale and Oob. They're fun characters that fit their purpose nicely.

Ribrianne is in a weird spot for me. She certainly overstayed her welcome. She suffered from the same problem the Ginyu Force had on Namek in that her gimmicky gag humor got old REAL quick. She was more than open to valid criticism, but the hate went WAY over the top at times.

Super_Divine_Genki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Super_Divine_Genki » Wed May 08, 2019 1:32 pm

Artificial Human/Cell Arc Vegeta. And Chi chi in general.

And to a lesser extent,
Zamasu.
was cool and all, but I was more of a fan of Kaioshin apprentice Zamasu as he contemplated existence and questioned the realities around him. It could've gone a little further, but DB doesn't really do that, especially Super...

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed May 08, 2019 1:46 pm

I know Chi Chi is a character that gets a lot of flack for her personality especially in the anime with how she constantly obsesses over Gohan's education when the entire world is at stake and i can see why some wouldn't like her too, but with that said i don't totally despise her like some others do, it's true she can definitely be annoying in a not funny way especially with her education tiger mama Z self and with such scenes as after the seriously wounded Vegeta retreats where she full charges from the ship completely ignoring Goku in his injured state and running straight to Gohan laying naked in Krillin's arms like nothing else matters. That part definitely grates on me no doubt but i do like the occasional scenes and moments where she's not bitching about this that and the other and actually being pleasant like the part where Goku holds her after recovering from the heart virus in the Androids/Cell arc and the 25th Budokai when he returns from the Next World, even as infrequent as those can be. Simply put, she can no doubt be annoying but there are at least times where she isn't portrayed in that over the top nagging manner more closer to how she was in the original series.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

ruler9871
Regular

Post by ruler9871 » Wed May 08, 2019 8:47 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 8:44 pm Fat Buu, I guess.
I second this. To me, he & Base Super Buu were the only versions of Buu with decent characterization.
zarmack wrote:The whole "Dragonball is only supposed to be light and funny" mentality that exist in a lot of the fandom is in many ways even dumber than the "edgeload" side of the fandom. You know, the contrarians who think DB should be a Slice-of-Life series, the folks who worship Pre-Raditz Dragonball uncritically, the folks who downplay and often flat-out deny that Dragonball is an action series, the folks who try to push that false argument that none of the serious moments in the series were mean't to be taken seriously, etc.

Dragonball doesn't have a single tone. It has both silly and serious moments, both humor and drama, just like real life. The idea that a work of fiction should be only all-comedy or all-serious is unnatural and frankly, retarded.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed May 08, 2019 8:53 pm

ruler9871 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 8:47 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 8:44 pm Fat Buu, I guess.
I second this. To me, he & Base Super Buu were the only versions of Buu with decent characterization.
I definitely like fat Buu and first form Super Buu as well, those are i feel his forms which were the most unique character wise as well as the only ones that actually talk which the gray skinny and pure Kid forms of him really don't for the most part.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Wed May 08, 2019 10:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Wed May 08, 2019 9:52 pm

Caulifla and Kale are insanely popular wth.

Akamay
Beyond Newbie

Post by Akamay » Wed May 08, 2019 10:36 pm

Super Buu after absorbing Gohan, Gotenks and Piccolo.
It's mostly my nostalgia talking here, but I feel like him coming up with the idea, pulling it off and then using the powers of everyone he absorbed was a nice plot twist.
"Unnecessary", "overly complicated" and "doesn't really bring much to the story" are often the arguments that people use to say that he was a poorly written character, but heck, I still like him.

Kid Buu was also one of my favorite characters growing up. Him going straight for the planet busting and then not taking the fight with Goku and Vegeta seriously was always something I enjoyed.
Having Goku fighting someone and having him being on the same shoes as Master Roshi when he fought Goku for the first time is, at least, unique. Given how cocky Goku was back then, it's kinda like having Goku deal with his younger self.
Dunno if this makes any sense.

Gohan from DBS is also fine by me. People keep saying that he is too weak and that having him care for his family goes against his resolve at the end of the Ressurection F arc, but I kinda like the whole idea that Gohan is trying to be a good father, a good husband and actually do something other than just focusing on fighting.
It got meme'd to hell and back, but Gohan is not like Goku, he doesn't live for the thrill of fighting. Also, he had a nice moment with Future Trunks when he got to hang out with him.