"Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - (Non) Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by PFM18 » Thu May 09, 2019 12:46 am

There was no announcement about Super on Goku day. The big announcement was apparently about the "Dragon Ball Heroes Grand Tour." That was the thing that they were hyping up to come on Goku day it seems, not Super. I mean, I guess there could still be an announcement coming later in Goku day, but they already released the big info that they were teasing on twitter to come out today.

At this point it seems that the "leaks" are just bullshit one way or another. At this point, after the 30th anniversary of DBZ and Goku day have passed, we have to acknowledge the possibility that Super isn't coming back in July like the leakers said, whether it be they misinterpreted the animators, the animators were wrong/lying, or they are lying about these sources altogether for the sake of clicks.

If it is coming back in early July, it seems they would already be in the process of marketing it. Especially since it would not be interfering with the Broly movie hype at this point. I mean, it's less than 2 months from the supposed return of Super.
Last edited by PFM18 on Thu May 09, 2019 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu May 09, 2019 12:49 am

PremiumSalt wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 12:44 am
Michsi wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 12:41 am As I've mentioned before, lately they give us teasers when something big is about to be announced. Maybe that wouldn't be necessary since it's Goku day (Piccolo day) so people are already paying attention, but it is concerning we haven't gotten any hints until now.

Another possibility is that they are waiting for U.S. time zone since lately they've been trying to sync announcements with western fans as well.
I mean, they did tease that something was going to happen on the SDBH stream, not that it's terribly likely that they'd announce it there of all places.
Yes, that's true. I thought something was revealed already related to that, like the when the next episode of DBH episode will air or something, but I don't pay attention to this series at all.

Oh well, let's wait and see.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu May 09, 2019 12:56 am

I am legitimately wishing I had the life force left in me to laugh at how this thing can never get announced. Hilarious.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu May 09, 2019 2:08 am

If this doesn't air in July (which seems to be the case) then it goes to show that the best sources can also be wrong.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu May 09, 2019 2:25 am

These sources are generally worthless and most the time fabricated to get nothing but clicks so no stock should be placed in them.

Some of you guys need patience, they said they weren't working on anything. When they have something to announce then they'll announce it, this thread was made and stickied because people jumped the gun over nothing.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu May 09, 2019 2:40 am

I still believe that there is a series already in production, too many separate sources have hinted at this (the Italian VA, the exclusive industry convention that was selling licenses to new episodes ) The date it would start airing was always an uncertainty because animators, which seem to be the main sources of info, would not necessarily be the first to know about this stuff.

Another thought I had was that there might've been the intention to have this new series be a simuldub and I think the U.S. release has 20 more episodes to go. That would mean it would end sometime around late September, early October, right when the fall season begins.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu May 09, 2019 2:49 am

Bullza wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 2:25 am These sources are generally worthless and most the time fabricated to get nothing but clicks so no stock should be placed in them.
These sources have been right in the past. Also keep in mind that Geekdom and Ajay are just telling us what they were told so that info being right or wrong is out of their hands.
Michsi wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 2:40 amI still believe that there is a series already in production, too many separate sources have hinted at this.
The franchise is too successful right now for there not to be one either in development or being planned.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu May 09, 2019 3:18 am

Isn't 2020 the better date anyway, generally speaking. Goku is one of the icons for Olympics and cross-promotion with an on-going anime would do wonders for all parties involved.

I'm not sure about this year anymore at this point.

vashter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by vashter » Thu May 09, 2019 3:44 am

I mean you guys are going bat shit no reason, Ajay just said that he double check his source recently didn't he? I'm not sure really.... but Ajay, Geek, Yonkou all 3 said it coming July in 3 different source they got, YET it been pre-production since last october again that coming from Ajay who said that, I only know Ajay got source within Toei Entertainment, Geek from some VA in Italian, Idk who the Yonkou... you all are crying, bitching, moaning... relax and have a drink, everyone is posting "IT COMING TOM" etc everyday in here... twitter... instagram... discord.... you name it.. even if they said it coming July or get blindside by the source that lie to them who knows.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu May 09, 2019 4:25 am

Tbf this could've been a ploy from Toei from the start to give some people they're suspicious of false info and see if they leak it out and when/if they do Toei will have a better idea who the mole is. I believe this happened before with Yonkou someone purposely fed them wrong info on the release of OPM S2 I think.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu May 09, 2019 4:38 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 4:25 am Tbf this could've been a ploy from Toei from the start to give some people they're suspicious of false info and see if they leak it out and when/if they do Toei will have a better idea who the mole is. I believe this happened before with Yonkou someone purposely fed them wrong info on the release of OPM S2 I think.
Huh....well, that would be sinister. I mean I think it's kind of unlikely someone would've gone that far just to tarnish the credibility of people on social media. Not to mention risky, since people seem to be getting frustrated and that's not a feeling you want to spread in the fandom of your franchise.

vashter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by vashter » Thu May 09, 2019 4:39 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 4:25 am Tbf this could've been a ploy from Toei from the start to give some people they're suspicious of false info and see if they leak it out and when/if they do Toei will have a better idea who the mole is. I believe this happened before with Yonkou someone purposely fed them wrong info on the release of OPM S2 I think.
That can happened it like working for Toei and show message to boss, and boss just tweet DM to Ajay and never know...

vashter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by vashter » Thu May 09, 2019 5:51 am

https://imgur.com/a/b4qUrO2 didn't even see this... I guess this is the announcement? Edit: this probably what Akira was talking about at Jump Fiesta

gantarat

Post by gantarat » Thu May 09, 2019 7:02 am

We would see poster,promo and toy at this point if Super Return on July.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu May 09, 2019 7:08 am

Bandai Namco’s financial report for fiscal year 2019 (which went from April 1st 2018 to March 31st 2019) is out.
Dragon Ball sales greatly exceed their expectations (the initial forecast was of 80.0 billion yen) making 39.5% of their sales. It’s impressive how it almost makes half of their money, and it’s getting bigger and bigger each year with no signs of slowing down.
Forecasts for fiscal year 2020 are less conservative than usual, possibly because they know of a new TV show coming during this fiscal year. Well, the numbers above alone are telling of how big and important Dragon Ball is (and it’s not only for Bandai Namco but for all other companies involved with it), and we need no leak to understand that these companies would want their biggest money maker to get back on air as soon as possible to continue profiting off it - and, mind you, Dragon Ball was basically a dying franchise financially wise until Super came out, despite of DB Kai and the movies.

On May 14th Toei will be releasing their financial report for fiscal year 2019 alongside their forecasts for next year and their plans of developing their IPs, with detailed planning up until Q2 2020, which ends on September 30th (that’s what they always do).

If the Toei report doesn’t have anything about a new Dragon Ball show, then I will be losing hopes for the show coming back in July - even though it would make the most sense, and I absolutely trust Ajay, Geekdom and the other guys who have been leaking stuff regarding the continuation of Super’s TV show.
I was told about the licensors event in Bologna myself by a source who attended it, whom I know for sure is a licensor in Italy and who told me that, during the conference back in April, it was said Super would be coming back on TV in July.

Plans can change for whatever reason, of course, and we shouldn’t know any of these things so it’s perfectly fine for people to be sceptical. I’m sure that if there wasn’t still some scheduling, arrangements, deals etcetera going on behind the scenes that they would have already announced something regarding Dragon Ball’s future. If they aren’t comfortable talking about it at all it means there’s a lot of stuff that hasn’t been finalised yet. Maybe it’s because of the time slot? As the timeslot Super used to air in is now occupied by Kitaro, which is getting another season and doesn’t look like it will be ending anytime soon, and surely not in July. Or maybe it’s because this time around they are willing to have the show coming out later to have a better product and to release it as soon as possible in other countries.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu May 09, 2019 7:45 am

gantarat wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 7:02 am We would see poster,promo and toy at this point if Super Return on July.
We're on September now for merchandise info there was nothing 100% confirming a TV show in July/August however one suspicious thing is movie merch has dropped the movie branding and is now being branded as only DBS. (April's Grandista Gogeta still had the movie branding).
emperior wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 7:08 am
This. This is why there is no rush for a DB show to be on the air like some fans think there is, the DBS brand actually got stronger once the show went off the air, largely thanks to UI and then with December's movie it just exploded even more and so the show could return in July 2020 and DB would be just fine until then.

A weekly TV show is gonna cost money on Toei's part and they're currently reaping the rewards without a weekly show so they wouldn't have a reason to rush one out asap.

So the only reason we'll get DBS on air this year would be for story purposes not financial (like most of modern DB contrary to what a lot of people think.)

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu May 09, 2019 7:57 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 7:45 am
emperior wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 7:08 am
This. This is why there is no rush for a DB show to be on the air like some fans think there is, the DBS brand actually got stronger once the show went off the air, largely thanks to UI and then with December's movie it just exploded even more and so the show could return in July 2020 and DB would be just fine until then.

A weekly TV show is gonna cost money on Toei's part and they're currently reaping the rewards without a weekly show so they wouldn't have a reason to rush one out asap.

So the only reason we'll get DBS on air this year would be for story purposes not financial (like most of modern DB contrary to what a lot of people think.)
I think you got what I was saying wrong. Even though the numbers are showing an increase despite the show not being on the air, and even though you are right when you say that they will be reaping the rewards for a while, I also pointed out how it was only thanks to Super’s weekly TV show that Dragon Ball’s franchise was revived, and for the higher ups in all the involved companies it would make little sense to just wait and reap diminishing rewards while they could see much better profits by trying to maximise the franchise’s financial presence and potential.

This is not a cash cow which has maximised its potential, Dragon Ball is a star franchise right now with still a lot of room of growth. And as such, they should not only try to keep its popularity from not decreasing, but they should be actively trying to boost it. This is not even common sense, it’s basically a rule. Even companies with cash cow products try to renovate said products to attract different kinds of customers or to get a bigger market share.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Thu May 09, 2019 8:10 am

So it'll be time to give up hope once the 14th of May passes, huh?

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu May 09, 2019 8:27 am

TheUltimateNinja wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:10 am So it'll be time to give up hope once the 14th of May passes, huh?
Yes.

The last bit of hope for an announcement is this:

But there’s no info about when this World Adventure thing will be. It should be before May 14th anyways if the release date of the new show is July, because I can’t see Toei not including Super’s continuation in their plans for this fiscal year if it’s still scheduled to come out in July.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Thu May 09, 2019 8:35 am

Have you heard about Occam's Razor? Your explanation requieres A LOT of assumptions.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.