Cosplay is weird...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Humpski
Regular

Cosplay is weird...

Post by Humpski » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:04 pm

Here's a girl that was at a recent convention here. I went to school with her.

Can't say I would ever want to Cosplay as someone from Dragonball. The series wasn't know for the most beautiful outfits.
Check out our home made films!
Lots of martial arts action and comedy.
http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=HumpskiProductions

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:06 pm

Wow, her cosplay.....leaves a lot to be desired. I'll just say nice for a first try? >>
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Humpski
Regular

Post by Humpski » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:20 pm

Actually, Desire Campbell might have seen her. I think he was at this convention.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:30 pm

Oh so this was at AniMaritime then? You've got some pretty good cosplays at that con that I saw from looking through galleries.

Just to remind people that there's still well done DB cosplays being churned out, like this recent upload to cosplay.com:
Last edited by Jerseymilk on Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:38 pm

That's a sweet costume.

Humpski
Regular

Post by Humpski » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:39 pm

Yeah, it was at AmiMaritime.

I can't see the pic you posted unfortunately. Must be blocked by this server. I'll check it out when I get home.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:48 pm

Super: Ya I just saw it on the frontpage on cosplay.com a short time ago. He has a couple more in his gallery if you're wanting to look at them.
http://www.cosplay.com/costume/91522/

Artificial Human #887
Beyond Newbie

Post by Artificial Human #887 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:24 pm

Dragon Ball cosplay always seems to be on the extremes... it's either done really well... or terrible.

They may not have the best clothing in anime, but DB cosplay is still pretty fun. But I'm a sucker for things like that.
Aly. Professional nerd. [url=http://vegetas.livejournal.com]vegetas@livejournal[/url]

DB Cosplay 2009: The Great Saiyaman

DemonKingPiccolo
Beyond Newbie

Post by DemonKingPiccolo » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:02 pm

People here already know my veiw on cosplay, as geeky of an activity as I believe it to be, I do admire people's abilities when it comes to costume design. Don't get me wrong, there are some really well crafted costumes out there, this unfortunately....isn't one of those.

If you can't design a costume to look at least halfway believable or even like the character that you're trying to look like, then you might as well stay home, or come to the convention in regular clothes.
"There's a hole in the world like a great black pit
And it's filled with people who are filled with shit
And the vermin of the world inhabit it."
~Sweeney Todd

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:11 pm

Say whatcha want but thats actually pretty hot if you ask me.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:33 pm

Humpski wrote:Actually, Desire Campbell might have seen her. I think he was at this convention.
I did indeed.

I liked the 'Naked Snake' cosplayer the best. That was badass.

veshira
Regular

Post by veshira » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:39 pm

I really like her spandex. :D And the fabric she chose for the boots and arm-warmers is good. The parts of the costume that are yellow don't look that good, though, and the armor looks like something I'd buy for my 5 year old as their Halloween costume. D:

But the costume's that bad to me. It'd never win a contest, but I've seen much worse. You can tell she put some effort into her costume, as apposed to "I'm going to be Vegeta! I need a tank top and hair gel."

[edit]

Looking through the cosplays on cosplay.com. Found the coolest Freeza cosplay ever! (Oh look, she seems so familiar! And her sister, too! Hmm... :D )
Last edited by veshira on Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What's scarier than a DBZ H-game?
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLuBVyPsL5g]Fear the dancing![/url]

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:48 pm

The material for the boots and arm warmers is not a good choice at all. The costume actually would have looked much better if she hadn't used satin for the material. And I'm still trying to figure out why she chose to wear lolita-type sleeves in the first place. :? Someone in that pic is actually holding her hair up for the shoot by the way, though really, with her hair that length, she could use a bucket of gel and gravity would still win out in the end. :P

veshira
Regular

Post by veshira » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:03 pm

Jerseymilk wrote:The material for the boots and arm warmers is not a good choice at all. The costume actually would have looked much better if she hadn't used satin for the material. And I'm still trying to figure out why she chose to wear lolita-type sleeves in the first place. :?
You're probably right. I don't know a lot about costumes. (I've read somewhere it's not a good idea to use satin in costumes? I have no idea why though. I read it in Dramacon. xD)

Yeah, I don't know why the sleeves are lolita-ish. I guess she just likes lolita sleeves. :(
What's scarier than a DBZ H-game?
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLuBVyPsL5g]Fear the dancing![/url]

COCONUT MILK
Beyond Newbie

Post by COCONUT MILK » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:07 pm

LOOOOOL! Imagine if vegeta had to go around with someone holding his hair up!

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:11 pm

veshira wrote:
Jerseymilk wrote:The material for the boots and arm warmers is not a good choice at all. The costume actually would have looked much better if she hadn't used satin for the material. And I'm still trying to figure out why she chose to wear lolita-type sleeves in the first place. :?
You're probably right. I don't know a lot about costumes. (I've read somewhere it's not a good idea to use satin in costumes? I have no idea why though. I read it in Dramacon. xD)

Yeah, I don't know why the sleeves are lolita-ish. I guess she just likes lolita sleeves. :(
Ya well there's sort of this "taboo" about it, though I think that opinion gets a little silly at times. Satin can work for some costumes. Where a costume actually calls for it or something like the Sailor Senshi for example(especially the musical versions), it works there. Just a lot of the times it can make a costume look shiney when it shouldn't or make it look gaudy and cheap. That's where a lot of the dislike towards it comes from. In this case I think it's more that it doesn't work with the costume than anything to me.

As to the sleeves, perhaps she was actually doing like a "female Saiyajin" type cosplay and not actually Vegeta, so she thought it would bring in an element of femininity? Could explain the choice of the satin too.
Last edited by Jerseymilk on Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Remix
Beyond Newbie

Re: Cosplay is weird...

Post by Remix » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:18 pm

Humpski wrote:Here's a girl that was at a recent convention here. I went to school with her.
Tell her I said, "Hi."
Hi, I'm WeeklyTubeShow. Innagadadavida and I like to make videos.

Perhaps you'd like to see one.

Ero-Sennin

Post by Ero-Sennin » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:40 pm

If i remember how Vegeta looked back then in the anime/manga i think white leather boots would have been better. The fact the top is so see through you can see her bra on the other hand might draw her some fans for the wrong reasons (I'm looking at you B-kun).

The Satin was a pretty bad choice, seriously could you see Vegeta wearing something so shiny and feminine? I personally don't object to slight modifications to cosplay as long as it keeps in character.
Dark souls come dime a dozen, a truely pure soul is priceless, whilst a truely corrupted one is worthless.

QuantumDestiny
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by QuantumDestiny » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:45 pm

I'll show you something weird...

Anyway... I kinda like it when people do gender switch on the characters. This male ChiChi is my hero!

Carrie
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Carrie » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:54 pm

Save the male Chi Chi for Rocketman. 8)
[quote="Rocketman"]
He (Gohan) is weaker. He has the fighting spirit of a wet noodle soaked in water until it barely resembles a noodle. A pebble is tougher than Gohan, because you could conceivably trip on a rock and stub your toe, while Gohan would yield like so much melted pudding. Vanilla pudding. Because he's too pansy-ass to have a strong flavor if he was pudding. Pure water has more flavor than hypothetical Gohan-pudding.

.... I think I lost where I was going there.[/quote]