"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Cold Skin » Fri May 10, 2019 2:27 pm

Janemba will be interesting gameplay-wise and presentation-wise (intro / victory pose / team stance) except for... his dialogue which will be as interesting as the dialogues from the small Boo.
But hey, you can't always have everything right, it would be a shame to sacrifice him just because he can't have interesting lines.
As for his winning pose, he will probably laugh maniacally while looking at the sword that broke into a tiny object in the palm of his hand.

Speaking of which, I'm still amazed at the awesome care that's put into the presentation with the intros and victory poses, which are far from the mere "I take my fighting stance" or "I get up from a sitting position" intros of games back then. The moves, angles of camera and references are carefully thought out and crafted.

But also, the team stances at the end with the team lines are always a pleasure. I really love how they have that pose of proudly facing the losing team with stances that mean "this is what you get for facing a team like ours".

ImageImage

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri May 10, 2019 4:45 pm

Even after two seasons, this game roster still has the same flaws and it's a joke compared to other fighting games.

- Lack of female fighters.
- Too many versions of the same characters. As if 3 Gokus weren't enough, now we have 4. Another Broly is coming and that's not counting with the 3 Vegetas, 2 Gohans and 2 Buus.

I would like the sequel of this game to be called DB FighterS and focus mainly on DBS characters, because seems like the only way for characters like Trio de Dangers, Ribrianne, Caulifla, Kale and Toppo make the cut. As for Kefla, no idea what happened. Seemed like a obvious choice for DLC, but I guess Base Goku, Base Vegeta, Gt Goku, Videl + a third Gohan were more important.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Fri May 10, 2019 5:12 pm

Not gonna lie, GT Goku actually feels pretty underwhelming to me now. I guess it was the new character hype that had my attention initially. He just feels average to me.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Fri May 10, 2019 6:06 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 4:45 pm - Lack of female fighters.
DB lacks female fighters overall. Except for #18 and Videl we only had GT Pan as relevant female character that is also a fighter. Even here, Videl's relevance is matter of discussion. Characters like Zangya, Fasha and Oceanus Shenron barely existed in games. DBS didn't change much, introducing only Caulifla and Kale (+ their fusion). Ribrianne has very low chance of appearing. DBO/DBH introduced some interesting female fighters, i mean Towa, Kamin or Lagss but they will never appear in this game anyway.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Fri May 10, 2019 6:30 pm

Grimlock wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 1:05 pm Is it too much to ask for Xeno Goku? It's the only one missing in this game. :P
P R E A C H.

Idc how many Gokus are out, XGoku is a thing in the franchise and he needs to be represented more especially in video games.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Fri May 10, 2019 8:18 pm

Is it controversial to say I prefer GT Goku's non-transforming Dragon Fist? It's a really cool cinematic attack and the Kamehameha followup makes it feel more dynamic. The SS4 version, leaving aside my personal apathy toward that form, doesn't have the same impact. The fact that he turns back so quickly makes it feel half-baked.

Still, he's a really cool, creative character. I'm not used to using small characters (I dabbled with Krillin briefly when the game first came out, but I've been on my Freeza-Hit-SS Goku kick for the better part of a year now) but I can see myself trying him out on a team.

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Fri May 10, 2019 8:54 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 4:45 pm Even after two seasons, this game roster still has the same flaws and it's a joke compared to other fighting games.

- Too many versions of the same characters. As if 3 Gokus weren't enough, now we have 4. Another Broly is coming and that's not counting with the 3 Vegetas, 2 Gohans and 2 Buus.

I would like the sequel of this game to be called DB FighterS and focus mainly on DBS characters, because seems like the only way for characters like Trio de Dangers, Ribrianne, Caulifla, Kale and Toppo make the cut. As for Kefla, no idea what happened. Seemed like a obvious choice for DLC, but I guess Base Goku, Base Vegeta, Gt Goku, Videl + a third Gohan were more important.
This post is a joke. We have representation for almost every major character that had relevance in Z and their respective arcs, along with a good supplemental roster from Super. LOL at counting great saiyaman as a "3rd gohan".

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Fri May 10, 2019 8:57 pm

Kataphrut wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 8:18 pm Is it controversial to say I prefer GT Goku's non-transforming Dragon Fist? It's a really cool cinematic attack and the Kamehameha followup makes it feel more dynamic. The SS4 version, leaving aside my personal apathy toward that form, doesn't have the same impact. The fact that he turns back so quickly makes it feel half-baked.

Still, he's a really cool, creative character. I'm not used to using small characters (I dabbled with Krillin briefly when the game first came out, but I've been on my Freeza-Hit-SS Goku kick for the better part of a year now) but I can see myself trying him out on a team.
No, it's not controversial. Dragon fist of SSJ4 sucks in this game. It's literally classic dragon fist used on Hirudegarn. FighterZ is known for great references, but somehow they didn't think about giving him one of dragon fists he used in GT. Either the one used on Eis Shenron (Budokai Tenkaichi 3 ultimate) or the one used on Omega Shenron, where he shoots Kamehameha and then flies through it with dragon fist. That would be awesome, but no, they gave generic dragon fist.

Base Goku's dragon fist is a lot better, although it doesn't look like dragon fist since there is no dragon. It's more like penetrate technique he used against Piccolo Daimao + followed by Kamehameha he used against Super 17 right after actual dragon fist. I guess it's ok since this character was meant to kinda mix OG kid Goku with GT Goku.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Fri May 10, 2019 9:33 pm

Kataphrut wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 8:18 pm Is it controversial to say I prefer GT Goku's non-transforming Dragon Fist? It's a really cool cinematic attack and the Kamehameha followup makes it feel more dynamic. The SS4 version, leaving aside my personal apathy toward that form, doesn't have the same impact. The fact that he turns back so quickly makes it feel half-baked.

Yeah, unfortunately SS4 Dragon Fist is kind of disappointing. The cuts between Goku and the Dragon... just don't feel right. I can't tell if it's because it feels choppy or if it's just flat, but it really doesn't do it for me.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Fri May 10, 2019 11:19 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 4:45 pm Even after two seasons, this game roster still has the same flaws and it's a joke compared to other fighting games.

I Agree with allot of what you said here FortuneSSJ.

While I am happy for any fan that got the characters that they where hoping for, I am personalty disappointed with the roster of the game making to many versions of the same character that leaves the game feeling stale. The over saturation of Goku or Goku Fusions or Goku Hybrids like I am hearing with the Kid version of Goku now showcases how to much of the series tries to push and rely on Goku's popularity to much that it questions the creativity of the game developers.

DB have a Very Good Roster of Female heroes I wished they had pulled from to make the game more interesting, especially from the ToP saga that is only really represented by Jiren as of right now. Mostly it is a shame that Kefla did not get added to the Roster since I felt she should have been the 1st female to represent the expanded female roster we got from the ToP saga and is the fusion of the 2 most dynamic ladies out of the ToP saga, she would have made the most sense. Even thought I want Ribrianne, Kefla should be the 1st Great IMO for these reasons I just stated.

I hope now that Figtherz will in the next season take more dynamic steps to uniquely increase the roster with different characters and an increase use of the female roster.
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sat May 11, 2019 4:35 am

I can see how people want more female fighters but to me, they aren't a priority. is just a Broly-stand in and with 2 Brolies already in the roster we don't need another one. Kefla feels like a Broly-light to me. That both Kale and Kaulifla were horrible written characters doesn't help for me either.
When we do include female fighters I would rather see GT Pan, a "good" Android 21 skin and someone like the time Kaioshin from the Heroes/Xenoverse games. Maybe even include 22nd Budokai Chi-Chi, who was a nice surprise in Super DragonBall Z on the Ps2.

Those would be nice but I would prioritize a lot of other, more important characters like Janemba, Baby Vegeta, Omega Shenron, Roshi, Raditz, Garlic Jr, Dabura and Satan.

In Dragonball there aren't many strong or good written female characters, in part due to it's shonen audience and in part due to Toriyama admitting he isn't good at writing for female characters.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sat May 11, 2019 5:29 am

Jord wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 4:35 am I can see how people want more female fighters but to me, they aren't a priority. is just a Broly-stand in and with 2 Brolies already in the roster we don't need another one. Kefla feels like a Broly-light to me. That both Kale and Kaulifla were horrible written characters doesn't help for me either.
When we do include female fighters I would rather see GT Pan, a "good" Android 21 skin and someone like the time Kaioshin from the Heroes/Xenoverse games. Maybe even include 22nd Budokai Chi-Chi, who was a nice surprise in Super DragonBall Z on the Ps2.

Those would be nice but I would prioritize a lot of other, more important characters like Janemba, Baby Vegeta, Omega Shenron, Roshi, Raditz, Garlic Jr, Dabura and Satan.

In Dragonball there aren't many strong or good written female characters, in part due to it's shonen audience and in part due to Toriyama admitting he isn't good at writing for female characters.
You know who feels like Broly-light to me? The actual second Broly they're adding in a season with only six characters, which also includes a second Goku + Vegeta fusion, and a fourth Goku.

It's like, right now there's this rivalry between people who most wanted Janemba to be the last character and people who most wanted Kefla (I personally would have preferred the latter because I like seeing new interactions and Janemba won't have any, but hey could've been worse), and it's like fellas, you've got a common enemy when it comes to wasted slots in this game. They're the reason only one of them is getting in, not to mention poor Master Roshi who was THE most wanted out of everyone and got ruled out the moment GT Goku was announced.

I said this when he was first announced: GT Goku is a good character, I'm sure Super Broly and Gogeta will also be good characters. The vast majority of characters in this game are good characters (though pretty much everyone seems tp have dropped off Base Goku and Vegeta). If we operate at the baseline expectation that ArcSys can make good fighting game characters, then wouldn't it be better to let them show that off with original characters instead of trying to make unique versions of the same character? Save further variations for the sequel, or spread them out.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sat May 11, 2019 11:59 am

I think the priority would be to have the major players from the end of arcs: the final boss of every saga and the one that defeated him each time (or at least made him have a really bad time). So adding "star players" like Zamasu, Jiren, Blue Vegetto makes sense. With the latest "final showdown" to date being Blue Gogeta VS New Broly, they make sense too.

But that's also why, though I don't care much for base Goku and base Vegeta, I understand and accept their inclusion as a major showdown at the climax of one of the arcs (the Saiyan arc).
Just like we need Goku VS Freezer, Gohan VS Cell, we need Saiyan-era Goku VS Saiyan-era Vegeta, I get that. Even the SNES game Super Butoden made that difference between "Saiyan arc versions" and "Super Saiyans for the rest of the story".
And they can't be represented by a simple skin of their Super Saiyan counterparts with moves and attacks they shouldn't have yet. They were quite different back then.

Kid Goku is also a staple of the franchise (covering most of the Dragon Ball anime) and he was wanted, and they managed to slip him in cleverly as the GT version so that they hit three birds with one stone (Kid Goku -- GT Goku -- SS4 Goku).
I guess Ultra Instinct Goku is missing now but he'll probably be the Goku for 2020's Goku Day, taking one of the (presumably) six slots of season 3 if there is one.

Finally, having the new Broly was only natural, why would his outdated psychopath version prevent the inclusion of the newest compelling character included in the franchise in the eventful, impressive movie that hyped everyone?

I don't care for the psychopath Broly, I wouldn't have missed him.
But I do care for the newest Broly who is an interesting character with potential by the author.
So I wouldn't consider that a repeat of a character that's here, he's someone producing a different effect on me, like a whole other character (who might not even look like his Full Power form most of the time for all we know).

To me, it's far from being a wasted slot, "Broly" doesn't feel the same as "Broly", they only share a name and a similar built only when in Full Power (which isn't seen much at all).

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat May 11, 2019 12:34 pm

Jord wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 4:35 am In Dragonball there aren't many strong or good written female characters, in part due to it's shonen audience and in part due to Toriyama admitting he isn't good at writing for female characters.
It doesn't matter if they are well written or not, but what they have to offer in a fighting game like this. If they were only selecting well written characters, the roster wouldn't even have 20 characters.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

ruler9871
Regular

Post by ruler9871 » Sat May 11, 2019 12:46 pm

Jord wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 4:35 am snip
Good writing has nothing to due with who works best in a fighting game. Besides, Kale, Caulifla & Kefla are better characters than over 90% of the franchise's cast (powerscaling issues aside). And are definitely better characters than nearly all of DB's other female characters except Bulma, Chirai, Android 21, Buu saga Videl, Android arc 18 and Future Mai.
zarmack wrote:The whole "Dragonball is only supposed to be light and funny" mentality that exist in a lot of the fandom is in many ways even dumber than the "edgeload" side of the fandom. You know, the contrarians who think DB should be a Slice-of-Life series, the folks who worship Pre-Raditz Dragonball uncritically, the folks who downplay and often flat-out deny that Dragonball is an action series, the folks who try to push that false argument that none of the serious moments in the series were mean't to be taken seriously, etc.

Dragonball doesn't have a single tone. It has both silly and serious moments, both humor and drama, just like real life. The idea that a work of fiction should be only all-comedy or all-serious is unnatural and frankly, retarded.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat May 11, 2019 1:41 pm

ruler9871 wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 12:46 pm
Good writing has nothing to due with who works best in a fighting game. Besides, Kale, Caulifla & Kefla are better characters than over 90% of the franchise's cast (powerscaling issues aside). And are definitely better characters than nearly all of DB's other female characters except Bulma, Chirai, Android 21, Buu saga Videl, Android arc 18 and Future Mai.
I agree that writing shouldn’t qualify being in a fighting game or not, but hard disagree on everything else you said. But this isn’t the place for that

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sat May 11, 2019 2:27 pm

It does have to with my personal opinion in who I want in a fighting game.

That being said, Future Mai could be an interesting character, perhaps with a Trunks assist, like how they did Videl.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Sat May 11, 2019 2:35 pm

if towa is not in the game ... and for those surveys that were done ... it seems few know her ... I do not see reason to add DBH characters that references would use? probably nobody recognizes them.

so far I'm still wondering why videl ....
pan, caulifla, ribrianne have more movements that fit the game better
Although I agree that bulma, 18 and F Mai may be better
people overvalue to 21 is not different to kale,both were based on a masculine character that already exists (buu and broly) only that kale has evelopment that makes it a little different ....
I do not see chirai or videl better
Jord wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 4:35 am I can see how people want more female fighters but to me, they aren't a priority. is just a Broly-stand in and with 2 Brolies already in the roster we don't need another one. Kefla feels like a Broly-light to me. That both Kale and Kaulifla were horrible written characters doesn't help for me either.

21 is mostly fanservice .. and generally overrated
I do not see better written pan than caulifla I see them really the same ... both have a debatable error in power levels but they were the ones that had the best battle also some development.
chichi fought only once ... and her movements are less than those of videl and with writing .. she retired when she married, I do not see her better either

ruler9871
Regular

Post by ruler9871 » Sat May 11, 2019 3:24 pm

Tai Lung wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 2:35 pm if towa is not in the game ... and for those surveys that were done ... it seems few know her ... I do not see reason to add DBH characters that references would use? probably nobody recognizes them.

so far I'm still wondering why videl ....
pan, caulifla, ribrianne have more movements that fit the game better
Although I agree that bulma, 18 and F Mai may be better
people overvalue to 21 is not different to kale,both were based on a masculine character that already exists (buu and broly) only that kale has evelopment that makes it a little different ....
I do not see chirai or videl better

21 is mostly fanservice .. and generally overrated
I do not see better written pan than caulifla I see them really the same ... both have a debatable error in power levels but they were the ones that had the best battle also some development.
chichi fought only once ... and her movements are less than those of videl and with writing .. she retired when she married, I do not see her better either
"Good" 21 has better characterization and backstory than most of the franchise's cast in general, male or female. Definitely not overrated.

I don't like Chichi, but if Videl could work as a playable character in DBFZ then so could Teen Chichi (like she did in Super Dragonball Z).
zarmack wrote:The whole "Dragonball is only supposed to be light and funny" mentality that exist in a lot of the fandom is in many ways even dumber than the "edgeload" side of the fandom. You know, the contrarians who think DB should be a Slice-of-Life series, the folks who worship Pre-Raditz Dragonball uncritically, the folks who downplay and often flat-out deny that Dragonball is an action series, the folks who try to push that false argument that none of the serious moments in the series were mean't to be taken seriously, etc.

Dragonball doesn't have a single tone. It has both silly and serious moments, both humor and drama, just like real life. The idea that a work of fiction should be only all-comedy or all-serious is unnatural and frankly, retarded.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sat May 11, 2019 3:58 pm

Anyone complaining about the roster doesn't understand that this game wasn't going to have a large roster.

Arc Sys have done an amazing job cramming as much of the series as possible into everyone. Almost every major character or form is represented some how, arguably apart from Raditz. The way they mash in elements when they can is great, e.g base goku having the ending genki dama. Goku and Vegeta and Gohan have been around a long time. You honestly didnt want SSJ2 teen Gohan and ultimate Gohan? SSB needed some representation and to ASW credit they didnt just make them alt skins.

Every character plays rather uniquely as well. And for those complaining about women, come on guys. Yes if I was adding two more DLC characters one of them would almost definitely be Kefla, but you think in a limited roster like this Ribrianne would earn a spot?

This is the perfect small roster in my opinion.