'90s live-action U.S. series pilot?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

'90s live-action U.S. series pilot?

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Thu May 09, 2019 10:25 pm

Some of you guys may know about the U.S. live-action Sailor Moon pilots. Fewer probably know about the Saint Seiya pitch produced by the same company.

It turns out Renaissance-Atlantic Films had filed a U.S. trademark for Dragon Ball in 1994. If you go through their history at the USPTO, you'll notice that they only ever registered live-action projects in the early '90s ...
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: '90s live-action U.S. series pilot?

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri May 10, 2019 10:49 am

pre-recorded videocassettes and videodiscs featuring animated and live-action adventure stories
See no evil. Speak no evil. Hear no evil

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Fri May 10, 2019 10:58 am

So you mean that we could have an episode of Power Rangers in which they meet both the Ninja Turtles AND Goku?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat May 11, 2019 3:46 pm

It would probably be like the Double Dragon movie, but on a way smaller budget.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat May 11, 2019 8:45 pm

What a cool discovery. I wonder how exactly they would have turned Dragon Ball into a Power Rangers-esque monster of the week story. It probably wouldn't have turned out well in the least, but still something I would be pretty curious to know just how far into the planning stages they got.
Jord wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 10:58 am So you mean that we could have an episode of Power Rangers in which they meet both the Ninja Turtles AND Goku?
I'm not gonna lie - a part of me wants to see what such a thing would have been like. I mean, horrible is the clear answer, but just how horrible?
Last edited by Gyt Kaliba on Sat May 11, 2019 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat May 11, 2019 9:02 pm

I can't think of many martial arts live action TV shows during the 90s other than Mortal Kombat Conquest. That show was pretty bad too for the most part and I think we doge a bullet with this. Dragon Ball Evolution already had a mid-late 90s bad movie vibe to it anyways.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun May 12, 2019 3:43 pm

Jord wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 10:58 am So you mean that we could have an episode of Power Rangers in which they meet both the Ninja Turtles AND Goku?
As far as I know Saban the company that made Power Rangers and that live action Ninja Turtles show that existed for like half a week had nothing do with that would be She Ra/Babysitter Sitters hybrid show that was too be American Sailor Moon or whatever this Dragon Ball thing was gonna be?