"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sun May 05, 2019 12:08 am

Got to Say I Greatly Enjoyed the Level of Enthusiasm and Joy that Veronica Taylor as Ribrianne and Maryam Baig as Hellas Gave in Episode 109 Tonight! :angel:

They Truly Get How to Represent these Characters and How to have Fun with them in the right ways, it is Voice Talents like these with the Fun and Skill given to them that Make me enjoy the Dubs in their own Unique and Special Ways, Thanks Funimation! :thumbup:
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Sun May 05, 2019 12:45 am

HeroR wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:56 am
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:00 am
DragonBallFan wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:06 am

I also hope they follow the manga from now on, I'm sick of having two different canons and having no clue whats happening for the most part.
That's impossible. A weekly tv show cannot follow a monthly manga. And if the production time for the new series is accurate than the pre production for the new series started well before Toyotaro's Moro arc started, literally making it impossible to follow. They may take some ideas and a few panels like they did at the beginning of DBS but that's all one should expect.
That's what Boruto does, actually.
Yeah, but Boruto has it's own cannon. The anime has a lot of things that don't happen on the manga.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Sun May 05, 2019 11:58 am

I don't their 10th ending version was the best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in9lKbI3xC8

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sun May 05, 2019 6:47 pm

I feel like they've all been done fairly poorly honestly. The worst one was that one goes like 'woooooooooooaaahhhh wooooaaahh woah woah', that was a joke. Yoka Yoka dance was good but apart from that, they probably should have just kept the original Japanese endings.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Mon May 06, 2019 1:51 am

SaintEvolution wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 11:58 am I don't their 10th ending version was the best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in9lKbI3xC8
Me either. Hate to say it but I like MasakoX's cover more than this official version.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon May 06, 2019 8:37 am

nato25 wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 6:47 pm I feel like they've all been done fairly poorly honestly. The worst one was that one goes like 'woooooooooooaaahhhh wooooaaahh woah woah', that was a joke. Yoka Yoka dance was good but apart from that, they probably should have just kept the original Japanese endings.
Probably helped Wiedenheft was probably the only one that could sing and didn't need auto-tune!

I like Nate's OP2 and it is much better than any of the male ED songs so wish they also could've had him cover all the male ED songs.

Nokra
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nokra » Mon May 06, 2019 8:49 am

What the endings sound like doesn't matter. Most people stop watching at that point anyway.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Mon May 06, 2019 6:03 pm

SaintEvolution wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 11:58 am I don't their 10th ending version was the best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in9lKbI3xC8
Yikes, is FUNimation averse to hiring people who can actually sing or something?
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

UltraPrimus22
Not-So-Newbie

Post by UltraPrimus22 » Mon May 06, 2019 6:37 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 6:03 pm
Yikes, is FUNimation averse to hiring people who can actually sing or something?
From what I remember, Jonathan Young was hired to do ED 1 ( "Hello Hello Hello"). Mark de Groot was in the works of doing OP 1 (Chōzetsu Dynamic ), but that never went through. NateWantsToBattle, as you know, did OP2 (Limit Break x Survivor). As a side note, Zachary J. Willis did ED 9 ( Haruka). The last one has a known Texas profile in musical theater, but in general, all three have some kind of known professional sting.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Mon May 06, 2019 6:38 pm

Yoka Yoka Dance is pretty much the only good one- I actually like it more than the Japanese version. Why are they dubbing the intros and outros anyway? Is this a Toei thing? I know they don't do it for any of their other shows.

From watching the latest ep, does anyone get the impression that Sarah Weidenheft is as sick of Zeno's constant squawking as we are? It feels like the writers are trying to vary up the lines so they're less repetitive than they were in Japanese (it isn't just endless "SUGOI/AMAZING") but her enthusiasm is sounding really forced and fake. I think she's really good as Zeno, but the material is doing her no favours.

UltraPrimus22
Not-So-Newbie

Post by UltraPrimus22 » Mon May 06, 2019 7:07 pm

Kataphrut wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 6:38 pm Yoka Yoka Dance is pretty much the only good one- I actually like it more than the Japanese version. Why are they dubbing the intros and outros anyway? Is this a Toei thing? I know they don't do it for any of their other shows.
I might be in the minority for some choices, but I actually like "Hello Hello Hello", "Yoka Yoka Dance" (Preformed by Dani Artaud), "Boogie Back", and "An Angel and A Demon".

In general, I'm pretty opened to dubbing intro and endings, since the practice isn't uncommon for non-anime titles like live-action and western animated shows. I think in Dragon Ball's case, it may or may not be due to Toei wanting some sense of "board appeal to Western markets", since Daichi Miura's Blizzard on all international copies of the Broly movie (Yes, that includes MangaUK) have his English rendition.
From watching the latest ep, does anyone get the impression that Sarah Weidenheft is as sick of Zeno's constant squawking as we are? It feels like the writers are trying to vary up the lines so they're less repetitive than they were in Japanese (it isn't just endless "SUGOI/AMAZING") but her enthusiasm is sounding really forced and fake. I think she's really good as Zeno, but the material is doing her no favours.
It could very well be the case of Jared Hedges and John Burgmeier, the ADR Scripter and Head Writer for Super respectively, trying to vary up the dialogue as well. I've also noticed that a lot of the more repetitive dialogue traits (Ribrianne's rapid-fire "love" grunts in battle, Berserker Kale's "SON GOKU!", and Zeno's "Amazing!") tend to be meatier (?) or using synonyms to avoid being trite. For instance, Taylor's Ribrianne tends to grunt normally and occasionally "Amor" whenever "love" would normally be.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Mon May 06, 2019 7:28 pm

After a lot of thought, for a while now, if Super was to return, I hoped for a Simuldub.
Now though, I just hope they are able to get the contract in time so they can simply continue on without taking an unnecessary hiatus.
Simuldubbing a long running weekly show such as Super or even One Piece would be very difficult, as they aren't seasonal shows, and there would be no clear indication as to when they would finish.

You also have the issue of Sean (and fellow out of town actors) needing to record weekly, most likely having to travel to texas and back - also the action scenes which would put a strain on their voice.
With the way things are now, they can record a few episodes at a time, and give the actors opportunity to recover from the action dialogue.
My Hero Academia has been brilliantly casted by Colleen, as has Super by Chris Sabat and Rawly Pickens, but with MHA, it's a seasonal show, and Super right now has the ability to cast well, as they have at least a month until it airs, so there's time.

I can see Super being announced to return this Thursday (Goku day) and most likely Funimation will look to nail things down so they can continue on at this current pacing, which would see them be roughly 15 episodes behind (around a cour back) which would be ideal.
I'd never see Toei going for a Simuldub, but if they did, Funimation would have to air (and produce of course) a dozen or so additional episodes, which would be very difficult, as they are stretched very thin right now.
Fingers crossed they can just carry on and maintain this pacing.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue May 07, 2019 8:07 am

DBZ_Lee wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 7:28 pmYou also have the issue of Sean (and fellow out of town actors) needing to record weekly, most likely having to travel to texas and back - also the action scenes which would put a strain on their voice.
Wasn't it revealed that Sean Schemmel records his dialogue over the internet now and sends it to Funimation that way? I definitely recall Brian Drummond saying in an interview that's how he recorded his lines for Copy Vegeta from Vancouver. I'd imagine it was the same process for Veronica Taylor, James Marsters and other non-local actors.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Tue May 07, 2019 8:01 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 8:07 am
DBZ_Lee wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 7:28 pmYou also have the issue of Sean (and fellow out of town actors) needing to record weekly, most likely having to travel to texas and back - also the action scenes which would put a strain on their voice.
Wasn't it revealed that Sean Schemmel records his dialogue over the internet now and sends it to Funimation that way? I definitely recall Brian Drummond saying in an interview that's how he recorded his lines for Copy Vegeta from Vancouver. I'd imagine it was the same process for Veronica Taylor, James Marsters and other non-local actors.
I think Sean has recorded in Texas. The ultra instinct episode definitely was, as he visited local places after.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat May 11, 2019 11:49 pm

Damn it, they fucked up Ultimate Battle. That is such a hype-inducing track mainly because of Akira Kushida's voice, the man sings his heart out. This sounds so phoned in and meh in English. They should've just left the track alone.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sun May 12, 2019 12:06 am

Funimation... why :?

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun May 12, 2019 12:10 am

Lmao wow FUNi. I defend you but that was just...oof.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sun May 12, 2019 12:19 am

Pack it up people, show's over. Shut the door behind you, don't forget to turn the lights out.

In all seriousness, I *knew* Ultra instinct would get an extended name. There are too many syllables in "Migatte no Gokui" for it to fit the flaps. But turns out that's the least of everyone's worries.

The cover of Ultimate Battle will probably turn out to be because of some stupid licensing issue or executive request. After all, it isn't strictly policy for Funimation to dub tracks these days. The rule was probably that it couldn't be the Japanese version, but it also couldn't be any of the fantastic covers that are available for free on Youtube (I'd have gone with Kaggy's version). So they had to commission a terrible English cover.

chickensguys
Not-So-Newbie

Post by chickensguys » Sun May 12, 2019 12:33 am

Came back to say "Autonomous Ultra Instinct". lol

Why make this dubbing decision? It seems so bizarre.

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Sun May 12, 2019 12:42 am

chickensguys wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 12:33 am Came back to say "Autonomous Ultra Instinct". lol

Why make this dubbing decision? It seems so bizarre.
I think they may just use the autonomous part for when it’s just said on its own

Migatte no Gokui has too many more syllables than Ultra Instinct to fudge it so they needed an extra word