"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sintzu
Banned

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by sintzu » Sun May 12, 2019 1:44 pm

I'm not the biggest fan of Chi-Chi but I'd take her over the multiple Gokus, Vegetas & Brolies that we're getting.

Personally, I think this would've been a better DLC list than what we got :
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun May 12, 2019 2:16 pm

Cold Skin wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 12:23 pm I don't think they should follow an agenda of "fighting games usually need to represent..." before following the agenda of "people like to play as / are fascinated by..." (reason for which we have the new Broly or Kid Goku) mixed with "this fighter would bring interesting fighting mechanics" (reasons for which we have the likes of Janemba or C-17).
Regardless if we like her character or not, Ribrianne has a more unique moveset than most characters in this roster.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Sun May 12, 2019 2:24 pm

Rakurai wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 12:12 pm If we're talking about female fighters for a DB fighting game. Aside from the ToP Super cast, we got plenty of others if we expanded our horizons out:
  • Chi-chi (OG DB)
  • Pan (GT)
  • Bra (GT) - Admittedly not a large moveset but they can always make something up
  • Kaioshin of Time (DBO/Xenoverse/DBH/SDBH)
  • Majin Towa (Xenoverse/DBH/SDBH)
  • Majin Poutine (Xenoverse/DBH/SDBH)
  • Lagss (SDBH)
  • Gine (DBS)
  • Seripa (Bardock's crewmate)
I'm sure there's more but those are the ones off the top of my head. Having the Majins (Demon gods) would especially be a great one since they're generally the more powerful and magical characters.

bra or gine fight?
VegettoEX wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 12:49 pm
Cold Skin wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 12:23 pm Do you see people actually getting hyped and saying "oh yes, now I can play as teen Chichi, she's alway been my favorite!!"
Chi-Chi was an extremely well-received and popular character in Super Dragon Ball Z.

This "oh nose keep the girls out of my fighting game because it doesn't represent the seriessssssssss" is really bonkers and questionable and concerning.
what makes me think because it was not added in more games after that I do not say it's bad but videl is usually chosen in the game before chichi
anyway, I do not see many expect to chichi at the moment ... if not rather the new characters because before had more limited characters and there was not much to choose from in the game.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Sun May 12, 2019 2:35 pm

I don't find the idea of Chichi attractive, at least not if it would deter us from other more important characters with an already small roaster. It has nothing to do with gender but with what we've seen from her as a fighter: Half an episode in DB where her rival didn't even fought seriously and Goten's flashbacks from when he turned SS.
I mean, we've been introduced with at least 5 girls in Super(and super strong girls too!), why go with a character that has been a house wife for the past +25 years and has faced just one character since 1986?

A character that fought in 2/500 episodes shouldn't be in a fighter game IMHO. We hardly see Chichi in the show. Her ultimate attack would be yelling at Gohan for not doing his homework and screaming at Goku for letting Gohan fight Cell? I don't know, it feels like Marge in the old Simpsons game, using her vacuum cleaner as a weapon.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Sun May 12, 2019 2:44 pm

I'll just say that maybe the new characters should have more priority over the old ones than the old ones becouse already had the opportunity to go out in previous games
but changing a little subject .. we can confirm with janemba and goku gt .. that the characters that come out in pair in the game can be completely random ?. They have nothing in common

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun May 12, 2019 2:51 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 2:35 pmI don't find the idea of Chichi attractive, at least not if it would deter us from other more important characters with an already small roaster.
Having 4 Gokus, 3 Vegetas, 2 brolies and Gogeta/Vegetto is deterring us from other characters even more. That's almost a third of the entire roster. I agree that Chichi isn't the most interesting character when you look at the franchise as a whole but she's better than getting another version of Goku.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun May 12, 2019 2:58 pm

If girls are to be added, Caulifla, Kefla and possibly Ribriand are the only ones worthy right now.
And I never said they shouldn't add girls, I said they shouldn't prioritize this idea over adding interesting characters regardless of their similarities or differences.

For such a professional job done so far with every character, I wouldn't want their motivation to add a new character to be "well, guys, we have to add a girl after all, so even though we have more interesting ideas, we should indulge the diversity even if it's not a character that remarkable".

Characters invented by other video games go against their mind set: the game is remarkable for having moves that are not generic, with every move being inspired for precise movements in the manga/anime.
Characters invented by previous games that are more generic in their moves will only lead to copying said generic moves as references, offering a level of quality that's sub-par compared to characters taken from the full-blown anime and movies.
Tai Lung wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 2:44 pm I'll just say that maybe the new characters should have more priority over the old ones than the old ones becouse already had the opportunity to go out in previous games
but changing a little subject .. we can confirm with janemba and goku gt .. that the characters that come out in pair in the game can be completely random ?. They have nothing in common
I agree with that.
And Goku GT and Janemba are weapon wielders. That's all we can really get as a common point.
Could have been Dabra too, but I guess Janemba brings the dimension-crossing aspect too for even more gameplay possibilities.
sintzu wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 2:51 pm Having 4 Gokus, 3 Vegetas, 2 brolies and Gogeta/Vegetto is deterring us from other characters even more. That's almost a third of the entire roster. I agree that Chichi isn't the most interesting character when you look at the franchise as a whole but she's better than getting another version of Goku.
What version of Goku would you eliminate?
I would be pissed if they didn't include the Super Saiyan Blue as it symbolizes the latest series that the fandom currently follows (including in the latest movie).
People would be pissed to not have the iconic Super Saiyan form.
Not having base Goku wouldn't bother me, but people could say that it's getting rid off a major character from several arcs (Saiyan arcs and most of the Namek/Freezer arc), making various major events unrepresented as seen with the Dramatic Finishes they finally could add.
Not having Kid Goku and GT Goku (in one package) wouldn't have bothered me, but it would make that the main hero of two anime is not represented.

So which Gokus would you keep and which Gokus would you have been fine without?
And would you really go passed the new Broly from the new movie and settle for the old one?
And just because we get the awesome Blue Vegetto (my favorite character), we shouldn't get the dreamy Blue Gogeta that made us go "wow" in the eventful movie of this very year?

I understand the repetition aspect, but I also think it comes from the necessity.
Chances are, had they known about the upcoming Broly movie, they wouldn't have started developing the old Broly as the first DLC.
Goku and Vegeta are bound to have various versions of themselves in games given how they change along the story (even in the SNES games limited roster, they sometimes had various versions of themselves) and Vegetto and Gogeta are not repeats to me.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun May 12, 2019 3:12 pm

Cold Skin wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 2:58 pmSo which Gokus would you keep and which Gokus would you have been fine without? And would you really go passed the new Broly from the new movie and settle for the old one?

And just because we get the awesome Blue Vegetto (my favorite character), we shouldn't get the dreamy Blue Gogeta that made us go "wow" in the eventful movie of this very year?
I think Ssj and SsjB versions of Goku and Vegeta was enough. In terms of Broly and fusion, I personally think one version of each was enough as I believe there are other characters who could've been added instead. I like Gogeta and Vegetto as much as anyone but if I could pick between having both or one and someone like Dabura I think I'd take Dabura. The same thing applis to Broly, I think one version and someone like Omega Shenron is more interesting than 2 Brolies.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun May 12, 2019 3:18 pm

Like many people, I have remembered Chi Chi from Super DBZ and I'd love to have her.
I like that she utilizes the Basho fan both in Super DBZ and in Legends on mobile.
But considering Super is the way to go and nostalgia slots already got covered by Videl with Saiyaman and GT Goku,
I can enjoy Kefla. I am huge fan of Vegetto since the day I saw him in DBZ on TV way back and was happy for two more Potara fusions in Super.

On the other hand, I really hate Ribrianne. I am not a fan of magical girls genre and find the whole thing with Ribrianne getting on my nerves (I really loved how 17 shot ki blast at them, when they were doing those obnoxious super sentai posing). I don't even like her design.
Tough I do like designs of her team mates.

And if made right, Chi Chi might have hilarious interaction with other characters and mainly Goku :)
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sun May 12, 2019 3:29 pm

Base Goku and Base Vegeta likely were supposed to be in the base game, I bet an executive stepped in and said put the Blue ones instead because of Super(which makes sense in part). There's a reason they share almost all normals, some specials and animations.
Since ArcSys had two complete or almost complete characters they just decided to add them to Season 1.

Another Broly is due to the latest material, in normal circumstances we probably wouldn't get 2 of them.

Now, if the Base Saiyans blunder hadn't occurred I bet there would close to no backlash in regards to Kid Goku, since he's distinguished enough, covers a big range of Dragon Ball and was given in Season 2.

I just want people to see the context, not that I'm defending the roster. It could and should be better but it is what it is. Kid Goku surprised me positively, I'm just waiting to see what they do with Canon Broly and this Season might turn out pretty good.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun May 12, 2019 3:50 pm

^ Yes, I agree.
Putting the first Broly was just an unlucky circumstance given that they didn't know a second one would come up. Now they have to catch up to be up to date.

And Base Goku and Base Vegeta were already found half-done before even the first DLC. They were obviously planned to be in the base game and were not due to lack of time (perhaps because the Super Saiyan Blue took over priority as you suggested).
A year is supposed to be 6 characters apparently, we only got 8 in the first year because Goku and Vegeta were half-done so they added them to the planned DLC list.

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Sun May 12, 2019 3:54 pm

Tai Lung wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 2:24 pm
Rakurai wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 12:12 pm If we're talking about female fighters for a DB fighting game. Aside from the ToP Super cast, we got plenty of others if we expanded our horizons out:
  • Chi-chi (OG DB)
  • Pan (GT)
  • Bra (GT) - Admittedly not a large moveset but they can always make something up
  • Kaioshin of Time (DBO/Xenoverse/DBH/SDBH)
  • Majin Towa (Xenoverse/DBH/SDBH)
  • Majin Poutine (Xenoverse/DBH/SDBH)
  • Lagss (SDBH)
  • Gine (DBS)
  • Seripa (Bardock's crewmate)
I'm sure there's more but those are the ones off the top of my head. Having the Majins (Demon gods) would especially be a great one since they're generally the more powerful and magical characters.

bra or gine fight?
Yeah those are pretty hard to incorporate if we're looking from a reference-material perspective. From gameplay perspective it's easier to balance them.
Cold Skin wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 2:58 pm Characters invented by other video games go against their mind set: the game is remarkable for having moves that are not generic, with every move being inspired for precise movements in the manga/anime.
Characters invented by previous games that are more generic in their moves will only lead to copying said generic moves as references, offering a level of quality that's sub-par compared to characters taken from the full-blown anime and movies.
So now you've moved your shitty goalpost from "no Heroes fanfic" to "no generic moveset." Smart call.

In which case, there's material from other games like Xenoverse and SDBH which they could use for certain characters, like Towa.

For non-female characters. Time Patrol gang have Nagayama's entire manga if you want battle panels.

And it's not unreasonable for them to create an original moveset either like they did with 21. Why should Toei dictate what moveset video game characters get instead of video game companies themselves?
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Sun May 12, 2019 4:07 pm

sintzu wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 2:51 pm
Koitsukai wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 2:35 pmI don't find the idea of Chichi attractive, at least not if it would deter us from other more important characters with an already small roaster.
Having 4 Gokus, 3 Vegetas, 2 brolies and Gogeta/Vegetto is deterring us from other characters even more. That's almost a third of the entire roster. I agree that Chichi isn't the most interesting character when you look at the franchise as a whole but she's better than getting another version of Goku.
But you just named the characters that keep the show interesting, the strongest and latest fusions, protagonists of the last movies and the strongest iterations of the characters. This is not the first game to have more than a couple of Gokus, it's not like we have 4 Kid Gohans or 3 versions of Piccolo either. They got screwed with the Broly reboot, big deal, if they would replace old Broly with the new one to save a slot they would be opening a can of hate, I wouldn't mind really but that wouldn't be fair.
I agree that they could've found another way to introduce every version of the most important character of the franchise in a more efficient way but I don't prefer ANY other character over him, only actual fighters with their last fight at least in the last decade.
So I disagree, I wouldn't take Gyumaoh or Lunch over 2018 Broly, nor Bulma with a 9mm over Gogeta Blue, only because they are already part of the game in some way and the others are not.
I could drop GT Goku, sure, the Goku slot is covered, but over Chichi? I understand if people wanted Ribrianne, Toppo, Omega, or Kefla, I want them too! but Chichi? she has been yelling at the TV since Gohan was born. Has been a discarded character for 3 decades now.
How could a non-fighter character be better than MUI Goku, the only Goku missing, the strongest of the multiverse? it sounds more like a request for the XV series than FighterZ, where I really find it odd that she is not a part of, I mean we have like 4 Blueberries.

We happen to have a show with a lot of characters, villains and their respective forms, so skipping arcs just because a previous version of a character already is in the game isn't really the way I want a game to be handled. We are destined to be unsatisfied with such a small roster. We should be glad we have the showrunners and then some.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun May 12, 2019 4:32 pm

^ Yeah, agreed overall.

On another subject, some stages like the Tournament of Power arena or the Room of Spirit and Time seem like givens.
But I wonder if the problem for their inclusion comes from the finisher where you throw the opponent on a side cliff.

The ROSAT would have nothing to throw them at on both sides.
And the TOP arena might require that the spectators' seats are lowered than they actually are in the source material for someone to crash into them...

Well, they got no excuse for not including the ice stage from the latest movie for example, it's easy to have ice cliff on the sides. This landscape was shown in so many promos that even if it might not be where the movie ends, it's pretty much the main setting, right?

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Sun May 12, 2019 4:49 pm

For stages where you have nothing to colide with, just have a Team Rocket send off. I don't see why needing to have a destructive finish should stop some iconic stages from making an appearance.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sun May 12, 2019 5:09 pm

I saw the argument about female characters come up in another forum, and I think the reason it's flaring up again is entirely down to Kefla not being in this season. Because every possible excuse people come up with to defend the lack of diversity in the roster doesn't apply to her, so it has people wondering why it's taking so long to get her in when they're on their fifth Goku.

There are very few female fighters in the series that can be justified based on the "rules" that have been set out for the game. 18 is a given, 21 is an OC, Videl was frankly a miracle. As for others, they need to have enough material in the anime or manga to draw on for a fight (ruling out noncombatants like Bulma), they need to be able to fly (ruling out Chi Chi, Launch or Mai), can't be from the "expanded universe" (so no Towa, Supreme Kai of Time or Arale) and at this stage they need to be fairly prominent/important (ruling out the likes of Zangya, Celipa and arguably Ribrianne).

Kefla and her fusees fit all those requirements, in some cases better than characters already in the game (#16 for example has only one fight in the series to draw on, which is why his special, level 1 and level 3 are all Hell's Flash). You can argue that adding characters like the ones I mentioned will be a bridge they have to cross when they eventually get to FighterZ 3, season 7, but for now the bare minimum they could do to shut people up is add the female Super Saiyans.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun May 12, 2019 5:21 pm

^ If you ask me, Kefla should have been here from year 1, being more legitimate than DBZ Broly, DBZ Bardack or Cooler.
As you said, she fits all the requirements, she's a golden opportunity to add a girl to the roster, there's nothing getting in the way of that.
Kataphrut wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 5:09 pm There are very few female fighters in the series that can be justified based on the "rules" that have been set out for the game. 18 is a given, 21 is an OC, Videl was frankly a miracle. As for others, they need to have enough material in the anime or manga to draw on for a fight (ruling out noncombatants like Bulma), they need to be able to fly (ruling out Chi Chi, Launch or Mai), can't be from the "expanded universe" (so no Towa, Supreme Kai of Time or Arale) and at this stage they need to be fairly prominent/important (ruling out the likes of Zangya, Celipa and arguably Ribrianne).
Very good recap of how I see things, right down to the "arguably" for Ribriand.
And "expanded universe" is a very good name I might re-use, setting it apart from the actual core of the franchise.
The expanded universe will surely go unused in this game that already has a limited roster compared to the other DB games and that has to choose carefully each addition.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Sun May 12, 2019 6:07 pm

I think my list would be like this
female characters

after watching some trailer in dokkan battle ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teXGA-5PgiU

I would prefer that caulifla be in the game with kale as support and they could train kefla as a special movement it would feel much more versatile and nobody would complain about more broly ....

Pan GT in general has more movements than her mother ... and I think that together with caulifla they must have been in the game much earlier ...

ribrianne hate her or not I think she has a lot more moves than almost any female character in the series

zangya could be an option ... I would say that it has more movements than videl

from there should be the characters who fought little or nothing
chichi> = cocotte> fasha> west kaioshin etc

male characters

Toppo god for some reason has been elusive for a long time in games

dyspo has a great set of movements based on speed

omega shenron with the 7 dragon balls has a set of movements much more varied so oceanus would no longer be necessary

baby vegeta

minor importance

majuub >kyabe>bojack etc

about characters that do not fight ... yes, the staff can invent moves and attacks but that takes away a lot of the grace ... to this game that was promoted as being faithful to the original material with references to anime and manga

Noitsnothim
Regular

Post by Noitsnothim » Sun May 12, 2019 6:55 pm

Rakurai wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 6:30 pm
Grimlock wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 1:05 pm Is it too much to ask for Xeno Goku? It's the only one missing in this game. :P
P R E A C H.

Idc how many Gokus are out, XGoku is a thing in the franchise and he needs to be represented more especially in video games.
that'll be the only way they'll be able to introduce the Super Saiyan 4s as playable characters

Akamay
Beyond Newbie

Post by Akamay » Sun May 12, 2019 7:22 pm

Given how short Season 2 is when compared to the first one, would there even be any hopes for a Season 3?
People would argue that it'd be better to have FighterZ2, but Xenoverse has been on this "update hell" for a long time now.

Also a bunch of people commenting on female characters that were playable before, there is no love for Vados?
While most of the stuff she did on XV2 was made up, it could still work out.
The whole power level logic doesn't play any factor into the characters chosen for the game, so why not have one of the Angels?

Granted, if the choice between Vados and Whis was given, I'd prefer to have Whis since he's been around for longer and he's been more involved, with the whole training Goku and Vegeta, plus distracting Broly during the movie.