Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

samuraix123
I Live Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by samuraix123 » Mon May 13, 2019 6:16 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 2:14 pm SHOCKING interview about the sets! https://youtu.be/hAx1FUaKe0c

(Disclaimer: Actually a dumb meme. :P )
I actually ordered this because I like it. Can't help what ya'll say but honest to God, that video made me laugh hard !!! If you made this i'll give you credit. It was guuuud. :clap:
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon May 13, 2019 6:39 pm

That "interview" loses its comedic purpose about the DBZ 30th if you know Spanish. Funny dude, he really likes his paella. :P

Anyway, for those who pre-ordered this shitty release, it's the Season Sets - 4:3 AR Edition so you're still getting a crappy product but not as bad as the 16:9 AR Edition. If you feel like this is somehow worth $350 then so be it, some might say you're burning your money but it's your money so you decide what to do with it.

There are far worse ways to misuse money.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon May 13, 2019 6:42 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 6:39 pm Anyway, for those who pre-ordered this shitty release, it's the Season Sets - 4:3 AR Edition so you're still getting a crappy product but not as bad as the 16:9 AR Edition. If you feel like this is somehow worth $350 then so be it, some might say you're burning your money but it's your money so you decide what to do with it.

What's the point of saying this AGAIN?

bigray
Beyond Newbie

Post by bigray » Mon May 13, 2019 6:48 pm

Anyway, for those who pre-ordered this shitty release, it's the Season Sets - 4:3 AR Edition so you're still getting a crappy product but not as bad as the 16:9 AR Edition. If you feel like this is somehow worth $350 then so be it, some might say you're burning your money but it's your money so you decide what to do with it.

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Mon May 13, 2019 7:20 pm

KBABZ wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 6:42 pm
JohnnyCashKami wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 6:39 pm Anyway, for those who pre-ordered this shitty release, it's the Season Sets - 4:3 AR Edition so you're still getting a crappy product but not as bad as the 16:9 AR Edition. If you feel like this is somehow worth $350 then so be it, some might say you're burning your money but it's your money so you decide what to do with it.

I think he secretly wants it so he has to constantly justify it to himself that it isn't worth it, and put down anyone who does :lol:
Hopefully when they go up on ebay for double the price, he won't cave in to his inner demons.

I guess since we are on the topic of repeating ourselves...I say again..this set is far from the perfect release, but you are kidding yourself if you think Funi is giving us anything better for the foreseeable future. So i'm buying it. It's a solid way to own the series in HD and that's all I'm after. If the Dragon Boxes get magically put on blu-ray next year then that's cool, I'll buy that too, and sleep well knowing I have yet another collectible release to own.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

bigray
Beyond Newbie

Post by bigray » Mon May 13, 2019 7:29 pm

Tylerman29 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 7:20 pm
KBABZ wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 6:42 pm

I think he secretly wants it so he has to constantly justify it to himself that it isn't worth it, and put down anyone who does :lol:
Hopefully when they go up on ebay for double the price, he won't cave in to his inner demons.

I guess since we are on the topic of repeating ourselves...I say again..this set is far from the perfect release, but you are kidding yourself if you think Funi is giving us anything better for the foreseeable future. So i'm buying it. It's a solid way to own the series on HD and that's all I'm after. If the Dragon Boxes get magically put on blu-ray next year then that's cool, I'll buy that too, and sleep well knowing I have yet another collectible release to own.
You said it pretty well... Unless you're a collector just buy the dragon boxes. If this collection doubled in price what would you buy? $700 DNR Blu rays or $600 dragon boxes?

I'm a collector so I'm getting both. But I couldn't imagine anyone paying more than the Dragon box price

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Mon May 13, 2019 7:41 pm

bigray wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 7:29 pm You said it pretty well... Unless you're a collector just buy the dragon boxes. If this collection doubled in price what would you buy? $700 DNR Blu rays or $600 dragon boxes?

I'm a collector so I'm getting both. But I couldn't imagine anyone paying more than the Dragon box price
I WISH the dragon boxes were $600...they are mostly over a $1000..which I don't think is anywhere NEAR worth it for non-HD content for anything..they wouldn't look too hot on a modern 4k TV either ..they are showing their age whether the elitists will admit it or not.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon May 13, 2019 8:02 pm

Tylerman29 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 7:41 pm I WISH the dragon boxes were $600...they are mostly over a $1000..which I don't think is anywhere NEAR worth it for non-HD content for anything..they wouldn't look too hot on a modern 4k TV either ..they are showing their age whether the elitists will admit it or not.
It'd be nice if the Dragon Boxes were even, you know... in circulation.

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Mon May 13, 2019 8:14 pm

KBABZ wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 8:02 pm
Tylerman29 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 7:41 pm I WISH the dragon boxes were $600...they are mostly over a $1000..which I don't think is anywhere NEAR worth it for non-HD content for anything..they wouldn't look too hot on a modern 4k TV either ..they are showing their age whether the elitists will admit it or not.
Of course, but everyone is at the mercy of ebay's inflated prices.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon May 13, 2019 8:30 pm

I have actually lucked out and gotten most of them with exception of Box 4 for less than $100, hell i even managed to find a used copy of Dragon Box 1 for a dirt cheap $25 at a local movie store a few years ago so good deals can be had.

Here's the other prices i recall for the other volumes i have gotten so far from eBay and/or Amazon, complete or otherwise.

Box 2: DVD books with discs- $50

Box 3: Complete set with box, DVD books and Dragon Book- $65

Box 5: Complete set with box, DVD books and Dragon Book- $50

Box 6: Complete set with box, DVD books and Dragon Book- $75

Box 7: Discs inside multi disc DVD case- $55

Yeah, i would say i've been quite lucky in getting them but just need to keep an eye out for Box 4. :D
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Mon May 13, 2019 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Mon May 13, 2019 8:34 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 8:30 pm

I have actually lucked out and gotten most of them with exception of Box 4 for less than $100, hell i managed to find a used copy of Dragon Box 1 for a dirt cheap $25 at a local movie store a few years ago so good deals can be had.

Here's the other prices i recall for the other volumes i have gotten so far from eBay and/or Amazon, complete or otherwise.

Hats off to you for being patient and collecting most of them over a few years..but that is not a likely scenario for most people. Although if I was hunting them I would want them complete..otherwise I'd just watch them through other means, it would be a lot easier than spending the time/effort to find them at a reasonable price.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon May 13, 2019 8:39 pm

Tylerman29 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 8:34 pm

I have actually lucked out and gotten most of them with exception of Box 4 for less than $100, hell i managed to find a used copy of Dragon Box 1 for a dirt cheap $25 at a local movie store a few years ago so good deals can be had.

Hats off to you for being patient and collecting most of them over a few years..but that is not a likely scenario for most people. Although if I was hunting them I would want them complete..otherwise I'd just watch them through other means, it would be a lot easier than spending the time/effort to find them at a reasonable price.
I'm just taking whatever i can get because if you look hard enough then good deals can be found, it's all just a matter of looking hard among the scalpers and such so while it has been a long and drawn out process in getting them i still felt it was better than spending the ridiculous amounts that people are asking for complete Dragon Box sets on eBay. There's no way in hell i'm paying $1000 for all seven so getting them individually was really the only feasible way i felt to go about it. Now i am looking out for a decent deal on Box 4. Fingers crossed!!!
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Mon May 13, 2019 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bryesque
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bryesque » Mon May 13, 2019 8:44 pm

I have actually lucked out and gotten most of them with exception of Box 4 for less than $100, hell i even managed to find a used copy of Dragon Box 1 for a dirt cheap $25 at a local movie store a few years ago so good deals can be had. You just have to be persistent and constantly search amidst all the ridiculously overpriced auctions and sellers offering them for several times the original price.

Yeah, i would say i've been quite lucky in getting them but just need to keep an eye out for Box 4. :D
I've bragged... er, said as much in the Purchases thread before, but we managed to find boxes 5, 6, and 7 at a pawn shop for $8 a pop a few years back. Recently found box 2 for around $35. Both times we just got extremely lucky, but... it's always possible!

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon May 13, 2019 8:47 pm

Bryesque wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 8:44 pm
I have actually lucked out and gotten most of them with exception of Box 4 for less than $100, hell i even managed to find a used copy of Dragon Box 1 for a dirt cheap $25 at a local movie store a few years ago so good deals can be had. You just have to be persistent and constantly search amidst all the ridiculously overpriced auctions and sellers offering them for several times the original price.

I've bragged... er, said as much in the Purchases thread before, but we managed to find boxes 5, 6, and 7 at a pawn shop for $8 a pop a few years back. Recently found box 2 for around $35. Both times we just got extremely lucky, but... it's always possible!
Yeah man that's really damn good actually in fact i'd say absolute steals even, especially considering Box 2 is by far the hardest one to get out of the seven for less than ridiculous prices and i definitely am glad i got them for the deals that i did.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Mon May 13, 2019 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Mon May 13, 2019 8:51 pm

Bryesque wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 8:44 pm I've bragged... er, said as much in the Purchases thread before, but we managed to find boxes 5, 6, and 7 at a pawn shop for $8 a pop a few years back. Recently found box 2 for around $35. Both times we just got extremely lucky, but... it's always possible!
This kinda makes me want them less :lol: That's almost like winning the lottery.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon May 13, 2019 8:54 pm

Tylerman29 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 8:51 pm
Bryesque wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 8:44 pm I've bragged... er, said as much in the Purchases thread before, but we managed to find boxes 5, 6, and 7 at a pawn shop for $8 a pop a few years back. Recently found box 2 for around $35. Both times we just got extremely lucky, but... it's always possible!
This kinda makes me want them less :lol: That's almost like winning the lottery.
Like i said, good deals can be found for them in the wild every now and again but you have to be really lucky and stumble into it like Bryesque did or persistently search a lot and weed out deals from among the scalped up auctions and such on eBay as i have.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Mon May 13, 2019 9:24 pm

I'm curious because I don't own a 4k TV but when I was at a friends house he had on ''Lonesome Dove'' (Yes, I'm a redneck so Git!) lol but it looked awful to me. it made it look like a soap opera! So how does the Dragonboxes look? surely it's gotta be different for a cartoon vs a movie or tv series? I haven't gotten an HD tv since they first started coming out so I have no idea lol
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
#1 Paikuhan fan!

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon May 13, 2019 9:26 pm

samuraix123 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 9:24 pm I'm curious because I don't own a 4k TV but when I was at a friends house he had on ''Lonesome Dove'' (Yes, I'm a redneck so Git!) lol but it looked awful to me. it made it look like a soap opera! So how does the Dragonboxes look? surely it's gotta be different for a cartoon vs a movie or tv series? I haven't gotten an HD tv since they first started coming out so I have no idea lol
I mean they look decent overall on my HD TV, but for the most part i just watch my ripped copies of them on my computer and they look just fine there.

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Mon May 13, 2019 9:50 pm

samuraix123 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 9:24 pm I'm curious because I don't own a 4k TV but when I was at a friends house he had on ''Lonesome Dove'' (Yes, I'm a redneck so Git!) lol but it looked awful to me. it made it look like a soap opera! So how does the Dragonboxes look? surely it's gotta be different for a cartoon vs a movie or tv series? I haven't gotten an HD tv since they first started coming out so I have no idea lol
Sounds like he had some sort of high refresh rate or motion clarity effect turned on. That is what makes things look like "soap opera" effect. Has nothing to do with it being a 4k Tv. He just has his TV calibrated poorly.

My green and blue bricks look fairly decent but the difference is quite apparent when watching something like the level set, remastered Movie funi blus or Kai blu rays..my 4k disc player has pretty good upscale but the difference is enough to where I hesitate to watch DVDs anymore if I have the option not to.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Mon May 13, 2019 10:00 pm

Tylerman29 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 9:50 pm
Sounds like he had some sort of high refresh rate or motion clarity effect turned on. That is what makes things look like "soap opera" effect. Has nothing to do with it being a 4k Tv. He just has his TV calibrated poorly.

My green and blue bricks look fairly decent but the difference is quite apparent when watching something like the level set, remastered Movie funi blus or Kai blu rays..my 4k disc player has pretty good upscale but the difference is enough to where I hesitate to watch DVDs anymore if I have the option not to.
It's rare that I'll buy DVDs anymore unless there's something out there that hasn't been released on bluray. I just watch Blurays on my ps4.
#1 Paikuhan fan!