"Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - (Non) Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

vashter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - (Non) Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by vashter » Mon May 13, 2019 8:35 pm

Chuquita wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 8:23 pm
IntangibleFancy wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 7:43 pm
Chuquita wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 7:42 pm チエーン is just "chain" written in katakana isn't it?

Where on Twitter is this?
It's from that twitter account that keeps getting linked here.

https://mobile.twitter.com/animetv_jp
Thank you! What's interesting about these guys is I can't find a website. They have social media, but no website.

There used to be a tv program with the same name that went off the air about a year before the account was created, but who knows if they're related: https://ja.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%82% ... E3%83%A1TV
https://imgur.com/a/iPgQWvq they been saying this for months, this got update on may 9 on goku day... THEN recenlty a new tweet came in a few hours ago.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue May 14, 2019 12:48 am

I think this is the page that'll eventually have the Toei financial report, but I'm not completely sure. http://corp.toei-anim.co.jp/en/ir/materials/count.php
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue May 14, 2019 12:57 am

I'm a bit out of the loop here: so the financial report is out and since projected numbers are lower than last year's it's a sign we might not be seeing the series anytime soon? Or did I misunderstand?

vashter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by vashter » Tue May 14, 2019 1:02 am

Michsi wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 12:57 am I'm a bit out of the loop here: so the financial report is out and since projected numbers are lower than last year's it's a sign we might not be seeing the series anytime soon? Or did I misunderstand?
it might be japan only but not sure if that world wide, need someone translate it.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Tue May 14, 2019 1:13 am

Michsi wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 12:57 am I'm a bit out of the loop here: so the financial report is out and since projected numbers are lower than last year's it's a sign we might not be seeing the series anytime soon? Or did I misunderstand?
It's actually the opposite. The last fiscal year followed the end of the tv series into the Broly movie hype. If they intend to assure similar gains - and they do, judging by those projections - they're almost certainly planning something to keep the momentum going. And the final numbers almost always end up surpassing the projected amount, they tend to play it low.

Btw, those were Bandai-Namco's, Toei's is not out yet.

vashter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by vashter » Tue May 14, 2019 1:18 am

Araki wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 1:13 am
It's actually the opposite. The last fiscal year followed the end of the tv series into the Broly movie hype. If they intend to assure similar gains - and they do, judging by those projections - they're almost certainly planning something to keep the momentum going. And the final numbers almost always end up surpassing the projected amount, they tend to play it low.

Btw, those were Bandai-Namco's, Toei's is not out yet.
You certain it Bandai? where you see it at?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue May 14, 2019 3:53 am

Chuquita wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 12:48 am I think this is the page that'll eventually have the Toei financial report, but I'm not completely sure. http://corp.toei-anim.co.jp/en/ir/materials/count.php
Here it is:
http://corp.toei-anim.co.jp/ir/materials/library.php

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue May 14, 2019 4:57 am

Toei’s full financial report for FY2019 is out: http://corp.toei-anim.co.jp/ir/materials/library.php
As usual, it includes their schedule up until Q2 2020 and forecast for the full year.
Let’s jump up to the important stuff: there’s no mention of Dragon Ball Super’s return to TV in the 2nd quarter of FY2020.
The English report has not been uploaded yet but this much can be seen by everyone. Some rough translations I have received say that the only mentions of Dragon Ball is of Broly’s movie, as they indicate the North American release (1/16) in FY2019 4Q and the Chinese release (5/24) in 1Q FY2020.
This report is less dense than Toei’s usual reports, as you can see with their schedule.

But, as usual, there’s a (important) disclaimer right at the end:
This is their way of saying that in these forecasts and schedules they only consider information available at this time (so stuff that’s been publicly announced). Which means that for those still hoping for Super to come out in July (unlikely as that is right now) there’s still hope. The fact it isn’t featured in this report doesn’t rule out the possibility of it being announced in the next few weeks to then return in July. But I admit that’s very unlikely and, realistically, they would have announced it by now to include it in this financial report considering how big of a investors’ confidence boost it would have been.

As for the forecasts for FY2020, here are their numbers:
From top to bottom it translates as:
NET SALES, SG&A, OPERATING INCOME, ORDINARY INCOME, NET INCOME
SG&A stands for Selling, General and Administrative Expenses which is why they are always forecasted to increase.
The figures are in million of yen.

This is a very safe and conservative forecast as expected. They expect a 25.3% decrease of net income compared to FY2019 (while last year they only expected a 19.7% decrease) but we’re talking about bigger numbers, and 11.375 million yen is very high and so is 8.500 so it’s expected for them to get more conservative the higher the net income gets.
The key word here, as always, is CONSERVATIVE. It’s a golden rule for businesses to stay conservative with their forecasts. So, don’t jump to conclusions based on these numbers.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue May 14, 2019 5:05 am

So, it's still possible that their internal forecast spreadsheets look different? The disclaimer is to ensure that they are not obligated to disclose information about upcoming projects?

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue May 14, 2019 5:16 am

Michsi wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 5:05 am So, it's still possible that their internal forecast spreadsheets look different? The disclaimer is to ensure that they are not obligated to disclose information about upcoming projects?
Yes, exactly this. They would have no legal obligations to release information they are still not willing to release because of their marketing strategy or whatever else.
Like, let’s say they start working on a new movie tomorrow and release it in July (it would never happen but it’s just for example’s sake) they could do it and nobody could tell them anything about it.
At the end of the day forecasts are just what they are, forecasts. As far as I know they have no obligations to release them either but do it because it’s something that interests investors.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue May 14, 2019 5:23 am

emperior wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 5:16 am
Michsi wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 5:05 am So, it's still possible that their internal forecast spreadsheets look different? The disclaimer is to ensure that they are not obligated to disclose information about upcoming projects?
Yes, exactly this. They would have no legal obligations to release information they are still not willing to release because of their marketing strategy or whatever else.
Like, let’s say they start working on a new movie tomorrow and release it in July (it would never happen but it’s just for example’s sake) they could do it and nobody could tell them anything about it.
At the end of the day forecasts are just what they are, forecasts. As far as I know they have no obligations to release them either but do it because it’s something that interests investors.
Thanks for confirming.

I mean, yes, things look pretty grim for the July theory, but hey, technically they could make the announcement a week before air date. Optimism :D
I think we should just chill and wait for now.

Kitaro does seem like a pretty big indicator against a new DB series for the moment. I don't think they've said anything about it changing time slot, did they?

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue May 14, 2019 5:34 am

Michsi wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 5:23 am
emperior wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 5:16 am
Thanks for confirming.

I mean, yes, things look pretty grim for the July theory, but hey, technically they could make the announcement a week before air date. Optimism :D
I think we should just chill and wait for now.

Kitaro does seem like a pretty big indicator against a new DB series for the moment. I don't think they've said anything about it changing time slot, did they?
They didn’t.
Some time ago they announced Kitaro was entering its second season and I doubt it’s going to be a super short one or that the show will be changing time slots.
Theoretically for a show as big as Super is they should have no problems finding a new timeslot for it (even if it is a temporary one until Kitaro ends).
Some people were speculating about Super possibly taking a Saturday evening time slot in the “golden time”, in a timeslot where One Piece used to air before it got moved to Sunday mornings. It seems like this time slot is a big deal in Japan.

But they could also move Kitaro to a different one and put Super back at 9AM before One Piece, who knows.
It’s very unlikely for Kitaro of all things to hold back a new Dragon Ball show, so that shouldn’t be a concern.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue May 14, 2019 5:47 am

emperior wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 5:34 am
Theoretically for a show as big as Super is they should have no problems finding a new timeslot for it (even if it is a temporary one until Kitaro ends).
Some people were speculating about Super possibly taking a Saturday evening time slot in the “golden time”, in a timeslot where One Piece used to air before it got moved to Sunday mornings. It seems like this time slot is a big deal in Japan.
Yeah, but if memory serves, One Piece was moved in the early- mid 2000's precisely to save ratings, because it wasn't doing that well in that time slot anymore. DB's ratings were usually smaller than One Piece's.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue May 14, 2019 5:50 am

Michsi wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 5:47 am
emperior wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 5:34 am
Yeah, but if memory serves, One Piece was moved in the early- mid 2000's precisely to save ratings, because it wasn't doing that well in that time slot anymore. DB's ratings were usually smaller than One Piece's.
They could try the slot again with Super, and in the case it doesn’t pull good enough ratings (even if for DB what’s important is the sales they make through it with merchandising, sponsors etcetera and not the TV ratings) they could always move it to the 9AM Sunday time slot once Kitano is over.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

vashter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by vashter » Tue May 14, 2019 7:41 am

Probably a late announcement like RE:Zero came in
Edit: are those report in good sign kinda of? Plus is that the full report?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue May 14, 2019 9:12 am

So the odds are running down? I've got mixed feelings about this, but my need to focus on finishing some important projects of my own is keeping me from being disappointed. Super can be very distracting after all.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 3:53 am
Chuquita wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 12:48 am I think this is the page that'll eventually have the Toei financial report, but I'm not completely sure. http://corp.toei-anim.co.jp/en/ir/materials/count.php
Here it is:
http://corp.toei-anim.co.jp/ir/materials/library.php
Many thanks! It doesn't load on my phone, but on my laptop it should.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue May 14, 2019 9:16 am

Konja7 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 7:24 pm
IntangibleFancy wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:57 amI'm positive I'm not the only person losing their patience, infact, I'm confident that there's at least a handful that are losing interest/given up hope after the 9th.
Why do you think Toei would care that youtubers make a handful of USA fans losing their patience?

I mean a weekly anime for Super will be mainly directed to Japanese people.

If your point it is that this will affect negatively Super. That reminds me when Broly was announced and some people in this forum said he is a divisive character and his appearance will affect in a negative way the income of the movie.
Actually, Dragon Ball is a huge export item for TOEI to both Americas and Europe and you can thank US for airing the show late and starting the revival of Dragon Ball with DBZ Budokai in 2002 at first, as Dragon Ball slowly ''died'' with the end of DBGT and Dr. Slump remake that ran after and now this wave goes globally since. So, they do care, but on the other hand they can care less about youtubers :)
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Konja7
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Konja7 » Tue May 14, 2019 10:05 am

MCDaveG wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 9:16 am Actually, Dragon Ball is a huge export item for TOEI to both Americas and Europe and you can thank US for airing the show late and starting the revival of Dragon Ball with DBZ Budokai in 2002 at first, as Dragon Ball slowly ''died'' with the end of DBGT and Dr. Slump remake that ran after and now this wave goes globally since. So, they do care, but on the other hand they can care less about youtubers :)
I know Dragon Ball is a huge export item. Although how important is the foreign market compared with the Japanese market is debatable.

However, my main point is the weekly anime of Super (that may return this year) will be mainly directed to the Japanese audience. After all, the weekly anime would be broadcast in Japan.

So, regarding the announce of the return of Super 2 in Japan, Toei will care mainly about Japanese audience.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue May 14, 2019 10:37 am

Konja7 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:05 am
MCDaveG wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 9:16 am Actually, Dragon Ball is a huge export item for TOEI to both Americas and Europe and you can thank US for airing the show late and starting the revival of Dragon Ball with DBZ Budokai in 2002 at first, as Dragon Ball slowly ''died'' with the end of DBGT and Dr. Slump remake that ran after and now this wave goes globally since. So, they do care, but on the other hand they can care less about youtubers :)
I know Dragon Ball is a huge export item. Although how important is the foreign market compared with the Japanese market is debatable.

However, my main point is the weekly anime of Super (that may return this year) will be mainly directed to the Japanese audience. After all, the weekly anime would be broadcast in Japan.

So, regarding the announce of the return of Super 2 in Japan, Toei will care mainly about Japanese audience.
Things are changing. Broly was specifically brought back because of his overseas appeal, they confirmed it. It’s also the same reason why Kale was invented, due to Broly’s popularity overseas.
They even used the overseas spelling “Broly” instead of the Japanese one which was “Broli”.
When Super first came out they still hadn’t realised how popular DB is internationally (simulcasts only started with episode 61) but now they are very aware of it which is why the DB room was even created in the first place.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

vashter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by vashter » Tue May 14, 2019 10:40 am

emperior wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:37 am
Konja7 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:05 am

Things are changing. Broly was specifically brought back because of his overseas appeal, they confirmed it. It’s also the same reason why Kale was invented, due to Broly’s popularity overseas.
They even used the overseas spelling “Broly” instead of the Japanese one which was “Broli”.
When Super first came out they still hadn’t realised how popular DB is internationally (simulcasts only started with episode 61) but now they are very aware of it which is why the DB room was even created in the first place.
simulcasts? such as example netflix, hulu, amazonprime, cruchyroll etc?