Who was more useful in the ToP? Krillin or Tien?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Who was more useful in the ToP? Krillin or Tien?

Post by DestructoDisc » Fri May 17, 2019 12:57 pm

Both were eliminated early in the manga by Frost without really accomplishing anything, but in the anime they both did quite a lot. Krillin saved 18, helped Roshi eliminate that wife-beater shirt wearing parrot from U10, helped 18 eliminate that wolf guy, and eliminated Majora by throwing his dirty, unwashed shoe at him. He got eliminated by Frost after he let his guard down, then got trashed by Beerus, Shin, 17 and even by his wife, 18, for the way he got thrown off the ring. Tien lasted a lot longer, helped Roshi eliminate The Preecho (best name ever), and sacrificed himself to eliminate Hermila, who gave a lot of trouble to Gohan and Big Green. Unlike Krillin, Tien got praised by Beerus for his actions.

So, what do you think? Who was overall more useful in the ToP? Krillin or Tien?
Last edited by DestructoDisc on Fri May 17, 2019 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wolflonnie
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Who was more useful in the ToP? Krillin or Tien?

Post by wolflonnie » Fri May 17, 2019 1:14 pm

I think they're about equal, with Krillin having a slight edge by virtue of saving his wife, who was very useful later on.

Nokra
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nokra » Fri May 17, 2019 1:41 pm

DestructoDisc wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:57 pm Both were eliminated early in the manga by Frost without really accomplishing anything, but in the anime they both did quite a lot. Krillin saved 18, helped Roshi eliminate that wife-beater shirt wearing parrot from U10, helped 18 eliminate that wolf guy, and eliminated Majora by throwing his dirty, unwashed shoe at him. He got eliminated by Frost after he let his guard down, then got trashed by Beerus, Shin, 17 and even by his wife, 18, for the way he got thrown off the ring. Tien lasted a lot longer, helped Roshi eliminate The Preecho (best name ever), and sacrificed himself to eliminate Hermila, who gave a lot of trouble to Gohan and Big Green. Unlike Krillin, Tien got praised by Beerus for his actions.

So, what do you think? Who was overall more useful in the ToP? Krillin or Tien?
Neither. They both were jokes and had laughable eliminations. But at least they didn't get knocked out of the ring by a bug though *cough* piccolo sucks *cough*

Zamasu55
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Zamasu55 » Fri May 17, 2019 1:43 pm

Krillin literally saved 18 from being eliminated at the very start of the Tournament. This lead to 18 sacrificing herself to save her brother from Aniraza. Later on, 17 wins the Tournament of Power.

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Fri May 17, 2019 2:48 pm

Neither, really. If anything, Tien did worse. But they both made contributions for their team.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Fri May 17, 2019 3:17 pm

I would say Krillin ultimately make a bigger contribution. Like others explained, his actions resulted in #18 being saved to live to fight another minute or several dozen. Tenshinhan's role seemed like more of an afterthought than anything. It's sad because I think he has one of the more interesting movesets on the team. All we see him utilise is the Multi-Form and Kikoho iirc. Theoretically, his Mafuba might have come in handy in defeating much stronger opponents. I could see his biggest elimination being someone like Kunshi, Magetta, or any of the more fourth place-esque fighters of the various teams.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sat May 18, 2019 7:35 am

wolflonnie wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 1:14 pm I think they're about equal, with Krillin having a slight edge by virtue of saving his wife, who was very useful later on.
I was going to say Tien since he lasted longer, but this is a very good point that wins Krillin my vote.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sun May 19, 2019 2:34 am

Zamasu55 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 1:43 pm Krillin literally saved 18 from being eliminated at the very start of the Tournament. This lead to 18 sacrificing herself to save her brother from Aniraza. Later on, 17 wins the Tournament of Power.
Pretty much. Krillin went out early, but he contributed to the team effort and got some runs on the board. Tien didn't really do that- the sniper was hardly a threat by the time he got there thanks to Goku and Vegeta taking out the spotter, and anyone could have got the assist on the Preecho. That's all he did.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Sun May 19, 2019 5:18 pm

If Kuririn gets credit for saving anime 18 Ten gets credit for saving Roshi. Word of god is The weird power people would have caused trouble later.

Manga Ten did better. He stalled Frost just enough for Goku to save Roshi , and Roshi later helped Goku figure out UI
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.