Which Story Arc or Movie did Goku Character Best and Why?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheUltimateVegito
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Which Story Arc or Movie did Goku Character Best and Why?

Post by TheUltimateVegito » Fri May 17, 2019 6:53 pm

Out of curiosity. You can also choose one Story arc and one Movie if you like.
YouTube account:
https://www.youtube.com/user/SuperVegitoSSJ2

PSN: Songojames

My Reddit account is also Songojames

sintzu
Banned

Re: Which Story Arc or Movie did Goku Character Best and Why?

Post by sintzu » Fri May 17, 2019 7:25 pm

I think it's hard to say as he developed and changed throughout the manga's run. As the story went on, he became smarter and more aware about how the world worked. If I had to pick one part of DB where Goku was at his best I think it would be the Buu arc as that's where he acted the most mature.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ruler9871
Regular

Post by ruler9871 » Fri May 17, 2019 8:28 pm

Its either the Namek or Buu sagas as far as overall portrayal and characterization.
zarmack wrote:The whole "Dragonball is only supposed to be light and funny" mentality that exist in a lot of the fandom is in many ways even dumber than the "edgeload" side of the fandom. You know, the contrarians who think DB should be a Slice-of-Life series, the folks who worship Pre-Raditz Dragonball uncritically, the folks who downplay and often flat-out deny that Dragonball is an action series, the folks who try to push that false argument that none of the serious moments in the series were mean't to be taken seriously, etc.

Dragonball doesn't have a single tone. It has both silly and serious moments, both humor and drama, just like real life. The idea that a work of fiction should be only all-comedy or all-serious is unnatural and frankly, retarded.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri May 17, 2019 10:29 pm

In Dark Demon Realm and Prison Planet sagas.

Never before was Goku such an interesting character. All thanks to how the lore behind him and his interactions were handled. I tend to don't really care about any protagonist in general, and most of the things that happen to them I can only attritute to the fact that they are the protagonists, but Xeno Goku is really a fascinating character (hell, even Chi-Chi would be happy, Goku finally found a full-time job :lol:). And it goes without saying that Xeno Goku has the best design of all Gokus.

The same goes to Xeno Vegeta and Xeno Goten. Though in Vegeta's case, I really like his development from Saiyan saga to Majin Buu saga. It's a really unexpected turn for his character in general and its execution was quite good.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

NewKakarot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NewKakarot » Sat May 18, 2019 1:12 am

I think the Saiyan Arc handled his character best, with him rejecting his Saiyan heritage and instead seeing himself as an Earthling. I just think it makes the most sense for a guy like Goku

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat May 18, 2019 3:54 am

It’s definitely the Saiyan arc for me, no doubt about it. There Goku was actually very central to the plot and was the driving force of it. Ever since Raditz stepped on Earth it was all about Goku, which is why I believe this arc did Goku the best as it’s the story in which Goku is the most protagonist he has ever been.

It also portrayed him in different situations and with different reactions, defining him more as a character.
We saw him as a father, his reaction to being told of his origins, being scared when going into a fight, sacrificing himself for the sake of defeating his brother who he was also willing to spare, dying for the first time, training in the Otherworld to defeat the other 2 incoming Saiyans, wanting to avenge his comrades, telling Vegeta that through hard work even trash can overcome the elites, realising he was the one who killed his Grandpa and then even sparing Vegeta because he put up a good fight.

No arc ever depicted Goku in so many different situations and which such diverse reactions from him.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Nokra
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nokra » Sat May 18, 2019 8:12 am

Super story arc Goku is best. He's most like what toriyama wants.

ruler9871
Regular

Post by ruler9871 » Sat May 18, 2019 1:29 pm

NewKakarot wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 1:12 am I think the Saiyan Arc handled his character best, with him rejecting his Saiyan heritage and instead seeing himself as an Earthling. I just think it makes the most sense for a guy like Goku
So racial self-hatred is best for him? That's sounds so wrong on multiple levels.
zarmack wrote:The whole "Dragonball is only supposed to be light and funny" mentality that exist in a lot of the fandom is in many ways even dumber than the "edgeload" side of the fandom. You know, the contrarians who think DB should be a Slice-of-Life series, the folks who worship Pre-Raditz Dragonball uncritically, the folks who downplay and often flat-out deny that Dragonball is an action series, the folks who try to push that false argument that none of the serious moments in the series were mean't to be taken seriously, etc.

Dragonball doesn't have a single tone. It has both silly and serious moments, both humor and drama, just like real life. The idea that a work of fiction should be only all-comedy or all-serious is unnatural and frankly, retarded.

ruler9871
Regular

Post by ruler9871 » Sat May 18, 2019 1:30 pm

Nokra wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 8:12 am Super story arc Goku is best. He's most like what toriyama wants.
That doesn't automatically make it good (and Toriyama has shown some questionable choices and taste several times).

NewKakarot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NewKakarot » Sat May 18, 2019 5:19 pm

ruler9871 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 1:29 pm So racial self-hatred is best for him? That's sounds so wrong on multiple levels.
Only sounds wrong when you put it like that lol. But it's more that he's following the ideals he learned as an Earthling as opposed to those of the Saiyans. Not really about race.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat May 18, 2019 8:51 pm

Saiyan arc Goku stands to me as the best written Goku ever was in any Dragon Ball story arc. He's central to the plot, but doesn't feel to much like a plot-device (Namek/Freeza arc), his eagerness for battle feels wonderfully balanced with his desire to protect those he care for with feeling as though his blood knight traits are being unnecessarily exaggerated to the detriment of the plot or his characterisation (Cell arc) and his motive to handling the central antagonist doesn't feel like it being abritrality shifted or twisted to meet the desires of artificially extending the plot.

Battle Of Gods is a close second.