"Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - (Non) Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - (Non) Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri May 17, 2019 8:32 pm

Saikyo no Senshi wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 2:07 pm Baggie can explain in detail, but most DB merch is aimed at 15+ age group. Bandai even acknowledged that the core fan layer are adults. Given, none of its merch ever rank in top 10 for kids, it is pretty obvious where its fanbase lies.

I'm sure kids watch DB, the kids ratings it got were decent(although it collapsed after Nichiasa change), but the driving force behind the franchise are adults, more specifically men in the 20-50 age group. Its no surprise Super cashed on nostalgia so hard.
Out of all the movie merch we got kids got very very little, all they got was some wafer stickers, puzzles and colouring books. Adults have money to burn and so Bandai realised they can just milk us for example Bandai's HG Fusion Set sold out 2 reservations and they opened a third one...the set cost ¥10,000! The set contains 3 re used moulds too from the regular Gashapon (which cost ¥300). Yet Bandai know they can pull shit like that because fans will buy regardless and that's exactly what has happened.

Some super crazy fans bought a B&W Gogeta figure that was limited to 100 for up too ¥240,000!!! That is just f**king nuts. Thankfully none of that went to Bandai's pocket (since the figures were won via competition of fans handing in ticket stubs which also was a way to get fans repeat viewings) but this just shows that fans have money now.

Also back in December Banpresto released t shirts to be won at gamestations, they were adult sized. Seriously kids are just not cared about at all when it comes to merch, even those wafer stickers seems the adult fans are way more into that aswell.

You are right kids may watch modern DB but they aren't as important as people like us watching.

This is why I absolutely hate the kids excuse Toei use and it's a blatant lie but they know they can get away without putting effort in writing by saying it's for kids. And unfortunately with the recent old movie BDs having some censorship shows that Toei have gotten to the point where they are believing their lie.

Another thing Bandai have embraced is this whole canon and non canon thing, and know fans know the difference. For example this August they are re-releasing some Gogeta figures from December Base, SS, SSGSS.... but they did a massive f**k it and decided to give SS Gogeta an orange vest:
Kids might be confused at that but this isn't aimed at them thus Bandai don't care and can get away doing things like that. SS Gogeta with an orange vest is a good idea for an easter egg type thing for fans.

louisascommie
Beyond Newbie

Post by louisascommie » Fri May 17, 2019 11:23 pm

Yeah kids suragates arent even a thing anymore like gohan goten and trunks did stuff as kids in the original manga

but goten and trunks are relegated to slice of life and have little relevance to main arcs, so there's really no stand in for "little kid who fights" be like a bat man show where a robin and batgirl existed but they only showed up when there was no villian around.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat May 18, 2019 4:06 am

This whole “DB is aimed to kids” talk was always nonsense and I bet everyone who went to watch the movie in theatres realised it. It also doesn’t help how the nostalgia stuff they keep including is obviously aimed to long time fans, who coincidentally are also the ones who wanted Broly and Gogeta to become canon and the ones who wanted to see more of Future Trunks.

Surely Toriyama will keep writing stories in his way because that’s what he’s always done and I don’t think anyone would want Dragon Ball to become something it never wasn’t, but at least one would expect from Toei to give some more thought when filling into the blanks of Toriyama’s outlines to avoid plot holes and inconsistencies.

I lost hopes to a potential comeback of more blood because it seems like they want DB to be as marketable as possible, but at least I can hope for better written stories with more care for its consistency and possibly with a tone more similar to the stories we got in Dragon Ball Z, where there was actually tension. I can’t see them being able to have that same tension without bringing the story after the end of the manga though.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Konja7
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Konja7 » Sat May 18, 2019 7:36 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 8:32 pmThis is why I absolutely hate the kids excuse Toei use and it's a blatant lie but they know they can get away without putting effort in writing by saying it's for kids. And unfortunately with the recent old movie BDs having some censorship shows that Toei have gotten to the point where they are believing their lie.
Has Toei make an excuse that the quality of Super is due to kids?

I don't remember Toei saying something like that.

emperior wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 4:06 am This whole “DB is aimed to kids” talk was always nonsense and I bet everyone who went to watch the movie in theatres realised it. It also doesn’t help how the nostalgia stuff they keep including is obviously aimed to long time fans, who coincidentally are also the ones who wanted Broly and Gogeta to become canon and the ones who wanted to see more of Future Trunks.

Surely Toriyama will keep writing stories in his way because that’s what he’s always done and I don’t think anyone would want Dragon Ball to become something it never wasn’t, but at least one would expect from Toei to give some more thought when filling into the blanks of Toriyama’s outlines to avoid plot holes and inconsistencies.

I lost hopes to a potential comeback of more blood because it seems like they want DB to be as marketable as possible, but at least I can hope for better written stories with more care for its consistency and possibly with a tone more similar to the stories we got in Dragon Ball Z, where there was actually tension. I can’t see them being able to have that same tension without bringing the story after the end of the manga though.
One thing to mention is that an anime aimed at teenagers or adults does not guarantee coherence at all (especially if you refer to the power level).

In fact, some of these animes care less about the rules of their world or powers than animes for kids.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Sat May 18, 2019 12:46 pm

Don't know if this comes 100% from Toei Animation but here it says that Super's target group is boys 6-12 while One Piece's target group is boys 6-12 and young adults 15-35. Source

Weird...

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat May 18, 2019 12:53 pm

TheRed259 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 12:46 pmDon't know if this comes 100% from Toei Animation but here it says that Super's target group is boys 6-12 while One Piece's target group is boys 6-12 and young adults 15-35.
Shonen in general is enjoyed by kids and adults. It doesn't (in most cases) have anything kids can't see but it's writing is good enough to attract adults as well.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Sat May 18, 2019 4:21 pm

13 days until May ends. Despite my paranoia, I really do hope that Twitter account was right about late May.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Sat May 18, 2019 6:04 pm

Shit being mistranslated and swaths of people taking it as gospel would actually be par for the course in this fanbase.

Shounen
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shounen » Sat May 18, 2019 7:04 pm

TheRed259 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 12:46 pm while One Piece's target group is boys 6-12 and young adults 15-35.
What about 13-14? :think:

mfwlegend3
Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Sat May 18, 2019 7:16 pm

TheRed259 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 12:46 pm Don't know if this comes 100% from Toei Animation but here it says that Super's target group is boys 6-12 while One Piece's target group is boys 6-12 and young adults 15-35. Source

Weird...
“and Saint Seiya fans”

No shit.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Sat May 18, 2019 7:18 pm

Shaddy wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 6:04 pm Shit being mistranslated and swaths of people taking it as gospel would actually be par for the course in this fanbase.
But them moving the goal post when their prediction failed seems sketchy as hell and I seriously doubt many people are going to call them out on it. The majority of the recent post hardly even talk about the date change or whether or not we'll actually see Super in the near future. People are just changing the subject. (The "it's for kids" discussion deserves its own thread)

Now that I think about it, it seems like both Geekdom (and maybe Ajay) are waiting to see if that literal who Twitter account has some truth to it. If it does work they'll somehow take the glory and if it doesn't they'll cling to Terez's July announcement theory so their fans can hop on the hype train for another two months.

I don't know..maybe I have my tinfoil hat on too tight.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Sat May 18, 2019 7:33 pm

They never said "it's FOR SURE going to air on TV in July", they said "our sources told us to look forward to July". That July was the announcement and not the air date is an annoying, but totally understandable misunderstanding. That the announcement date for a presumed July airing would be in April or May is a totally rational prediction. You're acting like the people delivering news to us are trying to swindle us into a bunch of shit they made up, when there was never any guarantee about anything they were saying other than something happening in July, which by my estimate can and likely will still be true. If you got burned by a prediction that was, y'know, a prediction rather than stated as an absolute fact, then it's kinda your fault for not knowing the difference. Anyone can make an educated guess, and there was nothing wrong with Ajay or Geekdom's unless their information was misunderstood (which it looks like it was, but not on purpose). There's nothing to "call them out" for unless you're attaching things other people have said to them.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Sat May 18, 2019 10:11 pm

Shaddy wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 7:33 pm They never said "it's FOR SURE going to air on TV in July",
Hence the term "prediction"
Shaddy wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 7:33 pm They said "our sources told us to look forward to July". That July was the announcement and not the air date is an annoying, but totally understandable misunderstanding
Between the two of them they've had a handful worth of sources (which Ajay frequently checked with) and no one from either side thought to talk about whether or not July was an announcement date instead of an air date?
Shaddy wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 7:33 pm That the announcement date for a presumed July airing would be in April or May is a totally rational prediction.
A prediction that didn't seem likely until we finally found out that Super wasn't getting any May news.
Shaddy wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 7:33 pm You're acting like the people delivering news to us are trying to swindle us into a bunch of shit they made up
There hasn't been any news so far, just speculation. This could have been done on our own without the promise of sources and false hype.
Shaddy wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 7:33 pm If you got burned by a prediction that was, y'know, a prediction rather than stated as an absolute fact, then it's kinda your fault for not knowing the difference.
Shaddy wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 7:33 pm Anyone can make an educated guess, and there was nothing wrong with Ajay or Geekdom's unless their information was misunderstood (which it looks like it was, but not on purpose). There's nothing to "call them out" for unless you're attaching things other people have said to them
Ajay wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 10:18 am I don't have anything to say, really. I'm as upset and confused as you all are. I even reached out once again just the other day to be sure, and was once again told definitively July. Heck, they even spoke about the damn character sheets. I don't understand, but at this point, all I can do is apologise for reporting on what appears to be untrue. I cannot fathom a marketing plan that would announce anything later than today, so all my expectations are dead.
Ajay seems to think anything later than the 9th seems like an unlikely announcement date. For July at least.

And Geekdom didn't seem to think May was an educated guess. He told his detractors they'd be apologizing to him in May.

I really wanted to believe, but if July fails, I can't see Super returning in the very near future.

louisascommie
Beyond Newbie

Post by louisascommie » Sat May 18, 2019 11:32 pm

At this piont we will get a Winds of winter release date first

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Sat May 18, 2019 11:36 pm

E-Celebs and their fanbase will just keep moving the goalposts and coming up with ridiculous rationalizations instead of just admitting they were wrong

Spencer_23
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Spencer_23 » Sat May 18, 2019 11:58 pm

RecolorSaiyan wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 11:36 pm E-Celebs and their fanbase will just keep moving the goalposts and coming up with ridiculous rationalizations instead of just admitting they were wrong
For real. It’s embarrassing how bad people are trying to defend Geekdom & others lmao.

Got no problem with someone being wrong, do have a problem with talking down to others and saying “you’ll be apologizing” 😂 fucking loser talk over a tv show lmao

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Sun May 19, 2019 12:08 am

Just today I saw people insinuating that toei hasn't announced super cause its return was leaked by youtubers and fans constantly spamming their social media with calls to bring back super cause clearly toei would sabotage their own financial health and marketing of their #1 moneymaker because of that

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Sun May 19, 2019 12:29 am

IntangibleFancy wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:11 pmHence the term "prediction"
Yes. A prediction, something not worth taking as fact. It's only worth getting upset over it like you and many others in this thread have if you already did that.
IntangibleFancy wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:11 pmBetween the two of them they've had a handful worth of sources (which Ajay frequently checked with) and no one from either side thought to talk about whether or not July was an announcement date instead of an air date?
Because the first run aired in July. Because "the show's coming back look toward July" can pretty easily be read as "the show's coming back in July". It's a mistake anyone could've made. And again, it's a lot simpler to just conclude that they made an educated guess that was wrong. That's not an evil crime, you see.
IntangibleFancy wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:11 pm A prediction that didn't seem likely until we finally found out that Super wasn't getting any May news.
Uh...yeah. Because when your prediction is wrong, you reexamine what brought you there. And they found that "you'll see it in July" does not necessarily mean "it's 100% airing on TV in July".
IntangibleFancy wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:11 pm There hasn't been any news so far, just speculation. This could have been done on our own without the promise of sources and false hype.
That's assuming that because their prediction was wrong, the source was wrong. I'm still pretty sure that there's no conspiracy theory leading to both Ajay and Geekdom giving false dates for no reason, and them being wrong about a self-projected announcement date does not affect the much more substantiated "something in July".
IntangibleFancy wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:11 pm<image>
Yes you're very cute and funny, but you're still having this overblown "they LIED TO US!!!!1!!!11!!!!" reaction to what was never anything OTHER than a prediction. Your vocabulary doesn't change your attitude here.
IntangibleFancy wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:11 pm Ajay seems to think anything later than the 9th seems like an unlikely announcement date. For July at least.
Yes...because, as he himself has admitted, the show's probably being announced in July, not aired. What is so complicated here? They got a thing wrong, and changed their tune to something that makes sense with the information we have versus what's actually happened.
IntangibleFancy wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:11 pm And Geekdom didn't seem to think May was an educated guess. He told his detractors they'd be apologizing to him in May.
Well, that's still more him saying "wait and see" with his usual attitude than it is stating a projected date is 100% factual, so I don't see any reason to continue raking him and Ajay (who never said anything to that degree) over the coals like this.

Konja7
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Konja7 » Sun May 19, 2019 8:44 am

Shaddy wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 12:29 amYes...because, as he himself has admitted, the show's probably being announced in July, not aired. What is so complicated here? They got a thing wrong, and changed their tune to something that makes sense with the information we have versus what's actually happened.
As far as I know, Ajay hasn't say the show would be announced in July.

Ajay has apologized because his sources say the show will be aired in July (which seems extremely unlikely know). In fact, his sources shouldn't know when the show will be announced.

It is more likely that some plans have changed for Super 2 and its start has been delayed.

I say this in case there is not an announcement in July, because Ajay has not said anything about it.

SaiyanTarzan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SaiyanTarzan » Sun May 19, 2019 8:54 am

Konja7 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 8:44 am
Shaddy wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 12:29 amYes...because, as he himself has admitted, the show's probably being announced in July, not aired. What is so complicated here? They got a thing wrong, and changed their tune to something that makes sense with the information we have versus what's actually happened.
As far as I know, Ajay hasn't say the show would be announced in July.

Ajay has apologized because his sources say the show will be aired in July (which seems extremely unlikely know). In fact, his sources shouldn't know when the show will be announced.

It is more likely that some plans have changed for Super 2 and its start has been delayed.

I say this in case there is not an announcement in July, because Ajay has not said anything about it.
Where the hell did that come from really? the only people who have been claiming that the announcement is in July have been twitter folk and on here, I have not heard or seen Ajay say this himself, the only I repeat THE ONLY people who've claimed the announcement is in July has been regular people speculating not Ajay. And I agree with IntangibleFancy, people are feverishly defending Geekdom, unlike Ajay who treats his fans with respect, Geekdom has been talking down people who doubt him, no one's attacking him, they're only doubting his credibility and there's nothing wrong with that.