DBFighterZ 2 - What could they improve

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

DBFighterZ 2 - What could they improve

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:51 am

Character Roster

Everyone from 1 plus: Raditz, Dodoria, Zarbon, #19, #20, Roshi, Kefla (Omen Goku if she's in S2 DLC), Trio de Dangers (3 in 1 character), Dyspo, Toppo, Ribrianne, Frost, Moro (final boss - unlockable), SSJ4 Goku (unlockable / Pre-Order), SSJ4 Vegeta (unlockable / Pre-order).

DLC: Janemba, Super Buu, Omega Shenron, UI Goku, Mr Satan, Chi-Chi, Kale, Caulifla.

Modes
Story Mode: Not an RPG - just cutscenes and fighting ala newer MK entries. Or maybe only cutscenes ala Guilty Gear Xrd.

Arcade Ladder Mode: You decide on your team's number (1 vs 1, 2 vs 2, or 3 vs 3) and then fight ten random opponent teams (not fixed like in DBFZ1). You get an ending based on who dealt the killing blow in the last match (ala MvC3). Health is 150% increased when picking 2vs2 and 300% increased when picking 1vs1.

Vs Mode: Online and offline, just like in DBFZ1.

Martial Arts Tournament: Online and offline, just like in DBFZ1.

RPG Mode: This mode resembles the Story Mode of DBFZ1 a bit - you begin with one character and start exploring a map, fighting various teams as you go, unlocking prizes, moves and other characters (to use in this mode only) as you go. You can choose which attributes to increase as your characters level up (i.e. make a Yamcha with powerless ki blasts and super strong melee attacks). The stages work as they did in DBFZ1 - with a boss character to beat in order to progress to the next stage. Stages are a LOT, ensuring that you can unlock and MAX out every single character.

Post your thoughts, everyone.

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: DBFighterZ 2 - What could they improve

Post by supersaiyanZero » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:58 pm

Having Sparking, at least cosmetically, be installs for certain characters. Like SSj3, 100% Frieza, etc. Also let Sparking unlock a special, high damaging Meteor attack that costs bars AND health.

A better story mode. (ASW did it in the original Super Sonic Warriors, providing the best material this franchise has ever seen in a video game storywise so I don't see why they wouldn't be capable of it again) But gameplay wise, a 3v1 against Frieza on Namek the way it was in the show would be sick. As in, totally lopsided and brutally handicapped in Frieza's favor so we can get a a taste of what it was like to fight him as the Z warriors at that stage.

Tweak defensive options. Something like a lvl 3 reflect for Supers that maybe brings down your max bars from 7 to 4. Or maybe introduce fatigue in that sense, where you can permanently sacrifice 3 levels of bars to deflect/stop an attack (Like a lvl 1/3 when you're on the recieving end of a combo string) Super butoden had something similar where if you deflected or used a beam and you didn't have enough meter, it would cost health instead. Hyper Dimension also had a neat system where your health bar doubled as your ki bar.

Secret characters. Make the roster much harder to unlock.

My biggest wish - Create your own story mode/What-if mode and be able to share it with other players.

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:37 am

Some QoL features would go a long way like a proper menu that doesn't have to connect to the internet just to start playing the game.

Besides that that, a proper arcade ladder that randomizes teams, has an actual opponent A.I instead of just buffing up stats and actual endings for each character (or team, like KoF).

Everything else, more characters and stages, is a given.
supersaiyanZero wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:58 pm Secret characters. Make the roster much harder to unlock.
Please no, or if unlockable characters really need to exist, make those unlocks exclusive to single player modes and still have everyone unlocked for local VS/online.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:29 pm

Quebaz wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:37 am Some QoL features would go a long way like a proper menu that doesn't have to connect to the internet just to start
supersaiyanZero wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:58 pm Secret characters. Make the roster much harder to unlock.
Please no, or if unlockable characters really need to exist, make those unlocks exclusive to single player modes and still have everyone unlocked for local VS/online.
My goodness, this generation of gamers sure are spoiled.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:43 pm

Different kinds of arcade ladders that change in time like Injustice and MK.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:55 pm

Story: It's frustrating to think that the creators behind Blazblue wouldn't put as much effort into Fighterz as they do their own story mode. It doesn't have to be Visual Novel based like Blazblue, but a better story, and a better way to play through it, would be great.

Online Versus: Have the option for 1 v 1, 2 v 2, and Handicaps (1 v 2, 1 v 3, and 2 v 3)

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:37 am

supersaiyanZero wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:29 pm My goodness, this generation of gamers sure are spoiled.
Because I want to be able to properly fight against other people right off the bat in a fighting game? Such a novel idea. It's not like the unlockable characters would be better than the starting cast so how am I spoiled, exactly?

And no this isn't even a "BACK IN MY DAY" issue because plenty of fighting games new and old DON'T feature unlockable characters. Hell, it was mostly a thing with games that were didn't have much depth gameplay-wise that locked up gameplay elements to make it seem less shallow than it really was.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Tumblr

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:19 am

There's a bunch of things...
  • More stages is a must.
  • They should improve their engine to allow skins and in-game transformations to be easier. They should focus on providing installs to Goku,Vegeta, etc instead of giving us a billion other versions.
  • Short main Story mode, with a bunch of what-if scenarios for fun. No need to make it a big deal.
  • 1vs1, 2vs2 and all other ways to find available for everyone, not just a single console.
  • Make Dramatic Finishes easier and add more.
This is just a few things.

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:10 pm

I'd personally like

- more unique special move input. Like MK or street fighter as most have same quarter circle input. I like fighters having diffrent inputs personally.

- better story. Fighting clones to get a cutscene was dull.

- better roster. It prides it's self on playing unique yet there's like 3-5 gokus. That's disappointing.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:49 am

Nickolaidas wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:51 am Arcade Ladder Mode: You decide on your team's number (1 vs 1, 2 vs 2, or 3 vs 3) and then fight ten random opponent teams (not fixed like in DBFZ1). You get an ending based on who dealt the killing blow in the last match (ala MvC3). Health is 150% increased when picking 2vs2 and 300% increased when picking 1vs1.
Quebaz wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:37 am Besides that that, a proper arcade ladder that randomizes teams, has an actual opponent A.I instead of just buffing up stats and actual endings for each character (or team, like KoF).
I would love a specific ending for each character in the Arcade mode (in addition to a story-driven mode of course), just like Mortal Kombat does. It doesn't need much more than pictures and text, and it's enough to motivate people for hours of Arcade mode just out of curiosity of discovering what they could come up with for characters and see it with pictures (either really drawn illustrations or just quickly creating and editing screencaps of the game engine, like snapshots of an unexisting cutscene).

In DBF1, there is no reason to spend time on the Arcade mode after you've tried it just a handful of times.
Nickolaidas wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:51 am Character Roster

Everyone from 1 plus: Raditz, Dodoria, Zarbon, #19, #20, Roshi, Kefla (Omen Goku if she's in S2 DLC), Trio de Dangers (3 in 1 character), Dyspo, Toppo, Ribrianne, Frost, Moro (final boss - unlockable), SSJ4 Goku (unlockable / Pre-Order), SSJ4 Vegeta (unlockable / Pre-order).
That's probably possible ONLY if they just copy/paste the characters without even slightly upgrading the models. As soon as they change something, they have to redo the shading of every single frame, the hitbox and checking all that to be perfect at everytime for competitive audiences. Which is not too far from creating a full character aside of creating their gameplay and inventing their moves.

And if they do copy-paste the DBF 1 fighters, won't they be accused of just copy/pasting instead of improving even more the graphics and models? Chances are, they will improve the models and therefore spend hours redoing every sprite (proportions and shading for every bit of movement) for everyone, which could lead to not so many characters being added after that.

With the Shintani style being used for the movie, then for the upcoming TV continuation, lately for the cover of the Anime Comics and likely for promotional arts in the future, isn't Bandai-Namco gonna ask them to redo all models Shintani style, starting every character from scratch graphically-wise and having to redo every single sprite?
LightBing wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:19 am There's a bunch of things...
  • More stages is a must.
  • They should improve their engine to allow skins and in-game transformations to be easier. They should focus on providing installs to Goku,Vegeta, etc instead of giving us a billion other versions.
  • Short main Story mode, with a bunch of what-if scenarios for fun. No need to make it a big deal.
  • 1vs1, 2vs2 and all other ways to find available for everyone, not just a single console.
  • Make Dramatic Finishes easier and add more.
This is just a few things.
More stages should have already happened a bunch of times with this DBF1. It's probably the easiest thing to do compared to creating a character... We should have had at least three new stages from the franchise right now, and not just a completely made-up one for competitive audiences. So I agree it's a must.

More Dramatic Finishes should already have been done too. There are lots of examples of characters already available that killed or severely knocked out someone also available right now, there could be at least fifteen Dramatic Finishes even without the "what-if" ones (like C-17 and C-18 killing Gohan or Vegetto defusing and the pair being knocked back down to the ground by Zamasu and unable to fight, and many more like that). It's a must to, it would be a great motivation for me to have to collect scenes from the original story (we should be able to view them at will once we saw it once, with the colors/costumes we choose).

At this point, improving the engine to allow skins and in-game transformations would imply a regression. It would mean that the work on shading is automated rather than by hand, and when has that ever yielded perfect results?
So it would basically mean "please, do it more flawed than the first one so we can have more" and I'm not sure they're up for it, that's probably not the way they want to do a professional job that's set apart from anything else the franchise has given us (the "way less polished for way more content" is already done by other DB games).

This is the same problems for those who ask for installs: again, it means the model changes, therefore the shading changes with the new proportions, the hair change, etc... for every single hundred of "sprites", plus the fact that the game has to load another model with another range of animations if his moves change, basically loading another character.
Six characters chosen plus six alternate characters (or more since Goku could basically have up to eight models just for him) that will act as the transformation installs, plus the assists (sometimes just for the special moves) plus the assets of three of four Dramatic Finishes ready to go depending on who's on the field... That starts to be a lot.
Plus, gameplay-wise, if the transformation is just a stat-boost, is it necessary to redo several hundred sprites just for that? And if it's more than that and each form has moves and gameplay of its own, isn't it like cheating if they are completely different characters for competitive audiences, with taking Goku basically meaning you have 4-5 different characters in one if he can transform and therefore change his gameplay/moves?

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:11 am

Cold Skin wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:49 am
And if they do copy-paste the DBF 1 fighters, won't they be accused of just copy/pasting instead of improving even more the graphics and models? Chances are, they will improve the models and therefore spend hours redoing every sprite (proportions and shading for every bit of movement) for everyone, which could lead to not so many characters being added after that.
Much like what happened with Guilty Gear and even with ArcSys' sprite based games, the character assets are probably made to last a couple of games before they need to be completely revamped for an eventual reset-style sequel. Updating them for a couple of new moves/shading is a nice compromise instead of having an actual newer model.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Tumblr

Akamay
Beyond Newbie

Post by Akamay » Wed May 01, 2019 10:58 pm

Probably having an improved netcode and harsher punishments for ragequitting matches would help.
It would probably be a good idea to have menus that do not require the players to go to the lobbies all the time.

For the content itself, I would say that it would be nice to have character costumes to have a bit more variety.
I mean, yeah, you can play as a bunch of different Gokus, but they all look too similar to each other.
Just throwing some ideas:

Base Goku
- Raditz Fight appearance
- Shirtless, to match how he looked when he had the beam struggle with Vegeta

SSJ Goku
- Gi without symbols
- GT clothes

SSJ Blue Goku
- Whis Gi
- Blue Undershirt (ToP and Broly movie)

Base Vegeta
- Scouter
- Shoulderless Armor from Namek

SSJ Vegeta
- Buu saga appearance (no armor)

SSJ Blue Vegeta
- Whis Armor
- No Armor (ToP and Broly Movie)

Gohan (Teen)
- Goku-style Gi (Bojack Movie)

Gohan (Adult)
- Purple Gi (Early Buu saga, ToP in the Manga)
- Great Saiyaman Gi (Dabura Fight)

Trunks
- Saiyan Armor
- Super Clothes (Goku Black saga)
- Xenoverse Clothes

Krillin
- Blue Undershirt (Cell Saga)
- With Hair (Buu saga)

Tenshinhan
- Shirtless (Pretty much all of DBZ)
- Buu saga Gi

Yamcha
- Tied hair (Shen Fight)
- Short hair (Cell Saga)

Nappa
- Hair (Bardock special and Broly movie)

Ginyu
- Scouter

Bardock
- DB Minus armor

Android 18
- ToP Tracksuit

Android 17
- DBZ Clothes

Android 16
- Capsule Corp Logo

Goku Black
- Zamasu's clothes (after the wish on the Super Dragon Balls)

Jiren
- Shirtless (End of ToP)

Videl
- "FIGHT" Shirt (Later Buu Saga)
- Broly Movie 2 clothes

Goku (GT)
- Classic Clothes

Hit
- Clothes without the skirt (ToP manga)

For characters, I would personally want:
- Raditz
- Toppo
- Kefla
- Master Roshi/Jackie Chun
- Mr. Satan
- Janemba
- Super Buu w/Gohan Absorbed
- Base Broly

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Fri May 10, 2019 10:55 am

Quebaz wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:11 am
Cold Skin wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:49 am
Much like what happened with Guilty Gear and even with ArcSys' sprite based games, the character assets are probably made to last a couple of games before they need to be completely revamped for an eventual reset-style sequel. Updating them for a couple of new moves/shading is a nice compromise instead of having an actual newer model.
And I really don't see why we would need new models already considering how awesome the current ones look. Maybe touch up here and there and add more characters. I'd rather have this than the MK approach where every one of the new games has a new roster with new models which costs more time so they have to drop characters. Give me the SF2 aproach.

excelhedge
Beyond Newbie

Post by excelhedge » Wed May 15, 2019 7:19 pm

Improved blocking registration. I swear there are times I'm blocking but still get hit cuz on my opponents screen their system says I'm not.

Limit dragon rushes and super dashes so they can be constantly spammed

Simplify tagging so my characters can just switch out without dashing straight into my opponent's uppercut or Super

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun May 19, 2019 2:30 pm

I want an arcade mode with arcade style endings. Shin Budokai 1 did it with each character getting a wish from Shenron and it would be cool if they did a similar thing for Fighterz 2.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri May 24, 2019 4:59 pm

I think that all FighterZ needs is more stages and more alternate outfits. Of course having more dramatic finishes would be cool too but it wouldn’t be that important.
I don’t even think they should do a sequel to it because it would be quite pointless unless the whole game played differently, but the gameplay is already good and making it another thing just for the sake of it would be stupid and I don’t think it would be wise to release a FighterZ 1.5 version of the game with new characters and story mode.
They should keep doing DLC seasons but also throw in some new stages and alternate outfits into the mix.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:11 pm

Mechanics
-Deflect can be used in-between blockstrings. More defensive options in general.
-Assist move for each team member can be chosen
-No-attacking teleport
-Tag-in during regular combo (use only after jump launcher)

interface
-Make the main menu a normal main menu and keep the hub world structure exclusive to online mode and/or Story Mode.

Story Mode
-A difficulty curve.
-Get rid of the board game setting. Keep it simple by only focusing on battles with cutscenes in-between... just anything but the board game.

Arcade Mode
-Difficulty spike based on progression and the computer actually becoming harder than beefed up stats.
-Each character has their own courses and their own ending after completing their arcade playthrough.

Online Mode
-Better netcoding. Duh.
-Penalties for ragequitting.

Roster
Returning
Everyone except possibly #16 and #21.

New
Goku (Ultra Instinct) *
Master Roshi
Raditz
Super Buu
Caulifla (w/ Kale)*
Kefla*

* = Assuming they don't make it in the first game.
Last edited by DBZAOTA482 on Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:43 pm

I want a good story mode. The guys who created the epic tale of Blazblue made Fighterz, and I'm not asking for a story mode that can take days to complete like in Blazblue, but they gotta do better than Fighterz, Arc System Works needs to be allowed to make something worth playing.

Akamay
Beyond Newbie

Post by Akamay » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:19 pm

FoolsGil wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:43 pm I want a good story mode. The guys who created the epic tale of Blazblue made Fighterz, and I'm not asking for a story mode that can take days to complete like in Blazblue, but they gotta do better than Fighterz, Arc System Works needs to be allowed to make something worth playing.
I'm guessing that they would be limited by the license a lot when it comes to a story mode. I don't think they would be able to do something that original and different. Still, it could happen if the devs push for something that gets approved by the higher-ups.
The main issue really is that fighting games have been focusing a lot on the competitive side of things and leaving everything else behind.

On a side note, it would be nice if they handled the DLC packs better. Long stretches without any news can get pretty bad if there are no signs of the new stuff to come. It would also help a lot if they didn't announce DLC characters months in advance when they're not even ready to show anything in-game yet.

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:01 am

Other than the obvious "updated roster" with more super/OG DB Characters the only thing I really wish fighterz had was a short, but fun story mode.

Something simple like arcade mode but with cut scenes in between fights with a final boss at the end. Depending on who lands the final blow you get a different unique ending.

Also all the garbage rewards need to go. I don't care about stamps or lobby avatars. I would have preferred they channel that effort into alternate costumes(or legit battle damage). Just one per character would be fine. I have spent hours and hours buying stuff with Zeni, and still don't have any additional colors for some characters. That's annoying.