Remastered DBZ First Episode Preview

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Remastered DBZ First Episode Preview

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon May 20, 2019 2:18 am

I just happened to find this while recently browsing around on YouTube, it is apparently a fan restored version of the FEP for DBZ episode 1 using footage taken from the episode itself timed to the original preview's audio in broadcast quality. This is really awesome video quality and quite frankly i believe a very close approximation to what it would look like were it actually included in remastered form on the Dragon Ball Dragon Box back in the day, or perhaps if a potential high definition release of the original series eventually comes out one day down the road that actually has it at the end of episode 153.

Anyway, here it is:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2vqJLD68v ... e=youtu.be

Here's the original version off of a recorded copy of DB episode 153 from back in April 1989.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9JrsPYa7LM
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Paulo Gabriel
Banned

Re: Remastered DBZ First Episode Preview

Post by Paulo Gabriel » Mon May 20, 2019 2:34 am

Awesome find!

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon May 20, 2019 2:38 am

Paulo Gabriel wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 2:34 am Awesome find!
Yeah i was amazed when i happened to stumble upon it while browsing around, it's definitely good to have this with good video quality in lieu of it not actually being officially available since it wasn't included on the DB Dragon Box with episode 153 where it should be for whatever reason.

It's also better than being stuck with just the old low quality VHS rip of the preview from 1989 that's already up there.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Mon May 20, 2019 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Mon May 20, 2019 2:42 am

That's enigmo, a pretty bad troll who also harasses community members for not taking his bad/inaccurate remasterings seriously. There's a lot wrong with them that I don't want to get into (and frankly there are more qualified members to do so, see the DBox color correction thread), but it's not much of a "find".

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon May 20, 2019 2:45 am

Shaddy wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 2:42 am That's enigmo, a pretty bad troll who also harasses community members for not taking his bad/inaccurate remasterings seriously. There's a lot wrong with them that I don't want to get into (and frankly there are more qualified members to do so, see the DBox color correction thread), but it's not much of a "find".
Oh it is? Well then color me confused because i actually didn't know about that at all. And here i though it was a decent looking remaster for something that is not officially available anywhere in high quality at this point. :?

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon May 20, 2019 6:25 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 2:45 am
Shaddy wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 2:42 am That's enigmo, a pretty bad troll who also harasses community members for not taking his bad/inaccurate remasterings seriously. There's a lot wrong with them that I don't want to get into (and frankly there are more qualified members to do so, see the DBox color correction thread), but it's not much of a "find".
Oh it is? Well then color me confused because i actually didn't know about that at all. And here i though it was a decent looking remaster for something that is not officially available anywhere in high quality at this point. :?
TBH, while I didn't notice it's Enigmo at first, I was kind of immediately turned off this video by the fact it's got some pretty awful filtering over it, which degrades the video quality, so I'm really not surprised it's his work.
Colour correction is admittedly not bad, but the filtering in general is the typical work of a moronic, attention-seeking troll that fills Enigmo's YouTube channels.

Essentially, this has been upscaled by some crappy "anime hd filter" or something, and I think it's had some noise reduction applied. :roll:
Look at the shot at 0:12. The log has a really ugly texture to it.
And he's probably ruined the audio too. I really can't be bothered to look in-depth at it to find out for sure, but it does sound worse than the unrestored video to my ears. :lol:

Anyway, this video was approached oddly anyway. The best way to "Remaster" the preview is to use the Level footage, and get this piece of history in glorious HD. :)
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon May 20, 2019 9:11 am

Robo4900 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:25 am
TBH, while I didn't notice it's Enigmo at first, I was kind of immediately turned off this video by the fact it's got some pretty awful filtering over it, which degrades the video quality, so I'm really not surprised it's his work.
Colour correction is admittedly not bad, but the filtering in general is the typical work of a moronic, attention-seeking troll that fills Enigmo's YouTube channels.

Essentially, this has been upscaled by some crappy "anime hd filter" or something, and I think it's had some noise reduction applied. :roll:
And he's probably ruined the audio too. I really can't be bothered to look in-depth at it to find out for sure, but it does sound worse than the unrestored video to my ears. :lol:

Anyway, this video was approached oddly anyway. The best way to "Remaster" the preview is to use the Level footage, and get this piece of history in glorious HD. :)
Also i'm curious as to the source used for this, is it upscaled from the Dragon Box or what?

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon May 20, 2019 11:51 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 9:11 am

Also i'm curious as to the source used for this, is it upscaled from the Dragon Box or what?
Dragon Box upscale, for sure.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon May 20, 2019 1:02 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 11:51 am
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 9:11 am

Dragon Box upscale, for sure.
Ah i thought that's what it was, obviously they took clips of the Dragon Box footage from episode 1 that aligns with what was used in the original first episode preview and simply upscaled/filtered it to HD format even though it's sourced from a standard definition transfer of the 16mm film masters done in 2003.

If only the actual first episode preview itself were available in high quality, it's a shame that Toei didn't release it with the Z Dragon Box volume 1 as an extra or even still include it at the end of episode 153 on the OG Dragon Ball Dragon Box where it should be as the original broadcast was.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Tue May 21, 2019 4:46 am

you can't recreate the first episode preview because lot of frames in the original previews are unused footage , alternative footage etc
like you can't either do the tvsp2 for the same reason

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue May 21, 2019 4:48 am

Is that...Mayumi Shou as Chichi I heard? WOW! Her take REALLY WAS too cute and not in a good way.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol: