"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon May 20, 2019 3:17 pm

Really liked the chapter.

The mystery of Moro's wish plays a wonderful hook to get me invested in the story, and I'm really hoping that Toyotaro can stick the landing and provide a unique twist to Moro's wish that can extend the arc without feeling force or trite and can also flesh out Moro's character.

Goku and Vegeta's character writing was spot on.

The main highlight, as expected, was seeing Majin Boo throw down. The anime may have beaten Toyotaro to punch and shown the wonderfully whimsical combat capabilities of Majin Boo, but that didn't make Majin Boo beat-down of Moro any less great to watch.

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Mon May 20, 2019 3:27 pm

Finally buu is getting importance! I liked this and the last chapter.
What about the third wish? Maybe he called an ally? A new vehicle to travel in space? The destruction of the galactic patrol HQ?

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon May 20, 2019 4:10 pm

Really enjoyed the chapter and a lot has to do with the mystery behind Moro's final wish....I just hope they won't try to turn it into a unexpected funny twist like him wanting to be 5 cm shorter.

Akamay
Beyond Newbie

Post by Akamay » Mon May 20, 2019 4:20 pm

What's with Toyotaro drawing the same expression for people getting hurt every chapter? He's been doing it for a while now and I can't help but notice it.

It was cool to see Buu actually do something for once, considering how he got removed from every single tournament so far.
Still, I'm not sure I follow the Dai Kaioshion switching places with Buu.
Is it just Buu copying the Dai Kaioshin's appearance, since he still has the Majin symbol on his belt?

Also, Cranberry killed the Namek Elder, shouldn't Porunga just.....you know.....disappear?

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon May 20, 2019 4:29 pm

I am still feeling that this arc is just very average. It’s played very safely and adds little to nothing to the plot. I am waiting each month for this arc to have something more substantial and every month I come back deluded, I have realised that at this point it’s unlikely for this arc to be anything different than what it already is. I would say it’s basically filler but at least it’s entertaining and interesting filler.

It’s still going way too slow and Goku is still completely unimportant, with his only purpose being that of teleporting.
He’s never been treated so badly during a main DB arc. Even when he was out of commission he was being clearly built up to have some important role later down the line, or still played an important part like in Cell arc and Buu.

I got to say though that Buu’s fight was very nice and that Moro’s 2nd wish still being a mystery is actually intriguing.
Considering how he’s still on Namek and next chapter we know will still take place on Namek, I believe that he may have wished for the Planet to have infinite genki (which would explain why he was unsure on whether or not that was possible to wish). I doubt very much that he’s wished for immortality.
If the wish is really that, then I could see the Genkidama actually being used to take him down considering how Goku too could abuse the infinite genki. Although I think it’s more likely that a Goku, Vegeta and Buu team up will actually be what ultimately takes Moro down.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon May 20, 2019 4:32 pm

You know that's probably why I'm not getting into this much, the way Gokû is being treated this arc. Like he's there, but he's not there. Hadn't thought about that.

I'm still not hooked, but this was better than other parts of this arc so far imo.

Buu was entertaining! Good thing for cultivating interest there isn't an actual organized version of the namekian language or else we'd all know Moro's wish. I'm curious about it, but Moro so far hasn't been interesting enough of a personality to grab me.

While it feels overly convenient that Buu and the Dai Kaioshin can just switch places, I'm not against it.

I feel because Porunga also has wish limitations that it'd be easy to over imagine what the mystery wish could be. Keeping expectations tempered, but still hoping something exciting happens.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon May 20, 2019 4:39 pm

Noitsnothim wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 5:42 am
Noah wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 12:07 am
Noitsnothim wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 1:16 pm Moro's become a disappointing character
Well, blame Toyotaro for that.

The funny thing is that I remember people saying in the past months: "LOL HE'S UNIQUE CUZ MAGICAL POWAS AND DB NEVUR HAD THOSE".
you know what Super needs? Torishima & Kondo coming back as Toriyama's editors/consultants (They were around the best eras of Dragon Ball) and the lack of their seriousness and always keeping Toriyama on check has been making Super pale in comparison to Z and they could also get on Toyotaro as well to become a better storyteller
You are aware that Toriyama's harshest editor praised Resurrection 'F'.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon May 20, 2019 5:06 pm

I hate that Frieza solder random has a mind control device and it never hinted at or foreshadowed. He just has it and apparently had it since he was in prison. It's about as contrived as Moro taking three days to find the Dragon Balls and then suddenly gaining the ability to sense them after the heroes finally got the idea to hide them. Also, he killed the elder, the Dragon Balls should have stopped working. Unless the Dragon Balls are not connected to the Namekian did, which the manga never says is the case if so, why, then this is a major plot hole.

Even weaken or not, Vegeta and Goku not making it to the Dragon Balls in time in a big 'what'. Goku back in the Namek Saga went across half of Namek in a second. This is some Zamasu heading towards Trunks in Episode 64 kind of contrived. At least you can try to hand wave Zamasu as taking his time since he's a sadistic asshole. Goku and Vegeta were in a real rush. And it's so bad that a ship that left after them made it to the Dragon Ball's site shortly after they arrived.

The Frieza soldier is also a moron. You could have double crossed Moro, let him get arrested, and wished to go somewhere where no one can find him (which was his one wish).

How did Moro just know that the helmet is a mind control device and that was what was needed to make a wish?

While the fight was really nice, the conversation between Goku and Vegeta was the same as the one they had last month. Also, Buu getting such a big power boost from awakening the Grand Supreme Kai's memory is really questionable since Grand Supreme Kai should be a weakling by current standards and even if he did empowered Buu, the jump seems too dramatic. But this is kinda a nitpick. I actually prefer what the anime did and just make Buu train, even if Buu did get laughably stronger in just a few hours. Feels more earned.

Overall, great fight with Buu, but the entire chapter is brought down for me because of how contrived everything was for Moro to get his wish.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Mon May 20, 2019 5:11 pm

This chapter was eh. The battle was fun, but I think that's more due to Buu just being a joy to watch at all times than Toyo doing anything spectacular. He's got fewer panels, but still not enough fewer. Moro remains completely boring, the only thing he's got going for him that we haven't seen in a while is cruelty, murdering allies and civvies alike, but that's still not unique, we just haven't seen it since Freeza and Vegeta really. Other than that...well, they've set up a "mystery" about what his wish was, but I have my doubts that whatever it pays off with will be anything special. It's not like he can wish for a personality.

Also, I'm sure people have speculated already, but Cranberry killed the Grand Elder, right? Buu couldn't heal him. So, how did they make the wishes?

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Mon May 20, 2019 6:56 pm

Shaddy wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 5:11 pm This chapter was eh. The battle was fun, but I think that's more due to Buu just being a joy to watch at all times than Toyo doing anything spectacular. He's got fewer panels, but still not enough fewer. Moro remains completely boring, the only thing he's got going for him that we haven't seen in a while is cruelty, murdering allies and civvies alike, but that's still not unique, we just haven't seen it since Freeza and Vegeta really. Other than that...well, they've set up a "mystery" about what his wish was, but I have my doubts that whatever it pays off with will be anything special. It's not like he can wish for a personality.

Also, I'm sure people have speculated already, but Cranberry killed the Grand Elder, right? Buu couldn't heal him. So, how did they make the wishes?
The big theory from previous chapters is that the Elder transferred ownership to Esca.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon May 20, 2019 7:09 pm

OLKv3 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:56 pm
Shaddy wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 5:11 pm This chapter was eh. The battle was fun, but I think that's more due to Buu just being a joy to watch at all times than Toyo doing anything spectacular. He's got fewer panels, but still not enough fewer. Moro remains completely boring, the only thing he's got going for him that we haven't seen in a while is cruelty, murdering allies and civvies alike, but that's still not unique, we just haven't seen it since Freeza and Vegeta really. Other than that...well, they've set up a "mystery" about what his wish was, but I have my doubts that whatever it pays off with will be anything special. It's not like he can wish for a personality.

The big theory from previous chapters is that the Elder transferred ownership to Esca.
That sounds really contrived since the Frieza soldier choose the kid and killed the elder after they supposedly transferred ownership. But this entire arc runs on being contrived.

That and I ask, why?
Kanassa wrote:

Nokra
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nokra » Mon May 20, 2019 7:33 pm

Why is it that the YouTube Dragonball fans seem to be only praising toyotaro and this arc while here on the forum its the opposite?

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Mon May 20, 2019 7:37 pm

I wonder, where did Goku go at the end of the chapter? He used Instant transmission, but he was not able to feel Moro Ki. Did he go to Earth or something? I remember he said he wanted to get some Senzu

HeroR wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 5:06 pm
Even weaken or not, Vegeta and Goku not making it to the Dragon Balls in time in a big 'what'. Goku back in the Namek Saga went across half of Namek in a second. This is some Zamasu heading towards Trunks in Episode 64 kind of contrived. At least you can try to hand wave Zamasu as taking his time since he's a sadistic asshole. Goku and Vegeta were in a real rush. And it's so bad that a ship that left after them made it to the Dragon Ball's site shortly after they arrived.

While the fight was really nice, the conversation between Goku and Vegeta was the same as the one they had last month. Also, Buu getting such a big power boost from awakening the Grand Supreme Kai's memory is really questionable since Grand Supreme Kai should be a weakling by current standards and even if he did empowered Buu, the jump seems too dramatic. But this is kinda a nitpick. I actually prefer what the anime did and just make Buu train, even if Buu did get laughably stronger in just a few hours. Feels more earned.
Goku did not even have Ki enough to use Instant Transmission. He could barely use his Ki until the Galactic Patrol arrived.

Moro with his restored magical power would be much faster (not to mention that the scene wanted to emphasize the great power up he received)

And I understand your point, but at least for me, training is not a justification for any kind of power up, even if it seems deserved.

Even though I find the power up that Boo received in the manga a bit exaggerated, the way it happened is interesting, a possibility that already existed and was never explored.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon May 20, 2019 8:04 pm

Everything in between from the introduction until the final fight seems like one big dragged out scenario. Nothing really happened.

I'm looking forward to the big battle.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon May 20, 2019 8:09 pm

Miracles wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:04 pm Everything in between from the introduction until the final fight seems like one big dragged out scenario. Nothing really happened.

I'm looking forward to the big battle.
Thats just it though, i dont think its the “final battle.” Seems more like this final fight is like the equivalent of the Raditz battle in the Saiyan saga. This is still just the beginning. Either that or Moro gets defeated and his wish leads into a new arc.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Noitsnothim
Regular

Post by Noitsnothim » Mon May 20, 2019 8:32 pm

HeroR wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 4:39 pm
Noitsnothim wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 5:42 am
Noah wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 12:07 am

Well, blame Toyotaro for that.

The funny thing is that I remember people saying in the past months: "LOL HE'S UNIQUE CUZ MAGICAL POWAS AND DB NEVUR HAD THOSE".
you know what Super needs? Torishima & Kondo coming back as Toriyama's editors/consultants (They were around the best eras of Dragon Ball) and the lack of their seriousness and always keeping Toriyama on check has been making Super pale in comparison to Z and they could also get on Toyotaro as well to become a better storyteller
You are aware that Toriyama's harshest editor praised Resurrection 'F'.
So did pretty much everyone of the fandom before it got remade in Super and possibly because it's Toriyama first time taking a crack at Screenwriting and it continued to utilize the Z-warriors including Master roshi who was absent from the action in the previous film

Kogath

Post by Kogath » Mon May 20, 2019 8:49 pm

It's interesting to me that they showed the Namekian for whatever the final wish was. Now if only we had a way to translate it...

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Mon May 20, 2019 9:14 pm

Kogath wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:49 pm It's interesting to me that they showed the Namekian for whatever the final wish was. Now if only we had a way to translate it...
Haha please let us know what it says. It is cool they allowed the most hardcore of fans that actually would know where to find a Namekian translator to find out the twist a month early.

Loved this chapter as well, I was a bit iffy on Goku and Vegeta not making it to Cranberry in time but yes as someone above mentioned they are fairly depleted.

What was with that Namekian eye to scouter translater thing though?

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Mon May 20, 2019 9:33 pm

Nokra wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:33 pm Why is it that the YouTube Dragonball fans seem to be only praising toyotaro and this arc while here on the forum its the opposite?
Hardcores vs Casuals

The moment Moro wanted to wish for full power, everyone here immediately called him a king piccolo rip off.

But on Youtube most people were glad that we had a villain with magic power.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Mon May 20, 2019 9:39 pm

Dragono wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 9:33 pm
Nokra wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:33 pm Why is it that the YouTube Dragonball fans seem to be only praising toyotaro and this arc while here on the forum its the opposite?
Hardcores vs Casuals

The moment Moro wanted to wish for full power, everyone here immediately called him a king piccolo rip off.

But on Youtube most people were glad that we had a villain with magic power.
Please stop this. People have different opinions. It has nothing to do with being hardcore or casual. That’s just condescending.