Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sintzu
Banned

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by sintzu » Fri May 17, 2019 1:19 pm

KBABZ wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 1:12 pmPersonally I HONESTLY doubt that. With the exception of the 32mm section with the Ginyu Force and early Frieza fight, DB, Z and GT have little quality to gain by being scanned in at that resolution. Movies for sure, but most of the TV content is ultimately too small to get any gains here.
This fanbase will buy anything so even the smallest of gains (or non at all) will be enough to justify them releasing it on 4K Blu-Ray simply because fans will buy it.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri May 17, 2019 1:29 pm

sintzu wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 1:19 pm This fanbase will buy anything
Except a 4:3 release with grain, apparently. Ugh...

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri May 17, 2019 2:37 pm

KBABZ wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 1:12 pm
sintzu wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:52 pm
Robo4900 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 11:43 amAll we can do is complain at Funi and hope they see reason in time for the next release in 5-8 years' time. (And mark my words, we'll see another release in that kind of timeframe)
I can actually see them giving us 2 releases. One in 4-5 years in 4K and another one in 2029 for the 40th anniversary.
Personally I HONESTLY doubt that. With the exception of the 32mm section with the Ginyu Force and early Frieza fight, DB, Z and GT have little quality to gain by being scanned in at that resolution. Movies for sure, but most of the TV content is ultimately too small to get any gains here.
A lot of movies released in "UHD" that originally came out around 2002-2014 (which is a sizeable amount of UHD releases available) are just upscales from 1080p elements. People still buy it.
Funi will get in on the 4K/UHD trend at some point; whether they do so by upscaling their crappy Season BD masters, or do the same thing as they've done here but nominally less awful, or they do it properly... Only time will tell.

Keep complaining about this 30th anniversary release though, make it clear what's wrong, outright ask for a better release. Make your message clear. And do it by email, so the right people hear about it. Because otherwise, they're just going to ignore us and put out the same crap they've done every time. And spread the word.

Also, nitpick: 35mm, not 32.
KBABZ wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 1:29 pm
First up, the problem isn't "This fanbase will buy anything", it's that people who want to buy DBZ will buy anything. Not necessarily the fans, but the average joes who want to pick up that show they liked that's now in HD.
And that was the problem with the Levels: No one wanted to buy DBZ in HD in 2011.

People will happily buy a 4:3 release with grain, and the fans would love to. But Funi is giving no option, so the average joes just pick up whatever's available, and a lot of fans end up just settling for it because there's no option.

Never let Funi's narrative take hold, that people won't buy a 4:3 grainy release. It's simply not true.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri May 17, 2019 2:58 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 2:37 pmFuni will get in on the 4K/UHD trend at some point; whether they do so by upscaling their crappy Season BD masters... Only time will tell.
They probably will. The Blu-Rays are just a better version of their Orange DVD sets so chances are they'll just put their season sets on 4K Blu-Rays and call it a day. At most they might fix some of the cropping issues found on their current season Blu-Rays.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri May 17, 2019 3:54 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 2:37 pm First up, the problem isn't "This fanbase will buy anything", it's that people who want to buy DBZ will buy anything. Not necessarily the fans, but the average joes who want to pick up that show they liked that's now in HD.
And that was the problem with the Levels: No one wanted to buy DBZ in HD in 2011.

People will happily buy a 4:3 release with grain, and the fans would love to. But Funi is giving no option, so the average joes just pick up whatever's available, and a lot of fans end up just settling for it because there's no option.

Never let Funi's narrative take hold, that people won't buy a 4:3 grainy release. It's simply not true.
Exactly! Look at the Star Trek fandom. Would they love to watch TNG, DS9, & Voyager in widescreen with their HD remasters? Sure. And I heard DS9's 3rd season onward was filmed with that aspect ratio in mind, which most likely means Voyager probably was too in its entirety, so if they can be converted easily, that'd be great, but TNG couldn't be because they filmed it with film crews & equipment on the sides of the film stock that would be cut off when editing the show back in the 80s & 90s. Even so, most fans would probably be cool with the shows still being in 4:3 if they chose to keep them in said format. The DBZ fandom would be the same because the show can't & shouldn't be converted to widescreen because it was never filmed in that format.
Then again, this is also a fandom full of people who don't understand how the animation process was/is in Japan where they took snapshots of the animation cells after they drew the frames on to the film stock. No joke, someone actually responded to me in the comments of that second trailer saying that because the show was drawn, it shouldn't have grain, even though that's not how film works. So, maybe they deserve to have their stupidity fed, I don't know. I hope not, though. We don't need people becoming dumber than they already are.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri May 17, 2019 6:24 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 2:37 pm
KBABZ wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 1:29 pm
First up, the problem isn't "This fanbase will buy anything", it's that people who want to buy DBZ will buy anything. Not necessarily the fans, but the average joes who want to pick up that show they liked that's now in HD.

I think I should have intensified the sarcasm there!

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon May 20, 2019 1:12 am

I was gonna bring this up after my suspension from the board was up, but initially forgot. No one's brought up the video Geekdom101 did with Ajay.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmFAtnuP5AY

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon May 20, 2019 1:26 am

Scsigs wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 1:12 am I was gonna bring this up after my suspension from the board was up, but initially forgot. No one's brought up the video Geekdom101 did with Ajay.
I watched that recently myself, the discussion they were having was very insightful about the most notable flaws about the release.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Mon May 20, 2019 1:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon May 20, 2019 1:28 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 1:26 am
Scsigs wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 1:12 am I was gonna bring this up after my suspension from the board was up, but initially forgot. No one's brought up the video Geekdom101 did with Ajay.
I watched that recently myself, the discussion they were having was very insightful about the most notable flaws about the release.
Exactly. I was really surprised no one brought it up till now. It's a good video & a good follow-up to Ajay's 10-minute video that was a more angry response to the trailers.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon May 20, 2019 1:30 am

Scsigs wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 1:28 am
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 1:26 am
Exactly. I was really surprised no one brought it up till now. It's a good video & a good follow-up to Ajay's 10-minute video that was a more angry response to the trailers.
Here's another one i mentioned a couple of pages ago that was quite interesting and informative as well. The video talks about not only the set itself, but also the general history of the series on home video since the very beginning of FUNimation releasing it on VHS back in 1997 and how they have dropped the ball and also redeemed themselves over the years with all the different releases. It was definitely an interesting watch and i thoroughly enjoyed his in depth review of them and how things have developed in the last 20+ years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spii3SOhi0Y

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon May 20, 2019 3:25 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 1:30 am
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 1:26 am I watched that recently myself, the discussion they were having was very insightful about the most notable flaws about the release.
Here's another one i mentioned a couple of pages ago that was quite interesting and informative as well. The video talks about not only the set itself, but also the general history of the series on home video since the very beginning of FUNimation releasing it on VHS back in 1997 and how they have dropped the ball and also redeemed themselves over the years with all the different releases. It was definitely an interesting watch and i thoroughly enjoyed his in depth review of them and how things have developed in the last 20+ years.

Pretty much a more calm, expended version of the video Ajay did. Love it.

Also, for those who keep stating otherwise, it's 34 episodes, not 39. 39 was the season set number, not the Levels.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon May 20, 2019 3:48 am

Scsigs wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 3:25 am
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 1:30 am

Pretty much a more calm, expended version of the video Ajay did. Love it.

Also, for those who keep stating otherwise, it's 34 episodes, not 39. 39 was the season set number, not the Levels.
Yeah, i really liked his very thorough overview of the series history on home video aside from the stuff about the 30th anniversary set and all it's faults therein.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon May 20, 2019 6:17 am

Scsigs wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 3:25 am Also, for those who keep stating otherwise, it's 34 episodes, not 39. 39 was the season set number, not the Levels.
If you bought "season 1" on the PlayStation or Xbox Live store before it was switched to the awful season set masters, you got the Level masters of 1-39.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TVfan721 » Tue May 21, 2019 10:24 am

It's really shitty that people actually fell for this release and all 6000 got sold. Such bullshit and once again, Funimation now has no reason to change.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue May 21, 2019 10:59 am

TVfan721 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:24 amIt's really shitty that people actually fell for this release and all 6000 got sold. Such bullshit and once again, Funimation now has no reason to change.
It may be time to accept that a good number of fans don't care about the show looking its best and will accept something that's just passable. When you have fans who don't care about quality and a company that also doesn't care then you're pretty much stuck with an OK product at best.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue May 21, 2019 11:29 am

sintzu wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:59 am
TVfan721 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:24 amIt's really shitty that people actually fell for this release and all 6000 got sold. Such bullshit and once again, Funimation now has no reason to change.
It may be time to accept that a good number of fans don't care about the show looking its best and will accept something that's just passable. When you have fans who don't care about quality and a company that also doesn't care then you're pretty much stuck with an OK product at best.
Hence that is why i have been getting the Dragon Boxes off eBay/Amazon for the last couple of years, because i realize FUNi just isn't going to put in the effort of making another release in a quality that does the series justice as this is only a marginal improvement at best from the Season BD's.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Tue May 21, 2019 11:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue May 21, 2019 11:30 am

Even when all of the fans have been stuck with shitty releases out of their control by default & FUNi refuses to do anything about it? Here's also something. The majority of fans WOULDN'T CARE EITHER WAY what the aspect ratio was, but more often than not, most people don't care if the aspect ratio was 4:3 as long as they have a good home release of the show on a good format & at a good price they can afford. Why do you think the majority of shows & movies stuck at 4:3 are still released in that ratio by the companies that own them & there's not a lot of complaining? Most people can either stretch or crop the images themselves or they don't care. All FUNi continually does is remove one step for the people that do that already & never provides the people who want the original aspect ratio an alternative to not do that. Can you stop being this negative already? I've not seen you say anything but this for a while now.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue May 21, 2019 11:35 am

Scsigs wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:30 am
Even when all of the fans have been stuck with shitty releases out of their control by default & FUNi refuses to do anything about it? Here's also something. The majority of fans WOULDN'T CARE EITHER WAY what the aspect ratio was, but more often than not, most people don't care if the aspect ratio was 4:3 as long as they have a good home release of the show on a good format & at a good price they can afford. Why do you think the majority of shows & movies stuck at 4:3 are still released in that ratio by the companies that own them & there's not a lot of complaining? Most people can either stretch or crop the images themselves or they don't care. All FUNi continually does is remove one step for the people that do that already & never provides the people who want the original aspect ratio an alternative to not do that. Can you stop being this negative already? I've not seen you say anything but this for a while now.
I mean really, would it kill them to take their raw third generation scans and just do a little clean up without bleaching the picture to oblivion with their crap automated DNR? If they were to do that and include the three standard audio tracks then i'm sure it would still sell if they did and put them in season packages. The closest thing was the Level sets but they weren't quite the same, however unfortunately it's a shame those went belly up because if they had just waited a couple more years and perhaps put them out in larger sets with more episodes then maybe they could have stood a chance. If FUNi were to do that then the fans who want a good release in 4:3 and don't like the faux widescreen versions can have it.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Tue May 21, 2019 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue May 21, 2019 11:44 am

Scsigs wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:30 am Can you stop being this negative already? I've not seen you say anything but this for a while now.
I've said this release isn't the worst thing they've put out. From what I've seen it's a 5 or 6/10 release. I don't think there's anything more positive I can say about it.
Even when all of the fans have been stuck with shitty releases out of their control by default & FUNi refuses to do anything about it?
When not enough people bought the level sets they cancelled them right away and replaced them with what they thought people wanted. If enough people did the same with this release they might've went back to the drawing board and gave us something closer to what we wanted.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue May 21, 2019 11:49 am

sintzu wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:44 am
Scsigs wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:30 am Can you stop being this negative already? I've not seen you say anything but this for a while now.
I've said this release isn't the worst thing they've put out. From what I've seen it's a 5 or 6/10 release. I don't think there's anything more positive I can say about it.
Even when all of the fans have been stuck with shitty releases out of their control by default & FUNi refuses to do anything about it?
When not enough people bought the level sets they cancelled them right away and replaced them with what they thought people wanted. If enough people did the same with this release they might've went back to the drawing board and gave us something closer to what we wanted.
It's at least from what i've seen better than the Season BD's and especially the Orange Bricks to a degree mostly because of the proper 4:3 aspect ratio being used this time around but there really isn't much of a significant improvement beyond that.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Tue May 21, 2019 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.