"Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - (Non) Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - (Non) Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by HeroR » Mon May 20, 2019 6:10 pm

Konja7 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 7:36 am
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 8:32 pmThis is why I absolutely hate the kids excuse Toei use and it's a blatant lie but they know they can get away without putting effort in writing by saying it's for kids. And unfortunately with the recent old movie BDs having some censorship shows that Toei have gotten to the point where they are believing their lie.
Has Toei make an excuse that the quality of Super is due to kids?

I don't remember Toei saying something like that.

emperior wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 4:06 am This whole “DB is aimed to kids” talk was always nonsense and I bet everyone who went to watch the movie in theatres realised it. It also doesn’t help how the nostalgia stuff they keep including is obviously aimed to long time fans, who coincidentally are also the ones who wanted Broly and Gogeta to become canon and the ones who wanted to see more of Future Trunks.

Surely Toriyama will keep writing stories in his way because that’s what he’s always done and I don’t think anyone would want Dragon Ball to become something it never wasn’t, but at least one would expect from Toei to give some more thought when filling into the blanks of Toriyama’s outlines to avoid plot holes and inconsistencies.

I lost hopes to a potential comeback of more blood because it seems like they want DB to be as marketable as possible, but at least I can hope for better written stories with more care for its consistency and possibly with a tone more similar to the stories we got in Dragon Ball Z, where there was actually tension. I can’t see them being able to have that same tension without bringing the story after the end of the manga though.
One thing to mention is that an anime aimed at teenagers or adults does not guarantee coherence at all (especially if you refer to the power level).

In fact, some of these animes care less about the rules of their world or powers than animes for kids.
No they haven't. The director/producer of the anime only said that Dragon Ball Super is aimed at the same age group as Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z. Something that everyone can enjoy, but a primary focused on young boys. It's really no different than Disney movies.

As for tone, that something Toriyama purposely aimed for. Namely, the tension is purposely downplayed since in all the movies Toriyama wrote, while there were odds, there were a lot of things played for laughs.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon May 20, 2019 6:14 pm

Shaddy wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 10:15 pm
IntangibleFancy wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 3:20 pm But it's true though. People won't even blame them for not being thorough with their sources. They both frequently checked with them (weren't there 30 between the two of them?) and had until Goku day to clarify yet they didn't. Geekdom's fans vehemently defending everything they've done regarding 2.0 and claiming they can do no wrong is my entire point.
Because that's what they thought was true, how are you not getting this? This stupid manufactroversy over something two months from now is ridiculous, and you're acting like they need to be brought to fucking justice over something that isn't even confirmed to not be happening. The initial piece of solid information which is "well see something about Super 2.0" can and likely is still true, any extrapolations of whether it was the show or the announcement, and whether the former means it would have it's announcement earlier was just a prediction extrapolated from that. Whining like a bunch of babies just because it didn't turn out to be the case is far worse than making a simple mistake when predicting something, if you ask me.
The problem with the whole 'announcement is in July' is that Ajay specifically said he asked his source and he said 'aired in July'. Plus, an animator wouldn't know about an announcement, just the air date.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Mon May 20, 2019 6:38 pm

How can you be sure of that? Why would people working on the show not have a clue as to when it would be announced? And if that's really wrong, then exactly what is happening? I refuse to believe Ajay is lying, and I really doubt someone is impersonating a Toei employee talking to him. So either something has changed or there was a misunderstanding.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon May 20, 2019 6:48 pm

The you tuber sources are not suits. They are underneath guys who wouldn't have the true scoop on things behind closed doors. Ties pull the trigger, shooting at the public. Letting everyone know there is no Super happening.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon May 20, 2019 7:12 pm

Shaddy wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:38 pm How can you be sure of that? Why would people working on the show not have a clue as to when it would be announced? And if that's really wrong, then exactly what is happening? I refuse to believe Ajay is lying, and I really doubt someone is impersonating a Toei employee talking to him. So either something has changed or there was a misunderstanding.
Because animators would know when their work will air, not when an announcement of their work will happened. And that is where the July date came from, animators.

And I never said anything about trusting or not trusting Ajay. I'm saying that Ajay said several times that the date was a an 'aired' date not an announcement since he asked his sources several times to be sure and they said 'aired in July'. Why they were wrong, I'm not going to pretend to guess. I'm just repeating what Ajay said when people asked him several times if there was a misunderstanding.
Kanassa wrote:

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Mon May 20, 2019 7:30 pm

Miracles wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:48 pm The you tuber sources are not suits. They are underneath guys who wouldn't have the true scoop on things behind closed doors. Ties pull the trigger, shooting at the public. Letting everyone know there is no Super happening.
What does this even mean?
HeroR wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:12 pm Because animators would know when their work will air, not when an announcement of their work will happened. And that is where the July date came from, animators.

And I never said anything about trusting or not trusting Ajay. I'm saying that Ajay said several times that the date was a an 'aired' date not an announcement since he asked his sources several times to be sure and they said 'aired in July'. Why they were wrong, I'm not going to pretend to guess. I'm just repeating what Ajay said when people asked him several times if there was a misunderstanding.
Okay, but so long as we have no way to tell that something isn't still happening, you need to find some excuse. You can't just say "they were wrong the show's not real" without accusing someone or lying or misunderstanding, or of something unexpected changing at a higher level than the people they talked to.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon May 20, 2019 7:48 pm

Shaddy wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:30 pm
Miracles wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:48 pm The you tuber sources are not suits. They are underneath guys who wouldn't have the true scoop on things behind closed doors. Ties pull the trigger, shooting at the public. Letting everyone know there is no Super happening.
The sources didn't come from head executives of TOEI. Therefore lower sources should be taken with a grain of salt.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Mon May 20, 2019 7:54 pm

Oooooookaaaaay? I didn't deny that. I'm not saying skepticism is wrong, but I'm not going to ignore what they said.

Moreover, Toei denying the show doesn't mean they're telling the truth. That's a PR move, we see it all the fuckin time. When an animator says the show they worked on does in fact EXIST, there isn't much justification to say that they're lying.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon May 20, 2019 9:58 pm

Shaddy wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:30 pm
HeroR wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:12 pm Because animators would know when their work will air, not when an announcement of their work will happened. And that is where the July date came from, animators.

Okay, but so long as we have no way to tell that something isn't still happening, you need to find some excuse. You can't just say "they were wrong the show's not real" without accusing someone or lying or misunderstanding, or of something unexpected changing at a higher level than the people they talked to.
Why do I need an excuse for something not happening? Ajay's source apparently got it wrong and Ajay himself admitted it because he talked to the people in question and they told him 'air in July'.

Why don't you asked Ajay why his sources were wrong.
Kanassa wrote:

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Mon May 20, 2019 10:19 pm

Well because we still don't know they were wrong. This is going in circles again. Even if the show doesn't air by that point that could be because it was delayed, when the information they were given at the time was correct. And again, my only point is that jumping to "they're all dirty liars" when we can't even provably say the July date isn't true is a bit unfair.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Tue May 21, 2019 12:47 am

Don't know if something can be announced there but we got new locations and dates for the DragonBall World Adventure tour:

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue May 21, 2019 8:45 am

TheRed259 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 12:47 am Don't know if something can be announced there but we got new locations and dates for the DragonBall World Adventure tour:

So, either they'll kick things off with SDCC or sooner depending on when the event in Japan will take place.

Konja7
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Konja7 » Tue May 21, 2019 12:41 pm

HeroR wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 9:58 pmWhy do I need an excuse for something not happening? Ajay's source apparently got it wrong and Ajay himself admitted it because he talked to the people in question and they told him 'air in July'.

Why don't you asked Ajay why his sources were wrong.
Shaddy wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:19 pm Well because we still don't know they were wrong. This is going in circles again. Even if the show doesn't air by that point that could be because it was delayed, when the information they were given at the time was correct. And again, my only point is that jumping to "they're all dirty liars" when we can't even provably say the July date isn't true is a bit unfair.
I think there is a problem in their comunication because the meaning of the word "wrong".

If Super 2 was delayed (this is the most likely), Shaddy doesn't think Ajay and Geekdom leaks were "wrong", since these were correct at some point.

However, many people will consider their leaks to be "wrong", because these don't happened at the end.

HeroR didn't accuse Ajay and Geekdom of lying.

vashter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by vashter » Tue May 21, 2019 2:01 pm

Michsi wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:45 am
TheRed259 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 12:47 am Don't know if something can be announced there but we got new locations and dates for the DragonBall World Adventure tour:

So, either they'll kick things off with SDCC or sooner depending on when the event in Japan will take place.
Myself and one guy post this a couple page ago, a lot people forgot bout it.. SDCC is coming in July however.

Spencer_23
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Spencer_23 » Tue May 21, 2019 6:10 pm

Shaddy wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:19 pm Well because we still don't know they were wrong. This is going in circles again. Even if the show doesn't air by that point that could be because it was delayed, when the information they were given at the time was correct. And again, my only point is that jumping to "they're all dirty liars" when we can't even provably say the July date isn't true is a bit unfair.

Lmao imagine typing this out.

Alright guys my sources telling me Super is airing October. If it doesn’t air by then my source wasn’t wrong, they just changed it up. Trust me 👍🏼

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue May 21, 2019 6:40 pm

Michsi wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:45 am

I’m betting the Japan event in just Jump Festa
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Tue May 21, 2019 6:47 pm

Spencer_23 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 6:10 pm Lmao imagine typing this out.

Alright guys my sources telling me Super is airing October. If it doesn’t air by then my source wasn’t wrong, they just changed it up. Trust me 👍🏼
Are you going to pretend that change of plans are never a thing in marketing & bussiness management?
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Tue May 21, 2019 6:59 pm

Thats such a copout on not accepting that you were wrong. "uh change of plans guys". If thats how you refuse responsibility then why should anyone give you credit/take you seriously?

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Tue May 21, 2019 7:26 pm

RecolorSaiyan wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 6:59 pm Thats such a copout on not accepting that you were wrong. "uh change of plans guys". If thats how you refuse responsibility then why should anyone give you credit/take you seriously?
1* We know they have sources
2* They have no reasons to lie
3* A "change of plans" can happen, is not out of the realm of possibilities

My only problem right now is that Geekdom refuses to say something, Ajay already apologised.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue May 21, 2019 8:28 pm

As for plans change. Yes they do. But for a show to start production Toei must've have been 100% sure of the air date otherwise it is wasted money to start production of a show with a release that is subject to change, especially given Toei would have to send info about the show out to other companies such as Bandai (for Broly Bandai got the designs one month after Shintani finished them). So Toei delaying release is gonna affect other things and end up costing money. So I doubt Toei would be foolish to start production without 100% release date set.

Edit- Above is assuming there is no retelling.