Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Scsigs » Sun May 19, 2019 10:08 pm

ruler9871 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 8:54 pm 1. Fixing Broly is pretty easy, so that doesn't say much to his favor. Even then, he "fixed" him by essentially turning him into another Gohan instead of improving on his Movie 8 characterization (which was what most people expected before the film was released).

2. 90's Bardock being better than DB Minus has nothing to do with how Goku was written, but how Bardock himself was written (and how Toriyama basically ruined him in Minus).

3. Toriyama's outline/direction is precisely the main source of problems in both versions of Super, not his absense. Goku's Flanderization (including the "no kissing" gag), the general lack of tension in Super, the stupid ending of the Black arc and other problems were all Toriyama's decisions, not Toei's or Toyotaro's.
Yeah, fixing Broly was easy. He had nothing, so giving him anything was an improvement. I still credit him with actually making it GOOD, though. Just the changes that he gave him were enough to make it automatically better.

I...don't think I said that either had anything to do with the other. Did I? Because that's not what I meant to say.

You forget, however, that Toriyama only wanted Goku more like he was in the manga as opposed to how he actually turned out. It WAS his idea that Goku be more selfish. However, his lack of involvement lead to Toei's writers overcorrecting, as I said, & made Goku one of the most selfish people ever. Even then, though, it's inconsistently so depending on the writers & showrunners behind the scripts. And, yeah, Toriyama made some stupid decisions in his outlines, not defending everything, but his lack of involvement in the writing of the anime at the very least has lead to problems. Toriyama is not the person behind a lot of Super's faults. He just plans out the stories of the arcs. Toei's staff are the ones who're left to fill in the blanks. They're at fault when it's not a huge plot development.

Even then, let's say Toriyama's completely bad at writing Super's outlines, not just that he's had some really bad ideas here & there. If Toei had competent showrunners & writers with specific ideas, plot maps, & the like planned out with a logically-flowing story, as well as changing Toriyama's ideas to be better for the stories, then the show would instantly be better as a whole. However, the lack of a cohesive writing of the stories of the arcs lead to inconsistencies, rushed developments, & bad writing.
Look at the Goku Black arc. It has a lot in common with the Danny Phantom special, "The Ultimate Enemy", but with some differences here & there. The only problems I had with the Danny Phantom special were that Danny's future self seemed to think he could make the future he comes from happen, even though logically his younger self wouldn't make it happen because he now knows about it, & that we never saw much of the original timeline that started the event hat made that terrible future. I have one of those problems here; the second, but a whole list of other problems like Trunks being a Gary Stu, Zamasu's hatred of mortals not being given enough justifiable weight, Toei stating that Goku Black comes from the same timeline we see in the show, just without Beerus stopping him from killing Gowasu (not helped by the animators reusing the animation untouched for a flashback) even though the timeline he came from, logically, is one where neither Goku Black nor future Trunks never came back to, the rushed pacing of the final few episodes, the retcon of potara fusion to bring Vegetto back but depower him because they didn't wanna use the fusion dance for some reason, & Trunks & Mai not having more grief over their timeline being wiped from existence & being cool with going to an earlier timeline Whis is gonna make because SUDDENLY that can be done apparently. Now, some of these things are Toriyama's fault, directly or indirectly, but the rest are the Toei writers' faults. In theory, Toriyama's original outline could work, but it NEEDED a lot more care, time, & attention to detail, as anything involving time travel does, otherwise we get the Future Trunks Arc in the anime. Granted, I don't think the way Toyotaro did it was much better because HIS ending made no sense whatsoever. I'm betting his was more consistent, though, because he's the only person writing the manga & he had more time to write it out. If the writers or showrunner at the time cared to make the story the best way possible, they would've done better at adapting his outlines to make everything work. Plain & simple.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Shintoki
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shintoki » Sun May 19, 2019 11:10 pm

i don't know why is this controversial but

DBS broly =/= TV super, as it. not connected and each are a part of a different continuity
PurestEvil wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:21 pm You could also, y'know, become a real buddhist
DragonBallFoodie wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:18 am Isn't this technically worshipping the Monkey King?

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Tue May 21, 2019 3:30 am

For me, Kai should have ended at Cell saga.

Why? Let's say I felt like the Majin Buu saga didn't have the same "freshness" that the previous sagas had.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue May 21, 2019 4:08 am

Without it we wouldnt have had the return of Mario Castañeda and so on to the Main TV Anime.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue May 21, 2019 10:53 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 4:08 am Without it we wouldn't have had the return of Mario Castañeda and so on to the Main TV Anime.
Oh no, a casting call for the Spanish dub not all of us watch or really know about. We certainly couldn't have lived without THAT.

On the real, though, who knows if they would've gotten him back when they dubbed Super or not. On top of that, it's something mostly the Spanish speakers care about.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue May 21, 2019 12:37 pm

One unpopular opnion I have is that I actually kinda liked the Goten Black theory. It's stupid and silly but I can't help thinking about it.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue May 21, 2019 3:37 pm

Scsigs wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:53 am
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 4:08 am Without it we wouldn't have had the return of Mario Castañeda and so on to the Main TV Anime.
Oh no, a casting call for the Spanish dub not all of us watch or really know about. We certainly couldn't have lived without THAT.

On the real, though, who knows if they would've gotten him back when they dubbed Super or not. On top of that, it's something mostly the Spanish speakers care about.

Am I missing something? The English speaking fandom drops to their knees to fellate the Funi cast all the time.

Is the Spanish fandom not allow to hold their dub actors in high regard?

Nokra
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nokra » Tue May 21, 2019 3:43 pm

DBS is better than DBGT.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue May 21, 2019 3:55 pm

Nokra wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 3:43 pm DBS is better than DBGT.
I don't think that's unpopular. If anything it's a very popular opinion.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Nokra
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nokra » Tue May 21, 2019 5:43 pm

sintzu wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 3:55 pm
Nokra wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 3:43 pm DBS is better than DBGT.
I don't think that's unpopular. If anything it's a very popular opinion.
Really? A lot of times I see people on YouTube saying the how great and underrated gt is and how bad super is. Maybe I'm just looking in the gt fanboy section of YouTube too much.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Tue May 21, 2019 5:49 pm

There's certainly a sect of YT dedicated to shitting on Super. My biggest problem is that it never seems to be for the right reasons.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue May 21, 2019 7:00 pm

Shaddy wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 5:49 pm There's certainly a sect of YT dedicated to shitting on Super. My biggest problem is that it never seems to be for the right reasons.
What reasons do they usually give?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue May 21, 2019 7:01 pm

OF COURSE!

lol Raul Julia.

But seriously, I made no presumption to say otherwise. Why do you seem to condemn me for being happy that Mario Castañeda returned? Because you certainly seem very happy with Kai giving Funimation a chance to do Z right "Oh no, a casting call for the English dub not all of us watch or really know about. We certainly couldn't have lived without THAT" which is almost the same. It only affects the English speaking fandom. At no point did I condemn you for this. I'm really hurt by this since I REALLY like you and respect you as a poster here on Kanzenshuu.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue May 21, 2019 7:18 pm

I'm pretty sure Scsigs was being sarcastic.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue May 21, 2019 7:36 pm

We know. But still its uncalled for. Why does he have to say something so rude like that only to say "Its sarcasm lol"

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue May 21, 2019 9:25 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 3:37 pm

Am I missing something? The English speaking fandom drops to their knees to fellate the Funi cast all the time.

I don't think I said that, did I? I was just saying that's something only viewers of the Spanish dub would notice or really care about the most. They're well in their rights to enjoy their dub. Hell, I wouldn't expect them to care about the English dub's castings. I mean, I don't even care about the majority of the Japanese castings to be honest because it's not the dub I watch most of the time.
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 7:01 pm OF COURSE!

lol Raul Julia.

But seriously, I made no presumption to say otherwise. Why do you seem to condemn me for being happy that Mario Castañeda returned? Because you certainly seem very happy with Kai giving Funimation a chance to do Z right "Oh no, a casting call for the English dub not all of us watch or really know about. We certainly couldn't have lived without THAT" which is almost the same. It only affects the English speaking fandom. At no point did I condemn you for this. I'm really hurt by this since I REALLY like you and respect you as a poster here on Kanzenshuu.
Sorry, I was mostly joking around. I don't care if you like the Spanish dub. You're well within your rights to, since that's your prerogative.
And, I don't think the situations are the same between the English & Spanish dubs. They had an entire cast change that got mostly remedied in TFC. The English dub had the majority of the main cast back, since they'd never left the roles, it's just secondary & tertiary roles that were recast & most of the recasts have been largely good ones where the Spanish ones were seen as not. The script was also much improved whereas the Spanish dub of Z was already good as far as I know, though correct me if I'm wrong.
But, yeah, sorry. My point was that only Spanish dub fans would notice that stuff.
8000 Saiyan wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 7:18 pm I'm pretty sure Scsigs was being sarcastic.
^
I was just joking around mostly.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue May 21, 2019 9:42 pm

Here’s an unpopular opinion that I’ve recently come to have: I don’t think the original version of Goku’s “I am” speech was really that great. MistareFusion/Gaffer Tape already expressed this view in his Dragon Ball Dissection series, and while I didn’t initially agree with it, upon reflection, I am starting to think that he had a point.

Don’t get me wrong, the original version of the speech is definitely more appropriate for Goku than the whole “I am the hope of the universe” shtick that FUNimation did, but even as far as its original version is concerned, the speech kind of came out of nowhere, and seemed like it was only there for the sake of coolness or something. Goku barely even knew what a Super Saiyan was at that point. He heard Vegeta mention it, but he had no way of knowing what it meant, so why would he suddenly make a big exclamation about having become one? For that matter, how did he know that having a pure heart was what helped him become a Super Saiyan? Not only did Vegeta never mention that to him, but such a requirement never even came up until that point.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue May 21, 2019 9:55 pm

Scsigs wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:25 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 3:37 pm

I don't think I said that, did I? I was just saying that's something only viewers of the Spanish dub would notice or really care about the most. They're well in their rights to enjoy their dub. Hell, I wouldn't expect them to care about the English dub's castings. I mean, I don't even care about the majority of the Japanese castings to be honest because it's not the dub I watch most of the time.
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 7:01 pm OF COURSE!

lol Raul Julia.

Sorry, I was mostly joking around. I don't care if you like the Spanish dub. You're well within your rights to, since that's your prerogative.
And, I don't think the situations are the same between the English & Spanish dubs. They had an entire cast change that got mostly remedied in TFC. The English dub had the majority of the main cast back, since they'd never left the roles, it's just secondary & tertiary roles that were recast & most of the recasts have been largely good ones where the Spanish ones were seen as not. The script was also much improved whereas the Spanish dub of Z was already good as far as I know, though correct me if I'm wrong.
But, yeah, sorry. My point was that only Spanish dub fans would notice that stuff.
8000 Saiyan wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 7:18 pm I'm pretty sure Scsigs was being sarcastic.
^
I was just joking around mostly.
If its just a misunderstood joke I must apologize. Sorry for being so accusative

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue May 21, 2019 10:03 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:55 pm If its just a misunderstood joke I must apologize. Sorry for being so accusative.
I said, "on the real, though," signaling you shouldn't have taken the first part of that seriously. Then, I said something more constructive, like who knows if TFC didn't exist, would he have been brought back for Super? Who knows.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue May 21, 2019 10:23 pm

I'm kinda dumb so I missed that. Sorry.

Anyway. I'm glad that Kai got to finish because the Funimation dub got to finish their improved dub!